How's Sears doin'?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
And most malls.

Stay current or die. It isn't just a marketing phrase.
The parking lot of the mall near the junkyard is pretty full everyday! It has to be one of the most successful malls in the country. Our local Sears was not in it, it (Sears) is in the old part of town where no one goes. It has already closed.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
In 2144, there might well be a bunch of old fogies lamenting Amazon.
" They were everywhere, everyone used them for everything."

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Jeff Bezos himself said pretty much the same thing, but his time horizon was a lot earlier than 2144
If there's one thing Sears 'proved', it's that corporate executives are more insulated and clueless than we mere mortals.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Sears hasn't been relevant in like 40 years.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
"Amazon is not too big to fail ... In fact, I predict one day Amazon will fail," Bezos reportedly said when addressing a question about Sears recently going bankrupt. "Amazon will go bankrupt. If you look at large companies, their lifespans tend to be 30-plus years, not a hundred-plus years."

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
Speaking of 100+ year old companies, the one I'm watching carefully is my old stomping grounds, GE, which is on the ropes.

Sears will see 50,000 people lose their jobs. GE would be way bigger and far more symbolic

Austin_F

BAMF+
Too bad. I still have their original set of red black handled 'pro' screwdrivers. They'll bust loose shit my matco set can't.

My sump is a craftsman stainless unit as well.

BigHock

BAMF
β€˜F’ Sears! I was fresh out of school, and my refrigerator took a shit. Those assholes declined my application for a credit card. I swore right then and there, I will never buy a thing from Sears ( besides some tools and car batteries) ever!

Well look who’s won! Shoulda approved my app Sears :fu:

busa10

BAMF
When their quality went away they were doomed. Thinking back I've returned two screen doors, car batteries, a furnace humidifier, tools of course, a kitchen faucet, plus I dragged their "best" water heater through the store when they refused a refund. It was actually the second one that failed and because they replaced the first one that failed, they didn't think they owed me anything. They gave me my money back.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
A post too soon, the bankruptcy judge accepted a last minute deal from a hedge fund that could rescue Sears from liquidation. :girl-wacko:

Was it Chairman Lamperts' hedge fund, I don't have details yet.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
From CNN-
Lampert's $4.4 billion offer does not complete the sale, but rather starts an auction that is due to be completed on January 14. It is still possible that those wishing to shutdown the company will bid more for the assets than Lampert is offering.

Stay tuned, capitalist pigs gathering at the trough! :bacon:

I called customer service to get warranty work done on my mower awhile back , after an epic struggle with the automated phone voice I get a person , she tried to sell me windows and siding πŸ‘ŽπŸΌπŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
This is an example of where accounting falls short. The offers for the assets of Sears from the hedge fund and the other offers count the employees of Sears, from the executives to the toilet cleaners, at zero. $0. Nada. Shit. No measurable value to the enterprise whatsoever.

How do you think wherever you work values you? :rotfl:

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
This is an example of where accounting falls short. The offers for the assets of Sears from the hedge fund and the other offers count the employees of Sears, from the executives to the toilet cleaners, at zero. $0. Nada. Shit. No measurable value to the enterprise whatsoever.

When everyone is replaceable, why would it work any other way?

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
When everyone is replaceable, why would it work any other way?
The buildings are replaceable. The land they sit on can be replaced with a other location. The inventory is replaced constantly. Those are assets, counted in dollars.

It costs companies money to replace employees, executives or toilet scrubbers. Yet accounting values them at zero.

Stetson

BAMF

When I bought my business, they wouldn't let me buy the current employees. I think there's a law against that now. :ducmanic:

Employees are certainly "assets" to a company, but not by the accounting definition. Employees aren't mentioned on the balance sheet as an asset, like a truck, building or bank account. Accounting values them at zero because they can walk out the door any time they want to.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Employees can walk out. When one does, what does it cost to replace it?
Your own time, postage, phone, internet, etc?
The cost of a company's human resource department?
Executive search firms aren't cheap to use.

As I stated, it's a failure of accounting, just as the costs of adding carbon to the atmosphere, and costs of the other poisons from burning brown fuels are not counted in the cost of use.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
Probably doesn't cost anything in the long game since the replacement will outperform the original once he takes all his dead baggage and prejudices

Another observations, I've led 2 tech restructures. Trust me, when you cut a group by 30 to 50 percent, those left over triple their performance :smile2: The talk is always "Why didn't we do this sooner?"

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I bought a lot of tools and built fet stuff with them... but the quality yearcaftervyear has long left their tool lines. I never purchased anything else but tools and lawn mowers from them ..walked right past their electronics and clothing areas because there was always a better deal elsewhere. Sears became a Walmart of low end class of people and I stopped going there altogether around 4 years ago. I can see why they closed

Employees can walk out. When one does, what does it cost to replace it?
When you walk into the appliance department ready to drop a couple grand and the SEARS dumbfuck is leaning against a washing machine and is too busy hitting on the girl from two departments over to even notice you, well eventually you leave and spend your money elsewhere. That guy is easy to replace, and has no value.

Same for the dipshit in the tool department who doesn't know what a combination wrench is, and couldn't care less if you find what you're looking for.

Same for the fuckhead who saved the company a few bucks in the short run by coming up with a one-size-fits-all replacement filter for the shop vacs. It doesn't fit any of them, and randomly falls off when you least expect it... making your Sears shop vac investment suddenly worthless... like SEARS.

OP
OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
Some companies think they'll last forever...

