I think I want a Buell Ulysses

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
I also think the Uly had fewer Recalls than any Buell before.....
I kinda always wanted one ...

the miles are racking up pretty fast on the big touring bike and I’d like to keep it around for awhile , don’t see dropping $30k to replace it anytime soon ...

A guy can rebuild a sporty pretty cheap ..

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
I had one and can't complain about it. But all it took was one ride on a Busa and I knew I made a mistake. I had my first Busa less than a year later.

S.C.
Yup I get it , I’m regressing ... I still have my 12 and love it , I still don’t have the discipline to commute on it and not commit a felony ...

Been enjoying riding slow bikes fast lately ...

Rolling 100 and sprinting to 120 on an Ultra is kind of a hoot 😎😎👍🏼

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I did have more relaxed fun at pinned throttle, on the KLX 400 I had.
Much less danger of getting busted on it than the on the litre bike at full song.

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
fakebook has loads of them...lol
Why not a dirtbike of sorts?
I have an EXC-F with plates on it for short jaunts and woods ...

my son took the triumph Daytona to NYC when he moved there so I’d like to have a decent size road bike for when he is home ...

i still cringe every time he leaves the house on the 12 lol

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
I did have more relaxed fun at pinned throttle, on the KLX 400 I had.
Much less danger of getting busted on it than the on the litre bike at full song.
👍👍

that Ultra is like a stealth bomber with stock pipes and I’m in full gear ... the cops don’t even look twice when I blow by at 85 ...

they are looking for the guy in the bandana with strait pipes , a baggie of speed in his pocket and a warrant for domestic..

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Still around, hard to navigate but I saw a few names I remember. The latest post I saw was about a year old, but there might have been something more current.

Saw Blake, Court, and Rex names.

whipit1K

BAMF
I like weird bikes to some degree as long as they are comfortable/rideable. I also have said I would like to own a HD at some point in life- likely a one time thing since I don't do foot forward cruisers at all, and that's all they've got. I had been looking at XR1200 and XR1200X models a lot lately.....

I think my once in a lifetime HD is going to be a buell instead of XR1200, though. I have always liked the Uly, I think the buell motor is pretty much in an XR1200 state of tune...and the Uly is close to 100 pounds lighter.

Told the seller of this bike, who I have been chasing around for 10 days, that I would take it... he is hard to communicate with and says he will be away another week, but if he calls me when he returns, I am going to grab this weird thing.120240228_10207577859560595_8766432737441384292_o (1).jpg

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Really? You can’t parts for a Harley motored bike?
I think he's talking about all the ancillary parts around the motor that are peculiar to a Buell.

Throttle cable, clutch cable, et cetera.

And God forbid you drop it or someone backs into it. Ebay will become your friend real quik*.

*Just checked Ebay, there's a couple being parted right now...

The 99 Buell got a lightened flywheel which I think set up engine destroying vibrations or harmonics. The 99 was arguably the least reliable year.

When some of the socal bunch started getting the Ulysses when they first came out it was at a new level of reliability. Guys loved them, I don't remember any complaints.

I had too much grief with my 95 S2 shock recall x3 sold my Harley and Buell and moved on.

whipit1K

BAMF
Annnd....here it is. Let my Harley-curious flirtation begin. So far I am very intrigued .

This is a large, tall, comfortable bike- should be very easy to ride. A lot.

Glad I bought this over XR1200, which I think I would have probably found to be cramped after a short distance?

Bags are built to last-- heavy! maybe sell them

Front tire is original w/ 9K milesthumbnail - 2021-02-24T141032.004.jpgthumbnail - 2021-02-24T140930.253.jpgthumbnail - 2021-02-24T141002.202.jpg

whipit1K

BAMF
I'm thinking the tires have timed out on life as far as safety goes, never mind the wear.
My old tire comment: I have this lovely 78 KZ650 for sale.

It is one of my resuscitated old "barn finds" Original and pretty nice, it had one owner from 78-2020. It was last on the road in 1987 and had has a total of 70 miles put on it since july 1986 according to inspection paperwork.

I had it going easily since the tank was spotless inside and the carbs not too bad- had her going about 105 on a back road shortly after my carb work was completed.

Then I took a peek at the build date on the tires. one was made in 1980, the other in 81. and the tread on the rear was kind of "going it's own way"
This may have been my personal speed record on 40 year old tires....the tires made a cracking, crunching sound when I changed them a little while later.

thumbnail - 2021-02-24T143448.617.jpg

whipit1K

BAMF
I think I might hold off until I get to check out the pan American 👍
The pan america i trying to compete with modern, established high end ADV bikes like the GS and the KTM's.... I really bought this bike because I wanted to own a traditional HD bike at some point in my life, likely just once.

Yes, I know this is not a traditional HD , but the engine character is traditional HD. I don't do cruisers, never gonna start, so it came down to a Uly or a HD XR1200. I found a killer deal on a sub 10K mile Uly in very nice shape so I grabbed it. This thing is likely 10 times more comfortable than the XR1200, has wind protection, and is about 80 pounds lighter. score.

Rode it a bit today, it is a hoot. It is no 1290R , but it scoots along pretty good, and has a really cool mechanical presence, has a "big standard" bike feel and no cruiser DNA at all. Love it

120240228_10207577859560595_8766432737441384292_o.jpg

Ninjaman12R

Wears bright green elf knickers as leg armor

Wretch

amazingly graceful

It is close enough to me if anyone wants me to check it out
I went to high school there for a little while.

Before there were wall to wall subdivisions and it was nothing but small farms and cow pastures.
We lived in Lucas at the time.

It is a sweet looking bike for the money!

Top Bottom