I got a Rancher ATV

This is the 6th ATV for me and the first utility I've ever owned. Been looking for several months, hard to find. 4x4 and electric shift being the minimum model I would accept. So that's what I ended up with. Bonus it already has a winch, but no retarded kid shit like snorkels or oversize tires and lift kits. I think I did pretty good. Will be using it to get firewood and play around here mostly.

RancherC.jpg

RancherD.jpg

RancherB.jpg

RancherE.jpg

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Don't want to rain on your parade, but good luck with the electric shift. On the positive side, you could probably winch your way home.
They snorkel the things up there too?

OP
braindead_organdonor
Don't want to rain on your parade, but good luck with the electric shift. On the positive side, you could probably winch your way home.
They snorkel the things up there too?
I worked on those things at Honda, electric shift has been around for 20 years now.
99% of the time, it's the $35 shift angle sensor. Unless you get one that's covered in pig shit or sunk in the mud constantly. Yes they add snorkels everywhere, not sure if most of them are just posers or they really like being wet all day.

Master-Cylinder

They use the fucking things as submarines here. And then the fucking swampbillies would drag them in covered in mud, with reeds and weeds wrapped around anything that turned.
A guy at work has one, it doesn't shift.

OP
braindead_organdonor
Your environment is hard on powersports equipment, swamps and salt water/air.
What has the guy at work tried to get it to shift again?

Master-Cylinder

Your environment is hard on powersports equipment, swamps and salt water/air.
What has the guy at work tried to get it to shift again?
He plans on taking it somewhere. He's a software weeny. I told him aboot the sensor, we replaced them by the dozen at The Junk Yard.

I'd weld a Jockey Shifter to the thing sticking out the engine, and ride it like that.

OP
braindead_organdonor
I'd weld a Jockey Shifter to the thing sticking out the engine, and ride it like that.
Some models have the manual override on the left side so the after market sells a foot shifter for those.

They all have a manual override that if you carry a wrench you can at least get them in first gear.

Master-Cylinder

Well to make you feel better, after my '78 DT250 sits for a day or two, the clutch glues itself together and stalls as soon as you drop it in gear. Luckily my driveway has a bit of a downhill to it. I get it coasting, drop it in gear and hope to hell it breaks loose before I hit the street.
Sure, I could fix it, but I won't.

OP
braindead_organdonor
Well to make you feel better, after my '78 DT250 sits for a day or two, the clutch glues itself together and stalls as soon as you drop it in gear. Luckily my driveway has a bit of a downhill to it. I get it coasting, drop it in gear and hope to hell it breaks loose before I hit the street.
Had a Banshee last year that did that shit all the time. Wasn't mine but had it for a year or so.
2nd gear seemed to break it loose easier. Of course afterwards it's fine.

Vicious_Cycle

HOLYBAMF
I quit starting my Harley in neutral because of the horrendous noise it makes when I go from neutral to first after it has been sitting for any amount of time. It's easier to put it in first before I start it, pull in the clutch and hit the starter button. Doing that usually breaks the clutch loose before it goes very far...

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I had a shit load of those machines (60?), for a while we were going through angle sensors like M&Ms. I had the senior VP to American Honda come riding with me once and at the end he said good machines right? I told him pretty much except for the angle sensors. He asked how often they went out. I called one of my guides over and said how many angle sensors do you have in your pocket right now and he said 2 good ones and one bad one.

the look on his face was priceless.

We would stand the ATV up on the rear bumper and change them in about 3 minutes from the bottom.

A week later I got a crate of angle sensors from the VP guy, he said he had tracked them down, a sub contracted part, he changed subcontractors. The new ones were way better.

btw...swap your front tires left to right

OP
braindead_organdonor
A week later I got a crate of angle sensors from the VP guy, he said he had tracked them down, a sub contracted part, he changed subcontractors. The new ones were way better.

Thanks, and thanks.:up:

Austin_F

BAMF+
I had a shit load of those machines (60?), for a while we were going through angle sensors like M&Ms. I had the senior VP to American Honda come riding with me once and at the end he said good machines right? I told him pretty much except for the angle sensors. He asked how often they went out. I called one of my guides over and said how many angle sensors do you have in your pocket right now and he said 2 good ones and one bad one.

the look on his face was priceless.

We would stand the ATV up on the rear bumper and change them in about 3 minutes from the bottom.

that's a pretty good story!

