It's so cold...

BigHock

BAMF
The last night of skiing and it is a balmy 7 degrees Fahrenheit. So cold it hurts to breathe!

Why did our ancestors settle in these regions? Fucking idiots. I'm just as stupid for continuing the tradition.

Thats -13 Celsius for our non US members, and US members that have forgotten where they come from.

FUCK!

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
It’s still getting down to the mid/low-teens C* late in the evening (that’s mid-fifties F* for people who aren’t able to deal with a temperature scale based on logic), so I feel your pain. BRRRRRRRR!!!:p

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
We used to ride snowmobiles in South Dakota, sometimes it would get -20 degree or colder! Wish they would have had grip warmers back then! When it got that cold and riding the snow, I'd wear a breath warmer to keep my lungs from freezing!
But man in BFE South Dakota, it was so nice, dark skies nothing but stars, no people, big ass snow drifts.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
sounds like perfect semen making weather! lol

Suck it up butter cup! :D Notice how Hengrid doesnt complain about cold...

OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
Based on logic. That made me laugh out loud. Good call.

I never got got into snow machines. Then when I worked at dealer who sold a ton of them, and the snow fags gave the goldwingers a run for their money. I would love to not have what they needed.

Terry_Schiavo

It’s still getting down to the mid/low-teens C* late in the evening (that’s mid-fifties F* for people who aren’t able to deal with a temperature scale based on logic), so I feel your pain. BRRRRRRRR!!!:p
we were camping in my motorhome and it got into the 30s at night. Well it was like 75 during the day so I had the windows open. My son pulled the shades down over the open windows. Of course he was buried in 3 blankets. I felt bad for my poor dog who was shivering and got under the covers with me. To share in the blame... I turned the furnace on and set the temp prior to falling asleep. Of course I forgot to turn on the propane valve that feeds the furnace...lol. Lucky I remembered I had some space heaters while racking my brain why the heater wasnt working...BUT we were only on 15 amp power so I couldnt run both. Wasnt til the morning when I figured out the windows were open...so I had some choice words for my son...lol. I mean Ive camped in cold cold weather... and even without the heater on the temp never gets below 60 degrees. Thermostat was showing 44... whoops! Given the chance... the heater would have laughed at the open windows as that mother fucker blows hot air through the 12 vents in the floor!

OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
sounds like perfect semen making weather! lol

Suck it up butter cup! :D Notice how Hengrid doesnt complain about cold...
:lol:

Im pretty sure I broke my urethra on a piss break in the glen. I heard a "click" in the shake process.

Master-Cylinder

I ran my RS250 at Roebling Road (Savannah) in a winter series once, it was in the 30's! Half the field crashed at turn one after the start. I survived, may have won.
Fucking 250 snorts in the cold!:up:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
You haven't lived until you've slept in a snow cave. So cold you're uncertain you'll ever wake up, so drained you don't really care.

Master-Cylinder

You haven't lived until you've slept in a snow cave. So cold you're uncertain you'll ever wake up, so drained you don't really care.
I spent a few winter weeks living in a tent and sleeping in an army surplus mummy bag in the Colorado Rockies at the 8,000 ft. level.
Then some very good people helped me out.

Or how aboot a waterbed with a broken heater? If you wake up, you wished you'd died.
Sure, it takes a day or so before you notice it's broken, but by morning, YOU KNOW!

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Cold is in your mind.. it was 18 degrees when I entered the ocean.. I'm conditioning for This Years Polar Bear Swim. My knee is pretty fucked but I'm still going to do a endurance plunge. Water temp is still good around 48 degrees so it's fine for ten to twenty minuets.. then it gets cold. It will be Cold here for the next ten days.. I don't expect many people to be in the water this year.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
When it breaks 38*C for the tenth day in a row (that’s 100*F for the Celsius-alistically-challenged) in April, I’ll be back to battle with you guys- with heat I can be competitive- with cold, not so much...:lol:

rg500

BAMF
Jeez...winter camping...and now you go for the outhouse....-40F is the same as -40C..
first lift the lid, and sit down with your pants on. Squirm around a bit,try to the seat warm.
then try to go.
coldest I have ever been in was -69 F...Cassiar BC

Sayre

po no mo
Santa Clara, CA, via Bum-Fuck-Egypt, Louisiana
I have zero knowledge or any or that. Spent all my time in warmer climes. I've never seen below 8 or 9 air temp. Probably experienced sub-20 less than a dozen times unless I was in a walk in freezer.

