I got a Rancher ATV

Dameon

BAMF+
A true sport quad should be 2wd, have a manual clutch and foot shifted 5 or 6 speed, chain drive, 3 disc brakes all hydraulic, and lots of suspension travel. Of course they have deviated far from this in the modern world.
I ran (and even raced) Suzuki QuadSports in the 80's. Stock 230cc engine class. Carb tuning, air box, exhaust, gearing was about all we did to it. I also spent a lot of enduro time on a Kawasaki Mojave 250cc.

OP
braindead_organdonor
I ran (and even raced) Suzuki QuadSports in the 80's. Stock 230cc engine class. Carb tuning, air box, exhaust, gearing was about all we did to it. I also spent a lot of enduro time on a Kawasaki Mojave 250cc.
I'd like to have another Banshee but they are gold these days. I can't see paying 5-6K for a used one, that's what they cost new when I was riding them in the 90s.
I'd probably go with the Yamaha 450 these days for a sport quad.

Dameon

BAMF+
I'd like to have another Banshee but they are gold these days. I can't see paying 5-6K for a used one, that's what they cost new when I was riding them in the 90s.
Yeah, my neighbor has some kind of "limited edition" Banshee. I've seen it, but didn't recognize the graphics. Didn't care for the color (yellow tank area and purple everywhere else with some "splash" Banshee logos on the rear fenders; very 90's). He swears it's rarer than hens teeth. I told him to call me when he wants to sell it. He said not to hold my breath. :roll:

Yeah, I'd really like to have an original QuadRacer 500... Quadzilla. I think they all pretty shelled themselves and likely are extinct. I think they had a lean fueling issue, which destroyed most of the engines and they didn't sell that well besides.

chuck356

BAMF
I owned a couple of the Mojave 250's, not a bad sport ATV back in the day. A friend and I also built a 270cc Suzuki Quadsport, it ran really well. And made a huge pile of metal chips on the boring bar.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Banshee's are tiny little things compared to today's giant ATV's. Around here, the Bro-Hams love them, get them all fired up on MLK Day.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I think the Honda Roncon was the first sport/utility ATV that really caught my attention. Pretty sure the first one that hit the Honda shop here ended up at my yard. They were pretty smooth rides but too soft for the utility part and even though they had a larger engine, way under powered.

We had someone drop a Yamaha Raptor 660 off for us to demo. Our trails were fairly technical, lots of rock, tight turns, etc. The Rincon ate the Raptor alive in that venue. If were in a more open setting I'm sure it would have been reversed. The Raptor could never get traction or get to the speed that the suspension worked. In the rocky shit the IRS with 4x4 killed it.

My Suzuki King Quad is a far better performer. Polaris and a few others have also nicely filled this gap. Another issue was that we'd get into shitty places and have to reverse up out of a hole. A 2 wheel drive ATV is just stuck in that deal.

Dameon

BAMF+
Banshee's are tiny little things compared to today's giant ATV's. Around here, the Bro-Hams love them, get them all fired up on MLK Day.
Yeah, around they are relegated to street or dune duty. Don't see them on the trails too often.

And you're right. They are really small and light compared to anything available today.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I used to see a guy on a piped Banshee with wheelie bars at the drag strip, was quick in the 1/8, I don't remember his times, but was running around 98mph if I recall correctly.

Dameon

BAMF+
We had someone drop a Yamaha Raptor 660 off for us to demo.
I always had high hopes for the Raptor. By time I got an opportunity to consider one, they kind of faded away in this area. Never really saw them on the trails. I figured they would make good dune bikes... lots of power and suspension travel... like you experienced. Not good for technical trails, which is my favorite terrain.

My Suzuki King Quad is a far better performer. Polaris and a few others have also nicely filled this gap.
I remember the first King Quad. I think it was a 250cc and had 15 forward speeds... 5 speed transmission and 3 speed transfer case... High, Low and Super Low. Got to ride one of the original models not long after it came out. Not sure where you'd practically ever use Super Low. Seemed like 5th gear topped out at about 10mph!

Another issue was that we'd get into shitty places and have to reverse up out of a hole. A 2 wheel drive ATV is just stuck in that deal.
I can't count the number of times I had to back out of nasty shit on my Mojave. It had a reverse (that I seem to remember being tricky to engage), but I usually ended up just picking it up and jerking it around until it was unstuck. I kept a rope in the tiny toolbox behind the seat for pulling from the comfort of outside the mud hole.

Dameon

BAMF+
I owned a couple of the Mojave 250's, not a bad sport ATV back in the day.
They had a real unique thump to them. If I remember correctly DOHC engine?

