How do you know if it's time for your dogs last ride to the vet?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
My beautiful girl is just a few weeks short of being 15 years old. About the first of January she was diagnosed with some sort of tumor on her spine. Monday was the last day she was able to walk. She tried to case a rabbit, and that was it.
Now what do I do? I'm dying here, god damn I lobe that dog!
She doesn't seem to be in pain, just can no longer walk. Fuck!
Of course being part Golden Retriever and Lab means she covered in lumps and bumps.
Fuck man, I'm dying here.
How am I to be sure it's not too soon? :sad:

Those of you with healthy dogs, love the shit out of them!

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
When Mojo (my beloved golden retriever) couldn't walk anymore, I knew it was time.

I'm sorry for what you're going through- it's the worst feeling in the world. You'll make the right decision.

She probably can't walk because of the pain. Doesn't sound like there's a lot you can do for her, especially at that age.
If that's the case, you owe it to her to end the suffering. Sorry for both her and your situations. It's tough as hell.

I`m so sorry for you. Been there several times, always ripped my heart out. Have you talked to your vet about any/all options? If there is a veterinary college near you they could possibly help. I hope you can get some more time together, you`ll know when it`s time..your dog, she will understand.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Had her to the vet three weeks ago when she started to limp badly. She's been on pain medications for the last three weeks. Except for the fact she can no longer use her rear legs, she look fine for an old dog. Seems to be in a good mood.
I'm hoping for a miracle or to just come out in the morning and she passed on.
We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. Fuck! :frown:

I did the bullet to the head with one of my dogs, I never want to do that again! :frown::frown::frown:

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that's the right thing...you may have your fears but the vet can give you advise on how to call it...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Do right by her and yourself.
We all know it sucks.
Treat her with some good eats, just hang with her, keep an upbeat mood as they can read us very well.
You being upset won't make it easy on her besides there will be plenty of time to grieve after she's gone.

Sharing your/her story here will help but, it'll still suck too.

Sad you or any of us has to go through this.
If it didn't hurt so much, it would mean the love and care wasn't there...
...but, we know different.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
IF pain is not there. Then go the rear wheel option.. while not cheap it isn't bank breaking either. But if pain IS the issue the dog is not moving then simply.. it's time. It truely is one of the Hardest things a person has to do loving an animal and making the decision to let them go to a place of rest and no pain.. pain really sucks.

How I handle it is I consult with two veterinarians that I trust with my dogs and luckily are also friends. If we cant keep the dog pain free then it's time to say our good byes.. never easy and hate saying it because I have done it more times then most.. it never gets easier.. in fact with each one that passes my soul it gets harder ..

I wish you peace in this decision.

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
I did the bullet to the head with one of my dogs, I never want to do that again!
It goes behind an ear, straight across no angle up or down.

When it's time, you'll know. If you don't know, it isn't time yet.

Wifey was thinking of taking fat blak 17 year old cat for The Big Shot last week.
He doesn't seem happy.
He goes in and outside, loves getting brushed, eats and drinks normally, wtf?
He's not what he was.
Neither are you!
The subject hasn't come up since.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

IF pain is not there. Then go the rear wheel option.. while not cheap it isn't bank breaking either. But if pain IS the issue the dog is not moving then simply.. it's time. It truely is one of the Hardest things a person has to do loving an animal and making the decision to let them go to a place of rest and no pain.. pain really sucks.

How I handle it is I consult with two veterinarians that I trust with my dogs and luckily are also friends. If we cant keep the dog pain free then it's time to say our good byes.. never easy and hate saying it because I have done it more times then most.. it never gets easier.. in fact with each one that passes my soul it gets harder ..

I wish you peace in this decision.
As far as I can tell, she's not in pain. If I hold up her rear legs, she will walk on the fronts. A wheelchair would work, but would probably only buy me a few weeks. She's most likely too old to learn to use it.

Fuck fuck fuck!

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
Pain, my beloved cat was in pain and could not walk anymore. It was one of the most horrible things in my life to put her down.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
As far as I can tell, she's not in pain. If I hold up her rear legs, she will walk on the fronts. A wheelchair would work, but would probably only buy me a few weeks. She's most likely too old to learn to use it.

Fuck fuck fuck!
You be very surprised at how well they adapt.. old dogs do learn new tricks... it always amazed me when a dog loses a leg how quick they learn to cope with only three.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Very sorry to hear it MC.

I spend time loving on my dog every day but always a little extra when I read threads like this. She's around 9 or 10.

CID

So sorry for you guys.

Not sure which is worse ...knowing you're about to lose something you love or the hole left after the loss.

I'd insert something here about trying to draw on all of the good feelings they've brought into your lives, but I know it would be a useless point.
It's like somebody that says "get well" while being sick..... like yeah, no shit, but thanks anyway.
The major difference here is that the pain you're both feeling is truly shared by those of us dog lovers that are "in the know".
So, if you can't draw on the good times they've brought, or the wish for wellness from outsiders, take it to heart that there are people here that really care about the times you're facing and we'll all be thinking about you.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It wasn't useless CID, I heard what you said and got it.
Sometimes, the written word doesn't convey the sincerity being given behind the words but, it did with yours.

Grief isn't linear and it sucks all the way through each stage visited and revisited.
I've been working through how to process grief for a lifetime...
...just like the rest of us.

Would life be a sweet without it?
I don't believe it would...

llord2

BAM
sorry MC. When the time comes for my kids, I'm having the vet come to us....they hate going to the vet. Something to consider

spkerhed

BAM
cbd oil works wonders for dogs with joint pain. Might be worth a try to give her a bit more time.

