House passes $15 minimum wage

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
That’s a great success story. Where Defoe’s that data come from? Originally the minimum wage, unions labor laws were all major life lines for the average worker and it was a great thing. Then people learned how much more people worked when they were happy and the US economy changed. It was again in the 1970’s when the big push for corporate ethics came to be with Milton Friedman and Ed Freeman arguing opposite sides (so they thought) of ethics.

I’ve worked minimum wage in high school. Taught me a lot. As an employer the percentage of people I paid minimum was 0%. I actually paid more then my competitors, got more jobs, did more work, had better employees.
Where Dafoe that data comes from is the previous 10 years, the last time the federal minimum wage was raised.
That happened as America was leading both ourselves and the entire world out of the depths of The Bush Depression.
Putting money in the hands of those who will spend it almost immediately, as minimum wage workers are the likeliest to do, is a time-tested way to wake up an economy.

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
Is it obvious to everyone else as it is to me that this is actually a bad deal and will kill an economy?

Most small businesses like Wormser and I will be just fine as we will raise prices slightly to offset the cost. Actually all my people make $15 plus anyways so it's a non-issue for me.......but most folks will raise prices and they will cut the lazy/whiny/shitty employees. Cutting the fat so to speak, we then would demand more of our 'good" employees and we will work more ourselves and carry on.

It's the big businesses that we really need to worry about, the Walmarts, Dick's Sporting Goods and restaurants like Taco Bell and McDonald's. These companies will not be able to absorb the 30-40% increase in wages. As most of you know running a business comes with lots of expenses and for a large majority of businesses employee cost and care is the biggest expense. When a big company like Walmart starts losing money because they can't afford the bill to the employees any longer that's when small business needs to be scared. Companies like Dick's, Walmart, Big 5 buy products from smaller businesses and when they start scaling back their orders and small business get's less in it's pocket coupled with the increase in employee cost, that my friends is when all of America will start to hold on to it's money for the fear of the unknown and this economy will come to a screeching halt.

BigGar

high on placebo
It will likely lead to a lot of inflation as well as a big loss in job satisfaction among people currently making 30-60% above the current minimum because they bust ass and do a great job. Think they're going to go to $20+ now?

CID

I just don't understand MW math

If everybody earned a $1M, does that mean we'll all be driving Lamborghinis? I don't think so...
no but a raise in MW certainly jacks up the medicare/medicaid/Social Security intakes for these jackass billion dollar employers that won't pay their workers enough when they're busting ass 40+ hours a week.

As is they're leaving the rest of us to foot the bill through higher tax rates.

You guys are thinking little potatoes again. Waiters and waitresses at a local bar driving up costs and makin it hard?? Nigga please. :lol::roll:

This is a FEDERAL minimum for companies making 500k+ in sales. If you can't pay $15 bucks an hour making $500k in sales cut back on the coke habit.

NOFUCKING BODY pays minimum wage and stays in business except McDonalds, Hilton and a host of other BILLION dollar companies that are fucking over the tax payers through slave labor practice.

Stetson

BAMF
and just wait till this eventually rolls downhill to impact unemployment (and subsequent taxes) since that is calculated based on your weekly wage amount!

im already amused that here in florida they actually renamed it from unemployment tax...to re-employment tax.
Worker's compensation insurance is tied to wages too, of course.

CID

hey squid maybe you haven't gotten the memo from Elon Musk yet but in about another 10 years silver nor Gold won't be worth dirt and all metal economies will be in the toilet since we'll be getting all that off asteroids. :lol:

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
Restaurants Unlimited declares bankruptcy

Restaurants Unlimited declared bankruptcy Sunday and closed six units, as the Seattle-based casual-dining operator faced dwindling cash reserves after struggling for three years to find a buyer amid heavy debt costs.

The company in legal filings largely blamed rising minimum wages in many of its biggest markets, along with costs from two restaurant openings that didn’t work out as well as planned.

Restaurants Unlimited was founded in 1968 and currently operates 35 locations in several brands including Kincaid’s and Palomino. It was sold to private-equity firm Sun Capital in 2007.

According to legal filings, Restaurants Unlimited has more than $39 million in secured debt and another $7.6 million in unsecured debt to vendors.

The company said it has just $150,000 in cash on hand and “lacks access to needed liquidity other than cash flow from operations.”

In legal filings, the company said that higher minimum wages in cities such as Seattle, San Francisco and Portland, Ore., cost it $10.6 million in higher wages through the end of its most recent fiscal year, and it expects more higher minimum wages in the coming year.

