Has anybody ever been treated by a chiropractor?

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
My wife has lower back pain caused by a bit of scoliosis and some old discs.
So she found a groupon discount for 3 visits to a chiropractor. I went with her to the first adjustment
and it seems like B.S. that you can just force your vertebra into a normal alignment even if you go to
all the sessions that they recommend........3 times a week for 8-12 months.........@$60 a pop.

I think the best treatment would be to do specific stretching and muscle building exercises that support
the spine, combined with good posture and proper work habits.

Or perhaps, a bit of chiropractic to somehow straighten her out followed by muscle building/stretching.

What I want to know is if anyone here has been to a chiropractor?
Did it help with your issues?
Did the relief, if any, last long?
Did you think it was worth it?

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
I did. Personally core work, stretches and an inversion table are far better investments.
Though my chiro was a cute lil lady that gave me a chubby when she crawled all over my back trying to crack it.
Ironically I had a $13k balance (alledgedly) since I was going 3 times a week for about a year.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I go to an osteopath instead of a chiro. He's had more training and its covered by insurance.

he uses some old school brute force methods, just a wood slab for a table. No dropping sections. He puts his fist under my back and then slams his body weight on top of me. He gets every thing.

I went on a vicious wooden roller coaster that knocked something out of alignment in my neck. As soon as I got home I called him and to,d him what happened. My neck was just starting to hurt when I went to my appt. with one shot he corrected it.

i haven't had to go back in a year.

BigGar

high on placebo
I think a good one can provide legitimate long term benefits and certainly help when your neck or spine is really tweaked. Schiavo's advice is at least as good, or could be used in combination with adjustments. Inversion tables are fucking magical. Stretching, Yoga, and core work are also no-brainers.

Gar

GSXRN99

CAPSLOCK
D.O. DOESN'T MEAN MORE EXPERIENCE. I WOULD SEE REPUTABLE D.C. NOTHING BETTER START AS STRONG ABD CORE TRAINING.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
A chiro can provide relief in some situations.
But without good stretching & care of the back, most people just end up having the same problems over and over.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I had a really bad experience with a chiro-quacker. It would take a small army to get me to go back. :down:

Terry_Schiavo

A chiro can provide relief in some situations.
But without good stretching & care of the back, most people just end up having the same problems over and over.
and of course... eliminating the "continental kit" many are carrying around. :D
I remember my father couldnt even lift a 5 gallon water cooler jug cause he was too fat. I was probably ~9 and I could muscle it up onto the cooler.

i went to the chiro a couple of times .He didnt help a bit .
A couple of things i noticed about them.
They spend 20 min preaching to you before any treatment .They want it to be like a religion or brainwashing or something.
They also want to be there when you get better so they can take credit for it.

rotts4u

BAMF
I've been for neck and lower back and yes they seemed to help me when orthos just wanted to offer me pain pills and steroids. I dont go to one that pushes 3 visits a week though. He is ore of a come see me when you hurt Dr

ticker

BAMF
I have had a few times they made a big difference on me after knocking my back out . If they are going to make a difference it should be within 1 to 5 visits .. depending . If your guy wants 3 times a week for a year , then I think his major was con artist and more than a few are out there . Find somebody else . Guys like construction workers and truck drivers know the good ones .

Terry_Schiavo

... Find somebody else . Guys like construction workers and truck drivers know the good ones .
yes because truckers and construction workers are the pinnacle of health and well being? I think you would do better to find a yoga class full of size 6 or smaller females with those defective yoga pants. :D

Part of my therapy was massage, acupunture, etc. A good massage does wonders for stress.

find a chiropractic school that is near your area and find out if the school needs out patient care and if they do you can get almost the same treatment for a lot less than what the doc you/wife seen.

I have used the chiropractic school out patient care and it worked out pretty good and cheap since the doctor is usually a student who is in his/her's last semester in school and needs to get hands on care with some patient and these students are under their instructor/teacher guidance.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Yes, found it necessary after putting this Indiana trooper over my head sideways who was 6'6" and 320 or so bullying me at a friends wedding. Bastard had no idea when I grabbed him by the collar and belt that he was going airborne. Neither of us had an idea my back was going on strike either and I dropped him and me to the ground, not sure who was worse off.

My back said the biggest fuck you I could imagine, short of it not being snapped in tow. If you drew a line straight to the floor from my sternum, my navel was 4" offset. Valium, muscle relaxers, ice and it didn't help. Finally saw my first chiro and after 30 minutes with a heating bad and on the traction table, he was able to make some adjustments that had my standing up straight, the first time in almost 3 weeks. Go regularly, X times per week for Y months.....nope. Just on an as needed basis. Sometimes 3x a week if something goes really pear shaped (my spine), other times once every 4 months for a quick tune up if I jack something around.

