Help me with my next bike purchase

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
So…
I just sold my 1290 Super Adventure R which happily went to a good home and will get ridden the way it was intended. I guess, after lifelong list of sport bikes, the adventure bikes are not my thing. They are comfortable, but for my 5’10” / 32” frame, SAR was too top heavy and unwieldly. I just could not get used to it. The lack of the top end was also bothering my ego.

This is the first time in over 3 decades I am bikeless. Even worse I’m indecisive and hesitant of what to get next. This is very strange for me as in the past I always had a laser sharp focus about my purchases, but in the last 18 months I went through 3 bikes.

There is a history- I’ve managed to own 40 – 50 bikes and loved each one 😉, until:
Loved my heavily modified ZX14R which I sold after 4 years. I felt it was a time for something new.
Got the H2 SX. Did not like it, (in my opinion) the bike had no soul.
I wanted to try something completely new and purchased 1290 SAR… see above.

Here is what I’m thinking:

KTM Super Duke R
  • Good power (+)
  • Comfortable (+)
  • Relatively cheap, used deals are available (+)
  • Proven (+)
  • Never owned a naked bike (???)
  • Not as fast as the bikes below (-)
  • (Probably should also check out a Tuono :biggrin1a:)
BMW S1000RR M
  • Active suspension (+)
  • Carbon wheels (+)
  • Cheaper than Panigale V4S (+)
  • Potential serious crankcase recall issues (-)
  • Sold out most places (-)
Ducati Panigale V4S
  • Really interested since I never owned a Ducati (+)
  • Expensive (-)
  • Recall issues, most should be resolved by now (-)
Ducati Panigale 1299R twin (2015 - 17)
  • Really interested since I never owned a Ducati (+)
  • Used bikes are available, better value (+)
  • V-twin torque (+)
  • Older technology (-)
Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory
  • Good value (+)
  • Does not float my boat as well as Ducati (-)
  • Dated (-)
Yamaha R1M
  • Active suspension (+)
  • Weaker engine (-)
  • Very similar to most of the Japanese bikes I’ve owned (-)
Buy a used sport bike and see what happens?

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The Yamaha has an interesting sound, there is potential for power to be uncovered and least likely to eat your wallet on maintenance and repairs.

The KTM because it'll piss Mr. Lucky off and top end isn't everything.

The Aprilia because it's pretty and has a nice sound as well.

The Ducati Twin because of the noises and sound along with uniqueness.

BMW...more expensive in the long term but, it does well when it works as advertised.

The Yamaha is what I'd pick just from a point of money and man hours per hours of riding fun.

pimpslayer

BAMF+
Just remember, when those Ducatis hit 15,000 miles and it's time for a tuneup/valve check, you'll be looking at a service bill north of $1500.00

Very time consuming. They say it takes well over 10 hours.

One of the reasons I only mess with the air cooled 2 valve models.

(If I wanted something intricate and fast right now, I'd be on this bike: For sale - 2014 aprilia Tuono V4, Pensacola, FL ABS Akra/Race ECU )

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
3 sport bikes, 3 naked standards

Seems to me you should first pick which category you want

BigGar

high on placebo
What about the non-sport touring Kawasaki H2? Get one that someone has done the Brock's stuff to and it's pushing 260hp at the rear tire. Probably pick up a garage queen for way under 20K. I have zero idea what the market is on those right now though.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
If you're up for a naked bike.. seriously go try out a Tuono.. the ergos are very good and it has soul and enough handing/ power/ brakes to do track days.. the 2019 factory has semi active ohlins forks and shock. Its comfy as fuck.. the engine is fabulous.. this thing with an exhaust and map pulls 4th gear wheelies easy

Only drawback is its a bit if a gas guzzler

Oh and the ecu id unlocked( even 2019) and you can map it using tune ecu and a 30$ fiat usb cable

MadRussian

HOLYBAMF
Make me an offer on my SDR. It's black 2018 with 10K miles.
Add-ons: heated grips, Michelin PR5, Yosh slip-on, Yosh fender eliminator, Motech tank bag, bar-end mirrors, after market rider pegs (more grip) and brake/clutch reservoirs orange caps.