But it also blamed “the general national trend away from casual dining” for lowering sales, which declined 1% in the past fiscal year.

Restaurants Unlimited also said that it opened two new restaurants, in Bellevue, Wash., and Seattle. The openings cost the company $10 million, but “the anticipated foot traffic and projected sales at these locations did not materialize.”

With higher costs from rising minimum wages, the company said that it “experienced significant operating losses at these locations.”

Restaurants Unlimited began looking for a buyer in 2016 but could not get any interested party past the due diligence portion of the sale process.

The company continued to look for buyers for the next three years but failed each time to reach an agreement.

Restaurants Unlimited then received forbearance agreements from its lenders, which the company said increased its interest rate and restricted its ability to borrow. With draining cash and rising costs, the company hired a chief restructuring officer this year and has not made a debt payment since January.

It then closed six unprofitable locations: Palomino locations In Indianapolis and Bellevue; Prime Rib & Chocolate Cake in Portland; Henry’s Tavern in Plano, Texas; Stanford’s in Walnut Creek, Calif.; and Portland Seafood Co. in Tigard, Ore.

Restaurants Unlimited believes the bankruptcy process can prompt a sale. The company said in filings that it has interest from “multiple strategic and financial buyers.”

CID

This at a business with 2018 revenues of $176 million, down 1 percent from the prior year, Bagley continued. Additionally, Restaurants Unlimited made an “ill-advised decision” to open two new restaurants in the second half of 2017 at a cost of $10 million, in Bellevue and Seattle, Washington.
'Progressive Wage Laws' Send Restaurants Unlimited into Bankruptcy

It spent the discretionary capital after the company was in default of a prepetition credit agreement and already “reeling from changes to minimum wage laws,” Bagley said. These new restaurants experienced significant operating losses from the outset, and Restaurants Unlimited was forced to close six unprofitable restaurants.
So again.... bad management at a corporate level and it's the fault of minimum wage workers getting paid to much.... Riiiight.

btw......These are STATE mandated part time wage increases that are being talked about that are supposedly fucking over these large million dollar corporations...like Restaurants Unlimited not the Federal full time wage minimums that were voted on, so don't combine the two and make it the same issue.

a5e.jpg

Last edited:

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
for unskilled la
That guy paid me $5 an hour, cash monays in a plain white envelope at the end of the week! (I just looked it up, minimum wage in Maine was $3.45 in 1985) And the other adult guy that worked for him had no qualms about buying alcohol for minors or sharing weed with them. That was a great job!:up:
yah as teens we had our town on the barter system. Trade $12 worth of deli sandwiches for gas or other food establishments. Had a buddy that worked at a corner gas station garage
and we could do oil changes, tire changes, etc.
I’ve worked minimum wage in high school. Taught me a lot. As an employer the percentage of people I paid minimum was 0%. I actually paid more then my competitors, got more jobs, did more work, had better employees.
exactly... you attract better talent that way. How hard was it for a 12yr old to get a 40%+ raise just beating the bushes? And continue to get subsequent raises thru 18?? Sure I could have continued working my $13/hr tow truck job to even more cash savings. The guy that took my place ended up getting killed while changing a tire on 95. whoops

what most folks would find a more appealing option, is perhaps a minimum RAISE for employees that hit at least a basic level of performance over each year of employment.

forcing companies to give $15/hr to even the dumbest of the fucks that walk in the door is absurd. its also equally absurd for many jobs to have employees work there year after year (doing at least an acceptable job) and getting little to no raise in the process.

now one will argue that should you hire an employee who does a great job, they should get an annual raise to keep them around and further make your business money...but thats not really how things work in the entry level job world.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Where Dafoe that data comes from is the previous 10 years, the last time the federal minimum wage was raised.
That happened as America was leading both ourselves and the entire world out of the depths of The Bush Depression.
Putting money in the hands of those who will spend it almost immediately, as minimum wage workers are the likeliest to do, is a time-tested way to wake up an economy.
Like the bush checks $300 to singles and $600 to marrieds?

YCIS hit it, spot on. Used to be you could count on a raise after 90 days once you get settled in and learn the job. Now it's a year if you are lucky. Never if you sit around and wait on it. So that's the limit I place on it before I start throwing my weight around, which has to happen all too often but shouldn't.

Stites

YCIS hit it, spot on. Used to be you could count on a raise after 90 days once you get settled in and learn the job. Now it's a year if you are lucky. Never if you sit around and wait on it. So that's the limit I place on it before I start throwing my weight around, which has to happen all too often but shouldn't.