Been to one new-age fruitcake who professed using an activator was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yeah, my rib bones were the size of his femur. That activator does nothing but make a click sound and make me itch. Found a local girl who does it old school, climbs aboard and bashes the skeleton back in to shape. Then the more subtle techniques looking everything else over.

Took a while to learn what works, what doesn't, glad I know what I know to flush out the witch doctors or the new age pansies and find the real deal.

oh, and big surprise....lose 44 pounds and a lot of it off the waist, the spine is that much happier.

BAM
Some random thoughts & info that may or may not help you RobBase:

There are essentially two kinds of chiropractors based on differing schools of thought/philosophies-
the "straight" ones, and the "mixers".

The straight chiropractors call the maneuver they perform on joints 'adjustments'.
Mixers call it 'manipulation'.

Straights are extreme about the holistic approach to health, and see adjustments not as 'pain-relief',
but part of wellness...
In a nutshell: the brain controls everything, sends its signals through the spinal cord and nervous system,
stress/trauma/toxins can negatively affect the complex spine in some way, the spinal nerves exit the spine through exit holes
adjacent to the spinal joints & associated musculature and soft tissue, adjustments help restore normal
movement and reduce 'stress', therefore allowing spinal nerve transmission to be un-hindered,
thus allowing your body's innate ability to have optimal wellness & health in many or all aspects,
not only to muscles/joints but to organs as well.

'Mixers' see things more 20th Century.
They are trained in a very sports-rehabilitation/physical therapy minded way.
They perform specific manipulation to restricted painful joints to restore range of motion and to decrease pain.
This can be for acute or chronic instances.
This isn't limited to the spine.
Manipulation and rehabilitation can be performed on any synovial joint in the body.

The training of mixers is quite intense, and is is quite focused on diagnosis as per modern medical standards (ie Merck Manual et al).
The mixer is indeed a doctor, because the low back pain you present with may be due to
kidney stones, abdominal aortic aneurysm, ostopenic compression fracture, or metastatic tumors in the lumbar spine.
He/she must arrive at a proper diagnosis. This sometimes requires advanced imaging (CT/MRI),
and maybe even a referral to another type of practitioner or for blood work.

Or- your back pain could be because you twisted it wrong while shoveling snow.

Once a proper diagnosis is determined, a proper treatment plan usually consisting of
manipulation, modalities (E-stim, heat, cryo, ultrasound, etc), stretching, deep tissue work, and exercises-
all with the goal of pain reduction, restoring normal ADL (activities of daily living), and prevention of re-injury.

The doctor of chiropractic is trained to diagnose, determine action, and develop a treatment plan.
Progress and recovery of musculoskeletal pain disorders is based on objective, quantitative measurement
in addition to a patient's subjective assessment.

If therapy isn't working, a different course shall be taken.
Perhaps a different conservative approach.

Or, maybe referral to more aggressive/invasive therapy (medical pain management).

'Mixers' are often found together with other health practitioners in Pain Management Clinics.
In these, you'll find together under one roof: an MD, a DC, PT, acupuncturist, nutritionist, pyschologist, etc...
(Yes, psychologist, because chronic pain has a very real psych component to it...).

Joint manipulation is the art/skill of stretching a joint just past its current range into what's called the para-physiologic area.
The famous 'pop' that's heard is a cavitation that occurs due to the pressure change within the joint capsule from being stretched,
when dissolved gases come out of solution. Think of like when uncorking a champagne bottle.
It is NOT bones contacting and crunching into one another.
That 'pop' is a happenstance by-product of manipulation.
Successful manipulation doesn't need to make an audible noise.

This movement is performed on joints that have some sort of restriction, which may or may not be objectively measured.
The goal is help restore normal movement & range of motion.
Joints are a complex of many soft tissues. One or many can be in need of service.

Manipulation has been recorded as being practiced for centuries.
Before "big business", there were medicine men, herbal remedy and bone-setters.
Chiropractic got its name as we know it in North America at the turn of the 20th Century.

In the 80's, the AMA was brought to court and found to be engaging in unlawful methods to to "contain and eliminate the chiropractic profession".
Many questionable & illegal practices were performed, whose goal was to drag chiropractic through the mud.

And it worked. many folks still use childish terminology like 'quackopractors' etc

And for some, justifiably so if they only saw 'one' and had a shit experience,
or maybe didn't have their expectations met.

Ultimately, there are good DCs and bad ones, just like everything else.

My suggestion: if you want to try it out-
take your time, do your research to find a good one,, just like anything else.
The art of manipulation takes great knowledge, skill and practice.
Just as a black belt in xyz martial art knows his stuff, so does a good chiropractor.

Adjustments/manipulation may or may not help certain joint issues.
As a conservative therapy that has low risk vs many other therapies, it's a worthwhile pursuit.

This is why insurance companies pay for chiropractic care.
And this is why knowledgeable open-minded MDs work alongside chiropractors.

The final word is:
your health is your own great responsibility.
There ain't a lot of magic tricks to make everything 'better'.

