It's hot here

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
No Safe Shed has ever survived being hit by a CAT5 hurricane or an F5/EF5 tornado.

Leaving a slab-sided shelter sitting ON the ground, does nothing to make it safer than a shelter buried IN the ground.

Our shelter already doesn't fill up with ground water. Plus, it stays nice and cool inside in the summer, and nice and warm in the winter.

In all of recorded history, there have been exactly six F5/EF5 tornadoes to hit what is now the state of Texas. One of them hit Jarrell, near us, with winds in excess of 260 mph:

The people we bought our shelter from, lived through it.
Well, I guess you better take it up with the people at Safe Shed. Maybe sue them for false claims and advertising.

BigGar

high on placebo
Thought aboot it. It can withstand a CAT5 hurricane, and probably an EF5 tornado. Plus, it won't fill up with ground water .

View attachment 105060
So that's got to have some sort of foundation pillars deep into the ground or something, right?
Otherwise you can have a very strong box, but if it's tumbling across a field with you inside, that would be uncomfortable.

Z

BAMF+

Kirk

BAMF
Weight = 24K :eek:
Tornadoes don't care.

The F5 that hit Jarrell in '97, stripped a foot and a half of earth off the ground, removed over 500 feet of paved roadway, and threw numerous cars and trucks over half a mile.

That outhouse would be going for a ride...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I'm a storm junkie ... one night a few months ago our towns tornado sirens went off ..1143 pm..I'm outside looking for it.

My bucket list is to see a 4 or better up close and LIVE to show the pics.

Kirk

BAMF
I'm a storm junkie ... one night a few months ago our towns tornado sirens went off ..1143 pm..I'm outside looking for it.

We dig that "hand of God" stuff too. A tremendous thunderstorm is great fun to us.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass

Been there, done that. Wichita Falls, TX April 1979.
Scared the fuck out of me. Underground shelter was less than 1/4 mile from tornado.
Watched it destroy my Uncle's house about 100 yds away.

April 10, 1979 - The tornado, which was part of a tornado outbreak in the Red River valley area, began at 5:50 pm CST on the southwest flank of its parent supercell thunderstorm about 3 miles east-northeast of Holliday. Witnesses say the several distinct, small vortices were visible during the formative stage of the tornado as it moved along the Fort Worth and Denver railroad into Wichita County. Two

storage tanks were blown away and several homes were unroofed near Farm Road 2650 as the tornado approached Wichita Falls. Six cross-country steel transmission towers were destroyed just east of Farm Road 2650.

About the time the tornado entered town, it changed appearance, becoming one large black cloud of condensation and debris. The tornado was about a half-mile wide when it struck Memorial Stadium, snapping light standards and causing heavy damage to the field house. McNeil Junior High school was next in the path of the tornado and the school was severely damaged. The western portion of the school building was crushed by the intense winds.

The tornado then moved east-northeast into the Western hills neighborhood, south of Southwest Parkway. Several apartment complexes and many homes were destroyed, with several of the first deaths occurring in this area. The tornado expanded in size as it crossed Southwest Parkway, throwing automobiles about and leveling a number of businesses, including a bank and a fire station.

The twister was almost a mile wide when it entered the Faith Village neighborhood on the north side of the east-west oriented Southwest Parkway. Most of the homes in Faith Village were demolished. Ben Milam Elementary School was heavily damaged, as the cafeteria-auditorium was completely destroyed and exterior class rooms were pummeled by flying debris. The inner hallways would have been the only relatively safe shelter in the building. Surprisingly, very few fatalities occurred in Faith Village. Most people heeded the warnings and took shelter inside interior, small rooms in their homes. Most of the destroyed homes had some of these interior walls still standing after the tornado.

After moving out of Faith Village, the tornado flattened several businesses, including a restaurant, on Kemp Boulevard. Three people were killed in the restaurant. A number of people were also killed or injured in the parking lot of Sikes Senter (sic) Mall, also on Kemp Boulevard. Some of these people attempted to run to their cars from the mall.