That's what I do with my guys $1 after 90 days and then another $1 at their year mark. It's up to them on year two to get another raise.

Terry_Schiavo

forcing companies to give $15/hr to even the dumbest of the fucks that walk in the door is absurd. its also equally absurd for many jobs to have employees work there year after year (doing at least an acceptable job) and getting little to no raise in the process.
now one will argue that should you hire an employee who does a great job, they should get an annual raise to keep them around and further make your business money...but thats not really how things work in the entry level job world.
on a more local example... Gate has taken to open up automated car washes that require minimal staffing. I think the starting pay was $12/hr but more importantly weekends required. What was interesting was they chose to spend the loot on the front end to eventually go "fully" automated washes just so they didnt have to deal with the employee turn over of a traditional car wash.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
on a more local example... Gate has taken to open up automated car washes that require minimal staffing. I think the starting pay was $12/hr but more importantly weekends required. What was interesting was they chose to spend the loot on the front end to eventually go "fully" automated washes just so they didnt have to deal with the employee turn over of a traditional car wash.
I used one in VA to wash my bike on my trip down south. $2.50 a wash.. of course it took $7.50 to do a VERY good detail on my bike.. up in NYC its 15 bucks for a regular wash and have some poor ICE future detainee wipe my truck down with dirty rags...

I like the self serve no employee carwash better.

Terry_Schiavo

I used one in VA to wash my bike on my trip down south. $2.50 a wash.. of course it took $7.50 to do a VERY good detail on my bike.. up in NYC its 15 bucks for a regular wash and have some poor ICE future detainee wipe my truck down with dirty rags...
I like the self serve no employee carwash better.
the ones around here that have peoples sitting around... they must be fronts or drug stops. :D
I never see anyone cleaning cars under the carports...lol
If they are washing... the rest of the immediate area is filthy or unkept.

BigGar

high on placebo
Is it obvious to everyone else as it is to me that this is actually a bad deal and will kill an economy?

Most small businesses like Wormser and I will be just fine as we will raise prices slightly to offset the cost. Actually all my people make $15 plus anyways so it's a non-issue for me.......but most folks will raise prices and they will cut the lazy/whiny/shitty employees. Cutting the fat so to speak, we then would demand more of our 'good" employees and we will work more ourselves and carry on.

It's the big businesses that we really need to worry about, the Walmarts, Dick's Sporting Goods and restaurants like Taco Bell and McDonald's. These companies will not be able to absorb the 30-40% increase in wages. As most of you know running a business comes with lots of expenses and for a large majority of businesses employee cost and care is the biggest expense. When a big company like Walmart starts losing money because they can't afford the bill to the employees any longer that's when small business needs to be scared. Companies like Dick's, Walmart, Big 5 buy products from smaller businesses and when they start scaling back their orders and small business get's less in it's pocket coupled with the increase in employee cost, that my friends is when all of America will start to hold on to it's money for the fear of the unknown and this economy will come to a screeching halt.
I agree Scott, but your employees who currently make $15 or a few bucks more are going to want more money when they realize they can be jacking off at McDonalds and getting the same pay for basically zero responsibility.

Stites

I agree Scott, but your employees who currently make $15 or a few bucks more are going to want more money when they realize they can be jacking off at McDonalds and getting the same pay for basically zero responsibility.
After reading your reply I first thought I agree. Then I thought about it and I don’t agree.

Reason being we as people are inherently proud and we want others to be proud. I could be wrong but I don’t think people would be overly proud about announcing that they are the head salt and pepper guy at Micky dees.

Now working for me at my small shop isn’t any great achievement, but we make cool shit that makes people happy. We make shit that honors some of the greatest men and women in our community. That is something to this day I am personally still very proud to be apart of and from what I can tell from almost every one who has worked for me, they were proud to be making products that honored fine folks.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
They built the Taj Mahal of car washes in town, that place is huge and expensive. So huge and expensive, I doubt it will last more than a year, unless it is being used as a tax write off. Hardly any cars there.
Maybe they can lobby the state to make washing your car at home is illegal for wasting water and causing dangerous runoff into the waterways, so you'd have to wash your car at a place the recycles the water and doesn't pollute.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
After reading your reply I first thought I agree. Then I thought about it and I don’t agree.

Reason being we as people are inherently proud and we want others to be proud. I could be wrong but I don’t think people would be overly proud about announcing that they are the head salt and pepper guy at Micky dees.

