Got some fresh LED bulbs for our 2015 Fusion Titanium...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...and found out that ya gotta remove the front bumper cover to replace the fucking bulbs! Seriously?! Fucking hell!

But it'll be worth it as this POS has the WORST stock headlights I've EVER witnessed on a car. Truly abysmal.

Ed

On the topic of LED replacements, just put a set of these into the SV1000:

...so far, so good- plenty of light output with good pattern control, time will tell how long they last.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
But it'll be worth it as this POS has the WORST stock headlights I've EVER witnessed on a car. Truly abysmal.
every jeep wrangler owner laughs at this comment....

that said, I put beamtechs in all my hoopies these days....its freaking incredible how much brighter that stuff is than any old school halogen/filament bulb.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
...and found out that ya gotta remove the front bumper cover to replace the fucking bulbs! Seriously?! Fucking hell!

My wife has the first gen Fusion (2012), and it's got good headlights. (But I haven't had to change a bulb yet, hope it's not as bad as yours)

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Are they some super duper expensive name brand, or chink junk? I bought some Sylvania LED turn signal bulbs for my KDX220, they are the best LED replacements I've seen so far.

View attachment 68681
My experience with Sylvania and even GE LED's has been very poor. However, this was very early on in the LED revolution. Had major CAN-BUS issues with them.

Having said that, my experience with the "cheap Chi-Com" stuff has been exemplary. Put them in my Money Pit and my Mom's old 2001 Avalon and they've been bright and perfect for the last two years. This is what I'm putting in the POS Fusion...

Replacing the driving light assemblies as well, as the stock lights are so low that they get smashed from road debris. Hi/Lo beam bulbs, driving light bulbs, back up light bulbs, and license plate/door light bulbs. Total order ran @ $200 shipped to my door.

My wife has the first gen Fusion (2012), and it's got good headlights. (But I haven't had to change a bulb yet, hope it's not as bad as yours)
Completely different animal, which is a bonus for you. I fucking HATE this 2015 Fusion with every fiber of my being. Worst fucking car I've ever driven/owned (and I drove a '74 Ford Maverick for 2 years!). I'm only upgrading the bulbs to make it safer for my wife (when SHE asks to make the lights better, you KNOW they're bad!)

Gen 1 Fusion

Gen 2 Fusion (same color as ours, too)

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
My V70 had very poor headlights especially on dipped beam. I replaced with LED (from that Chynah!) and they are, to use a pun, brilliant. Amazing upgrade. I just whacked in some halogen Nightbreakers for the main beam and now I am very happy with my headlight setup... :up:

LE05BUSA

GFY
One side is worse than the other. Coolant overflow bottle and something else (i can't remember) have to come out, and then you need ET's fingers and his toolkit to get them in and out.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
There's no way you could rig up an AC-to-DC adaptor to work?
Yes, but that wouldn't be keeping in the spirit of 1960's Italian electrical designs. I did buy an up rated lighting coil, just have to wire it in. You should see the monkey fuck rotor puller for it. The bore where the nut fits into the rotor has a groove cut into it for a snap ring. You back the rotor nut out into the snap ring and it pulls the rotor out. Usually destroys a couple snap rings in the process.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Pretty easy to restore the plastic lens. The headlight in my '66 Vespa is rated in candle power, one to be exact. LED won't work because the lighting system is AC power.
If I put new ones in,I'll box the old ones and send them to you to clean up. We'll split the $$ when they sell on craigslist.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Just finished swapping in the new LEDs in the 2nd Gen Fusion yesterday. Wow! What a difference! I'm never not amazed by these cheap "ChiCom" LEDs. Hey, if an American company made something as good, even if it cost more, I'd buy it. But they don't, so spare me the "You support CHyyyyyna!" remarks :roll:

One side is worse than the other. Coolant overflow bottle and something else (i can't remember) have to come out, and then you need ET's fingers and his toolkit to get them in and out.
Yup, you're right. The passenger side has the windshield washer reservoir right behind the headlight. Makes it even worse if you don't pull the bumper cover off. However, the bumper cover removal is so simple, it'd just making more work for yourself trying to avoid pulling it off. Sure, there are about a dozen plastic push rivets that you need to remove, but it's a piece of cake with a cat's claw tool and a flat blade screwdriver. You actually don't need to fully remove the cover, just pull it away enough to remove the headlight assemblies.

Ended up getting the wrong bulb type for the high beams, so I had to reorder the right ones (H7). I did have to remove the fan cowling from the LED light assemblies to get them to fit into the light housings, but that was simple as well. When all was said and done, the lights are brilliant now (pun intended). The H7s I got for the high beams are 60 watts a piece and are insanely bright. Almost as bright as the off road LEDs I put on the Money Pit! Luckily, the beam can be focused manually to keep them from utterly burning the eyes right out of the heads of oncoming drivers. I'll post up a link to the H7s I used when I'm not on my phone.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
It was actually easier to just remove the plastic rivets and three screws on the top edge of the bumper cover and the 3 plastic rivets under each front wheel well. Literally took 10 minutes, and then you just remove the two Torx bolts he points out. No need to remove the adjustment bolts and fuck up your headlight adjustment. You just pull the cover forward and then you can pull the headlight housings right out. After doing this it seems a lot of those videos about how to do it without pulling the bumper cover off are done by a bunch of Bubbas who don't realize they're actually making more work for themselves.

"Work smarter, not harder" :up:

Top Bottom