How many people here are college educated?

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I have a BA in English Language and Literature- I was considering pursuing an advanced degree and becoming a professor, or possibly going to law school. I decided to take a year off and spend some time in Japan to figure it out- I ended up staying eight years, and that was the end of those plans. :biggrin1a:
I would say you continued your education in a different way. You are one of the smartest people I know.

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I graduated from our local community college back in 1983 with an associate's degree in mechanical technology. My intent was to go on to school for engineering, but I was fucking sick of going to school. It took me an extra year to finish the degree, but I stuck it out and got my piece of paper that is pretty much worthless.
Did you benefit from the experience? Maybe indirectly?

I graduated from our local community college back in 1983 with an associate's degree in mechanical technology. My intent was to go on to school for engineering, but I was fucking sick of going to school. It took me an extra year to finish the degree, but I stuck it out and got my piece of paper that is pretty much worthless.
Sounds like we have a similar education. My piece of paper got my foot in the door as it was required for the job at the time. Timing and opportunity. I graduated in 1999 in the Charlotte area.

llord2

BAM
Nuclear Engineer....finished in the '90s using credits built up in Nuclear Navy. It was a total pain in the dick hole and didn't really advance my career. I was already maxed out in my then job in the amount of daily BS I could deal with without going fuckin postal. Company paid for it. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have burned my valuable youth in pursuit. Means nothing to me now.

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Nuclear Engineer....finished in the '90s using credits built up in Nuclear Navy. It was a total pain in the dick hole and didn't really advance my career. I was already maxed out in my then job in the amount of daily BS I could deal with without going fuckin postal. Company paid for it. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have burned my valuable youth in pursuit. Means nothing to me now.
I was a day or so away from committing to 6 years in the Navy, also related to a nuclear program. It would have been 6 months on a sub, 6 months off. I backed off at decision time. They were relentless for a short time after that, but it abruptly stopped.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
If one of the questions being asked here is, 'Was your degree useful?', mine indeed was. I wouldn't have been able to get a job in Japan without one (the fact mine is in English counted for a lot when I got hired by the Tokyo municipality to teach at a public JHS, but a degree in any field would have been fine for most 'language school' positions, which was the first job I had there)- had I not gotten a degree (in something- I just needed to show that sheepskin) there's no way I'd be where I am now- that doesn't mean circumstances would be better or worse for me, but they without a doubt would have been different,

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
If one of the questions being asked here is, 'Was your degree useful?',
Interesting take...

I was one of the few STEM grads that actually did textbook work in my first job for about 5 years and wouldn't have gotten that job at GE Nuclear without my degree. Most others STEM grads went on to do an MBA or some kind of jackoff bullshit stuff like that

After that job, it was less and less textbook and more and more gut feeling

I guess another question is 'Was it worth it?'

The most important thing to do while in school is make connections. A place like Harvard isn't a highly prized school for the course material so much as it is for the peers that will be around you + the opportunity to get close to that one cat who is gonna move the needle and ride his or her coattails to fame and fortune...like Ranger at MIT

I didn't know any of this back then and wish I did

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I guess another question is 'Was it worth it?'
For me, even if my degree had proved to be completely useless after finishing school, I'd still say, 'Yes'.

I loved college and had great professors who challenged me and taught me a lot, and I was fortunate not to have to take out loans or make sacrifices to attend. I don't see an issue with education strictly for education's sake (or at least I didn't then). Now, with tuition rates having shot off into the stratosphere, that attitude has become way less affordable. Education shouldn't be a 'luxury' or a bastion of the wealthy.

Website
www.bobbywarns.com
I finished up my bachelors in October of this year...It's extremely easy to fly through Geopolitics and international relations when I spent the last 25 years in the intelligence community living abroad. My last 10 years prior to retirement was spent between Southwest and east Asia - which led to 6 figures on its own merit. I got the degree to essentially thumb my nose at siblings since I didn't necessarily need it - but to gain any traction outside of the military and defense contracting, the private sector seems to look at schooling a bit closer vice experience, unfortunately.

