How's Fry's doing?

I figured that was going to happen, might have to stop by some of these stores around here if they still open to get some going out of business sales stuff.

Just checked looks like there all locked up and closed, I hate Best Buy

rumble phish

BAMF+
I'm surprised they lasted this long. The irony of a tech superstore not keeping up with the very technology that they sold hardware for is thick. I bought a lot of stuff from them in the late 90's and early 2000's. And then around 2003 or so I started buying the vast majority of my PC hardware online and never looked back. To add to that, I'd say a good 20% of the shit I bought from Fry's was returned/refurbished and about 10% of what I bought was either returned or thrown out because it didn't work. I never did get a really smokin' deal from there.

But still, sad to see them close their doors. I wouldn't chalk this up solely to the pandemic, as it seems places like Best Buy are doing fairly well (at least the one near me, which always seems packed) but it surely didn't help. I passed through Fremont, CA not too long ago and drove by the Fry's there. There were only 4 cars ion the entire parking lot. Figured they had to be closed, but their website said they were open. Didn't go in, but thought to myself "They ain't gonna make it".

Think I'll follow CSJ's lead and check out some of the deals (if any) before they lock the doors forever.

*EDIT* - Too late. They're already in the ground.

Fry's Electronics announced on its website it has shut down operations and closed all 31 of its stores after 36 years, citing "changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic."

Austin_F

BAMF+
I had them ship a few things over the years. If you signed up to their email newsletter they would send codes that took quite a bit of money off stuff.

Last thing I bought, a few years ago was a samsung color laser printer/scanner/copier. Not just the model you lift the lid to make copies, but it also has the paper feeder on top so you can throw a stack on and hit go.

The toners are dirt cheap on ebay and work as well as the originals. I haven't had any problems with it and with the fry's code it was only $99, shipped for free.

That was back when the color lasers were still quite a bit of money. Fry's was giving those away basically.

Last edited:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
They never could figure out how to make a decent website.
Should have followed the Best Buy model.
Though, the Best Buy website is only "slightly passable" in my opinion.... while the Fry's website flat out sucked, was stuck in the year 2010 mode.

My first Fry's adventure was the one in Canoga Park. They had the alice in wonderland theme. That was bizarre I thought, but the rest of the place was amazing at that time.

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
They never could figure out how to make a decent website.
Should have followed the Best Buy model.
Though, the Best Buy website is only "slightly passable" in my opinion.... while the Fry's website flat out sucked, was stuck in the year 2010 mode.

My first Fry's adventure was the one in Canoga Park. They had the alice in wonderland theme. That was bizarre I thought, but the rest of the place was amazing at that time.
I miss the one on Canoga. They always had some smoking Blu-ray deal going or sale on hard drives. Even sold Pelican cases. The one in Burbank was trash though.

A23

BAMF+
I miss the one on Canoga. They always had some smoking Blu-ray deal going or sale on hard drives. Even sold Pelican cases. The one in Burbank was trash though.
I drove by the Burbank location the other day and took note of the big empty parking lot.
I bought lots of stuff there...ate many snacks in the check-out line...:biggrin1a:

Brokenfly

HOLYBAMF
bought a few parts from them locally but i like microcenter better around here.
they surely couldn't survive the coming 15 dollar wage scale since they had a bunch of students employed there.

Bandit Man

BAMF
I went to the Burbank store awhile back and all the shelves were empty. I heard the sucking wind sound as I was leaving empty handed.

Used to go to the Canoga store to get supplys all the time. Joe Rogans studio was directly behind it so I never even had to drive there while I was working.

Rocco

BAM
I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Fry's Phoenix box store had sucked for the last few years. Early on they stood out with the volume and the quality of stock they kept on the floor. They had some impressive sales every week. Then a few years back, the service attitude went sour. That was followed by the inventory going south too. I can't remember exactly right now, but I think Fry's had a change of ownership ( via stock acquisitions ) a few years ago and possibly that had something to do with changes, I stopped going there about 5 years ago.

-

Stetson

BAMF+
I remember that feeling I got when I went to Radio Shack last summer, same one I've been going to for 20 years, only to see empty windows and the faded "radio shack" where they'd removed the letters from the store front. :frown2:

Catalogs and online ordering is nice and all, if you know what you want. But if your trying to fix an immediate situation, it's nice to stand in front of the wall of parts to cobble together what you need.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I remember that feeling I got when I went to Radio Shack last summer, same one I've been going to for 20 years, only to see empty windows and the faded "radio shack" where they'd removed the letters from the store front. :frown2:
Catalogs and online ordering is nice and all, if you know what you want. But if your trying to fix an immediate situation, it's nice to stand in front of the wall of parts to cobble together what you need.
my favorite gag at a radio shack was to set all the alarm clocks, on the wall, to go off about 20 minutes after we left.