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
solid axle machines are decent (enough) for riding, where they shine though is when you load the shit out of them or tow something.
They are superior siding hills, as well. My grizzly wanted to tip over on stuff that solid axle quads were stable upon.

They were a huge liability in well-dug mud bogs.

OP
braindead_organdonor
So far so good, haven't had to use the 4x4 yet. Used it to drag the engine hoist across the yard.
All my trails have grown into single track so been working on that.
I like this how this quad, being fuel injected, is ready to move as soon as you hit the start button.

gsxrian

BAMF
Three weeks ago i bought a 2020 Suzuki 400 asi, 2020 Suzuki 500 axi, 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 to get the kids out of the house and off the damn computers.

I did a lot of ATVing with them from 2000 to 2010, it is a blast!

Dameon

BAMF+
Beat me to it... tread direction is one of my pet peeves. That and direction wheels (or lack thereof) on cars/trucks.

Anyway, I would add a flat strap style leader to your winch clevis hook. For two reasons: to make it easier and safe to pull out the cable and gives you something to hook to your front rack to keep the hook from catching on something while you're buzzing down the trail.

First upgrade? Consider nylon over cable in your winch.

OP
braindead_organdonor
The directional arrows point the right way on the front tires. They are original Maxxis tires and pretty worn.

About the winch. I plan on getting stuck very few times. But I do plan to use the winch to pull logs around and stuff.
Nylon or steel cable....discuss further please.

r1racer

BAMF
In addition to nylon winch I'd strongly advise purchasing a GPS (garmin montana or similar), small compressor, plug kit, battery jumper, silky or corona hand saw, cheap light bar, plow etc.

All of our road and dirt helmets have sena smh10r communicators which are absolutely awesome and make the ride way more enjoyable .

It's very easy to get lost in trails especially with fall leaves, light snow squalls, loss of daylight etc. Don't assume cellular service is available especially deep in woods.

Enjoy your new rides!
1119181610a.jpg

Last edited:
  • WTF
Reactions: Red

Dameon

BAMF+
The directional arrows point the right way on the front tires. They are original Maxxis tires and pretty worn.
That's odd that the tread pattern is "backward". I wonder if there is a reason for that. Are they marked as sand tires or something?

Nylon or steel cable....discuss further please.
All the usual arguments... I prefer the nylon because it's more flexible which allows easier rewinding (safer too) and somewhat less deadly when it pops under load. If does break on the trailer, you can usually fix it well enough to continue using it... like tying it in a knot. Can't do that with cable. You'd have to plan ahead and bring cable clamps or whatnot. Most ATV/Jeep forums have extensive debate threads about nylon vs. cable.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
I can splice an eye in small diameter cable in less than 5 minutes. I can cunt slice two pieces of small diameter cable together in less than ten minutes with a screw driver.

Dameon

BAMF+
I'd strongly advise purchasing a GPS (garmin montana or similar), small compressor, plug kit, battery jumper, silky or corona hand saw, cheap light bar etc.
All excellent suggestions. I always kept a small toolbox with every one of those items you mentioned minus the light bar. That wasn't really a thing back in my ATV days. I also had a simple toolkit (one of those Harbor Freight things you'd probably laugh at under normal circumstances, but a can be a lifesaver on the trail). When I got my Rhino, I bought a slightly bigger toolbox that fit under the drivers seat. Added a tow strap, zip ties, duct tape, small WD40 can, etc.

It's very easy to get lost in trails especially with fall leaves, light snow squalls, loss of daylight etc. Don't assume cellular service is available especially deep in woods.
In my most prolific of ATV riding days, mobile phones weren't even a thing. I can't tell you the number of times I got lost on trails... usually after dark and usually coming the opposite direction. You might be surprised how different a trail looks when going the opposite direction. One missed turn is all it takes. I'd nestle down in a hidden off trail location until sunrise. Fine if the weather is nice.

Dameon

BAMF+
I can splice an eye in small diameter cable in less than 5 minutes. I can cunt slice two pieces of small diameter cable together in less than ten minutes with a screw driver.
No doubt you can make due. You posses a special set of skills for this type of situation. Any Joe can tie a Granny knot in a nylon cable/strap.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
+1 on the nylon lead for the winch. easier on the hands when you're trying to work. Also I think they take up less space on a spool so you can get an extra 20% of line.

we didn't ever carry an air compressor but we did carry tech (brand) tire plugs. Its all but impossible to de-bead an ATV tire so even at zero you can still limp it somewhere if you have to. They only take about 3 psi to run well. They say you can't use them in a side wall....we did all the time. Not the best but again if you just want to make it home you're not looking for style points.