IMG_0986.JPG

pimpslayer

BAMF+
pimpslayer pimpslayer What is your opinion on Panigale V4 vs Twin?
Don't know much about the V4 yet, haven't talked to a really good owner yet. The Panigale twin was a lot harder to work on than the 1098/1198 family that came before it, just because there's not one big stand-alone frame for it. Just a pair of connectors on the front and back of the engine. I think the V4 Panigale has a more substantial frame.

Lots of poseurs snapping the V4 up because of the reviews posted online. They appear to be magic on a track.

I might get a chance to talk to a couple of owners later tonight at a club meeting over in Nashville. The 2 I'm thinking of had twin Superbikes before. One does trackdays.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
That BMW 1000 RR M is what I'm leaning towards as a replacement for the KTM..

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
That pinigale v4 street fighter is also an interest.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Between the bmw and the r1 I’d have a tough time. I think the r1 might have the edge though.
I'm waiting to see what the compliance of the Euro emissions do to the next run of bikes.

The new R1 is sweet .. the R 1 wins on being cheaper to maintain.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Top end on the my Super Duke with my fat ass and a pretty modded out bike is 169 on my GPS. Maybe 172 when I switch to the carbon fiber rims. So top end isn't there..

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Seriously Paul get your but to the west coast for a track day. You can ride the war horse (05 gsxr1000)

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Seriously Paul get your but to the west coast for a track day. You can ride the war horse (05 gsxr1000)

Thank you my friend.. doc is really on me to wait to ride until this thing completely heals. I was supposed to do the other one but he put a hold on it until November do to my slow healing.

15634654382326822440602756981835.jpg

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Don't know much about the V4 yet, haven't talked to a really good owner yet. The Panigale twin was a lot harder to work on than the 1098/1198 family that came before it, just because there's not one big stand-alone frame for it. Just a pair of connectors on the front and back of the engine. I think the V4 Panigale has a more substantial frame.

Lots of poseurs snapping the V4 up because of the reviews posted online. They appear to be magic on a track.

I might get a chance to talk to a couple of owners later tonight at a club meeting over in Nashville. The 2 I'm thinking of had twin Superbikes before. One does trackdays.
Got 2 guys here with pani v4s and they say the heat from the exhaust is incredible..

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
You weren't specific about a time frame for the cure for bikeless fukishness, :green:
so far the Harley BareKnuckle is vaporware, some blurbs and images on the Internet. My limited interaction with the local dealer points to actual customers dragging BareKnuckles down the road maybe next spring, perhaps a few of them to see at Daytona Bike Week next March.

Stetson

BAMF
WTF is up with all this bike talk in Bike Talk? Stop shitting up the forum.

:wink2:

Z

BAMF+
Long........... azzz it's,,, made in JAPAN,,, :up:

:wink2: yer good.............. ta go..... :yahoo:

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
yamaha NO
new zx10 with $1500 worth of work/reprogram will be north of 200 and 100 ft lbs of torques on pump gas. All in maybe 17ish??

gsxrian

BAMF
H2 SX no soul , WOW ....... i love mine as a compliment to my 400HP H2.

...also have a 2012 BMW s1000rr as a track bike and a 2016 zx10r for fun on the streets.

I would go for the 2020 BMW s1000rr M ....... R1's will always give you issues!

I have a friend with a 2015 R1M ....says he will NEVER buy a Yamaha again! He has owned over 50 bikes.

Stetson

BAMF
I've had a Yamaha Bass guitar, trombone and an outboard or two, but I've never had a Yamaha motorcycle. Almost got a used Vmax a couple years ago, but it turned out to be a shit box.

I did get a Yamaha scooter a couple weeks ago, but it doesn't count.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
What was your top end on the 1290 adventurer? Do they limit out put as opposed the the R ..

If I did it over again I would have went with the GT.. but only on the touring side of things. Properly set up the Bike has VERY usable power for street use. With slightly lowered pegs and the power sports seat 400 mile days are non issues.