NORTY

BAMF
Vista hit 80F today.

Had the windows open and almost had to run the A/C.

Oh the humanity!

You're in New York now, right?

I'm going to be near Albany, my friends rented a cabin in a state park there for NYE. Gonna be cold as fuck, I have no idea what the hell I was thinking.

OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
You're in New York now, right?

I'm going to be near Albany, my friends rented a cabin in a state park there for NYE. Gonna be cold as fuck, I have no idea what the hell I was thinking.
Yes. Western NY.

If you have any tactical winter clothing you may survive the weekend. And remember, NY state frowns upon guns loaded with more than 7 rounds, and any magazines that hold more than 7 rounds. I know this narrows down your options on what to carry. You'll have to leave the AK home :wink:

GTbusa

Cool dude, great photographer
It was so cold today... that my plane wouldn't start... so I had to push start it. :cheesy:

Austin_F

BAMF+
It was so cold, I saw a Democrat with his hands in his own pockets.

Can't believe nobody beat me to it this year.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Dang it :eek: sure hope i winterized my shit properly this year :idea:

Stetson

BAMF
Dang it :eek: sure hope i winterized my shit properly this year :idea:
They ain't lying, Sail! I wish I had enough room to put all my trucks inside. Those old diesels are going to be uncooperative this morning.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
He is good with a ten round mag in NYS .. but that "assault style weapon" has to have been owned before the NYS safe act went into effect.. that ten round mag goes for hand guns too.. EXCEPT in NYC where if you don't fall under LEOSA dont bring a damn thing there. :)

Terry_Schiavo

why is anal strapped? He uses his face as a boxing mitt. Im guessing he didnt consider the reality of "having a plan til you get punched in the face"...lol

Wretch

amazingly graceful
After -30F it doesn't matter as any exposed flesh will freeze inside of 15 minutes.

-65F is as cold as I've been in sans wind chill but, off the scale, sub-100F, while standing under 80mph winds in -30F.

At -25F I've slept in a one man shelter I built out in the woods in type II Army sleeping bag.
It got up to 32F with the small survival candle burning.
You are tempted to sleep in your clothes but, that can prove fatal as it negates the function of the sleeping bag.
You have to strip down to underwear/T-shirt and no socks.
Still pretty miserable and getting dressed is tricky after bringing your cold clothes into the bag to warm them up.

If you break a sweat in subzero temps then freezing to death is a good possibility.

Stay Clean
Don't Overheat
Loose Layers of clothing
Stay Dry

Terry_Schiavo

if you have proper clothing on... ie breathable moisture wicking fabrics, why would staying clothed be fatal?
I guarantee no Artic explorers are nood in their shelters!

From my own experience... riding from 75 degree weather into sub 20 degree...well NEVER wear multiple layers of cotton socks!! Wool or lycra only!
My feet sweated though the 5 pairs of socks effectively making my feet frozen @ 85mph!

OP
OP
BigHock

BigHock

BAMF
He is good with a ten round mag in NYS .. but that "assault style weapon" has to have been owned before the NYS safe act went into effect.. that ten round mag goes for hand guns too.. EXCEPT in NYC where if you don't fall under LEOSA dont bring a damn thing there. :)
Yes, he can have a ten round mag, but he better not have more than 7 rounds in that mag. No more than 7 rounds in your gun period.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
if you have proper clothing on... ie breathable moisture wicking fabrics, why would staying clothed be fatal?
I guarantee no Artic explorers are nood in their shelters!

From my own experience... riding from 75 degree weather into sub 20 degree...well NEVER wear multiple layers of cotton socks!! Wool or lycra only!
My feet sweated though the 5 pairs of socks effectively making my feet frozen @ 85mph!
Because you'll overheat and sweat.
Sweat freezes even when wicked away.
You cannot stay in the bag indefinitely.

Long johns may be acceptable in the bag.

Where do you think I was surviving at those temps?

I always wore wool socks first, then cotton socks over them and then boot liners, boots.