Website
www.JaxRacing.com
Quality of life. I just had to put down a cat I've had for 16 years. Kidneys failing, didn't eat like he should, had a tougher time getting around like he used to, but he'd still hop in my lap, purr and chill like he always did. Tried all kinds of different foods, all kinds of different meds... I knew. Made the decision, and fuck... that sucked... for me.

My wife loves all the cute and fuzzies out there (she'll be the crazy cat lady when I'm dead and gone). She's also a veterinarian. She's had hard days putting animals to sleep, but she said the harder days are when owners just refuse to make that choice and the animal is suffering.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Quality of life. I just had to put down a cat I've had for 16 years. Kidneys failing, didn't eat like he should, had a tougher time getting around like he used to, but he'd still hop in my lap, purr and chill like he always did. Tried all kinds of different foods, all kinds of different meds... I knew. Made the decision, and fuck... that sucked... for me.

My wife loves all the cute and fuzzies out there (she'll be the crazy cat lady when I'm dead and gone). She's also a veterinarian. She's had hard days putting animals to sleep, but she said the harder days are when owners just refuse to make that choice and the animal is suffering.

Being a vet has to be hard as hell on days like these. I couldn't do it.

quiver

BAMF
sometimes, you just know. it's a terribly hard place to be in, let your vets guide you.

my great pyrenese was a few weeks shy of 14. I thought she was in pain from arthritis, but she had a large tumor on her liver.
I was in shock and loss. I had to do right by her. give her peace and mercy. when my little boston had lymphatic cancer, it was a matter of months. terrible painful months of worry that I was being selfish. but I knew when i had to let her go.

I've been in the position of turning off life support with my brother and mother, i respected their wishes. just as when I was on life support from my stroke. I was a dnr.
I never questioned it, i knew and felt the decisions were right.
please know, that you did the right thing.
I hope this helps a little

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Being a vet has to be hard as hell on days like these. I couldn't do it.
I was doing okay until a couple of days passed and my Vet sent a sympathy card signed by him, his wife all all the staff at his clinic.
Fucking nearly wrecked me so, I wrote a letter back to them saying how good the care and treatment had been there, what it meant to me and that they all showed great empathy to us both.

I haven't shown my face there since then as I still get a little choked up thinking about it all.
Can't be out there crying in public in front of other people...
...like I did the other time I took Sandi dog in to be put down a few years earlier, different Vet.

I don't know how they do it for a living.

I'd have to be medicated.

My sister is going through this today. Her 14 year old Black Lab, Sammy, isn't eating, isn't drinking enough, and can't walk without his rear legs collapsing. I forgot what condition he has, but it's a condition of his nervous system. He's having seizures as well. She's taking him in this afternoon or tomorrow morning. He's still bright eyed, loving and playful (as much as he can be). My son loves him. I'm hoping we can get up there this afternoon so he can say good bye to ol'Sammy. :cry:

BigGar

high on placebo
We had a big ridgeback / mastiff mix many years ago. His back legs failed and we got him pumped up with prednizone and bought about six more months.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
When i opened up the hunting lodge, we found a couple stray dogs that had been there for years. The previous owner had adopted them and kept them there around the property.
One of them a black lab mix, the other a full fledged stray.
The lab mix was a very courageous dog, one of the only dogs i've seen run into pitch black darkness to scare off the bear that use to visit us.
One day i found a big open gash on his front leg that went to the bone, most likely the bear or at the very least a wild boar.
Dog knew no fear.
One day he stopped eating. Called the vet and after a quick checkup he told me that he had 2 days maybe 3.
Very next day he laid down in the yard next to where we all hung out and cut/split firewood. The following two days were torture, seeing him not eat nor drink and not move at all. He just sat there laid out eyes open. I tried all i could to confort him covering him and wrapping him in blankets finding a comfortable spot for him. After two days of him being this way i decided to pull out the rifle and end his suffering.
Went over to him we hugged and talked a bit and i told him i am sorry for what i am about to do. Put the rifle to his head and he just stared at me, wagging his tail a little, it was all the movement he had left in him.
I tried real hard to pull the trigger but just couldn t.
Sat with him until night time when he finally took his last breath and passed.

I buried him next to the garfield lookalike that got hit by a car, next to Shelby, my beloved beagle who also got hit by a car. They would all go for long walks along the river with me and one spot we stopped to rest was under a big oak tree. I made that their permanent resting spot and buried them all next to ea other.
Painful losing animals who love you. I always turned to adopting other animals to heal the pain.
Romania is full of stray dogs/cats. Never a shortage of hungry homeless ownerless cats and dogs.
My car trunk was full of canned dog and cat food. I made sure every homeless cat or dog i ran into was fed and loved. If i had a ton of money, i would open a center for strays where they would all be treated with care and given to good people for adoption.
One place i've visited which left me amazed was Istanbul.
Never saw such a huge stray cat population. There are literally tens of cats at every step. But they re all fat and look to be well cared for. Turns out turks are huge cat lovers. Stray cats are given food by all, loved, given shelter... Its a cat paradise. Rare have i seen such a civilized culture in all of my travels.

Adopt.
Save a life and in exchange, that animal will make your life better.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Only a couple more months before I can add/afford a new little buddy.

Even with the known short time we get to have them in our lives,
I want another small dog with me.
The benefits of having them around outweighs all the costs, both financial & emotional.

Six months later and I still look around for Todo.
He changed my mind about small dogs having real value.

Top Bottom