Gonna start carrying a full size .45

The 1911 is a comfortable carry gun at least for me. When you say full size that leaves me out for CC because mine are all 4.25 inch Commander sized. Currently carry a 10mm Commander and have a LWT Commander in 9x23 win being built. That one will be fun.

The full size tube (5in) is not that much bigger really just a little harder to sit comfortably with it on when in CC mode.

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
The 1911 is a comfortable carry gun at least for me. When you say full size that leaves me out for CC because mine are all 4.25 inch Commander sized. Currently carry a 10mm Commander and have a LWT Commander in 9x23 win being built. That one will be fun.

The full size tube (5in) is not that much bigger really just a little harder to sit comfortably with it on when in CC mode.
...according to the paramaters of this thread that counts as "full sized"...apparently we are going by thickness...like pairs of socks...

1575397752234.png

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...I do not like the logo splashed upon it but at least it is subtle and tasteful...it should just say "Ed Brown" if anything on the non ported side, IMHO...

...but think how clean a gun would look w/o "special forces" cut into it...I'd still take it though...LoL......

...of course, my shotgun says "bounty hunter" on it...I actually got it for that job but I wish it did not say that on it...

…at least you need to squint to see it...not like that horrid Nighthawk logo...

Last edited:
...according to the paramaters of this thread that counts as "full sized"...apparently we are going by thickness...like pairs of socks...
Well Thickness has nothing to do with the difference between a 5in full sized 1911 and a 4.25 inch "Commander" . They are the same---have you been on the bong today? :)

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Y'all carry with 1 in the chamber? Some do, some don't.
Always, though I also carry with the safety on. I practice my draw regularly and train myself to turn the safety off during the draw. It's pretty much second nature now. So is setting the safety when I holster it as well.

Well Thickness has nothing to do with the difference between a 5in full sized 1911 and a 4.25 inch "Commander" . They are the same---have you been on the bong today? :)
When I posted this thread I stated that I consider the P345 a "full size" pistol due to the frame size in comparison to my other carry pieces (SR9C and an LC9S). The P345 is essentially the same size as a Commander 1911. The Commander 1911 uses the same frame as the Government 1911, so I generally consider them the same size for carry.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
just saying a .45 has the stopping power vs .22, or.38
Yes, it is a concern if your attackers are coming at you with lances or spears.
You want them to drop right there instead of killing you with the follow through by only using a .38.

A. The P345 is essentially the same size as a Commander 1911. The Commander 1911 uses the same frame as the Government 1911, so I generally consider them the same size for carry.
If you consider the 5in 1911 and the 4.25 the same because of the frame being the same then by all means use the 5in full size to gain ballistic advantages. I have carried both since I was 16 years old and for open carry always the full size 1911 and for CC the 4.25 or the Defender model which is even smaller but it is a .45 and I have moved on from the .45 years ago.

Yes, it is a concern if your attackers are coming at you with lances or spears.
You want them to drop right there instead of killing you with the follow through by only using a .38.
A 9x23 Winchester is a 38.
just saying a .45 has the stopping power vs .22, or.38
A 38 what? A 38 caliber round? If it is then the .45 is at a disadvantage of the 9mm round .355 (38sp/357 mag is a .358) I carry that operates at 55k psi. Pretty wicked.

I was referencing a bit of history you might ought to be aware of or at least your primary gunsmith would be.
I Know That LOL! They brought the old SAA's (do you know what a SAA is) back out because of that. Not quite as smart as you thought :) ! Hell read about that when was 8 years old! TR was and is my favorite President.

