gsteve, I'm just throwing this out there...

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Nothing more boring than revolver shootouts. Doubt there s anyone under 80 yts old there

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Unless you’re watching Jerry m
I'm not talking about phenomenons, but local talent. 99% of the gheezers shooting plates or other competitions are all shooting revolvers.
Again, I look at shooting competitions as "combative training" and in my opinion, the guns used should be the ones you would carry.
To bring a bazooka to the competition and be super competitive with it means zero if you can't have that gun holstered when you re out and about.

That's how I look at it. Obviously not everybody sees it the same.
I've seen contraptions at the local range competitions that one could never carry concealed. I don't understand why someone would become proficient with a gun that otherwise sits in their safe.

A revolver, regardless how target savvy, to ME, is useless in a combative situation, unless you're Jerry.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
As far as trap goes or other shotgun slash/ long range rifle competitions go, I feel shooting at clay isn t the same as shooting quail or ducks.
Sniping gongs at 1 km isn t the same as shooting goats atop mountain peaks in heavy wind gusts, shooting at angles and under extreme conditions.

To shoot a mountain goat you first have to walk for 10-15 hrs in unfriendly terrain, in the cold, carrying loads on your back. You wont be rested and laying in comfort when you take your shot and most of all, your shot will have to kill. Shooting paper or gongs while laying comfortably in the best conditions will be very different from a hunt where you can't afford a badly placed shot or where you won t get a second shot.

Quail hunts, the same thing applies... You're walking miles and miles through wet slush through cut corn stalks stsbbing you in the shins, along 5 other people, all having to be careful to not shoot ea other. You re not sitting beind a defined line in the upmost safest conditions, rested or in ysr s case having just got up from eating 5 lobsters just prior.
It's apples to oranges
Bradco would probably have a heart attack before getting off a shot on one of my quail hunts

Not even gonna get into 300 kilo boar hunts or bear hunts, where paper targets training will mean diddly squat when u got a locomotive charging at you thru the brush.

I have little respect for shooters shooting competitions simply because during any competition you have nothing bad that can happen to YOU. There are no reprecussions that can happen, you don't have the adrenaline flowing through your veins which will affect your shooting performance.

Most of these "range pros" shooting 2 inch groups at 20 yards will shit their pants if I left them alone in the dark woods at night where your instincts and hearing have to do the work for you, cause you will not hear nor see that bear sneaking up behind you... Or God forbid having to go find a wounded bear with a bloodlight in the middle of the night.

I don't need to shoot 2 inch groups with a $2500 "performance shop" revolver to survive. I know i can take down a boar running full steam at 100 meters with one shot to the neck. No amount of paper shooting will teach you that.

Last edited:

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Umm, because it's fun?

Fun is a relative term.
For you, fun is eating till you re ready to burst, then you shoot a few clay freesbees and place second out of a geriatric group.

For me fun is when i get back to the fireplace in the cabin in the woods after a hunt, make my tea roll my bone and spend a half hour watching the help skinning and butchering my kill.

I like to live life in real terms, not make believe.
So like i said, not everyone sees things the same and that s fine...i just get a kick out of you guys tripping over yourselves on who's paper group is tighter while shooting funny looking useless contraptions

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
And i should say, i have nothing against revolvers. They have their place...like in a side holster while living in bear country.

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
As far as trap goes or other shotgun slash/ long range rifle competitions go, I feel shooting at clay isn t the same as shooting quail or ducks.
Sniping gongs at 1 km isn t the same as shooting goats atop mountain peaks in heavy wind gusts, shooting at angles and under extreme conditions.

To shoot a mountain goat you first have to walk for 10-15 hrs in unfriendly terrain, in the cold, carrying loads on your back. You wont be rested and laying in comfort when you take your shot and most of all, your shot will have to kill. Shooting paper or gongs while laying comfortably in the best conditions will be very different from a hunt where you can't afford a badly placed shot or where you won t get a second shot.

Quail hunts, the same thing applies... You're walking miles and miles through wet slush through cut corn stalks stsbbing you in the shins, along 5 other people, all having to be careful to not shoot ea other. You re not sitting beind a defined line in the upmost safest conditions, rested or in ysr s case having just got up from eating 5 lobsters just prior.
It's apples to oranges
Bradco would probably have a heart attack before getting off a shot on one of my quail hunts

Not even gonna get into 300 kilo boar hunts or bear hunts, where paper targets training will mean diddly squat when u got a locomotive charging at you thru the brush.

I have little respect for shooters shooting competitions simply because during any competition you have nothing bad that can happen to YOU. There are no reprecussions that can happen, you don't have the adrenaline flowing through your veins which will affect your shooting performance.

Most of these "range pros" shooting 2 inch groups at 20 yards will shit their pants if I left them alone in the dark woods at night where your instincts and hearing have to do the work for you, cause you will not hear nor see that bear sneaking up behind you... Or God forbid having to go find a wounded bear with a bloodlight in the middle of the night.

