If you aren’t listing to Dave Ramsey Podcasts

CID

BAMF+
Listened to him for 5 years everyday on the radio going home.
It was an awakening for somebody like me that (was never taught) and never gave a fuck about the right way or the wrong way to use money.

now I WILL say that the advice he gives I did follow religiously and had the exact outcome that I had hoped for.

However.... since then I've strayed a bit. Never being an ideologue , I still keep his theories in practice most times, but in
reality it's very hard to do and when you put the REAL numbers to paper.... well 'his style' may not be 100% gospel to me anymore.

So take this with a grain of salt.... but go out and read some articles about 'why dave is wrong' (as far as real estate investment)-- you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
dave ramsey is fucking trash. Likely started with good intentions, then greed took over.

collects tens of thousands of advertising dollars to the companies he "suggest" to people who call in for advice.... especially folks who want help with timeshares. He quite literally refers them to a ripoff scammer because the write him a huge check. Can only imagine a similar situation exists for all the other companies he touts on his show.

clark howard is a FAR better choice if you want advice.

Vegas12

BAMF+
He misleads people regarding credit and credit cards costing his minions thousands.

The fact he has to "teach" people to spend less than they make boggles my mine.

Went BK, and then started selling books to get rich....I guess he's smarter than me.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
It was an awakening for somebody like me that (was never taught) and never gave a fuck about the right way or the wrong way to use money.

now I WILL say that the advice he gives I did follow religiously and had the exact outcome that I had hoped for.

However.... since then I've strayed a bit. Never being an ideologue , I still keep his theories in practice most times, but in
reality it's very hard to do and when you put the REAL numbers to paper.... well 'his style' may not be 100% gospel to me anymore.

So take this with a grain of salt.... but go out and read some articles about 'why dave is wrong' (as far as real estate investment)-- you'll see what I mean.

His BS about NEVER getting credit and not chasing a credit score is fucking ridiculous....at least explain the pros IF you have an ounce of discipline.

I pay off the CC religiously every month and monitor my credit scores.

Just made a fairly large landscape purchase and took the 0% financing instead of taking out money that's making me +- 15%; wouldn't have been available with a low "unimportant" credit score......this would be taboo in ramsey's world.

Financing it did cost me 4% in points by not using the CC.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Funny because that was my problem. His advice and with the advice of a couple mentors, I am improving my finances.

Want some anti-ramsey advice??

Get yourself a high points credit card and pay EVERY bill/purchase with it.....just make sure you pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.

Even with 3% cash back, if you buy/pay $3000 in bills/purchases a month, it's $90 free money every month.

My buddy just used my card to buy $15k in AC equipment......he's giving me the cash....used a 4% cash card, $600 free money!!

I paid for a huge chunk of a Jamaica vacation without spending a penny in interest with rewards money. Have over $5k in free money as we speak.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com

sadly... common sense is not that common... Dave is all about the basic's of $$$ mom and dad should have taught you IMNSHO... :)

if You can make these fucked up financial rules work for Ya... More powah' to Ya!

Get yourself a high points credit card and pay EVERY bill/purchase with it.....just make sure you pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.....just pay it off every month.

Even with 3% cash back, if you buy/pay $3000 in bills/purchases a month, it's $90 free money every month.

My buddy just used my card to buy $15k in AC equipment......he's giving me the cash....used a 4% cash card, $600 free money!!

I paid for a huge chunk of a Jamaica vacation without spending a penny in interest with rewards money. Have over $5k in free money as we speak.
Get into churning and you'll kick the points accumulation into overdrive.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Get into churning and you'll kick the points accumulation into overdrive.

Kind of do that, but a few of the cards I can't cancel until I use the points ......have over $1400 on a Delta AMEX that I hardly use....the sign up bonus was 100,000 points or $1000.

Kind of do that, but a few of the cards I can't cancel until I use the points ......have over $1400 on a Delta AMEX that I hardly use....the sign up bonus was 100,000 points or $1000.
Same position here. I want to fly my parents to asia and my chase sapphire just renewed, $450 annual fee (I have until today to downgrade the card and get refunded the fee) but I get 50% more points booking through that card vs a lower tier Freedom card, so I'll just have to suck up the fee.

Just got a decent offer on Amex a few months ago, looking to see what the MR points are worth for travel.

Also, the points are usually good for 18 months after account closure.

I'm flying to Moab next month because I had 50k points expiring last year during covid. Gonna rent UTVs and party with some buds.

OP
Qwik

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org

I'm flying to Moab next month because I had 50k points expiring last year during covid. Gonna rent UTVs and party with some buds.
When? I’m four hours away and will ride down and meet up with you

Vegas12

BAMF+

Did not realize that regarding points being valid....good info.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.

