Is It true that automotive oil is bad for your motorcycle?

Website
cs.com
I was told it will make your clutch slip and so on. Has anyone used automotive oil and if so. What brand and what were your results? "Potentially" going in a SV1000. Just regular dinosaur oil -nothing special. 😐

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Been using rotella t6 diesel oil in bikes and cars for years... a friend of mine has been using T6 in his ducati has now over 60 K miles on original engine..

Rotella T6 has the jaso approved norm so the motorcycle clutch won't slip

A 5 quart jug is 27 usd here at wallmart

That as cheap as i'll go

Vegas12

BAMF+
Been using rotella t6 diesel oil in bikes and cars for years... a friend of mine has been using T6 in his ducati has now over 60 K miles on original engine..

Rotella T6 has the jaso approved norm so the motorcycle clutch won't slip

A 5 quart jug is 27 usd here at wallmart

That as cheap as i'll go

I've never seen the 5 quart jugs, we have the gallon size....use it in my diesel truck.

Screenshot_20210619-224912_Chrome.jpg

• Red
Reactions: Red

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Me too. Never an issue.
RF
I think you have pretty much advised us in the past that you don't ride very hard.
So, I'm guessing you may not be the best authority on a clutch slipping under extreme acceleration?
I don't mean that as a diss.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor

whipit1K

BAMF
I read an article a looooong time ago. 1995 maybe. It was about a guy who was about to hit 200,000 miles on his 900RR. Had 197,000 miles I think. This was a Sport Rider magazine thing I think

He had run regular castrol GTX, changed only every 5000 miles. They ran the bike on the dyno and it was only 5 or 6 HP shy of a new one....

I run full syn Motorex in my KTM.....just because. I bet it would do just as well on cheap ass GTX or that shell diesel oil everybody is gaga over

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
I read an article a looooong time ago. 1995 maybe. It was about a guy who was about to hit 200,000 miles on his 900RR. Had 197,000 miles I think. This was a Sport Rider magazine thing I think

He had run regular castrol GTX, changed only every 5000 miles. They ran the bike on the dyno and it was only 5 or 6 HP shy of a new one....

I run full syn Motorex in my KTM.....just because. I bet it would do just as well on cheap ass GTX or that shell diesel oil everybody is gaga over
I run motul 10w60 in the husky.. its only vehicule i dont run rotella as its too thin for those ktm engines....

Pretty pricy shit too..

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
The GTX is what I've always used in my Busa. When did they change it?
I still have a couple quarts of it (the old stuff)
Not sure exactly when it was that Wrench_Whore Wrench_Whore told me about the change in formula.
2003-2005 maybe?
You still use it today?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I know what it is and what it sounds like.
I just don't know how they "work".
Seems obvious now that the name "dry clutch" might indicate a lack of oil.
Cars and trucks have dry clutches. The idea of a dry clutch on a race bike it that it lessens the drag inside the engine ever so slightly.
BMW's and Moto Guzzis have dry clutches.

This old heap Harley I'm working on has a dry, sealed clutch INSIDE THE WET TRANS! WTF were they thinking? It also takes 70wt oil. It feels like grease on your hands. Ain't using no cheap ass car oil in it.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Another change to car oil was the removal of the substance (zinc?) that protected flat tappets from fukking up camshafts. Cars use roller tappets now, lots of bikes still have shim/bucket arrangements that are essentially flat tappets.

P.S. also the reason car oil isn't recommended in lawnmower motors

Bandit Man

BAMF
Cars and trucks have dry clutches. The idea of a dry clutch on a race bike it that it lessens the drag inside the engine ever so slightly.
BMW's and Moto Guzzis have dry clutches.

This old heap Harley I'm working on has a dry, sealed clutch INSIDE THE WET TRANS! WTF were they thinking? It also takes 70wt oil. It feels like grease on your hands. Ain't using no cheap ass car oil in it.
We are talking motorcycles here, not two wheeled corn binders.