Inside the mall, portions of the JC Penney store collapsed while other stores sustained light to moderate damage. No one was killed and only several major injuries occurred among the approximately one thousand shoppers who were in the mall. The mall was on the north side of the tornado path and appeared to escape the most violent winds. Near the center of the tornado and about a half mile south of the mall, a church was demolished with one person killed inside the building.

The tornado then crossed a short span of open fields before moving into the Colonial Park area. More widespread home destruction occurred in Colonial Park and several more apartment complexes were demolished. The heaviest damage in the apartments occurred in the second story of two-story buildings.

The tornado then swept through the Southmoor area, destroying homes and a shopping center. After crossing U.S. Highway 281, the twister then struck the Sun Valley neighborhood and destroyed additional homes, apartments, and businesses on the south side of U.S. Highway 287. A large number of cars were smashed and some people were killed along U.S. Highway 287. Some of these people had stopped their cars under an overpass on the highway, seeking shelter from the storm.

The tornado leveled a mobile home park on the north side of U.S. Highway 287, but residents had evacuated that area and no fatalities occurred in the park. The tornado then destroyed several industrial plants before moving into Clay County just south of TX State Highway 79.

The tornado was 1.5 miles wide as it passed through 8 miles of residential area in Wichita Falls. The intense damage averaged between one quarter and one half of a mile in width. Forty-two people were killed outright by the storm and 3 others died as a result of heart attacks.

Further statistics reveal that 25 of the deaths were auto-related. Sixteen of these 25 were people who entered their cars trying to evade the tornado. Eleven of the 16 people left homes that were not even damaged. Eight persons were killed outside, 4 were killed in homes or apartments, and 4 others died in public buildings. Seventeen hundred injuries were reported in Wichita Falls.

Total damage in Wichita Falls was estimated at $400 million (in 1979 dollars). Three thousand and ninety-five homes were destroyed and 600 were damaged. One thousand and sixty-two apartment units and condominiums were demolished and 130 damaged. In addition, 93 mobile homes were devastated. It is estimated that 5,000 families, consisting of almost 20,000 people, were left homeless in Wichita Falls.

The tornado continued into Clay County, resulting in no deaths, but 40 additional injuries. About $15 million of damage occurred as the tornado destroyed homes immediately south of TX State Highway 79, from Wichita Falls into the Dean and Petrolia areas.

One of those homes was my Uncle's.

The tornado exited Texas about 4 miles east of Byers, uprooting over 200 trees along the Red River.

Dissipation of the tornado occurred northwest of Waurika, Oklahoma, bringing the path length to 36 miles in Texas, and 11 miles in Oklahoma. Minor wind damage and hail to 2 inches in diameter occurred north of the tornado track in Wichita Falls, in conjunction with its parent supercell. Also, tornado survivors said that some golf ball size hail fell prior to and immediately after the tornado.

There is no doubt that hundreds of lives were saved by the news media and siren warnings. Amateur radio storm spotters turned in the first report of the storm, which allowed 5 to 10 minutes of valuable warning time. This followed an earlier warning at 5:08 pm, due to the Rocky Point tornado. Undoubtedly, this earlier warning and the afternoon Vernon tornado had primed the Wichita Falls populace to the threat of additional tornado activity.

Jackshit

BAMF
2 nights ago, at 11pm, it was still 100. Starting to give up on even trying to keep some plants alive, watering every day .. the last 2 months water bills were 600 buks.
Same thing up here in OKC. Brutally hot with no end in sight. Cant put enough water down, our soil in my area is just sand. All the grass is brown, hedges dead and now the trees are looking bad.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Plus, it stays nice and cool inside in the summer, and nice and warm in the winter.
Being in the natural gas industry, I have an interest in subsoil temperature. I measure the temperature 3 feet below grade and check it fairly often.