OP
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
What was your top end on the 1290 adventurer? Do they limit out put as opposed the the R ..

If I did it over again I would have went with the GT.. but only on the touring side of things. Properly set up the Bike has VERY usable power for street use. With slightly lowered pegs and the power sports seat 400 mile days are non issues.
SAR was limited to 125.

OP
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just spent a good half a day shooting shit with a friend who races Panigale 1299, owns two other Ducatis, and ordering the new 916. He also manages the sales department at a Ducati / KTM dealership. He prefers the V4 over the twins for everyday use due to heat issues on the twins but prefers better torque curve on the twins.

Ducatis are just beautiful. Messed with the Super Duke and all the Ducatis. They are willing to deal on the new left over 18 KTM models, great price on the new SD. The GT is interesting but did not do it for me.

Not attracted to any current gen Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki models, been there done that.

The quest continues. Will checkout a Panigale R twins next. Saw couple 15/16 examples under $20k. KTM SD is still in the running. The crankcase related recall on BMW gives me a pause. Have not seen R1M in person yet.

OP
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
You weren't specific about a time frame for the cure for bikeless fukishness, :green:
so far the Harley BareKnuckle is vaporware, some blurbs and images on the Internet. My limited interaction with the local dealer points to actual customers dragging BareKnuckles down the road maybe next spring, perhaps a few of them to see at Daytona Bike Week next March.
Thinking weeks here unless some magic model will be released in spring. Already this is the longest I've been without a bike!

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
Thanks tovarish! :biggar:
If buying used I'd be looking at less than 3k miles.

Make me an offer on my SDR. It's black 2018 with 10K miles.
Add-ons: heated grips, Michelin PR5, Yosh slip-on, Yosh fender eliminator, Motech tank bag, bar-end mirrors, after market rider pegs (more grip) and brake/clutch reservoirs orange caps.

View attachment 21226

Stetson

BAMF
Thanks tovarish! :biggar:
If buying used I'd be looking at less than 3k miles.
Don't buy any used bike from MadRussian. They're all wore out by the time he's done with them. He only shuts them off long enough to change the oil. :ducmanic::smile2:

OP
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
If you're up for a naked bike.. seriously go try out a Tuono.. the ergos are very good and it has soul and enough handing/ power/ brakes to do track days.. the 2019 factory has semi active ohlins forks and shock. Its comfy as fuck.. the engine is fabulous.. this thing with an exhaust and map pulls 4th gear wheelies easy

Oh and the ecu id unlocked( even 2019) and you can map it using tune ecu and a 30$ fiat usb cable
At these prices I should at least check it out. I did not know that 2019 Factory has active suspension. Seems like good value.

VFR Rider

BAMF

The Tuono would be a great bike that will go from the street right to the track and run with any of the super sport liter bikes with ease, all without the demanding ergos of a super sport. My only concern would be reliability and getting parts and service if needed. Went on a road trip with a friend who has a Caponord. Damn thing started missing when opening the throttle much at anything above 4000 rpm. One of the panniers started coming loose and would not stay firmly attached to the bike. Riding behind him I could see the pannier moving around and the exhaust glowing orange as it dumped unburned fuel into the catalytic converter. Bike only had 1500 miles.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
The Tuono would be a great bike that will go from the street right to the track and run with any of the super sport liter bikes with ease, all without the demanding ergos of a super sport. My only concern would be reliability and getting parts and service if needed. Went on a road trip with a friend who has a Caponord. Damn thing started missing when opening the throttle much at anything above 4000 rpm. One of the panniers started coming loose and would not stay firmly attached to the bike. Riding behind him I could see the pannier moving around and the exhaust glowing orange as it dumped unburned fuel into the catalytic converter. Bike only had 1500 miles.
Shit can happen with any new bike..

Remember in 2011 when the zx10 were snapping valves ?

As for service, it all depends on the dealer you have.. mine is pretty good and flexible.

Mecanics are alright.

Last edited:
Top Bottom