Gonna start carrying a full size .45

rumble phish

BAMF+
Renewing my CCW this week and I'm dropping the little .380 (never carry it) and replacing it with my P345. I can have up to three pieces on the license, so I'll be keeping the two 9mm's.

Any here carry a full size semi-auto? I was considering one of my 1911's, but I don't care for carrying an exposed and cocked hammer.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
True, but in respect to carrying it I'm considering it full size due to the frame, not the slide or barrel length.

As a side note, I prefer the 1911 Commander size to the true full size. The only full size 1911 I have right now is the double stack Rock Island. I have several 14 round mags on the way for it, but it would be far too bulky to carry, and as I said, I don't care to carry an exposed and cocked hammer.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Went from my Glock 21 to a 43x....I'll never carry full size again.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Went from my Glock 21 to a 43x....I'll never carry full size again.
What were the issues you had? The P345 is fairly slim for a "full size", much like a 1911. I'm not a Glock guy, so I'm not sure about the dimensions of the 43.

if im carrying a full size pistol, its going to be a 17/34!

all that bulk and size for 8 rounds? no thanks. heck I think it'd be more comfortable to carry two jframes in separate pockets than a 1911 (and id have 2 more rounds!)

A23

BAMF
A buddy came by with one of these tonight.

I know it ain't what you're looking for...just thought it's a nice carry piece.

IMG_20191201_182841110.jpg

Vegas12

BAMF+
What were the issues you had? The P345 is fairly slim for a "full size", much like a 1911. I'm not a Glock guy, so I'm not sure about the dimensions of the 43.
This thread is just too subjective.....

What's comfortable for me may not be comfortable to you.

My favorite carry was my Kimber UCII....but I couldn't afford to break it in and the FTF's were maddening. Everyone said to just keep shooting it but .45 rounds were pricey.

The Glock 21 is just a large gun to me. always left a visible print....

The Glock 43x is a 10 round 9mm that is very slim and just feels good in my paw.

I wear a large glove if that means anything....I'm guessing your mitts are larger.

Not a brand snob regarding guns. I can buy Glock blue label which saves some decent coin. And while not stylish they will ALWAYS fire.

My all time favorite was my 500 Magnum with 8" barrel......I seem to remember it was $3 a round to fire that beast. Yes, it was a penis enlarger but alas, all good things must come to an end.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I carried a Kimber Compact Commander for a while.
Svelte little weapon to be certain.
Very smooth operation.
The idea of having to hand in a $700.00 + weapon if I really had to use it left me reconsidering my carry so...

hedgehog

BAMF
One of my clients was the chief of the GEO (grupo espcial de operaciones).

His EDC at work and plain clothes was always a glock 21.

He wasn’t worried about it printing on his clothes.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I used to carry my 5" stainless Springfield just because I loved it so much but quickly grew out of it.

Then for a long time I carried a g23 which was MUCH better, and held 14 rounds of a hard to argue with round, gold dot .40.

Then I went to a single stack 9mm Springfield and it was even easier than the glock.

Aaaaand now I'm all the way down to a bersa thunder CC 380. Just disappears into anything including basketball shorts.

Also as someone said its easier to stomach having it taken for evidence over my precious 1911.

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
Never understood why anyone carries 45.
If you know what you are doing, 9mm is enough.
When I do carry, it's my trusty Browning High Power.

...I like having a 45 but for me a 32 is enough and I have killed most things with a 22...

...would that like average out to like 9mm...???...

...and Hapo's Novak custom HiPower in .357 sig is even more enough...but I would hate to lose that behind shooting some scumbag with it...:ducmanic:

Last edited:

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Previous carry was a P95DC. Kind of fat, but tolerable. Then I used my wife's LCP. Super compact, but I wear large L-XL gloves. It was tough to hold with more than a couple fingers on the grip. Currently I carry an LC9s. I bought an EC9s as a second carry for specific situations. I don't care for the EC9s sights, so it's a last resort, close combat, choice.

BigBusa

BAMF+
I carry a beretta pico 380 in a sneaky pete case. 99% of people don't even know I'm carrying.

20160915_200226.jpg

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Out of pure curiosity,

Can you carry a desert eagle .50 for protection ? or is it prohibited at that size?

Hapo

Dog Boy
Yep always liked my 45's since my Navy time.

My favorite is my Star PD 45.
...an overlooked yet classic icon...much like Cisco himself...(grin)

...it was ahead of it's time and the inspiration for what we have today...

...in case you are wondering, we leave that fool Zippy home, for the most part...

...we are posting from the park...

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Out of pure curiosity,

Can you carry a desert eagle .50 for protection ? or is it prohibited at that size?
As long as it is legal in California, you can put it on your carry license. However, you can quickly lose your CCW permit if you do not conceal your weapon well enough and you receive complaints. I could probably carry one easily in a shoulder rig under a light winter coat.

Z

BAMF+
Renewing my CCW this week and I'm dropping the little .380 (never carry it) and replacing it with my P345. I can have up to three pieces on the license, so I'll be keeping the two 9mm's.