Dameon

BAMF+
we didn't ever carry an air compressor but we did carry tech (brand) tire plugs.
Interesting. So how did you reinflate the tire after getting the plug in place?

Its all but impossible to de-bead an ATV tire so even at zero you can still limp it somewhere if you have to.
No plug needed then?

They say you can't use them in a side wall....we did all the time.
Yeah, I've always wondered why they stated "not for sidewall". Likely liability. I had more plugs in my sidewalls than I did in the tread. For me, it wasn't about just getting home. I'd run the plugs until the tire wore out. :lol:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
if the tire has a slow leak we would jam one in and ride back to the base yard. If it was really low, and you took all the weight off of it when you plug it, it acts as an air bag of sorts, the weight of the machine and rider would run about 1psi. Even that little bit helped.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
On our Jeeps or Humvee we would sometimes take a small CO2 bottle out for a repair. We de-beaded a tire on one of our jeeps after a 1.5" cut in the sidewall. Maybe 5 miles out, not too bad. Jammed about 20 of the tech plugs in it. Filled it with started fluid and lit it off then drove it back. We were curious how long it would last so we ran it for a while. After a couple of weeks decided the test period was over and replaced it,

Snail

A granny knot reduces the tensile strength of line by about 30%.

Snail

Instead, look up and learn to tie a double carrick bend for joining two pieces of rope (NOT cable).

Snail

A carrick bend is similar to a bowline...it can be untied, and works to join two pieces of dissimilar diameter lengths of rope.

Snail

The easiest eye splice, (cable) is called a "farmer eye", learn it.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
having an air compressor when you need one is better than not having one. We were always trying to manage loads though. Most of the stuff we carried for commercial tours was to take care of the people not the machines. Machines could wait, people not so much.

r1racer

BAMF
Not knowing anything about atvs, what makes it a utility? What is it if it's not a utility?
Utility ATVs are designed for farm or other work, typically 4wd, hauling, plow snow, winch etc.

Sport quads are for fun, going fast, getting lost in trails, mostly 2wd, smaller market share, less work more fun

There's bleed as folks want all in one machine & some manufacturers try to provide the best of both worlds

OP
braindead_organdonor
I learned a 500cc jug will ft right on this basically making it a Foreman engine with different gearing.
Giving me a whole 1hp.

If you want any sort of performance, Honda uitlity is not the way to go.

Dameon

BAMF+
Not knowing anything about atvs, what makes it a utility? What is it if it's not a utility?
Simple version: racks or not.

There have been a few hybrids... Yamaha Wolverine and the Polaris Scrambler. The Wolverine leaned more towards sporty utility as it had racks (maybe just a rear rack; been a while since I've seen one). I had a Scrambler for years. Loved it. I think it had a small rear rack. Just big enough for the smaller "6 pack" Igloo cooler. 2 stroke, on demand 4x4, nimble.

Dameon

BAMF+
There's bleed as folks want all in one machine & some manufacturers try to provide the best of both worlds
Yeah, I've seen some of the recent crop of utility ATV's... lots of suspension travel, IRS and massive v-twins. Except for clearing the doubles on an MX track, likely as capable as any 2000-era sport.

wormser77

BAMF
I had a chance to rip a can am renegade 800 around for an hour, very impressive machines.
I bet the new 1000 would be psycho!

r1racer

BAMF
I had a chance to rip a can am renegade 800 around for an hour, very impressive machines.
I bet the new 1000 would be psycho!
imho Polaris and Can Am make the fastest, smoothest, most modern and fun atv machines in the industry. The comparable Japanese models tend to be somewhat dated though arguably more reliable. Both have substantial after market support and development. I'd stay clear of the chinese atv's sans maybe the cf-moto models due to limited reliability, performance, parts availability and little aftermarket support.

Last edited:
OP
braindead_organdonor
A true sport quad should be 2wd, have a manual clutch and foot shifted 5 or 6 speed, chain drive, 3 disc brakes all hydraulic, and lots of suspension travel.

Of course they have deviated far from this in the modern world.

Top Bottom