I mean, it's just a movie, right?

Austin_F

BAMF+
No surprise coming from the hypocritical left.

Claim to be against gun violence yet have no trouble glorifying it for paychecks.

Manufactured outrage. Only 2 websites are trying to spin this shit, but they are doing their best. Don't think it's going to catch on though. "Deplorables"? Where are they getting this? Rich people hunting plebs is hardly a new plot device.

Right wingers: mass shootings are a fact of life, deal with it you freedom hating snowflake

Also right wingers: omg hollywood violence, HYPOCRITES!

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Manufactured outrage. Only 2 websites are trying to spin this shit, but they are doing their best. Don't think it's going to catch on though. "Deplorables"? Where are they getting this? Rich people hunting plebs is hardly a new plot device.

Right wingers: mass shootings are a fact of life, deal with it you freedom hating snowflake

Also right wingers: omg hollywood violence, HYPOCRITES!
you're saying that "right wingers" are ok with mass shootings.

you're saying that "right wingers" are ok with mass shootings.
Right wingers associate mass shootings with the unfortunate side effect of being a free nation with a strong 2nd amendment.

Plus, I'm told the actual number of victims is very small compared to cardiac disease and car accidents, so it's not a big deal.

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
Fuck off, punk kid. Goddamn, you don't have to open your fucking yap at every opportunity to issue your intentionally contrarian bullshit. You keep trying to buddy up to folks, suggesting that they have a beer with you. I wouldn't walk across the street to meet you....shut your fucking mouth already, eh?

Austin_F

BAMF+
Yeesh.

AD and I are opposites in many ways but I'd have a beer with the guy.

If americans and germans can come together one night in the middle of a war I think labs people could share a beer.

I'd love to have a beer with glustoff.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
"So every one is upset at a few deaths. Big fucking deal"

You tell me, Maui. What do you think?
I think that everyone is upset with Mass Shootings. Anyone who is not upset with a mass shooting is a sociopath.

I think that your argument requires you to vilify people that don't have your opinion with radical statements that are completely untrue so that you can justify your position.

I think you would not find one "right winger" who is "Ok" with mass shootings.

I think that your argument requires you to vilify people that don't have your opinion with radical statements that are completely untrue so that you can justify your position.

I think you would not find one "right winger" who is "Ok" with mass shootings.
You're pushing the me into "right wingers are okay with shootings" position so you can write off my argument. I stand by "mass shootings are a natural side effect of freedom" statement because that is what is explicitly stated. The right wing response generally consists of downplaying the # of shooting victims by bringing in car accident statistics and when called out for being tone deaf and missing the point (which it is), the response is that liberals are too concerned with emotions or some other nonsense. Do right wingers get upset? Sure, but partly because it reignites debate over gun bans. Never fails with every shooting, threads pop up about stocking up on guns and ammo. One member blamed the victims for not carrying guns.

So yes, just based on the statements I see around here on Labs, you'll have to forgive me if I fail to see sympathy for victims being very high up on the list.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Looks like the 'deplorable' chick is the hero, based on this description and the trailer- could it be a little more 'manufactured outrage'? Say it ain't so...:

Description
Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don’t know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen… for a very specific purpose … The Hunt. In the shadow of a dark internet conspiracy theory, a group of globalist elites gathers for the very first time at a remote Manor House to hunt humans for sport. But the elites’ master plan is about to be derailed because one of the hunted, Crystal (Betty Gilpin, GLOW), knows The Hunters’ game better than they do. She turns the tables on the killers, picking them off, one by one, as she makes her way toward the mysterious woman (two-time Oscar® winner Hilary Swank) at the center of it all.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
Right wingers associate mass shootings with the unfortunate side effect of being a free nation with a strong 2nd amendment.
Plus, I'm told the actual number of victims is very small compared to cardiac disease and car accidents, so it's not a big deal.
What about Kip Wingers? Debra Wingers? The 2nd is just as strong as the 16th... but Im going to go out on a limp that you are more affected by the 16th than the 2nd. Except if you reside in a communist suck hole like NY or CA.
Mass shootings dont just happen in Massachusetts!!

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
You're pushing the me into "right wingers are okay with shootings" position so you can write off my argument. I stand by "mass shootings are a natural side effect of freedom" statement because that is what is explicitly stated. The right wing response generally consists of downplaying the # of shooting victims by bringing in car accident statistics and when called out for being tone deaf and missing the point (which it is), the response is that liberals are too concerned with emotions or some other nonsense. Do right wingers get upset? Sure, but partly because it reignites debate over gun bans. Never fails with every shooting, threads pop up about stocking up on guns and ammo. One member blamed the victims for not carrying guns.

So yes, just based on the statements I see around here on Labs, you'll have to forgive me if I fail to see sympathy for victims being very high up on the list.
I don't want to write off your argument, I want you to use facts.

downplaying the # of shooting victims by bringing in car accident statistics, true, some people down play them. The car accident stats are also true though. It's a comparison. Take it for what it is. Come up with a counter argument with facts like it's downplayed by some.

Do right wingers get upset? Sure, but partly because it reignites debate over gun bans....true. Now figure out where the debate is. Use facts.