Right now, it's 71 degrees at that depth in northeast Ohio, and likely about the same for a large surrounding area. It won't go much above that this year. Over winter the temperature drops, obviously. We got down to 36 degrees at that depth late last winter (beginning of March).

I would expect your temperatures to be well above mine, although at the depth your safe house is set, I'd expect it to be cool and comfortable year-round.

The weather in the desert is pretty wild this year. Was at the ranch all last week and Monday night had a storm coming in about 5. Doing some boring to determine pollution levels and put the rig down and call it a day. There is a power plant north of the ranch gate and the power lines coming off of it had a bad day. Must have been some real intense microbursts to knock down 6 of these towers.
Storm Damage 7-25-22 Longhorn Rd.jpg

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
It's my assumption the oppressive heat Bowtie is suffering is Karma. And, a prelude to the heat he will suffer at end of life. Wretch can fill him in on that better than me.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Tornadoes don't care.

The F5 that hit Jarrell in '97, stripped a foot and a half of earth off the ground, removed over 500 feet of paved roadway, and threw numerous cars and trucks over half a mile.

That outhouse would be going for a ride...
As long as it is anchored down, it wouldn't. And no, I don't have one because I always put stuff off until it is too late.

I have a couple smallish shed behind my house, they are anchored to the ground with cables. The back porch on my house is anchored with cables too.
The tornadoes we get here are in the 1~3 range. But I'd bet my life on being in a Safe Shed in a EF5 tornado.
The back escape hatch is good too.
If a tree or car ended up on the lid of that semi underground oversized flour bin you have outback, good luck. It also looks like the top could be sucked off the top of it. The Safe Shed is one constant pour after the floor/base is set.
Anything can be destroyed, but I'd rather ride out a bad ass storm in a Safe Shed.

LuxPride

BAMF

I was with you until I missed the Joplin, MO tornado in 2011. I was supposed to stay there that night. I was traveling with a caravan of cars on our way to Springfield. We got tired and decided to stay the night about 40 miles outside of Joplin. At the time, I thought it was a terrible decision; we were in a shithole hotel, with nothing around but a Mcdonald's, and it was only 4 pm. ( the decision proved to be a good one, it saved our lives). Later that day, the sirens began whaling. We were up early to get on with the program, and when we arrived in Joplin at 8 am it resembled a warzone. The trees were twisted into rope fiber, total destruction. From that moment on, I have no desire to face a large tornado. Now a cat 5 hurricane, I'd like to experience that (and hopefully live through it). But I've never been in that position so I don't know what I'd think if I was actually stuck in one.

OP
bowtie

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
It's my assumption the oppressive heat Bowtie is suffering is Karma. And, a prelude to the heat he will suffer at end of life. Wretch can fill him in on that better than me.

Sorry to disappoint you old man, I'm leaving the scenic bountiful state of Texas for the hills of NC, soon ... :up:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm not sure I'm fully qualified but, as I understand it, the place is large, cold and empty...
...so much so that; even though there may be much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth,
no one else will be able to hear it.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
My disappointment was triggered by Bowtie escaping the heat he's currently experiencing. I was hoping his suffering would continue.

1/2021 to today .. 11" of rain, total, for 2 years :eek: continuous days over 100 now is over 30 days, a couple days were in the 90's or it'd be close to 50 days now.
We are about 2 miles due north of the chalk mountain fire and have had a whole lot more rain than that lol. People who are not native to Texas just do not understand. Do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :dirtypete:

OP
bowtie

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
We are about 2 miles due north of the chalk mountain fire and have had a whole lot more rain than that lol. People who are not native to Texas just do not understand. Do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :dirtypete:
That would put you in Hood county, and also make you a lair .. not that anyone believes your shit on here anyway .. :fu:

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Pretty hot one here today.. almost 90...

And don't get me started on the white shit...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Hurricane I been through plenty and worked many.. they don't have the same adrenaline as Torandos which I've only work aftermath. I like to hook up with sone storm chasers and drive around hunting tornados

Top Bottom