Guess that vehicle

wormser77

BAMF
We had to clean out an overgrown area at the lake and our neighbor Cliff, the 83 year old badass godfather of the lake that's lived hear for 60+ years busted this rig out to level out the ground with the plow.
He's built this thing over a few times, use to log with it, haul slate out of mines up north and all sorts of crap.
Guess what it is?

llord2

BAM
Definitely a Power Wagon. My uncle had one on his farm many moon ago. Had a flathead 6

Second Series: 1951-(early)56

Includes the following years and model numbers: 1951 B-3-PW; 1952- early 53 B-3-PW; late 1953 B-4-PW; 1954 C-1-PW; 1955- early 56 C-3-PW;
Additional Distinguishing Features: (3) slightly curved stake pockets on each side, bed sides are stamped. Looking at these bed sides from the rear, the top rail section of the bed angles out at 45 degrees with a rounded top edge. Group of 4 gauges in center of dash (Fuel, Amp, Temp, Oil) with silver/grey faces.
Looks like it could take down that entire fence with one push!

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF
'52 dodge power wagon mt37 weapons carrier.
Thing is a beast, fully submersible and will go anywhere. Cliff also built a fork lift system for hauling logs.
And with everything being manual, no power steering and not the best sight out of the cab he puts it within inches of everything in some tight spots.
I thought the fence was gonna get hit a few times!
Different man & machine from a different era!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I drove one a couple times in the Army, but we didn't have them long after I got to the unit in '75. The M37s were supposed to be turned in long before I got there. They were to be replaced by the M715 Jeep in the mid to late '60s. But the old Warrant Officer in charge of the motor pool kept the Dodges until he was forced to turn them in in '77. He said the M37s were easier to work on, and didn't need it as often.

He only turned them in when the parts supply dried up in the Federal Supply System.

Fine by me, I liked the newer Dodge M880 series with power steering and automatic better. :lol:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Let's see who responds.

The 880 Dodge screwed it up...
I modified the Flt Plt M880 with a better carburetor and some adjustments I made to the transmission.
It would do at least 90mph if I had the canvas rolled up Bimini style.

I didn't fix the speedometer though and it would bounce once over 45mph so,
the Warrant Officer that rode from Ft. Hood to Dallas NAS with me; so we could get some much needed squibs,
didn't know how fast we were really going but, he knew we were hauling ass.
He still didn't say anything as it was Friday and we both wanted to get back to the post for the weekend.

When it came time to turn the trucks in, the Motor Pool NCOIC chewed my ass and made me put the original carb back on.

I chased a many a Texas Jackrabbits on guard duty in those things.

Team222

BAMF
Let's see who responds.

The 880 Dodge screwed it up...
Lets give them a hint!

The hood goes all the way back for the same reason all military Fords, American Bantam and Willys Jeeps had flat sides on them?

Last edited:

Stetson

BAMF
Does the hood latch to the roof somehow to keep it from blowing shut on your head?

That's what the stencil under the hood probably refers to.

Been a long time since I was under the hood of a duece and a half, but I recall they had hook things to secure it up somehow.

I was driving a duece on a long, straight dirt road somewhere near Camp Grafton, ND once. I noticed the hood start to flutter just as I hit top speed, and I was about to ask the co driver if he latched it shut after PMCS, when it flew open. :biggrin: Hood came back and hit the cab so hard, it folded it over the roof. We had to leg press and kick it straight enough to get it to close again. Can't believe it didn't smash out the windshields.

Last edited:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
That was way before my time, but likely to make engine swaps easier or blast shield for the battlefield.
Help to keep you from being seen while napping too.
All good guesses. Even yours Chris... :lol:

Every time we went to the field and set up a tactical bivouac, we would back our vehicles in behind our defensive positions and camouflage them the best we could...and that started by propping the hood up to cover the glass windshield. Less reflection that way.*

50 gun Jeeps and a couple of Deuces meant we cut a lot of local flora to hide them with...and fresh stuff every 2 or 3 days.

* (I don't know if the hoods were designed to make camouflage easier, or if it was just a side benefit of the hoods being cheaper to manufacture that way)

Wretch

amazingly graceful
All good guesses. Even yours Chris... :lol:

Every time we went to the field and set up a tactical bivouac, we would back our vehicles in behind our defensive positions and camouflage them the best we could...and that started by propping the hood up to cover the glass windshield. Less reflection that way.*

50 gun Jeeps and a couple of Deuces meant we cut a lot of local flora to hide them with...and fresh stuff every 2 or 3 days.

* (I don't know if the hoods were designed to make camouflage easier, or if it was just a side benefit of the hoods being cheaper to manufacture that way)
We smeared ours with grease and then spray painted the proper flat colors over the glass.
Then took putty knives and cut just enough of a slot to see through.
The fucking camouflage netting, I wanted to use that stuff to hang the inventor with.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
So, I could make a billion dollars from the DOD by "inventing" a camo windshield cover (think inside sunshade) that goes on the outside and is held on with magnets or Velcro.
Shit, now that it's out there, I just lost my invention and billions of dollars.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I hear ya'...
As soon as you mentioned the hiding the glass aspect, that popped back into my mind.
We still had some mutts and the Deuce an half of course and that was the procedure when setting up camouflage netting...
...only it was best to wait until you had the netting up, before opening the hood.

No two rolls of that shit wear ever packed the same or correctly.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Just like a folded up GP Medium...

I was so glad to get out of the MP Bn, and get into the AVN Maint unit that never went to the field. We didn't even have tents...
Shit, we still had tents but, they weren't too bad when the team putting them up knew what the fuck they were doing.
The ten man tents/liner weren't too bad to put up but, returning from the field, cleaning and then hanging the tents to dry in the hanger was a huge pain in the ass.
In Texas, we could stay in the Boeing Hilton but, you'd freeze to death trying that in Alaska...
...we'd still nearly freeze to death in the ten man tents, even with the Yukon stoves burning all night.
-20 in a tent is no fucking joke.

I do wonder how many suffered injury assembling those damned cots sometimes.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Shit, we still had tents but, they weren't too bad when the team putting them up knew what the fuck they were doing.
/----------------/
I do wonder how many suffered injury assembling those damned cots sometimes. I almost lost a finger in one of those damn things!
We always used 10 or 12 man teams to put up GP Mediums. Finally learned at PLDC in '88 at Knox how to set one up with only 6 men. Then promptly forgot how... :lol:

Our Avn Maint Unit was a 310 person rebuild facility, activated if the balloon went up. We were supposed to move to a warehouse or big building on the docks in western France and fix Choppers coming back from the front. Then the Warsaw Pact fell apart...

Top Bottom