I used to be able to

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I used to be able to do a lot of things, older, less agile, less willing to get hurt. A lot has changed. I was riding my 701 and thought, I used to wheelie up this whole road. Left turns, right turns, stand up wheelies. Then I thought more, and decided yea, fuck that.

just yesterday I barely touched my hand with a sawzall and boom, blood comes out.

yes, I know too fucking bad.

well I still have a fair share of fun. Still do wheelies be it only occasionally, still rather fix shit on my own which means blood leaking out sometimes. Overall it's been a good journey.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Age does suck when your limitations become reality. As I've built things on and around the house and seen just how much I struggle with certain things the humbling reality of not doing what once was done hit home..

Like you I won't go down easy.. nor accept limitations but sure does suck at the end of the day cashing in those checks my body doesn't want to cash any longer.

Dragon 350

BAMF
I bought my first Hayabusa in April 2000. Aurora suzuki across from green lake, Seattle. I was 36 years old.

I became a club racer in 2001 at Willow springs.

I quit riding on the track last year.

I can't afford another get off.

I do have a 99 big bore that is fast as fuck, not for sale any time soon. I got nothing to prove at this point.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I used to be able to do a lot of things, older, less agile, less willing to get hurt. A lot has changed. I was riding my 701 and thought, I used to wheelie up this whole road. Left turns, right turns, stand up wheelies. Then I thought more, and decided yea, fuck that.

just yesterday I barely touched my hand with a sawzall and boom, blood comes out.

yes, I know too fucking bad.

well I still have a fair share of fun. Still do wheelies be it only occasionally, still rather fix shit on my own which means blood leaking out sometimes. Overall it's been a good journey.
I've pretty much stopped doing wheelies. Some little ones on occasion, but no more long ones. Also, my hands are killing me from changing tires by hand, and my body is sore from crawling around on the garage floor, working on the bike for the past several days. This is what happens when we get older. It sucks. I'm guessing at some point I'll decide I've had enough and pay someone to do the work I have been doing for my entire life.

S.C.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I'm holding up fairly well except for my knees. Probably be getting the gel shots soon. Arthritis is eating the cushion out of both.

Then cataract surgery.
No cataracts here. But knees and elbows, yes. Right knee is much like yours. No cartilage left due to degenerative arthritis. Right elbow is giving me fits with both tennis and golfer's elbow.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
You, a sawzall. Me, it was a bandsaw yesterday. Some butterfly strips and the juices that are supposed to stay inside, are, for the most part.

A health issue I've been dealing with for 7 or 8 years now is advanced to the point I may end up selling the Super Tenere and involuntarily becoming a bikeless fuck.

Last edited:

VFR Rider

BAMF
Took a nasty spill on the motorcycle last October and it took me quite a while to fully heal. I still do the things I love now but with a bit more caution as I have accepted the fact that it is harder to come back to full health from stupidity as I get older.

Getting older kind of sucks when the mind is still young but the body says otherwise. The best one can do is eat a healthy diet, and get plenty of proper exercise which should include some moderate weight training along with stretching and functional movement.

For those of you who have health issues through no fault of your own, which are impeding you from things you used to enjoy, you have my full sympathy.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Man this post hits home

Bone spurs and arthritis in my right elbow. Still have lingering breathing issues after Covid in December

The sugars takes me out of the game some days. A couple bad lows trying to be a normal person fucks me over real bad. It is not only physically taxing the mental portion is worse. Doesn’t help I remember before diabetes and want that back every minute of my life. Eat, drink and do whatever I wanted without having to plan ten steps in advance. Don’t get me started on the financial hit it costs me

The worst part I’m seeing of aging (50 this fall) is the lack of ability to keep up with the young guys while park skiing and downhill mountain biking. I want to blast the big gaps on the skis and bike but as I run up to the takeoffs I freak out and think how much it hurts when it goes wrong. I don’t bounce anymore

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
God, now you bring the God angle into the mix. The only reason I'm alive is because God hasn't come up with a truly horrible way to finish me off.

Drowning, crashing, getting smashed, or burnt to death aren't bad enough. He hasn't figured out anything suitable. I hate God.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
God, now you bring the God angle into the mix. The only reason I'm alive is because God hasn't come up with a truly horrible way to finish me off.

Drowning, crashing, getting smashed, or burnt to death aren't bad enough. He hasn't figured out anything suitable. I hate God.
Torn into little pieces and buried alive?

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Nope not bad enough. More like being chained to a vacuum cleaner...

Z

BAMF+
Yall AIN'T,,,, :oldman1:

Iffin yer whinin,,,,, at fiddy :eek:

I hate ta see, whad yer gonna be like,,, at my age (72) :yahoo:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I’m watching early signs of Alzheimer’s or dementia take my dad away. My mom says he is ok and won’t take him for analysis.

We have never really had a close relationship so it is what it is

I don’t want to be where he is
No guarantee you'll travel the same path.

I'd rather not suffer but, we don't get those kind of options it seems.

With my luck, if I were to blow my brains out, I'd miss the incoming asteroid impact and I'd never forgive myself for that.

EDIT: The real measure of our character is how we deal with the personal suffering.
It's not pretty to watch loved ones or anyone, decline mentally but, there are precious moments we can still experience during it all.

I have a few great memories of Mom, when she was at the peak of not being with herself and then others when she was just about ready to go, that I would not trade for anything.

Top Bottom