Just wool socks in vapor barrier boots.
You do need to remove them to wring the sweat out of socks and either change them out or put them back on.

Wool is the only material I'm aware of that continues to insulate even when wet.

Terry_Schiavo

Because you'll overheat and sweat.
Sweat freezes even when wicked away.
You cannot stay in the bag indefinitely.
Long johns may be acceptable in the bag.
Where do you think I was surviving at those temps?
I always wore wool socks first, then cotton socks over them and then boot liners, boots.
Just wool socks in vapor barrier boots.
You do need to remove them to wring the sweat out of socks and either change them out or put them back on.
Wool is the only material I'm aware of that continues to insulate even when wet.
I understand that but the point of the layers is so the wet moves away from the body??
I guess there is a point where the moisture generated by the body will not evaporate which I guess could be supplemented by activated charcoal or some kind dessicant.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Oh I left out the part of ten at the range ONLY.. 7 every where else.. here in the city even the shot guns can only hold 5 and have to have blocks in them. This Gov fucked this entire state along with the City mayors.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I understand that but the point of the layers is so the wet moves away from the body??
I guess there is a point where the moisture generated by the body will not evaporate which I guess could be supplemented by activated charcoal or some kind dessicant.
Layers mean dead air space between layers and must be loose or you lose the insulating effect and restrict blood flow.

In sub zero temps with no where to warm yourself is the problem.

Fall through ice and get soaked?
Even at 60F you can die of exposure.
Best strip off wet clothes and dry them and find something to dry yourself off with.
Sub zero temps give one no time to fuck around...
...you either get dry or you die.

Terry_Schiavo

not the layers im thinking off. On a cold day (30s-40s) I wear a compression shirt and a jacket over that. Both fit
snug but the jacket gets soaked with my sweat. Now in artic I would imagine a fluffy down type jacket might deter the sweats ability to evaporate. Last I remember artic operators all wear some kinda compression layer. Im sure the jacket tech has reduced the "bulk" of the out layer.

For several years Kim and I enjoyed snowmobiling, with our wreck in 03
and Kim getting plates in her legs and getting whiplash that ended that.

We would gather on Friday nights up here and ride 40+ miles to a fish fry in
MN. At the fish fry you would see 50 to 100 sleds parked around. We had a
trailer that hooked up behind our sled and we would take trips with it also.

We usually had 10 or so sleds every Friday riding up here on that dinner run.
The trail system was groomed every week and they did a great job.

My trick was to ride a mile or so and then lift the engine cover and place my
finger tips on the heads to warm them up, after that the hand warmers worked
great for me.

Our high is -7 today, -25 tonight and -17 for a high Saturday, Saturday night's
low will be -28.

It use to keep the rif raf out but they are showing up in larger numbers up here.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Layers mean dead air space between layers and must be loose or you lose the insulating effect and restrict blood flow.

In sub zero temps with no where to warm yourself is the problem.

Fall through ice and get soaked?
Even at 60F you can die of exposure.
Best strip off wet clothes and dry them and find something to dry yourself off with.
Sub zero temps give one no time to fuck around...
...you either get dry or you die.
Water temp was again 48 today.. but outside temp was only 16 on this morning swim.. I got pretty cold around the 15 minute mark as every time exposed skin hit the air above water it stung as the air tried to freeze the salt water to my skin.

As soon as I hit the beach I take the shorts, off towel off and put on dry clothes.. then do a slow walk to get the blood flowing and start to bring temps up.. I still can't beat the endurance times the Old Russian guys I used to meet there.. all have now passed... sadly I enter the ocean alone these days.

Terry_Schiavo

Water temp was again 48 today.. but outside temp was only 16 on this morning swim.. I got pretty cold around the 15 minute mark as every time exposed skin hit the air above water it stung as the air tried to freeze the salt water to my skin.
As soon as I hit the beach I take the shorts, off towel off and put on dry clothes.. then do a slow walk to get the blood flowing and start to bring temps up.. I still can't beat the endurance times the Old Russian guys I used to meet there.. all have now passed... sadly I enter the ocean alone these days.
do you ever take your body temp when doing those swims? I could handle the extreme cold in a proper wet suit. Was often amused when the air temp would freeze my long hair out surfing.

Top Bottom