interstate legal question

Austin_F

BAMF+
I take my dogs across the nearby state line to a good vet for shots and tests and whatever. Last week they had a new girl working there who didn't know how to hold a dog the right way and she started choking the dog, im guessing not intentionally. He ended up getting out of it enough to nip her hand.

No blood was drawn but she had 2 red dots on her hand. We apologized several times and she waved us off as no big deal.

Later that day we get a call from that state's animal control telling us it had been reported and we needed to quarantine the dog. Since he had up to date rabies shots we would be allowed to keep him at home with us. In 10 days we needed to have a vet check him out to be 'released' or we would be arrested.

Animal control in that state is part of the Sheriff's department.

Today we got the official notice in the mail and that's when it really hit me, he's in the next state over. What can animal control do to me in my state? Is this typically something states have an agreement on? Will my local Sheriff honor a warrant from the other state for whatever crime this would be? Or can I just ignore the letter and choose a vet in my state from now on?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Fucking stupid bitch! If you work for a fucking vet and get bit on occasion, that's just part of the job.
I can't even count the number of tymes I've been slightly injured working on motorcycles.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
Fucking stupid bitch! If you work for a fucking vet and get bit on occasion, that's just part of the job.
I can't even count the number of tymes I've been slightly injured working on motorcycles.
We used to take them to a local place that was more expensive. He nipped that girl when she clipped his nail too short and drew blood. Not her blood, his. She said she gets bit all day long and doesn't even feel it anymore. I figured all nail trimmers/groomers would be like that.

Apparently not this new girl.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
Find a new vet locally so they can hold the dog for the prescribed 10 days?

Get a lawyer and counter sue before they get a full running start at your wallet.

At least go talk to one.
We were told we could hold him at home, he just couldn't be outside loose. That will be up in 4 days.

We were told a dog gets two reported bites and that's it, they get put down. Is that spread through all 50 states? Like if your dog bites someone during a visit in Texas, does that count as bite #1 in your home state of Montana?

Master-Cylinder

We were told we could hold him at home, he just couldn't be outside loose. That will be up in 4 days.

We were told a dog gets two reported bites and that's it, they get put down. Is that spread through all 50 states? Like if your dog bites someone in Texas, does that count as bite #1 in your home state of Montana?
Change your dogs name.:ducmanic:

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
I'd have to get the chip dug out of his shoulders and replaced with a new one lol. Or maybe a taser would kill the old chip. C'mere, puppy....

Wretch

amazingly graceful

We were told a dog gets two reported bites and that's it, they get put down. Is that spread through all 50 states? Like if your dog bites someone during a visit in Texas, does that count as bite #1 in your home state of Montana?
I would think the circumstances would matter.

If I choked a dog, I'd expect to be bitten.

Master-Cylinder

I'd have to get the chip dug out of his shoulders and replaced with a new one lol. Or maybe a taser would kill the old chip. C'mere, puppy....
Go over it with a tape head de-magnitizer. I have one, if you need to borrow it. If I can find it. :lol:

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
I havent heard that word in years. The old computer monitors had a degauss button. BOOM the screen would shake and get all crazy before settling back into normal.

The answer is yes they can hem you up if they want. This a civil matter though, better watch your ass. Next the vet tech will probably sue you.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
What's the problem with doing what they are asking you to do?
You keep the dog at home.
Then get it checked out by a doc.
You're done.

Not a bad idea to give the dog a checkup anyhow.
Should be doing that once a year.

A23

BAMF+
My Jack had his Senior check up yesterday...$675!!!

At that price he should getting a few nips in.

I shouldn't joke around. The city has threatened to put him down if there's one more bite report.

OP
Austin_F

Austin_F

BAMF+
...that's not a bite...
Thats what I thought. Two red dots, no ripped skin, no blood. I'm confused why they even called animal control. He wasn't trying to rip her hand off, he was trying to stop her from choking him.

Would a jury be sympathetic to a vet tech who works with nervous dogs all day getting nipped?

I'm just trying to keep the first bite from going on record in MY state.

Stetson

BAMF
Today we got the official notice in the mail and that's when it really hit me, he's in the next state over. What can animal control do to me in my state? Is this typically something states have an agreement on? Will my local Sheriff honor a warrant from the other state for whatever crime this would be? Or can I just ignore the letter and choose a vet in my state from now on?
I'd go along with it and have the dog checked out after the ten days, if it actually threatened arrest for non-compliance. The worst that would likely happen if you ignored it would be a warrant issued for your arrest in the other state. Your current state likely wouldn't care unless it was an extraditable offense, which are usually felonies. Sometimes neighboring states will extradite for misdemeanors, so you should check.

Is that spread through all 50 states? Like if your dog bites someone during a visit in Texas, does that count as bite #1 in your home state of Montana?
In my experience, if it was outside whatever prosecutorial district the first offense happened in, no one would know or care. There's no database I ever heard of.

Photo copy a picture of your ass and mail it to them and tell them to fuck off.
Nothing i'd like to do more. Hoping someone like Stetson chimes in and lets me know i'll get away with it :)
This is the kind of this that sounds fun, but in 2020 is likely to end with you on a sex offender registry. :D

In Maine, like in most states, I imagine, the dog bite quarantine is usually an arm of whomever monitors rabies in the state.

Top Bottom