Last edited:
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
If you consider the 5in 1911 and the 4.25 the same because of the frame being the same then by all means use the 5in full size to gain ballistic advantages. I have carried both since I was 16 years old and for open carry always the full size 1911 and for CC the 4.25 or the Defender model which is even smaller but it is a .45 and I have moved on from the .45 years ago.
Let me clarify... for the purpose of carrying, and comparing the 1911 (Commander) to the other guns I carry, I consider the P345 more of a "full size". I'm aware of the differences, and ballistic advantage, of a Government 1911. However, I prefer (and always have) the 4.25" Commander size. It's one of the reasons I really love the P345.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I Know That LOL! They brought the old SAA's (do you know what a SAA is) back out because of that. Not quite as smart as you thought :) ! Hell read about that when was 8 years old! TR was and is my favorite President.
Yes, I do but, not the conflict or the weapon used.

Colt M1911 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol was not used during the Moro Rebellion—it was merely developed afterwards.Nonetheless, for the US military to develop a sidearm which would later become standard issue stands as a testament to the fighting prowess of the Moro. Specifically, US servicemen fighting in the Moro Rebellion were shocked that their .38 revolvers and even Krag rifles could not stop a rampaging juramentado dead in his tracks, allowing the latter to charge in and swing away.

The .45 ACP cartridge was a development of necessity. It was designed in 1904 by one of our most prolific firearms geniuses, the brilliant John Moses Browning, to be used in his newly designed Colt semi-automatic pistol.

At the time of the Moro Rebellion in the Philippines, the US Cavalry there was armed with double action handguns chambered for both the .45 Colt and .38 Long Colt cartridges, and the .30-40 Krag rifle.
The Moro insurgents proved to be a formidable opponent. Both the .38 Long Colt and the .30-40 Krag cartridges proved to be largely deficient in stopping the Moro warriors effectively.

Largely as a result of the Philippine experience and the results of the Thompson-LaGarde testing of 1904, the US Army and the US Cavalry decided that a minimum of .45 caliber would be required for any new military handgun.

At the time, Colt and John Browning were working on a .41 caliber cartridge for Browning's newly designed pistol. They then modified both the pistol and cartridge resulting in the Model 1905 pistol and the new .45 ACP cartridge.
Greatest Cartridges: The Indispensable .45 ACP | Gun Digest

Last edited:

kawachan

BAMF
Always carry one in the chamber. Who wants to say......hold on Mr perpetrator, let me load a round in my carry piece...

I guess frame sizes mostly being the same full size. Kimber being "Custom" for 5", "Pro" for 4", and "Ultra" for 3" and shorter grip plus "Compact" being 4" with a shorter grip.

I also have a 4" STI 45 with a really short grip and special mags. It is smoothed out with really thin grips. So pretty I hate to carry it...

Well not really.. Firearms history during this period was pretty dramatic. The SAA's pistols that were requested to be brought back into service were the SAA in 45 Colt and the 1878 in 45 specifically because the 38 Colt would not stop the natives lol. Do the research and you will find that it is very well documented. Later as a result of this when the 1911 was developed and of course the .45ACP part of the qualification testing for the pistol was done on a side of beef hanging and a measurement was taken to see how far it moved when the bullet impacted. When we were kids used to shoot coyotes and hang them from a tree to see how far they would move to measure the power of the cartridge lol because if the Army did it then it must work. Did not work worth a crap because there was not enough mass and the 357's and 44 mags were moving too fast but the hydrostatic was brutal. When shot they just quivered a little.

The SAA's along with the 1878 Colt were used in this war along with the 38 Colt (some call it the long Colt) which was a underpowered. You are correct that the Kraig was not effective either hence bringing back some of the old trap door models in 45-70.

As a side note you may or may not find this interesting but we also have a bunch of old WWI rifles one is a 8mm French Lebel (funny looking round) with the steel bullets (ap). To illustrate the importance of using the right bullet after I was shooting at a large flat piece of limestone turned up on its side with my 44 mag Ruger SB my first 44mag this was about 1980. The rounds were just making a kind of blue spot where they splattered on the rock. To make a point the rifle was taken down off the wall and the old WWI ammo was found in the barn and one shot broke the rock into about 4 pieces. Then another round was sent through the trunk of a very large hackberry tree and then skipped in a couple of places in the dirt road behind it on the ranch when it exited the other side.

I learned a lot that day.

Top Bottom