I don't need to shoot 2 inch groups with a $2500 "performance shop" revolver to survive. I know i can take down a boar running full steam at 100 meters with one shot to the neck. No amount of paper shooting will teach you that.
Only one word can describe that post, verbose, inane, insipid, droning, long-winded, oh I guess it's more than one word.

Some people hunt, some people target shoot. Can't we all just get a thong?

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
What i'm saying is some can shoot paper real good, even make a living of it, while others can shoot things that actually fly and run.
I'm explaining the differences in the above posts specifically to "get along".

I simply wanted you to know that just because you shoot skeet or paper doesn't necessarily make you a better shot in EVERY SITUATION. I can guarantee you that your shooting performance will suffer in the field or against a seasoned hunter.

I'm also 100% certain that as far as shooting at paper or at clay targets is concerned, you would easily embarrass those seasoned hunters, because that's your domain.
Just pointing out the differences.

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I simply wanted you to know that just because you shoot skeet or paper doesn't necessarily make you a better shot in EVERY SITUATION. I can guarantee you that your shooting performance will suffer in the field or against a seasoned hunter.
No question. Two kinda related activities, only because they both use firearms.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Target shooting and hunting are directly related. Developing skill and familiarity with the weapon is crucial. Developing a load for best accuracy crucial too.

I've probably killed more game animals than anyone on this site. I target shoot.

Revolvers never jam. Revolvers are still going to fire after dropped in the mud. Revolver is a good choice for personal defance.

That's my take on the subject.

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Whitey, when I go to the range I get a latte from Starbucks on the way, park in the lot, and drink it in the air conditioned lobby.

Is that what hunting is like? Because I think I'd do ok.

Snail

We refer to people that can't take care of their game animals "dudes", a real hunter can field dress and skin their kills.

Dudes are a frequent subject of ridicule.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
shouldnt you edit the title to say
"Just shootin' this out there..."?

Doubt ysr_racer ysr_racer has the physicality to "throw" anything including a party...lol

I'm not talking about phenomenons, but local talent. 99% of the gheezers shooting plates or other competitions are all shooting revolvers.
Again, I look at shooting competitions as "combative training" and in my opinion, the guns used should be the ones you would carry.
To bring a bazooka to the competition and be super competitive with it means zero if you can't have that gun holstered when you re out and about.

That's how I look at it. Obviously not everybody sees it the same.
I've seen contraptions at the local range competitions that one could never carry concealed. I don't understand why someone would become proficient with a gun that otherwise sits in their safe.

A revolver, regardless how target savvy, to ME, is useless in a combative situation, unless you're Jerry.
That is definitely just a personal preference. I carry both on public and private property. Have revolvers that just one round will equal several of your 9mm's lol....

Target shooting and hunting are directly related. Developing skill and familiarity with the weapon is crucial. Developing a load for best accuracy crucial too.

I've probably killed more game animals than anyone on this site. I target shoot.

Revolvers never jam. Revolvers are still going to fire after dropped in the mud. Revolver is a good choice for personal defance.

That's my take on the subject.
Do you consider Feral Hogs "Game Animals"? :0 Revolvers are 100% reliable.

gsteve

BAMF+

It's apples to oranges

youre confusing hunting with shooting.

Snail

Feral hogs are not considered game animals in Oregon.

I said revolvers never "jam" that probably an exaggeration, but considering the more temperamental qualities of pistol cycling its probably safe to say a revolver is MORE reliable than a pistol.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I think i made myself perfectly clear.
He who is an ace shooting paper will suffer in the woods not due to lack of skill, but due to not having trained in the field.
Ive done enough hunts with people who claimed to be expert marksmen who under stress and harsh conditions couldn t hit a standing pig at 50 yards.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
That is definitely just a personal preference. I carry both on public and private property. Have revolvers that just one round will equal several of your 9mm's lol....
I don t shoot pigs with handguns, the pigs around here you're much safer shooting with rounds the likes of 9.3x62.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
you need both to be a proficient shooter/hunter.
Ill show you old timers that never saw what a shooting range looks like but can drop'em like nothing.
Dont get me wrong, im not anti gun ranges, i'm simply saying paper shooters dont necessarily transfer well when shooting big animals that run fast and can hurt you.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Feral hogs are not considered game animals in Oregon.

I said revolvers never "jam" that probably an exaggeration, but considering the more temperamental qualities of pistol cycling its probably safe to say a revolver is MORE reliable than a pistol.
Yeah... U do tend to exaggerate a lot

Snail

I've never had a revolver fail, regardless of ammo, dude.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
damn... Snail Snail not only defined a comedic slur but used it...lol

the irony here is if a firearm is a feminine color...will it kill, maim, or incapacitate the target just the same???

Ed

Anyone who says that revolvers are 100% reliable apparently never suffered a blown or backed-out primer, which will lock 'em up pretty convincingly.