A friend and I also built a 270cc Suzuki Quadsport, it ran really well. And made a huge pile of metal chips on the boring bar.
I'm surprised the head had enough metal to get another 40cc. Did you change cam/lift to get the extra cc's?

Dameon

BAMF+
This is all bringing back some memories... my favorite all around quad "back in day" was my '88 Warrior. Yamaha 350cc with electric start. My QuadSport and Mojave were some shin busting bastards if you slipped off the kick starter and happened to not be wearing your riding boots. Warrior was never a problem.

OP
braindead_organdonor
I've had a Mojave 250, they weren't well liked it seemed.

Yes DOHC, water cooled, no battery, kick only, Reverse with 3 disc brakes. Decent suspension for the day.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I used to see a guy on a piped Banshee with wheelie bars at the drag strip, was quick in the 1/8, I don't remember his times, but was running around 98mph if I recall correctly.
the broughams around here had some quads setup for sp.e 600' action. Notice they couldnt do timed distances and always wanted to start beyond the 60' timer. It was worse on a street... such fags.
What made me laugh was the nitwits that agreed to race like that. Also like any ghetto brougham it was about cheating.

chuck356

BAMF
They had a real unique thump to them. If I remember correctly DOHC engine?

I'm surprised the head had enough metal to get another 40cc. Did you change cam/lift to get the extra cc's?
We were first running Supertrapp exhaust on the Mojave, then White Bros came out with the E-series, worked real well on the Mojo. It was a DOHC design, and if you understood them were easy to keep running well. On the Quadspork 230, I bored the CYLINDER out past the stock sleeve and resleeved it to accept the 270cc piston. I did a quick and dirty port job on the cylinder head, and we used an aftermarket cam of some grind, and a larger flatslide carb. I would run with a stock 250 Quadracer and was real tractable. We never developed the chassis very far, as it was just an experiment.

r1racer

BAMF
there are far better choices for racing or mud snorkeling, but in the woods it's hard not to like the honda atv's....

0722190821.jpg

0722191447b.jpg

Last edited:

wormser77

BAMF
I'd probably go with the Yamaha 450 these days for a sport quad.
Still see em for a reasonable price around here.

Dameon

BAMF+
Still see em for a reasonable price around here.
Yeah, I'm not sure $3200 seems reasonable. I guess it isn't outrageous, which makes it reasonable?

Likely still for sale because no one searches for "Banchee". You'd think he could take the time to look at the photos which clearly and correctly spell Banshee.

What's with the 2-into-1 muffler thingey? 2 stroke compliancy bullshit for WA?

wormser77

BAMF
Yeah, I'm not sure $3200 seems reasonable. I guess it isn't outrageous, which makes it reasonable?

Likely still for sale because no one searches for "Banchee". You'd think he could take the time to look at the photos which clearly and correctly spell Banshee.

What's with the 2-into-1 muffler thingey? 2 stroke compliancy bullshit for WA?
What's reasonable then? He's asking $3,200 obo so probably walk out for $2,800. For a clean freshened up banshee that seems completely reasonable 🤷‍♂️
We don't do compliance in Eastern Wa. We're on the good side of the mountains😆

Dameon

BAMF+
What's reasonable then? He's asking $3,200 obo so probably walk out for $2,800. For a clean freshened up banshee that seems completely reasonable 🤷‍♂️
That's just it... I don't know what reasonable is. What was the MSRP on the Banshee in 1996? $5000? I guess it's hard to put a value on something like that, but 50% depreciation in 24 years? Not a bad investment.

Does a 1999 Hayabusa sell for 50% of it's 1999 MSRP?

OP
braindead_organdonor
I remember paying 3400 for a 2 year old banshee. General rule is if looking at quads under 3k expect problems.

Ranchers seem to hold value as well... since i had to pay 4k for the 7 year old pristine example above that was 6200 new plus tax/fees. I looked for cheaper but all were ran into the ground or kid owned.

r1racer

BAMF
I dont think the original MSRP is relevant for couple reasons....
  1. Banshees are long out of production & highly regarded for sand dunes etc.
  2. Today's comparable Sport ATV's are limited production and $$$$
  3. CV19 has diminished supply and increased demand
for comparison, a friend just picked a slightly used awd scrambler with power steering for $8,500 which was a very good deal.....

20201018_151559.jpg

Last edited:

Dameon

BAMF+
I dont think the original MSRP is relevant for couple reasons....
Yeah, those are good points and the real answer is (as always) "it's worth what someone will pay you for it". That number could change by the week... up or down and regionally.

for comparison, a friend just picked a slightly used awd scrambler with power steering for $8,500 which was a very good deal.....
Damn! I didn't think they still made the Scrambler and I didn't realize they were $8500. Maybe I should have held onto my "gen 1" model.

Top Bottom