Aqualung

BAMF
Growing up in Northern California in the sixties Frys was known a a grocery store. Went many times with my mom to the one in Campbell. Then in the eighties saw my first electronics Frys in Fountain Valley SoCal. Was a bit confused as the logo was the same as the grocery store. Found out later Frys electronics was started by the son's of the grocery owner.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Fry's story has some tragedy to it, if you watch Futurama as an adult.

one is, his beloved devoted dog spent years, day and night, rain, shine, snow, laying on the curb outside the pizzeria Fry worked at waiting for him to come back. Died of old age waiting for him.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com

I still miss Rat Shack... good thing there is still "You do it Electronics" back in Needham Ma.

ABOUT US

WHY BUY FROM US?
At "You Do it" Electronics Center we are a long established electronics specialty firm serving the industry since 1949. We have many products on display throughout two huge showrooms jam packed with the latest in name brand audio, video and electronic accessories like nowhere else! Our buying power gives you better prices without sacrificing quality. You'll get professional service from our knowledgeable staff. Our company has served millions of satisfied customers! Whether you are a dealer, government agency, state, city town, school or consumer...

• Red
Reactions: Red

rumble phish

BAMF+
my favorite gag at a radio shack was to set all the alarm clocks, on the wall, to go off about 20 minutes after we left.
:lol: When they started getting PC's in we'd hang out at our local RS playing on it almost all day. Saved us a bunch of quarters. The Manager tried to limit us to 10 min each, but that never worked. He let up and gave us nearly free reign because we'd talk to his customers about the computers (TRS 80 Color Computer I think it was). I think we sold more computers for him than his own staff! We stopped hanging out there when we got our own computers (I got a Commodore Vic-20 and my friend got a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A)

In the early 90's we'd fuck around at Sears and Monkey Wards by setting Admin passwords on the display computers, or running a BASIC script that printed "FUCK YOU" or "SEARS SUCKS!" across the screen repeatedly. Yeah, juvenile, but who cares?! hey, fuck you! :lol:

We used to have a Radio Shack and a Sharper Image store in our mall. The only reason I would ever go was to hang out in those stores.
Those two, Walden's Books and watching the girls at "Hot Dog on a Stick" make the lemonade :up: :eyepopping1a::inlove1a:

Website
cs.com

What's more unbelievable is there was a radio shack actually open last summer. They've been long gone.

Website
cs.com
:lol: When they started getting PC's in we'd hang out at our local RS playing on it almost all day. Saved us a bunch of quarters. The Manager tried to limit us to 10 min each, but that never worked. He let up and gave us nearly free reign because we'd talk to his customers about the computers (TRS 80 Color Computer I think it was). I think we sold more computers for him than his own staff! We stopped hanging out there when we got our own computers (I got a Commodore Vic-20 and my friend got a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A)

In the early 90's we'd fuck around at Sears and Monkey Wards by setting Admin passwords on the display computers, or running a BASIC script that printed "FUCK YOU" or "SEARS SUCKS!" across the screen repeatedly. Yeah, juvenile, but who cares?! hey, fuck you! :lol:

Those two, Walden's Books and watching the girls at "Hot Dog on a Stick" make the lemonade :up: :eyepopping1a::inlove1a:
GOTCHA!!! I'm an investigator for Sears and we are pressing charges immediately against you. We've been looking for You for years!!! The statute of limitations for that crime is 30 years. You self incriminated yourself. Your gonna be sleeping with Bubba for the next 10 years. This will teach you to putting obscene language on our screens. You're the sole reason we went out of business. you offended our customers😉. Now what's your address so we can get this certified letter out to ya?😎

Bandit Man

BAMF

I went to Best Buy with someone years ago and he formatted all the hard drives on the displays.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. I used to work selling VCRs, big-screen rear-projection TVs, and camcorders (VHS, VHS-C, and 8mm) for this guy:

• Red

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Crazy Eddie Antar
Yup- what a scammer that guy was. :biggrin1a: When he liquidated his share of the business (which was circling the drain) ~1989, he somehow convinced the guys that bought his stock options that he had something like $100mil+ in product in the various stockrooms- the dummies believed him and didn't do a physical inventory until after they paid, after which they found out they'd been screwed by something like $80mil (which was fine with me- the new guys changed the locks in the middle of the night and didn't let any of us know we were out of a job until we showed up for work that morning- assholes). Eddie Antar bailed to Israel with their money- he was eventually extradited and did several years for tax fraud- he died about five years ago.

I was the top salesman at the Syosset store for over a year- I could really sling that crappy Sharp and Fisher shit out of the video department. :wink2:

• Red

Vegas12

BAMF+
GOTCHA!!! I'm an investigator for Sears and we are pressing charges immediately against you. We've been looking for You for years!!! The statute of limitations for that crime is 30 years. You self incriminated yourself. Your gonna be sleeping with Bubba for the next 10 years. This will teach you to putting obscene language on our screens. You're the sole reason we went out of business. you offended our customers😉. Now what's your address so we can get this certified letter out to ya?😎

Did your wrist ever heal after accusing that poor guy of shoplifting??

Top Bottom