Ironic

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
I have about $3k in sales tax due to the state of NV due by the end of the month. If I do not pay it on time there will be pentalies and interest. I will get letters in the mail and all kinds of bullshit.

I have the money set aside and always pay it on time the last day it’s due.

The state of NV also owes me about $3k for work I did in December. Per the Superintendent and the OP he sent me on a job I did earlier in the year the State has 30 days to pay invoices.

So today I found out I am only getting paid on one of two invoices which is half of my money. And they were both 30 days old on the 14th of January. The other invoice is apparently weeks out to be paid because they are waiting for bond approval before allocation of funds.

When I asked about the 30 days they shrugged it off like it was no big deal. So it’s pretty ironic that they owe me money and no big deal, but I promise if I don’t pay them on time all he’ll will break loose.

Buncha incompentent asshats if you ask me

MadRussian

HOLYBAMF
My invoice says: 10% late fee, if not paid within 30 days.

I've made some good money from people not paying on time. (also lost a few clients, who refused to pay late fees)

BigHock

BAMF
This ^^^

Not ironic, but business as usual. You really should have some policies for payment. In my experience most don’t pay it, but it’s nice to have ‘hand’. More nice to just get paid.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
pay the 3k on time (obviously).

on the late invoice treat them like any other late payment. Be polite but firm.

I'm guessing this is pretty much your plan though.

Anal Disco

BAMF
Typical government BS hypocrisy.

I wonder if they'll fight you on any late payment penalties if you had them in contract.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
My invoice says: 10% late fee, if not paid within 30 days.
I've made some good money from people not paying on time. (also lost a few clients, who refused to pay late fees)
Problem is usury laws by State. Your State has a max % you can charge by law. Indiana has limits... Nevada not so much.

Now that Stites knows the State is a slow payer...his pricing on the next contract or job should reflect their slow pay methods. I had clients that would go 90 or 120 days on invoices... sometimes 180+. And their pricing would reflect that.
Job A costs $1000. Client A that pays quick gets that price. Client B...slow payer gets charged $1500 for the same work.
When you send an invoice you are effectively extending credit, especially when you put terms on it.
Problem is when you figure that out...now here comes a competitor that may not know about the slow pay thing... and they undercut you. Whoops.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
This ^^
Not ironic, but business as usual. You really should have some policies for payment. In my experience most don’t pay it, but it’s nice to have ‘hand’. More nice to just get paid.
Gov't contracts have "budgets"... its not an open wallet. There is a whole sector that does nothing but prepare submittals for Govts and their success rate is around 35% or so. When they do get a contract its pretty juicy that covers all the treadmill work trying to secure one...lol.
It used to be every year Id get County RFPs that were a 15 page application detailing services, fees, etc. Then I also had to supply resumes, current certs, proof of insurance, etc. After the 10th year of publishing those, wasting days preparing them, and never seeing a single nickel... I would start sending old ones out but with outrageous prices. Then 1 year I finally got one on the hook...lol. It was juicy as fuck! But required the work to be done during holiday breaks and background checks.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Wife deals with the DOD contracts all day five days a week for the last twenty plus years, nothing but hassles, auditors up her ass all the time and then late or delayed payments from them.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm at the point where I want to start charging businesses, state, corperate or private, that waste my time...

...especially when I have an appointment to be there.

OP
OP
Stites

Stites

The state doesn’t give a fuck about terms. If they did they would pay on time.

No different than on my invoice I placed my terms, one of them being a deposit to get started. They replied we don’t do deposits, however if the job is large enough (mine wasn’t) then I could fill out an application for money to cover the cost of materials.

Basically you play by their rules or they take their ball home.

Turbo blew said it best, price of the job goes up for them. Not because you want to gouge them, but instead because they lace every job with ridiculous logistics, are difficult to deal with and are slow payers. All things that are justified in charging more for.

I am not worried about their slow pay, I just think it’s ironic that it I weren’t to pay my portion on time that I would be getting calls and notifications, mines due and no big deal.

That said I never had any intention of not paying them I just know how they will act if I don’t.

Pat830

BAMF
We have customers at work that keep getting more demanding all the time. Some want 180 days terms, some want paid when paid terms, some want free material storage, some want ridiculous delivery times and schedules, most won't pay for shipping when they want something overnighted and it is their fault for not ordering it on time. It is just getting worse. A sign of the times I guess. Too many people offering the same services and driving the pricing down. I'm glad I'm the age I am and will be retiring from the business in four or five years.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
McMaster-Carr knocks off a percent if you pay right away. Our Home Owners tax is the same, it we pay it right away, they knock a few hundred off.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
McMaster-Carr knocks off a percent if you pay right away. Our Home Owners tax is the same, it we pay it right away, they knock a few hundred off.
yeah one City where i have some rentals used to give you a 3% savings if you paid by Dec 31. But then they did not take credit cards. Now no discount is given but they take credit cards... so it works out better for me! I just wait until the last possible day to pay... put it on the card and get the points/rewards!! Much better than the prepay savings!! Also it makes cutting checks out of each LLC much easier when the card statement comes in.

OP
OP
Stites

Stites

We have customers at work that keep getting more demanding all the time. Some want 180 days terms, some want paid when paid terms, some want free material storage, some want ridiculous delivery times and schedules, most won't pay for shipping when they want something overnighted and it is their fault for not ordering it on time. It is just getting worse. A sign of the times I guess. Too many people offering the same services and driving the pricing down. I'm glad I'm the age I am and will be retiring from the business in four or five years.
Yeah we have been seeing some of the same. It's all red flags for me my friend. When someone comes in and wants a net 60 I tell them I am sorry but we are not a bank.

I typically do 50% down and the remainder is due upon pick-up.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Just be careful if you do ANYTHING with NYC or ANY NYC agency or Sports franchise. They have a copywrite shit on shit you never thought possible. And send the legal teams in to collect a fee of you use their logo or names on products. Here it's a 90 day billing cycle.. but know of Bill's that collected after a year of completion. Governments are a bitch to deal with.

Top Bottom