We are playing the CC game. When we still had a mortgage I was pissed that we couldn’t pay the monthly with the card

Just bought a new KTM 250XCW. Those fuckers wouldn’t let me put the whole bike on the card

I’m trying to maximize the cash back we get off the card. Usually push about 5k a month through it and end up getting a grand back in cash each year. Good for a little guy like me

We are going to Mexico next month on lingering points my wife has left over from when she was traveling for work. Gotta play the game to have some spending cash. I don’t have huge investments so every little bit helps

Now, about Dave Ramsey…too damn repetitive to stay tuned to. Good advice just drones on about the debt snowball

Last edited:

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
I am disappointed at some of the responses here. I don’t know Tim’s situation but he is obviously enjoying listening to the podcasts. Maybe he’s learning some new skills to better himself and his bride for the future.

I sure wished I would of read some words of encouragement or maybe a referral to something else instead of some of the shitty responses posted here.

Knowing DR and his system well as it helped me get out of 6 figures of debt I assume Timmy is doing the same. Today I am debt free and know most of what DR teaches is starting over and going back to the basics. Not open more credit and get points and money back.

The system is truly a financial reset......it was helpful and changed my mind about certain things but the tool did the job. Now in a different financial place the DR system is not a 100% fit for me, but you have to walk before you can run.

So if you gents have some better system that might help Timmy out fucking share it as he’s obviously expanding his mind and is open to it, but don’t shit on his parade as he works to better himself.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Stites it is simple…

Spend less than you make.

Invest long term and don’t hope for get rich quick. I stay at my shitty job because there are trade offs. 401k, stock purchase plan, health bennies for me are important as insulin is fucking really expensive when self employed

Why not leverage credit if you can be disciplined with it?

Pray that you or a family member doesn’t get sick or hurt because that is devastating to a great financial plan

As I said in my post…DR is just too repetitive

Stites

Stites it is simple…

Spend less than you make.

Invest long term and don’t hope for get rich quick. I stay at my shitty job because there are trade offs. 401k, stock purchase plan, health bennies for me are important as insulin is fucking really expensive when self employed

Why not leverage credit if you can be disciplined with it?

Pray that you or a family member doesn’t get sick or hurt because that is devastating to a great financial plan

As I said in my post…DR is just too repetitive
You and I have had these conversations in person and for the most part we are in agreement. Sure be disciplined and leverage any and everything you possibly can. I do it now.

That said most that go to DR are looking for a change. They need to make that change and shed the weight and pressure of the debt before they can see the benefits and be disciplined. If they were disciplined they wouldn’t be looking for another solution.

It’s a process and you have to go through the pain and agony of shedding the debt. Once it’s done and you have money in the bank you have a completely different outlook about your money.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I am disappointed at some of the responses here. I don’t know Tim’s situation but he is obviously enjoying listening to the podcasts. Maybe he’s learning some new skills to better himself and his bride for the future.

I sure wished I would of read some words of encouragement or maybe a referral to something else instead of some of the shitty responses posted here.

Knowing DR and his system well as it helped me get out of 6 figures of debt I assume Timmy is doing the same. Today I am debt free and know most of what DR teaches is starting over and going back to the basics. Not open more credit and get points and money back.

The system is truly a financial reset......it was helpful and changed my mind about certain things but the tool did the job. Now in a different financial place the DR system is not a 100% fit for me, but you have to walk before you can run.

So if you gents have some better system that might help Timmy out fucking share it as he’s obviously expanding his mind and is open to it, but don’t shit on his parade as he works to better himself.

You really get defensive about ramsey....

I'm not going to apologize for calling a spade a spade.......there's nothing magical about living within your means, don't need to listen to someone or buy his shit to know that.

His followers are almost cult like.

I've also given you my opinion on his way or the highway attitude....

His digging his heels in regarding credit cards or ANY credit in general is an absolute disservice to his minions.

If he can magically teach you to pay your bills every month, there's no reason why he can't teach people to use plastic and pay it off every month, it costs you nothing extra....he (and it seems you)won't even entertain that idea.

His bullshit about not worrying about a credit score....how can a man of your means, who bought a beautiful house with a mortgage, back that bullshit??

Per our conversations, you don't invest in any way per ramsey.....which I'm actually glad since we made a fair chunk of change on our once favorite stock.....and that has nothing to do with a "reset."

Your NEW truck purchase would have never been made per him.....whether debt free or not.

Read Tim's 1st post.....

Well, people answered "why the fuck not"....

I'm glad you got something out of it.....not everyone does, and the fact is, is he actually costs people money with his myopic views from his ivory tower.

He honestly reminds me of bible thumping TV evangelists.....

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
And once again you get butthurt if someone wants to follow him and has a differing opinion than yours.
Excuse me??

Read your post #23 and then get back to us who was butthurt....oh, I'm sorry....it was "disappointed."

Tim asked why people don't listen to the book salesman....people answered and you didn't like it.

Sorry I dare question your messiah....once again.....and in case you didn't notice, I wasn't the only one.

Stites

I never singled you or anyone in particular out. There’s a difference between being disappointed that people didn’t encourage the OP with something other than DR versus shitting on it and someone being butthurt because you don’t like DR.

I don’t give a shit what you do with your money or anyone else for that matter. I think it’s cool people realize that they need to make a change financially and do something about it. I think it sucks when people shit on it whether you agree or not

Vegas12

BAMF+
I never singled you or anyone in particular out. There’s a difference between being disappointed that people didn’t encourage the OP with something other than DR versus shitting on it and someone being butthurt because you don’t like DR.