Now working for me at my small shop isn’t any great achievement, but we make cool shit that makes people happy. We make shit that honors some of the greatest men and women in our community. That is something to this day I am personally still very proud to be apart of and from what I can tell from almost every one who has worked for me, they were proud to be making products that honored fine folks.
You have a good attitude there aboot pride in your work and workplace. I try to beat into the fucking morons head where I work that having a filthy dump cluttered with junk and garbage is detrimental to employee's moral and customers image of the place. But he is such a fucking piece of shit, he doesn't get it. I only have a few months left there.

BigGar

high on placebo

I agree that there's much greater personal reward in what you're doing than salting fries and I in no way tried to negate that. I just think about the people currently working "real" jobs that pay $15 or so per hour. Jobs that require skill and a level of responsibility. Maybe jobs doing things that aren't very pleasant or rewarding, but they pay a few bucks more than the current minimum, so they persevere. I think they're going to be looking for a rather reasonable pay raise and they should.

Stites

I agree that there's much greater personal reward in what you're doing than salting fries and I in no way tried to negate that. I just think about the people currently working "real" jobs that pay $15 or so per hour. Jobs that require skill and a level of responsibility. Maybe jobs doing things that aren't very pleasant or rewarding, but they pay a few bucks more than the current minimum, so they persevere. I think they're going to be looking for a rather reasonable pay raise and they should.
Fair enough, it’s my job to create an environment that pays well and that they won’t want to leave

Stites

This was today.....I was honored and so was the guy who made this flag that after 40 years of service we got to make her retirement gift. They said she cried when she saw it

also note its not just a 30/40% increase...current federal min wage is what...7.25/hr?

going to 15 is more than double the current minimum wage. can you imagine your labor cost doubling overnight? the term "shitshow" comes to mind.

sure many states have minimum wages a wee bit higher than the federal minimum...but most of them either do not..or are very close to that 7.25 number.

Terry_Schiavo

I was listening to these "gaming" industry cast offs complaining about the conditions under which they work. Most of them are contractors for hire and ones looking to "climb" a ladder were crying the loudest. One was promised a "project manager" position at the conclusion of the release of a game. Instead she was cut loose and whined & cried about having to start over in another contractor position. The takeaway here...she earned over 6 figures in the time it takes to gestate a human being. I learned a long time ago that in a highly competitive & demand position... you got to bring something to the table. In IT... it was a pair of tits mated to a size < 4 body. Beats any qualifications or resume...lol. Works in politics too... see AOC. :D

Terry_Schiavo

Fair enough, it’s my job to create an environment that pays well and that they won’t want to leave
It can be good & bad. My previous job we often had "major" league applicants looking to get inside for our work & customer(s). I think Gar mentioned how many local guys that he trained & employed that went on to be his competitor(s).
Large small business problems.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
About 35 minutes NW of Austin is the community of Bee Cave, Tx. It has experienced tremendous growth over the last 4 years. At the school bus barn they have a bus parked near the highway with a banner on it...bus drivers wanted, $20.00 an hour.
That is all

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
I was listening to these "gaming" industry cast offs complaining about the conditions under which they work. Most of them are contractors for hire and ones looking to "climb" a ladder were crying the loudest. One was promised a "project manager" position at the conclusion of the release of a game. Instead she was cut loose and whined & cried about having to start over in another contractor position. The takeaway here...she earned over 6 figures in the time it takes to gestate a human being. I learned a long time ago that in a highly competitive & demand position... you got to bring something to the table. In IT... it was a pair of tits mated to a size < 4 body. Beats any qualifications or resume...lol. Works in politics too... see AOC. :D
So if you've got two women applying for the same job, and one has work experience but no degree, and the other has a degree but no work experience, which one do you hire?

The one with the biggest tits of course.

Austin_F

BAMF+
About 35 minutes NW of Austin is the community of Bee Cave, Tx. It has experienced tremendous growth over the last 4 years. At the school bus barn they have a bus parked near the highway with a banner on it...bus drivers wanted, $20.00 an hour.
That is all
I wouldn't want to be a driver for the kids around here for any amount. Bus drivers be calling the cops, kids be banned for life from the busses...these kids today dont have any respect for anyone.

City bus driving is different. Pays a bit more, great benefits, and the passenger literally just want to get from point a to b with no problems, yelling, etc.

City bus drivers around here stay on for years and years, school bus drivers barely last a year.

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
M-C, go do it! Rent a small business space with an office and shop. Or maybe do it out of your house, but keep it down low...take in only select clients....you could have a fine, well-kept little business....get the hell out of that filthy fucking junk yard! You're better than that....don't be scared!
I only have a few months left there.

Top Bottom