One member blamed the victims for not carrying guns.....Not sure if this is really true, the member might have said something to the effect of being armed might have slowed this, but as far as placing fault on the victims part, I would need to see the context of the post. If the person mentioned said the victims are at fault I would say they are categorically wrong on that. Frankly I find it hard to believe someone would claim fault on the victims, but I'd humor you to provide a link to this, other wise this is in the category of "right wingers are okay with shootings".

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
'manufactured outrage'?
likely

still if they had been hunting liberals I think there would be an explosion in the media with the exact same story line.

might have sold more, but who knows

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
likely

still if they had been hunting liberals I think there would be an explosion in the media with the exact same story line.

might have sold more, but who knows
Come on- the 'little guy' taking on and beating a group of 'powerful elites' and winning comprises the plot of a large percentage of Hollywood movies- from the description and the trailer, the 'little guys' win and 'powerful elites' will be made to look like assholes.

The 'liberals' are usually the ones in the 'little guy' position in this type of flick- this movie (which is listed as a satire) looks like it's featuring a different protagonist in the same old story, with the same old result. Hollywood nearly always portrays the government/powerful people as the villains. That there might be scenes where the 'elites' refer to the 'deplorables' (a term the author of the article, who hasn't seen the movie, is using) by pejorative descriptives isn't exactly shocking- remember, we're supposed to root for the 'little guys', so we need to be made to dislike the 'elites'. Granted, I'm making assumptions here based on little info, but so is the writer of the the article in the OP.

Again, manufactured outrage- it's what Fox News (and pretty much every other news outlet, in one direction or another) does.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Come on- the 'little guy' taking on and beating a group of 'powerful elites' and winning comprises the plot of a large percentage of Hollywood movies- from the description and the trailer, the 'little guys' win and 'powerful elites' will be made to look like assholes.

The 'liberals' are usually the ones in the 'little guy' position in this type of flick- this movie (which is listed as a satire) looks like it's featuring a different protagonist in the same old story, with the same old result. Hollywood nearly always portrays the government/powerful people as the villains. That there might be scenes where the 'elites' refer to the 'deplorables' (a term the author of the article, who hasn't seen the movie, is using) by pejorative terms isn't exactly shocking- remember, we're supposed to root for the 'little guys', so we need to be made to dislike the 'elites'. Granted, I'm making assumptions here based on little info, but so is the writer of the the article in the OP.

Again, manufactured outrage- it's what Fox News (and pretty much every other news outlet, in one direction or another) does.
there's only one way to settle this

I don't want to write off your argument, I want you to use facts.
The sentiments are all over the internet, but I'm using examples from posts on this forum. It doesn't get more factual than that.

downplaying the # of shooting victims by bringing in car accident statistics, true, some people down play them. The car accident stats are also true though. It's a comparison. Take it for what it is. Come up with a counter argument with facts like it's downplayed by some.
It's a false comparison. One person isn't causing all of these traffic fatalities. One person isn't causing all of these medical errors, or heart attacks, or whatever other meaningless comparison. But I'm not here to debate gun control, but rather to support my statement that right wingers don't really give a rat's ass about shootings beyond sending thoughts and prayers - minimizing these tragedies shows exactly that.

One member blamed the victims for not carrying guns.....Not sure if this is really true, the member might have said something to the effect of being armed might have slowed this, but as far as placing fault on the victims part, I would need to see the context of the post. If the person mentioned said the victims are at fault I would say they are categorically wrong on that. Frankly I find it hard to believe someone would claim fault on the victims, but I'd humor you to provide a link to this, other wise this is in the category of "right wingers are okay with shootings".
Of course it's true. See post below - 100% victim blaming for not carrying a gun to walmart (ironically, the one guy that admitted to carrying a gun opted to not engage the shooter - there goes that idea).

Funny, no where in that post is there any anger at the shooter. I assume it's implied.

This isn't just one person's post - it's a sentiment I see come up frequently after shootings.

El paso is a shit hole. And is very dangerous. My ass puckers driving through - I have a HUGE set of balls and El Paso scares the crap out of me. aint nothing good comes out of that place, Juarez across the fence. Texas can carry. there is no reason for this to go down unchallenged. In an army base town.
Why someone didnt pull a rifle off the rack and load it and get busy is beyond me. they had the right and it remains legal to carry & protect themselves and they chose not to. Im angry all right. i am angry that people made a conscious decision to be a sitting duck. In a group That large there shoulda been no less than 10 operators.
Women with children- Im extra pissed at them- it is their responsibility to protect their children.
I am armed and well trained because i am a mother and a grandma. Im a door kicker because i can. There is no reason you cant too. This dood clearly was an operator. I smell antifa.
People are training to kill you. Shouldnt you be training to defend yerself and yer family?

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Blah, blah, blah, Hostel, Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on The Left...

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
I wouldn't have a beer with Anal even if it meant he'd have his gimp drink it with his anus.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Babies make people smile.
But yeah, is it fake news or real life?
The initial back-story doesn't look awesome.
Fuckit though. Grandpa is smiling so...