View attachment 15463
Some blockbuster history...

The CEO presented a plan to the board to transform Blockbuster into a subscription model, citing the growing threat of Netflix.

The board rejected the proposal on the grounds they didn't want the company to sacrifice the 12% of their revenue derived from late fees.

Narrow tunnel vision, the rest is history.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Kind of a bummer to see them go.

I recall many a rainy day looking through the Sears catalog and/or the Wish Book.

We only had a catalog order store in town and had to go to the big city a hundred miles away, to get things the same day.

I almost always bought my tires there.

Master-Cylinder

There some Sears houses still standing in town here. I believe they are historically protected.

Stetson

BAMF
I almost always bought my tires there.
I had a 2 year old, '94 Taurus SHO way back when. I went to Sears to buy tires. I was replacing them with the same OEM (Goodyear Eagles?) tire that it came with. I had never owned anything with 16", Z-rated tires before. Guy behind the counter quoted me $225 each ($367 in 2018 dollars) and I almost shit myself right there, as I needed all four to pass the State inspection.. I stammered out how surprised I was, since Tire Rack (print ad, in Car & Driver) wanted $98 each. He said they match the tire rack prices, and pulled his own magazine out from under the counter to look up the price. Sure enough, $98. The transaction really pissed me off, though, knowing how much I would have overpaid had I not researched beforehand.

Conversely, when we renovated our last house a ten years ago, we went up to the same Sears to look around, as I was going to be buying a washer, dryer, dishwasher, gas stove and big refrigerator. When I told the sales lady that we were just looking that day and not buying, she went and looked through some folders behind a counter, and told me when the next big sale was coming. Also got me to sign up for a Sears credit card which saved another 25%. She said she worked on straight commission, gave me her cell phone number and told me she'd come in on her day off to get the sale. When we went back to buy it all later, I'm pretty sure I could have got the sales lady to blow me in the parking lot, she was so excited. I saved a shitload, 3 or 4 grand, I think. Paid the CC bill off when I got it. So that was a positive Sears story.

I have a set of Craftsman barbecue tools I got years ago. They have the same, signature handles as their screwdrivers, but the phrase "Not Guaranteed Forever" is etched into them in tiny letters. :bigsmile:

High prices, or the illusion of will kill ya. They had decent clothes and stuff, but that's not hard to find. Their tools went to the way of overly priced crap. All their mowers, weedeaters, power tools, etc. are nothing special, all shamelessly rebranded. Furniture department??? Who goes there? Good appliances though, like someone said. Probably rebranded but at least you could get deals on em.

I had a 95 SHO in green..

Wife told me we were pregnant with our second so I ran out and bought a badass 4 door ...

Drove it 125,000 miles and traded it for an SSE when it started wetting down the O2 sensor on the reg...

Loved that car 😎

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
Small world
Had a β€˜92 stick SHO
1FALP54Y4NA210856
Was the VIN (I’m a bit autistic)
At about 80 or 90,000 I have the engine re-done stock was 3 L I had it bored out to 3.2 L high compression highlift cams head work extrude Honed everything it was red lined at 9 and something thousand RPM when the stocker was 7K and that was way unusual for then. 300hp on the dyno.

Ended up just exactly As fast as a generation or two later 535 BMW and a later 2000’s Honda S 2000.

Way too much torque steer.

Body fell apart basically and since it was really supposed to run on the race gas and/or octane booster and would knock like a motherfucker without it I ended up giving it away at about 130,000 miles to my brother-in-law.

Fun car. Got it going 130+ in Utah On the highway at night I mean it took a long time to get to an indicated 130 or so and I remember I had some undulations on the road and the front end lifted and floated for a while. Fuuuuuck

Master-Cylinder

Sears sent me a letter last month telling me I had to use my Sears card to up my limit. I sent them back a letter informing them they were closing my store and the card would never be used again. Idiots!

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
When their quality went away they were doomed. Thinking back I've returned two screen doors, car batteries, a furnace humidifier, tools of course, a kitchen faucet, plus I dragged their "best" water heater through the store when they refused a refund. It was actually the second one that failed and because they replaced the first one that failed, they didn't think they owed me anything. They gave me my money back.
More white privilege! Sears made billions off the backs of black folk!

Master-Cylinder

Oh, by the way, JC Penny stock is under a buck. They're probably next.

Back in the day, I had a Sears card, Penny's card and a Monkey Wards card. Yeah, I was a player. :ducmanic:

Master-Cylinder

Its 2019... you had a Sears card in 2018? Did you buy a time machine with it?
No chuckle head, I bought a stove, fridge and dishwasher, had to get the card to get free delivery. I would have bought the shit at lowes but absolutely every appliance I've ever purchased at Lowes has been damaged.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
No chuckle head, I bought a stove, fridge and dishwasher, had to get the card to get free delivery. I would have bought the shit at lowes but absolutely every appliance I've ever purchased at Lowes has been damaged.
So I just did this with Home Depot. They dont do "scratch & dent" or "cosmetically challenged". Bought a $1200 washer for 1/2 price... because it was the last of the 2018 models. The local sears outlet wasnt touching that deal. Lowes...forget it. Apparently Sears just plugged any old sales person in hence the "deals". In big box orgs... you must be "certified" to sell appliances.
The price is the price unless marked down. Even though the guy that "sold me" wasnt certified. :rolleyes: Another fella got the credit for the sale... one that ignored me earlier.

Top Bottom