I don’t give a shit what you do with your money or anyone else for that matter. I think it’s cool people realize that they need to make a change financially and do something about it. I think it sucks when people shit on it whether you agree or not
Oh, but you did in a passive aggressive way.

I'm the one that brought up his aversion to CC's, (among other things) you then commented "........Not open more credit and get points and money back."

Funny how money back is a bad thing when ramsey is concerned...

Nobody is shitting on anyone trying to make a change financially.....just saying the douche is not the only way.

I gave very valid reasons why the guy's FOS....which goes to the OP of the thread on why the fuck some of us don't listen to him....you wanna be butthurt....sorry, "disappointed" that someone dare question the guy, that's on you.

[Edit]
"sure wished I would of read some words of encouragement or maybe a referral to something else instead of some of the shitty responses posted here."

There were at least two alternatives and a suggestion to Google why ramsey is wrong..."

Last edited:

Stites

Have we not argued about this on the phone? Did it turn out good, badly or ugly?

I recall you and I don’t 100% agree, we can keep arguing the finer points if you would like or we can just be good friends and agree to disagree and let die.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned

Debt is easy to resolve... just dont borrow money for depreciating assets. Or if you do make sure the value isnt outpacing the principal owed.
So you werent given proper financial advice as a youngster... big deal. Championing a guy that makes money off peoples in ability to manage finances... not so much.

Prime example... my son had an easy $50k in cash assets. No debt and a 4 year scholarship worth close to 6 figures. I took him to apply for a credit card at 18. I almost had to be restrained the loan officer was so fucking stupid. The asshole wanted me to cosign... I said no. I dont need your fucking money and its my son asking for a credit card. I dont put my financials on paper for a good reason. A point I was trying to make to my son.
He has more assets than most kids his age but these asshole banks that dont even have cash reserves on hand try to make him jump thru hoops for a couple of Gs in unsecured credit.
So after pledging a couple of Gs to open a secured card... 6 months later Visa & AMEX had an open enrollment at his campus for $5000 credit cards for just a signature and course schedule. Went back to the same loan officer to rub it in her stupid face to close his secured credit card.
Its addiction behavior... simple.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
um thats called a difference of opinion. Are you new here? The counter argument tactic has always been to drum up the negatives.
In fact unless you've taken the time to research EVERY schill out there, in regards to financial advice... its all biased opinion. Believe me Ive wasted untold hours at "free" financial dinners/retirement seminars looking for that magic bullet. So yeah my position may come off as "shitting on" but I view it the same way a Carnie tries to take $20 off me for a $.20 stuffed animal.

Like anything its all about your own destiny. Im not looking to stop working 1 day when I get to X amount of $$$$$. So retirement means shit all to me other than some arbitrary nest egg statement #. Even if I lost every single dollar Ive saved/invested... it would not change the way I currently live. If I lost my physical health... that would be a different story.
Which is something everyone should be devoting their "investing" time too.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Most people in the US are, reportedly, $400 away from financial trouble. Ramsey is probably a good starting place for them.

being 180º off from what he says is also not a deal breaker..
Debt is easy to resolve... just dont borrow money for depreciating assets. Or if you do make sure the value isnt outpacing the principal owed.
So you werent given proper financial advice as a youngster... big deal. Championing a guy that makes money off peoples in ability to manage finances... not so much.

Prime example... my son had an easy $50k in cash assets. No debt and a 4 year scholarship worth close to 6 figures. I took him to apply for a credit card at 18. I almost had to be restrained the loan officer was so fucking stupid. The asshole wanted me to cosign... I said no. I dont need your fucking money and its my son asking for a credit card. I dont put my financials on paper for a good reason. A point I was trying to make to my son.
He has more assets than most kids his age but these asshole banks that dont even have cash reserves on hand try to make him jump thru hoops for a couple of Gs in unsecured credit.
So after pledging a couple of Gs to open a secured card... 6 months later Visa & AMEX had an open enrollment at his campus for $5000 credit cards for just a signature and course schedule. Went back to the same loan officer to rub it in her stupid face to close his secured credit card.
Its addiction behavior... simple.
I have a home equity loan on 2 sets of Dunlop slicks...... bad idea?

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Most people in the US are, reportedly, $400 away from financial trouble. Ramsey is probably a good starting place for them.
being 180º off from what he says is also not a deal breaker..
I have a home equity loan on 2 sets of Dunlop slicks...... bad idea?
yeah thats the scarey part about peoples savings.
Dunlop loves HELOCs... they throw in a free tshirt and schwag. They say its no uncommon to put a fresh set on for every session... you wont win a trackday using the same tires. Also Ducati guys highly recommend counting 50 mississippis so they dont run into you with their straight line blistering speed. Corners are for parking. :)

Stetson

BAMF+
I listened to Dave for years on the radio, because the station came in good and it was on during my work shift. Probably haven't heard him at all in the last 7-8 years. I agreed with some of his thoughts, and disagreed on others. But that part ☝, Dave can go get fucked.

Top Bottom