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Pretending to be sad when you've just had a good "moment" is lying.
That sounds so stoopid but I think it's true. :lol:

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Why are so many people getting so bent out of shape about this? What's the fucking deal? It's just a movie. It isn't real.

And its not like it has never been done before.

It is a direct rip off of Ice T's 'Surviving The Game'...

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Tying a gun to walmart (ironically, the one guy that admitted to carrying a gun opted to not engage the shooter - there goes that idea).

Funny, no where in that post is there any anger at the shooter. I assume it's implied.

This isn't just one person's post - it's a sentiment I see come up frequently after shootings.
Blaming people for not being armed is ridiculous. It's the right to bear arms not the commandment to bear arms. I go to the store unarmed every day. The chances of a guy shooting up the place are astronomically slim.

Shotlady has always been a bit outside the tracks of most, part of her charm I suppose. But if you think that one post represents "the right" then you have have to also take the most extreme left person as what represents the left, like the guy who fire bombed an ICE facility in Washington state.

Personally I would consider that (Brandy's) a fringe opinion. If you honestly think that the right, or people who identify as conservative, hold the view that it's the victims fault then I would have to advice you to abandon all hope of ever reaching middle ground with a group like that. I like Brandy, but I'm not going to try and convince her that she's wrong. Likewise I'm not going to try and convince you that you are wrong.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
But if you think that one post represents "the right" then you have have to also take the most extreme left person as what represents the left, like the guy who fire bombed an ICE facility in Washington state.
And I do - I realize that nutcases exist all over the political spectrum and off of it as well. But the right wing nutcases have a monopoly on terrorist events (subject for another debate) and the Republican response has overwhelmingly been a collective shrug of the shoulders.

I don't agree with a gun ban, but I can't fault Dems for trying to do something about it. Lots of people are upset and no amount of "actually gun deaths are a small fraction of all deaths" statistical fuckery is going make things right.

OP
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
But the right wing nutcases have a monopoly on terrorist events
:roll:

and the Republican response has overwhelmingly been a collective shrug of the shoulders.
:roll: :roll:

I don't agree with a gun ban, but I can't fault Dems for trying to do something about it. Lots of people are upset and no amount of "actually gun deaths are a small fraction of all deaths" statistical fuckery is going make things right.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
The view is becoming more widely held every day that jooz shouldn't be allowed to own anything.

End right-wing extremism? Fine

What does that have to do with me owning a gun?
The majority of attacks used guns to kill as many possible in the shortest time. They are cheap, relatively easy to access, and require no skill or intelligence to use. At least with a bomb, there's a good chance the person will fuck it up and create a dud or better yet, accidentally blow themselves up in the process.

Can't ban right wing extremism any more than you can ban an idea, so if you can't ban the people, ban the tools. Decrease their lethality, decrease the body count.

This is twofold: there is a cultural allure to having guns that impart a psychological effect on the user. It's a great tool to equalize power and overcome oppression, it's no wonder that many of these shooters feel like society has been shitting all over them and this is the only way they can lash out and seek revenege. Others have a martyr/hero complex - trying to fight off the Mexican invasion and to maintain the "American way of life" (aka keep America white) - they see themselves as the hero in their story and what action hero doesn't have a gun?

There is an interesting psychological phenomenom called the "weapons effect", where people acted more aggressively around weapons. Fascinating study, I'm on mobile so its a pain to link, but I recommend you look it up. I'm not saying weapons cause aggression, but they will certainly ramp it up in the hands of someone unstable.

ysr_racer

The majority of attacks used guns to kill as many possible in the shortest time. They are cheap, relatively easy to access, and require no skill or intelligence to use. At least with a bomb, there's a good chance the person will fuck it up and create a dud or better yet, accidentally blow themselves up in the process.

Can't ban right wing extremism any more than you can ban an idea, so if you can't ban the people, ban the tools. Decrease their lethality, decrease the body count.

This is twofold: there is a cultural allure to having guns that impart a psychological effect on the user. It's a great tool to equalize power and overcome oppression, it's no wonder that many of these shooters feel like society has been shitting all over them and this is the only way they can lash out and seek revenege. Others have a martyr/hero complex - trying to fight off the Mexican invasion and to maintain the "American way of life" (aka keep America white) - they see themselves as the hero in their story and what action hero doesn't have a gun?

There is an interesting psychological phenomenom called the "weapons effect", where people acted more aggressively around weapons. Fascinating study, I'm on mobile so its a pain to link, but I recommend you look it up. I'm not saying weapons cause aggression, but they will certainly ramp it up in the hands of someone unstable.
Oh I agree, but what does any of that have to do with me? When I lived in AZ 30 years ago I had an S&W M76. A full auto 9mm.

I didn't hurt anybody with it. Same as now. They guns I own haven't hurt anybody.

Why should my constitutional rights be impacted?

ysr_racer

Not to mention, in every one of those mass shootings the perpetrator had a two ton weapon at their disposal, and used it to get to their target area.

It's called an automobile, and it can easily be driven into a crowd of people.

Again, restricting the guns I own, or the automobiles I own isn't going to decrease crime one bit, BECAUSE I'M NOT A FUCKING LUNATIC.

Top Bottom