Guess I won't be flying Frontier Airlines anytime soon...

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
This airline is asking passengers to tip their flight attendants

This airline is asking passengers to tip their flight attendants

Sarah Berger | @sarahelizberger
4 Hours Ago
CNBC.com

For many, tipping workers such as waitstaff, hairdressers or taxi drivers is expected. But one airline is asking passengers to tip their individual flight attendants, too.

When passengers on budget carrier Frontier Airlines buy in-flight food or drinks, they'll now find a space on their payment tablet to leave a tip for the flight attendant that served them. This change was effective Jan. 1. Previously, any tips were pooled.

Tipping flight attendants is uncommon, JT Genter of travel site The Points Guy tells CNBC Make It. On a recent flight on Frontier, Genter was surprised when he was prompted to tip on the digital tablet after purchasing a can of ginger ale.

"I've flown more than 350 flights on 51 different airlines in the past three years, but I'd never experienced an airline ask for a tip," Genter says.

Flight attendants at United Airlines are not allowed to accept tips, and American Airlines crew members are instructed to decline tips, Marketwatch reports. Meanwhile, Southwest Airlines discourages tipping, but flight attendants are allowed to accept voluntary tips if the customer insists.

"It was considered inappropriate and undignified and most airlines forbade tipping or soliciting tipping, although of course it did happen now and then," George Hobica, travel expert and founder of Airfarewatchdog.com tells CNBC Make It. "Most cabin crew would far prefer that a passenger write a letter of commendation to the airline to reward excellent service."

Cabin crew is primarily there for passenger safety, points out Hobica. Shifting that focus could lead to mixed messages and strain the passenger-crew relationship, he says.

Hobica recalls one incident in first class on one major carrier where a passenger rudely demanded a flight attendant's attention. "When [the passenger] wanted a refill of his cocktail he bellowed to a passing flight attendant, 'More ice!,'" Hobica says. "The flight attendant said, 'Sir, what's the magic word?' And he replied: 'Don't teach me manners just give me more ice.'"

Explains Hobica, "I worry that if a flight attendant accepts a tip, then passengers will treat [that attendant] like a servant and not as someone who might save [their] life in an emergency."

Complicating matters is the guilt that can come along when passengers are prompted to give a gratuity for yet another service after they've already paid a lot of money for a ticket. That can put passengers in an uncomfortable position.

"Tipping is one of the most stressful and confusing aspects of etiquette today. It is a significant way to show appreciation for a job well done; however, treating the person who has served you with respect is every bit as important," The Emily Post Institute, a popular etiquette resource, says on its site. (The site does not offer recommendations for how much to tip flight attendants, though it does suggest anywhere from 10 percent to 15 percent for food service. However, as Hobica points out, flight attendants are not waitstaff in the sky.)

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My niece is a Flight attendant for American airlines...it's criminal what she makes a year and how she has to adjust to the daily call schedual... I would not last a week in that job taking bullshit from people.. fucking crying babies on planes... and ever single fucking fake emotional support dog trying to bite me.. I would be fired or in jail at the end of day three

JC

BAMF
When the cute one blows me, I'll tip her.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
My niece is a Flight attendant for American airlines...it's criminal what she makes a year and how she has to adjust to the daily call schedual... I would not last a week in that job taking bullshit from people.. fucking crying babies on planes... and ever single fucking fake emotional support dog trying to bite me.. I would be fired or in jail at the end of day three
Most don't realize that the flight attendant greeting them onto the plane and thanking them on the way off are unpaid for that. As far as hours worked, the clock starts when the cabin door closes, and stops when it opens.

luckystrike

Craves the dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Most don't realize that the flight attendant greeting them onto the plane and thanking them on the way off are unpaid for that. As far as hours worked, the clock starts when the cabin door closes, and stops when it opens.
Are you alluding to another capitalist pig bastard injustice?

So flight attendants aren't paid when the doors are open, you were probably paid during all those smoke breaks you took over your whole working life.

You win some, you lose some.

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Funny, when I was working, I didn't get paid driving in, or standing in the parking lot waiting.

Maybe they need a better union?

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Organizing and restocking the refreshment carts.
Hauling off the ridiculously oversized bags that dolt fliers thought were carryon.
Picking up things of value that dumbasses were too distracted to remember to carry off.
Picking up trash that slobs couldn't bring themselves to dispose of when the attendants came by with trash containers.

All off the clock labor.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
As I was reading today, I found out that some airlines start/stop the pay according to the parking brake.

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Hauling off the ridiculously oversized bags that dolt fliers thought were carryon.
Picking up things of value that dumbasses were too distracted to remember to carry off.
Picking up trash that slobs couldn't bring themselves to dispose of when the attendants came by with trash containers.

All off the clock labor.
Flying to virtually anywhere in the world for free, all off the clock?

luckystrike

Craves the dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
This FA wiped this fatso's arse :smile2:

"A female EVA Air flight attendant accused a passenger of sexual harassment and has threatened to sue the man after she was allegedly forced to undress him and wipe his behind after he used the bathroom."

Flight attendant accuses passenger of sexual harassment after he demands she wipe him

"The cabin director who wiped the man’s behind claimed the passenger began to moan and said “deeper” while she was assisting him."

:biggrin1a:

kratz74

BAM
Aren’t they union?

kratz74

BAM
So why does she continue to hold that job? Serious question.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
So why does she continue to hold that job? Serious question.
She gets to travel the world on the cheap. The Good part of being an airline flight crew is the do put you up and very decent hotels if you have a day or two layover..

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com

All off the clock labor.

Planes are catered, flight attendants don't do anything except serve, same with cleaning ... cleaning crews do that.

Top Bottom