RollieFree

BAMF
I think you have pretty much advised us in the past that you don't ride very hard.
So, I'm guessing you may not be the best authority on a clutch slipping under extreme acceleration?
I don't mean that as a diss.
What I said is that I’ve never owned a modern sport bike. I’ve ridden my stuff plenty hard and plenty long. My dry clutch BMW is over 300k. The innards still look new and the T6 has the zinc for flat tappets. The others have all been wet clutch bikes and been mostly run with the old Mobil 15w50 car oil then switched to the Rotella synth. After a half million miles, I’m pretty ok with my choice for now. Never had a clutch issue of any kind.
RF

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Not sure exactly when it was that Wrench_Whore Wrench_Whore told me about the change in formula.
2003-2005 maybe?
You still use it today?
Still use it? Busa hasn't been ridden since 2009.
That being said, GTX is all I ever used. Tried Mobil 1 one time, clutch slipped badly.
If the change was in 2003-05, then I have used the new formulation, yet had no problems with it.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
As for lawnmowers, if they don't have an oil filtrr (none used to have one) they need to use non-detergent oil. Detergent oils keep the crappy stuff in the oil in suspension to be filtered out by the filter. If you don't have a filter, you want the crap in the bottom of the crankcase, not circulating thru the engine. It is very hard to find non-detergent oils these days.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I still remember when Honda had to come out with a TB ('93 or '94?) advising people using Honda motorcycle oil in the CBR600F2 and CBR900RRs to use the regular (straight dino) oil. The 50-50 blended Honda oil of the time caused the clutches to slip in some of the bikes.

I think the synthetic oil manufacturers were discovering new things every year (good and bad) about their stuff back then.

Like Biggerdanno said, sometimes it's hard to find nondetergent oil. Or even straight weight oil sometimes.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
You guys with Aprilia, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, etc. should be running Virgin Olive Oil in the crankcase.

Triumph, Norton, BSA, etc. maybe pour in some Guinness Stout and all should be right n the world.
When I put in synthetic oil in my 95 916, it was so slippery it leaked past the case halfs.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Shit.. back in drag racing days we used car Castrol 20/50 oil... every 20 runs the oil gets changed On the GSXR plat form motors ... and bearings changed every 125 runs.. on the GS motor platforms 30 runs on oil and yearly motor tear downs.. clutch slippage ... lock up clutches don't slip.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Now I just let fucker ktm dealer change the oil as the fucking ktm needs a reset of the oil change indicator

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
You guys with Aprilia, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, etc. should be running Virgin Olive Oil in the crankcase.

Triumph, Norton, BSA, etc. maybe pour in some Guinness Stout and all should be right n the world.
Funny, I run the Rotella 15-40 syn blend truck oil in a couple of my Dukes with dry clutches...it really helps with slick shifting.

It's nice not having to worry about whether the clutch will slip or not... :wink2:

Ed

The Bandit lives exclusively on M1 15W-50 with a whiff of ZDDPlus, the SV1k currently has M1 4T in the sump (as did the Hayabusa).

Ren

BAM
Website
www.fortunecity.com
Now I just let fucker ktm dealer change the oil as the fucking ktm needs a reset of the oil change indicator
Fer fucks sake man you can reset the oil change service in the menu's yourself just google it. No wonder the vast majority of younger generations don't even know how to open the hood on a car or what an oil change even is. Thankfully I taught both of my daughters (21 and 18) how to change the oil on their own cars themselves, as well as other maintenance tasks. Sheez my oldest just replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley's on her BMW 330i and other associated hardware, even though she is in her Junior year working on her degree in Computer Science she won't ever be the helpless idiot driving around either with the service light on or relying on someone else to reset it.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Fer fucks sake man you can reset the oil change service in the menu's yourself just google it. No wonder the vast majority of younger generations don't even know how to open the hood on a car or what an oil change even is. Thankfully I taught both of my daughters (21 and 18) how to change the oil on their own cars themselves, as well as other maintenance tasks. Sheez my oldest just replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley's on her BMW 330i and other associated hardware, even though she is in her Junior year working on her degree in Computer Science she won't ever be the helpless idiot driving around either with the service light on or relying on someone else to reset it.
Depends on the years Ren

Seems ktm is still doable but the new aprilias 2017+ are a dealer thing.

Rhino :

Top Bottom