I don t shoot pigs with handguns, the pigs around here you're much safer shooting with rounds the likes of 9.3x62.
:) Tough to carry a rifle on the ranch when you are working. :) I do not hunt pigs I eradicate them whenever possible. Thought I had the perfect carry gun for the field for them but was up at Guncrafter last week on a issue on a new build (ammunition caused) and we were discussing their Hellcat X2 Hi Cap pistol on the cover of the newest American Handgunner which is not on the stands just yet Alex gave me a advance copy last week. 20190908_134713[1].jpg … Alex is going to build me a Hellcat X2 Commander with the actual Mil-Spec anodize like on my just finished build with a SS slide and black grips.

The grip is a little bit shorter because the 9mm is shorter but because of the added girth it is overall a little bit bigger around. Very comfortable..

Ok Steve now what do you thing of this except with 18 rounds of 9x23 not 9x19???? I see this as a lot of firepower in a compact firearm! Hogs will hate it--or anything else for that matter.

gsteve

BAMF+
Looks like a lot of fun ! Im not a huge fan of anything less then 5" in a 1911 but i have never had/been allowed to carry. Do you want commander length for that reason? To get the most out of a 9x23 a 5" would be nice. Would you be reloading for it?

Anyone who says that revolvers are 100% reliable apparently never suffered a blown or backed-out primer, which will lock 'em up pretty convincingly.

That is true but save the following example have fired well over 100k out of 22lr to 454 revolvers with only this one bad gun... Had a L Frame Smith do just that... Factory ammunition -- Smith had problems with a certain serial number range of those guns I was one of the lucky people to get one. Other than that one time never had a problem. Now yes I have seen and know some idiots who like to try and load "oil sweating loads" then expect to get multiple loading out of them (10 or 20) and I just shake my head having seen primers flow back around the firing pin strike lock it up tight as a tick as they say.. Buy a pistol that chambers a more powerful round.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun ! Im not a huge fan of anything less then 5" in a 1911 but i have never had/been allowed to carry. Do you want commander length for that reason? To get the most out of a 9x23 a 5" would be nice. Would you be reloading for it?
Yes getting the 4.25 for the carry. Have a regular LWT Commander by GC in 9x23 and a full size SS 1911 by Cabot in 9x23. Will be reloading but have a few thousand loaded rounds to go through first. Winchester Silvertips. and the Winchester JSP. Have some brass ready to go as well..

Last edited:
OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

have you shot that 929 yet?
Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

Son, we have laws in California to protect the children. I can't just walk into a gun store, and walk out with a gun. What if I was mad at my neighbors?

I could buy a gun, go home, and shoot them. Forget about the two safes full of guns I already have at home.

No, the State of California knows what's best for me. So I have to wait TEN FUCKING DAYS before I can pick it up...

But wait, there's more...

My pick up date is Friday the 13th (bad jew jew) plus I'm busy that day, AND THE FUCKING GUN RANGE IS TOO BUSY ON THE WEEKENDS TO DO GUN TRANSFERS, SO I'LL PICK IT UP ON MONDAY THE 16th UNLESS THE FUCKING STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS MORE HOOPS FOR ME TO JUMP THRU.

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Yes getting the 4.25 for the carry. Have a regular LWT Commander by GC in 9x23 and a full size SS 1911 by Cabot in 9x23. Will be reloading but have a few thousand loaded rounds to go through first. Winchester Silvertips. and the Winchester JSP. Have some brass ready to go as well..
9x23 super comp for the win !!

Snail

Ed, have you had a backed out primer or blown out primer lock up a revolver?

Ed

Yes, Paul...self-inflicted, working up handloads for the .357 Maximum (it was peaky) and .375 SuperMag when there wasn't much data available for them.

Drakhen

BAMF
Ill show you old timers that never saw what a shooting range looks like but can drop'em like nothing.
Dont get me wrong, im not anti gun ranges, i'm simply saying paper shooters dont necessarily transfer well when shooting big animals that run fast and can hurt you.
So, where did these old timers gain their mythical shooting abilities? You don't magically learn to shoot moving targets without practice.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
We refer to people that can't take care of their game animals "dudes", a real hunter can field dress and skin their kills.

Dudes are a frequent subject of ridicule.
Skinned a fair amount of animals and when i say fair, i mean more than a few.
Sometimes dudes just wanna lay back with a J and watch the paid help skin shit.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
So, where did these old timers gain their mythical shooting abilities? You don't magically learn to shoot moving targets without practice.
Exactly.
They practiced by shooting at running animals every time they hunted...and they hunted often.
Some of these guys have had the same gun for 50 - 60 years. Remember, Romania was not a country where one could walk into a gun store and buy a gun and a few shells. They didn t exist. Their guns were handmedowns from prior generations, a lot of them made their own shells as there were none on the market during the 40+ yrs of communist rule.

Top Bottom