Any here carry a full size semi-auto? I was considering one of my 1911's, but I don't care for carrying an exposed and cocked hammer.
Only,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 3 ??? :confused2:

No limit ,,,here........... :up:

Stetson

BAMF
I went to some training one time, in an unmarked police car. I wasn't in uniform, but policy said you have to be armed while operating a cop car. I was wearing my own 1911 .45. After explaining a couple different times to a couple different well meaning, observant but ignorant cops that, "yes, I know it's cocked, it has to be for the safety to be on", I didn't wear it to training sessions anymore. Cops generally aren't gun people. I usually wore my short barreled, Ruger .357 to those kind of situations after that. Even then, someone would occasionally ask, "What department issues those?" seemingly unaware some cops might own their own hand gun.

Now that it's cold again, I can wear my .45 whenever I want. Concealment is no longer an issue. I could have one of Rico Tubb's stubby 12gauges under my Carhartt. :biggrin: Still, it's usually my .357:up:

Permits are for Sallys. Come on up to Maine and lug what you want, permit-free.....

Dat dude,,, is a fuckin hoot.. :up:

Ya need ta watch his video bout ,,,shootin an intruder, whilst,,,,,, in da bed... :lol:
Paul Harrell is awesome. I watch all his videos. The one you are talking about is hilarious. He is also very knowledgeable and a great shot.

In this leather pouch I carry a full size glock 17 with extended baseplate, 5 inch barrel and slide mounted optic, one spare 20rd mag, wallet, keys, pen etc. I added the tape measure for scale, it’s small, I hold it in one hand with my hand at my side as you would just walking, no one ever even looks at it, most think it’s a travel kit made of fine saddle leather, when I’m feeling fashionable I can use the outer rings to hook a shoulder strap to it and wear it cross body, guitar strap works perfectly and keeps it high under my arm, it’s not the best way but it’s a damn good way to carry a real work pistol.
And in today’s society, why the fuck would you carry anything less?

54547248-A62E-475A-A453-1DC2FFCE1573.jpeg

In this leather pouch I carry a full size glock 17 with extended baseplate, 5 inch barrel and slide mounted optic, one spare 20rd mag, wallet, keys, pen etc. I added the tape measure for scale, it’s small, I hold it in one hand with my hand at my side as you would just walking, no one ever even looks at it, most think it’s a travel kit made of fine saddle leather, when I’m feeling fashionable I can use the outer rings to hook a shoulder strap to it and wear it cross body, guitar strap works perfectly and keeps it high under my arm, it’s not the best way but it’s a damn good way to carry a real work pistol.
And in today’s society, why the fuck would you carry anything less?

View attachment 27140
man id look at that and wonder why you were walking around with your toiletries in your hand.

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
[QUOTE="OptimusCrime, post: 3239131, member: 31249"... it’s not the best way but it’s a damn good way to carry a real work pistol.
And in today’s society, why the fuck would you carry anything less?[/QUOTE]

...because I can...???...

...IMHO the clutch/shoulder bag (purse) is the worst way to carry, not much better than sticking it in your belt...

...on the other hand I am a big proponent of the fanny pack...some people think it is too "obvious" but that is sort of the point...I wore one to the Boston Aquarium...

...it had a Glock 23 in it...with LASERS...!!!...
1575341911597.png

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
Out of pure curiosity,

I had my .500 before the Glocks.....I did my CCW class and qualified using the Magnum.

Had to shoot on the rifle side of the indoor range. Even with ear protection, people stopped what they were doing to see WTF made the racket when that cannon went off.

I thought for a minute about getting the spider web of harness to try and conceal it....

Dumb idea. Don't think any amount of practice could train me to draw that gun in under a minute...lol!!

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
I have carried a .380 for years because I can conceal it in a pair of gym shorts. That said I hate the round capacity at 6 + 1.

In the winter with jeans I have been able to conceal my M&P9 full size double stack, but never in the summer. I have been looking for something smaller because I want more magazine capacity.

A few nights ago a friend let me try his crossbreed super tuck iwb holster. With that holster I can conceal the M&P9 like I have never been able to before. Ordered on tonight

kawachan

BAMF
My Kimbers work just fine....must be operator error.

I used to carry an LCP or one of my Mustangs for years. I then started carrying my Solo which I traded for a G43. I now carry my 365 most of the time but also a G22 IWB if my clothes allow. Sometimes I carry one of my Carry or Compact size Kimbers depending on where I plan on traveling.

With the way these fools are acting now I don't want to be stuck with only 6 rounds or with a small caliber. That 365 is pretty nice. Plan on getting an XL pretty soon.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Kimber's are definitely pretty but I've always heard they're unreliable until you break them in. No thanks.
Out of a couple hundred rounds through the one I had, there were no FTF or FTE episodes.
The only problem I had with mine was that I kept looking at the business end of it thinking how easy it would be to end the ride...
...pre-surgery when things were looking pretty bleak so, I sold it and a GP 101 to a friend to remove the temptation.
Not wanting to leave that kind of legacy helped stop me too.

Post surgery, life got a lot better so, I started collecting again.
I just haven't gotten around to spending that kind of cash on a carry pistol.

Top Bottom