RollieFree

BAMF
I have a mechanical engineering technology degree. I wasn’t a great student. I did OK but I also worked an 11-7 night job and went to school full time on my own dime. Never took a summer off. Finished in 3 years.
It can’t say I couldn’t have done everything I have done without it. I will say I would have never gotten the opportunities I have without it. It was most useful in getting the “foot in the door” I wouldn’t have gotten without it…although I was never asked to produce proof that I actually had the degree.
I have learned far more by working my ass off being passionate about what I was chasing and seeking knowledge anywhere I smelled it. I never gravy trained a job looking for the eventual easy street. I like what I do now but make half of what I did in the office and work quite hard. I’m still chasing the dream. I find that’s what matters most, yields the most growth and keeps my intensity up. I know Tinny is laughing because he is just the opposite and is living the average man’s dream enjoying laughing at those of us who actually produce something valuable. Guess what?.. I never gave a fuck what anyone else thought about how I spent my life and I still don’t.
RF

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
View attachment 87070

The degree helped me see the beauty of existence.
What the molly fuck is that all about? Sounds like someone took "eat shit and die" too seriously. I mean, people like this actually exist? How is that bodily fluids chick still alive? You need an extensive education to understand this kinda stuff. 😮

tinhead

Has never named a pet
What the molly fuck is that all about? Sounds like someone took "eat shit and die" too seriously. I mean, people like this actually exist? How is that bodily fluids chick still alive? You need an extensive education to understand this kinda stuff. 😮
There are assholes who say Dani Pedrosa is a wonderful human being.
The hallucinogenic misinterpretation of the christian ethic is spreading; Forgive Everything.

Fuk that, some motherfuckers deserve decades long drawn out death throes.

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
BS in Economics 1985
Your MCN article on oils is still one of the best ever. How much did your degree help to get you there, as well as where you're at now? My observations have been that you're highly respected wherever and whatever "arena" you're in at the time.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Bachelors degree, pre-law. I went to sea instead of law school. It was a good decision, for me. I've had a great life running boats. Hardships and good times. Starve and feast. But success or failure, the decisions were mine to make.

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Bachelors degree, pre-law. I went to sea instead of law school. It was a good decision, for me. I've had a great life running boats. Hardships and good times. Starve and feast. But success or failure, the decisions were mine to make.
One thing I've noticed about you is that you're very well read. The pre-law makes sense.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
High school graduate here. Amazed I made it through that. Spent a lot of time with my head on the desk. I’m the slacker in my immediate family and still earning more than others

Wife is three degreed running a corp and happy but mid wage earner

Oldest daughter slayed the LSATs and has two full ride offers to mid level law schools. She is waiting for a bigger badder offer as was said earlier it is about the connections, not the learning

Youngest daughter is in nursing school. Tried to talk her out of it but she is dead set that she loves the field. She has been in a Covid unit in one way or the other since it started. She is crazy lol

I don’t think they are my kids. They are too intelligent and amaze me every day

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
If I were in high school right now, I’d be taking a hard look at the trades, work that is highly localized and the time to automation is still decades away
I’m not team Mike Rowe

Encouraging someone to slave away for a small to medium sized business owner is just that, slaving away. If you will be happy with 3 weeks off a year and shitty maybe cost of living raises then sure a trade may be for you

As I age I understand more and more that money isn’t the focus. Time spent with my family and friends is what is important

Fuck breaking your back so the owner can get another badass car or plane. Fuck. That.

RollieFree

BAMF
I’m not team Mike Rowe

Encouraging someone to slave away for a small to medium sized business owner is just that, slaving away. If you will be happy with 3 weeks off a year and shitty maybe cost of living raises then sure a trade may be for you

As I age I understand more and more that money isn’t the focus. Time spent with my family and friends is what is important

Fuck breaking your back so the owner can get another badass car or plane. Fuck. That.
Even if you have a much better gig, you’re still doing the same thing enrichening the boss. You shoulda seen my old boss’ digs. I’ll see if I can post some pics. Full regulation NCAA basketball court in his house with official hanging scoreboard, locker rooms and the rest. A fire fountain in the driveway with water shooting up 100 feet along with natural gas burning in the water. Full sized hand carved marble rhinos, giraffes, elephants all inside the house…and a gigantic rock in the entry 2 stories high that he shipped home from Italy. Dude is a money obsessed maniac. He makes some fucking money though. He paid me double what I was making to get me to jump ship.
RF

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Even if you have a much better gig, you’re still doing the same thing enrichening the boss. You shoulda seen my old boss’ digs. I’ll see if I can post some pics. Full regulation NCAA basketball court in his house with official hanging scoreboard, locker rooms and the rest. A fire fountain in the driveway with water shooting up 100 feet along with natural gas burning in the water. Full sized hand carved marble rhinos, giraffes, elephants all inside the house…and a gigantic rock in the entry 2 stories high that he shipped home from Italy. Dude is a money obsessed maniac. He makes some fucking money though. He paid me double what I was making to get me to jump ship.
RF
Pablo Escobar?

OP
GSXRTURBO1

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I barely made it thru high school, I hated studying.
Same really. I failed a mandatory class, had to take summer school to be considered a high school graduate. I don't think I took a book home or did homework my last 2 years of high school.

Top Bottom