I just put an automatic chain oiler on a guys Honda.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
He rides the shit out of it, hundreds of miles per week. He was always axing aboot how often to lube his chain, how to adjust it, if he should clean it, just regular pain in the ass aboot it. I told him to get a Scottoiler for it. Of course he got some other fancy electronic brand called Cameleon. The Scottoiler uses engine vacuum and a manual adjustable flow valve to control it, it would last a lifetime. Who knows how long this fancy 'puter one will work. It has a button you have to push to adjust it and blinky lights. :roll:

If I had a chain drive street motorcycle and rode the thing, an automatic chain oiler would be an absolute accessory for it! Git one!

Bandit Man

BAMF
I had a Scottoiler on my Transalp. It worked well. Kept the chain well lubed. I put a fish valve on the vacuum hose to keep it from over oiling when it got hot.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

I had a Scottoiler on my Transalp. It worked well. Kept the chain well lubed. I put a fish valve on the vacuum hose to keep it from over oiling when it got hot.

This one is time based. It's drips are adjustable to one ever 5~10 seconds, or somewhere around that. And it is supposed to be temperature compensating and automatically senses when you go off road. Or so it claims.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
And what is the difference from chain wax and chain lube?. which is better? Why?

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

And what is the difference from chain wax and chain lube?. which is better? Why?
Don't even go there with me...

The original Yamaha XV920 had an enclosed oil bathed drive chain. The engine wore out before the chain.

MC worked on a XV920R, a chain drive Virago that was marketed alongside the shaft drive cruiser here in the States for 2 years.

It was called the TR1 over in Europe and even had a different seat/rear fender compared to ours. Rare bikes over here.

Yamaha XV920R
The dual horns really set it off

busa10

BAMF
Made a manual oiler by making part of the frame the oil reservoir, a flattened 1/8" copper tube with a very little hole in the end routed to the inside of the chain at the primary sprocket and a carb priming bulb. Just pushed the bulb while driving into a gas station on every fill up. Never had to tighten that chain. Used engine oil. Cost about $5.

Top Bottom