I did not think there was a market for DIY tire changers...

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
then I learned of this...
TIRXMOTO Tire Changer
$500 for this contraption? Not only no.. but hell facking no!

Holy fuck balls.

For about $100 you could kick the shit out of this machine and do a couple tires in under an hour...
(1) of these
(4) of these
(1) of these
(1) of these

some rubber coin or gym mat flooring...

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
There are two shops within ten minutes of me.
The days of $20-$25 per-wheel tire changes are long gone around here.
Especially if you're buying the tire from somebody else, like an online reseller.
I still have one shop run by an ex-WERA racer who I can take my wheels to.
But I'm liking the OP. It's about time I look into doing my own tire changes.

I've got air....are there any cheap air setups?
Nahh, probably not.

Last edited:
OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Getting tires mounted and balanced has always been somewhat of a hassle for me. I've looked into a couple different models from no mar, but they seem a bit pricey for what they are, and take up some space.

I bought the pro model when it was $1200 shipped... came with shit Ive never used or will. I used to sell my takeoffs to street riders... once I unloaded all the leftovers I stopped offering.
Did a few harley and cruiser tires... bunch of dirtbike ones too. Could do f & r on most sportbikes in a hour including balancing.
Sold a bunch of angled valve stems too. Funny no local shop had the stock of trinkets I did.

OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I've got air....are there any cheap air setups?
Nahh, probably not.
Greg Smith for $950ish to a local loading dock. Residential liftgate delivery add $250
otherwise the nomar is pretty solid for the cost. Used ones dont sell for much less than new. The delrin holders are awesome and no way of tacoing a rim vs a pnuematic. Well you can bend a bead trying to pry.

Bandit Man

BAMF
Its been C clamp and irons for me for a long time. Working at a shop helped but when that went away I got a HF bead breaker and back to the irons. Nothing I had had shitty wheels so I didnt worry about scratches but if your careful and use rim protectors they stay looking minty.

I had went to a IMS years ago when nomar was there. They were giving away machines if you could beat their guy. I beat him and they back pedaled and gave up no machine. I think Gar bought one that year in partnership with another member here

Last edited:

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I bought the pro model when it was $1200 shipped... came with shit Ive never used or will. I used to sell my takeoffs to street riders... once I unloaded all the leftovers I stopped offering.
Did a few harley and cruiser tires... bunch of dirtbike ones too. Could do f & r on most sportbikes in a hour including balancing.
Sold a bunch of angled valve stems too. Funny no local shop had the stock of trinkets I did.
Sounds like you got some good use out of it 👍. I've looked at them several times, it seems they are pretty solid. Back in the day Big Mike and I thought about going in a decent setup together because we were going through tires like crazy. Even then it was a headache getting a shop to do it for a reasonable cost, or doing it all. Oh you didn't buy the tires here sonny boy? NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!! 😀

OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I had went to a IMS years ago when nomar was there. They were giving away machines if you could beat their guy. I beat him and they back pedaled and gave up no machine. I think Gar bought one that year in partnership with another member here
tall guy? might have been Probst... if you only knew...lol

OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I should advertise tyre changes. If I could make $25.00 a pop for street tyres, I'd do them all day.
I have a real machine, so, no sweat. Gonna use it to put tyres on the wife's car once I can bend over and do shit again.
handing the wheel...sure.
Removal adds an automatic $50. But on the value side I have precise axle measuring tools

OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
There are still a lot if shops going under and selling equipment. The little manual Coates is a good machine and a cheaper option than the motorized units.
not here... people were paying close to retail on equipment that was used/abused. Got my lift from hunter... just as good as a handy and came with atv ext.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
handing the wheel...sure.
Removal adds an automatic $50. But on the value side I have precise axle measuring tools
Ever removed the rear wheel on a Harley with a one piece rear brake caliper? It is a $100.00 worth of aggravation.
Matter of fact, a lot of them, no matter the brand, are a pain in the ass to remove.

OP
Terry_Schiavo

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I'd like to try it. NoMar is way more of a pain to adjust than that wall mounted dealio.
you crazy... if youre only doing 17s the nomar is a cinch. While youre messing around with that wall pinwheel... you could have dismounted 2 tires...lol

Master-Cylinder

Or a Yamaha Vstar where the finaldrive has to come off with the wheel.
Yep, the first few years of those I would pull the nose off the final drive and grease the splines in them because we had so many that had rusted away. Then I write the date and mileage on the inner side of the housing so I wouldn't take it apart again in a year.
The best ones are when the spider stays stuck to the final drive splines and you have to fight the fucker apart for 30 minutes.

The big Polaris fake Indian where you had to remove the lower shock bolt to let the wheel drop far enough down to get the axle out.

Its been C clamp and irons for me for a long time. Working at a shop helped but when that went away I got a HF bead breaker and back to the irons. Nothing I had had shitty wheels so I didnt worry about scratches but if your careful and use rim protectors they stay looking minty.

Same here, modified C clamps, tire irons and motion pro plastic rim protectors for me. Had a early HF bead breaker, I broke it and have used C clamp method since. Got it down to a science now, no damage and pretty damn quick. Local shop wanted to charge my friend $50 per wheel if he carried them in. He rode over and we had them mounted, balanced, and reinstalled in about two hours and two beers.

Master-Cylinder

Years ago, I made an adapter that allowed me to use a real tyre machine on those tink little dyrt bike wheels/tyres. I made it because the hardest part of those tiny wheels is holding them. Most would come in with the stem torn out and the tube caught between the tyre bead and rim. When that happens they are a bitch to get off.

chuck356

BAMF
Years ago, I made an adapter that allowed me to use a real tyre machine on those tink little dyrt bike wheels/tyres. I made it because the hardest part of those tiny wheels is holding them. Most would come in with the stem torn out and the tube caught between the tyre bead and rim. When that happens they are a bitch to get off.
Nothing send fear through the shop like a 10" or 12" dirtbike tire! We did so many 12's as KLX110's and a million pit bikes used them.

Top Bottom