If you aren’t listing to Dave Ramsey Podcasts

CID

BAMF+
My problem with him is he flat out says don't do it instead of giving the pros along with the cons.
His direction isn't for people that have the sense to do the right things.... his directions are for those that haven't. (dont take that one drink on Friday night if you're an alcoholic)

If you become good at managing money, you're not listening to Dave anyway.

example: He's all in on "mutual funds" -- while I like mutual funds as they are mostly safe.... maybe he's missing out there too.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
His direction isn't for people that have the sense to do the right things.... his directions are for those that haven't.

If you become good at managing money, you're not listening to Dave anyway.

I get it....but I stand by my comments that he will not give alternative ways to manage money.

His minions run around like deranged tr-1ump supporters and parrot his hyperbole not willing to look at the benefits of "monthly" debts.

I have listened to him and his condescending attitude is offensive.

Everything cannot be paid in cash....and cash is NOT king in many situations.....but the bottom line is if you use a debit card or even a bank check to pay life's simple bills, there's no reason you can't use a CC like a debit card.

BigGar

high on placebo
The whole world is looney right now. Zillow had my house at almost $70,000 more than the month before :eyepopping1a:

What the actual fuck is that about?

I think the house across the street sold for 680K in a matter of hours a few weeks ago which probably helped as our place is a whole lot more house than that one. It's getting real hard to resist cashing out, but we gotta live someplace!

bombaybusa

President, Club Pra
Website
bombaymotorsports.business.site
Want some anti-ramsey advice??

Get yourself a high points credit card and pay EVERY bill/purchase with it.....just make sure you pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.

Even with 3% cash back, if you buy/pay $3000 in bills/purchases a month, it's $90 free money every month.

My buddy just used my card to buy $15k in AC equipment......he's giving me the cash....used a 4% cash card, $600 free money!!

I paid for a huge chunk of a Jamaica vacation without spending a penny in interest with rewards money. Have over $5k in free money as we speak.
Been traveling in first class for the last 10 years just on points 😎
No credit card debt. Pay off every few days.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
I think the house across the street sold for 680K in a matter of hours a few weeks ago which probably helped as our place is a whole lot more house than that one. It's getting real hard to resist cashing out, but we gotta live someplace!
Crazy in the fact that one would be paying $3000/month mortgage ov3r 30yrs plus what ever local prop tax... say $600/month then utilities and thats not including any car payment or insurance... or State income tax.
You would need to making in excess of $300,000/yr just to live middle class conservative.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Crazy in the fact that one would be paying $3000/month mortgage ov3r 30yrs plus what ever local prop tax... say $600/month then utilities and thats not including any car payment or insurance... or State income tax.
You would need to making in excess of $300,000/yr just to live middle class conservative.
That would be a reason you don't buy a $700k house in SoCal as a starter house....

Even if you do, your maff is a tad off.....using your numbers, +-$45k in PITI, $6K in utilities, $12k in car payments and another $12k in food and entertainment puts your nut @ around $75k.....$150k gross for a two income family isn't that big of a stretch.

A $300k mortgage @ 3% is less than $1,300 a month. That's less than apartment rent.

Today's rates are an equalizer.....

Terry_Schiavo

That would be a reason you don't buy a $700k house in SoCal as a starter house....
Even if you do, your maff is a tad off.....using your numbers, +-$45k in PITI, $6K in utilities, $12k in car payments and another $12k in food and entertainment puts your nut @ around $75k.....$150k gross for a two income family isn't that big of a stretch.
A $300k mortgage @ 3% is less than $1,300 a month. That's less than apartment rent.
Today's rates are an equalizer.....
all due respect... you cant buy starter house (new) in FL for less than $400k these days unless its in a truly shitty unicorporated plot with no sewer much less in Gars neighborhood.
You cant plug in whatever numbers you want to make your fantasy mortgage & combined income work in a hot real estate market Dave Scamsey...lol. I was just using Gars neighbors sale as a comp... Im going to bet LA is the same money for less space.
Shit even Sams club has removed the median income # they used to pride themselves on ($160k combined) to provide value.
Whats $700,000 over 30 years at 3%? Please amortize for me! :fu: (this post has been reported)

Last edited:

RollieFree

BAMF
The whole world is looney right now. Zillow had my house at almost $70,000 more than the month before :eyepopping1a:

What the actual fuck is that about?

Take the cash and move back to Michigan and retire. Otherwise you'll just change hands with the money and have all the fun of moving and all that....or just stay put. Its the same way around here.
RF

Terry_Schiavo

Take the cash and move back to Michigan and retire. Otherwise you'll just change hands with the money and have all the fun of moving and all that....or just stay put. Its the same way around here.
RF
Um what? Why go back to Michigan? For winter??

Vegas12

BAMF+
all due respect... you cant buy starter house (new) in FL for less than $400k these days unless its in a truly shitty unicorporated plot with no sewer much less in Gars neighborhood.
You cant plug in whatever numbers you want to make your fantasy mortgage & combined income work in a hot real estate market Dave Scamsey...lol. I was just using Gars neighbors sale as a comp... Im going to bet LA is the same money for less space.
Shit even Sams club has removed the median income # they used to pride themselves on ($160k combined) to provide value.
Whats $700,000 over 30 years at 3%? Please amortize for me! :fu: (this post has been reported)

I think you're missing the point....thats why you DON'T buy in Gregg's neighborhood when starting out.

Whoever buys a house in Gar's range most likely cashed out of their previous home and has a decent nut to put down OR make a decent income.....doesn't have to be anywhere near that $300k.

Buy Inland and houses are 100k++ cheaper.

What I'm trying to say....and you are basically agreeing with....is you buy in a $400k neighborhood when starting out(Which would have been 300k last year....but at today's rates, you're looking at $300 a month more; which is a chunk of change, but then they have to get the XLT F-250 instead of the platinum.)

Even when housing was "reasonable" cash buyers were few and far between, so your amortization comment has always held true.

When this bubble bursts, rates will most likely go up making the payment in the same range.

No clue what Sam's club has to do with anything....don't worry, your free samples are coming back soon I hear.

Last edited:

RollieFree

BAMF
Um what? Why go back to Michigan? For winter??
No. To pay cash for a house, bank some money and whatever. The midwest sucks but its cheap. All I am saying is that if you want to cash out, you gotta go somewhere cheaper or you may as well stay put. My house has already gone up in the past 2 years that I could sell, go back to Indy and pay cash for a nice place...but I'm not going to. Cashing out for me is a moot point. I'm staying in this shithole no matter how bad it gets.
RF

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
THe house I sold in Covina, California would be considered a starter house, 3 bed, 1 bath, 1050 sf.
It was flipped by the buyer for 550k after putting about 100k in renovations.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Vegas12

BAMF+
THe house I sold in Covina, California would be considered a starter house, 3 bed, 1 bath, 1050 sf.
It was flipped by the buyer for 550k after putting about 100k in renovations.
Thread hi-jack alert:

Lived in Azusa a million years ago and played hockey as a pee-wee/mighty-mite at the Covina ice rink.

High light of my career was playing between periods at the Great Western Forum during a King's game.

Bet I couldn't ice skate 10' currently.

Top Bottom