Ok, yes- oxycodone does indeed work wonders lol.

The road to recovery and wellness is sometimes long and hard.
Good luck man.

OP
RobBase

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
Thanks for the feedback, ya'll.

Reason for my first B.S. flag with this chiropractor was that after Shawna went the first time and he did actual X-rays to look
at her spine, he said the next visit would be a "group" visit to explain his holistic approach to his new patients.
I told Shawna, we want a doctor, not a preacher.

By the X-rays, she does have real issues so I don't doubt his honesty, but I do question his philosophy.

Turns out, 98940, he is a "straight," when I seem to think that a "mixer" would be a better approach. Shawna's
problems are more genetic, slight curvature of the spine, which seems to be a common problem for lots of people.

My buddy has an inversion table, which he doesn't use.....I can see it might have a future at our house.......:up:

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
My wife has scoliosis and had back pains all the time...not a mild case either
Went to chiropractors a total f about three times until the guy told her "do you plan on coming here every month you have a back problem? If you've noticed there's nothing but old farts in the waiting room. You don't belong here. I think you should seriously consider yoga or pilates classes to strengthen your core and stretch your back and you'll find it more rewarding than coming to see me once a month"

She took his advice. This was 5 yrs ago.
She started with pilates then moves on to different types of yoga.
For the last yr she has been taking up Bikram yoga which is probably the most.demanding yoga there is...
Today, she is a different person. She can do splits fold in half and perform poses that 99% people can't.

Gone are the back problems...in return, strong core, washboard stomach and a healthier back.

Sir Loin

BAMF
I went to one of the snake-oil guys, and bailed after discovering it was a racket.

I tried another chiro/sports medicine guy with good results. A typical session started with a hot pad to warm the back and neck, then a 30 minute massage (nice redhead), and then manipulation. They put me on an inversion table one time and like Gar said, they really work. I heard cracking from my back that I've never heard before, but it gave me lasting relief. I will probably be buying a table some time in the future to keep things in line.

I would stay away from the snake oil "holistic" dudes and try a rehab/sports medicine guy.

Austin_F

BAMF+
D.O. DOESN'T MEAN MORE EXPERIENCE. I WOULD SEE REPUTABLE D.C. NOTHING BETTER START AS STRONG ABD CORE TRAINING.
The reason I went was because the chiro I went to couldn't fix me, after three visits he referred me to the osteopath.

no heating pads, no sound wave magic wand thing, no preaching. He poked and prodded, got me on the picnic table and CRACK CRACK. Took my breath away. 3 days later I was good as new.

i go back once in a while for maintenance.

youngzrxer

BAMF
What kind of inversion table do you guys use? Teeter Hangups is all I know from informercials lol

Buelligan

HOLYBAMF
What kind of inversion table do you guys use? Teeter Hangups is all I know from informercials lol
You wouldn't believe how much just hanging from a pull-up bar can do for you. Just a minute (total) after my running totally gets rid of a nagging sacroilliac problem I've suffered with for a few years.

An inverstion table might be better, but this is free.

ticker

BAMF
By the X-rays, she does have real issues so I don't doubt his honesty, but I do question his philosophy.

By personal experience , I am left with little faith in chiropractic X-rays ( I'm assuming he took these at the office ) and his ability to definitively diagnosis major problems ... ( delete long story here ) . If you have insurance get an MRI and go from there .

Smitty

BAMF+
Never thought of it much, but several were fellow mountain climbers & one was one of the most leading surgions up in Edmonton, Alberta of Canada.

A group of us decided to climb Revelstoke Mtn (11147 feet south of Mt Robson) in the spring. Through some reason reason or another I found six of them were classed a Doctors.

Dameon

BAMF+
I didn't read the thread, but most Chiropractors are quacks (along with most doctors in my opinion).

Only halfway decent Chiropractors are the ones that employ the Logan Technique correctly. Most don't like it as it is a long term fix (not as many follow-up visits).

Jedi

I finally found a good reputable one and I usually go at least once a month. when I get to the point where hurts to bend over and I have trouble sleeping I go see the chiropractor and everythings good for another month or so.

Team222

BAMF
Those so called activators are/were quartz BBQ grill starter buttons, there was a chiro here that sold them on TV for a couple yrs before the Attorney General shut him down, he made millions.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
My thoughts on the chiropractic re-alignment spiel-
Go to a slaughterhouse and buy a fresh spine, a sheep, pig, or goat spine will work as well as a bigass steer or horse spine.
Go ahead and try to manipulate or rearrange anything about that spine without fukking it up.
There's a LOT of connective tissue around those vertabrae, none of them are going to be moved without tearing that connective tissue.

A physical therapist I'll pay for (and have), a chiropractor never.

strong drugs ...thats what im looking for when my back gets mangled.
I used to have an ostiopath that was not affraid to prescribe good shit.
It doesnt take the pain away but relieves the stress somewhat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom