General Purpose Gun Thread

Hapo

Dog Boy
...well, that is not actually my gun nor shooting but my gun looks and shoots like that one in the "stock photo"...

...they do cost $1000...the thing is to load select pellets that are in spec and not damaged/deformed...

...@ 25 yards just a slight breeze will fuk you...

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Hit the range after work tonight.
Bought a couple boxes of AGUILA CENTERFIRE 223 REM/5.56NATO 62GR FMJBT.

Had a misfeed (correct term?) about halfway through one mag.

Wait, what's that in there?!?!

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+

CZLoco

Looks like it's still in there for the one that got stuck.
Here's a picture comparing a working round to the one stuck in the bolt carrier group.
They look the same.

EDIT:
I just checked the dented round that I brought home with me.
It has the primer in it too.
I'm pretty sure that's the round that tried to slide into home but someone was already there.

• Red
Reactions: Red
Looks like it's still in there for the one that got stuck.
Here's a picture comparing a working round to the one stuck in the bolt carrier group.
They look the same.
View attachment 106501

EDIT:
I just checked the dented round that I brought home with me.
It has the primer in it too.
I'm pretty sure that's the round that tried to slide into home but someone was already there.
There is a spent piece of brass that's probably on the floor of the range. That's what's missing the primer.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Range report for today...

Took two AR's, my son's 10/22 takedown, my Mark III 22/45, and of course my carry (SR9C).

Made a decision today that I had been hemming and hawing about for a while. Gonna toss the muzzle brakes off of the AR's. Probably going to just go with a naked barrel. Fuck, I can't stand muzzle brakes. The one on the .308 will stay because, well, it actually accomplishes what it's supposed to. It tames the kick a bit. But on an AR? WTF do you need a brake for? I only put them on there because I can't have a flash hider on the AR's in the stupid state, and I don't really like the look of a plain barreled AR. There's no kick to tame, and the pressure wave from the blast is just ridiculous. Done with. They're history.

My son is definitely improving in his shooting skills, and more importantly, in his safe handling of firearms. This was the first trip to the range where I didn't feel the need to keep him in check from horseplay and grab-assing with his friend. They both were much more mature, and both showed a lot of respect for the weapons. Feeling like a proud Papa :up:

Reinforced how much I love the Ruger SR9C. My GP100 may be my "favorite" handgun. My Dad's old 1911 may be my most "prized" handgun. But the SR9C has become my most reliable "workhorse" handgun. Balls on accurate, easy to carry, easy to handle, easy to conceal, absolutely flawless trigger, and absolutely reliable. I have NEVER had a single jam/misfire with it, even after not cleaning it after months of carrying it and letting grime and lint build up. Drew it and let 17 rounds fly at 12 yards and hit the 12" target with every shot, with 13 of the 17 rounds fired hitting within the 6" center in rapid fire (pulling the trigger as fast as I could while moving towards and across the range and keeping the center of the target in my sights. I fucking LOVE this gun.

And speaking of guns I love, the Mark III is an amazing, accurate, and incredibly frustrating gun to clean. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love to shoot it, and I HATE to clean it. Who the fuck designed the take down of this gun? It's fucking ridiculous! I'd give it up in a second for a new Mark IV, but we can't by the Mark IV new in this fucking commie state. :fu: But I wouldn't give it up for anything else. It's still a Ruger, and I'm a Ruger fan boy.

Made a decision today that I had been hemming and hawing about for a while. Gonna toss the muzzle brakes off of the AR's. Probably going to just go with a naked barrel. Fuck, I can't stand muzzle brakes. The one on the .308 will stay because, well, it actually accomplishes what it's supposed to. It tames the kick a bit. But on an AR? WTF do you need a brake for? I only put them on there because I can't have a flash hider on the AR's in the stupid state, and I don't really like the look of a plain barreled AR. There's no kick to tame, and the pressure wave from the blast is just ridiculous. Done with. They're history.
Depends on the purpose of the brake/compensator. If it's just to "tame" the recoil, then no. However, for quick, rapid shooting, the right compensator vents the muzzle blast up/down, and side to side. So in addition to lessening the recoil, it keeps the muzzle/sight on the target until YOU move it. I had an SJC Titan comp that you could shoot full auto with one hand and it would stay on target (put my upper on a work M4 lower). The previous comp (Stag 3G) was so vertically biased that it would push the muzzle down off the target.

They're more for stability during shooting than for recoil... on an AR.

CZLoco

Using the finger position A results in me shooting low & left as seen on target 1.
I then switched to finger position B and that results in target 2.

The downside is that I have to smash my hand into the grip to be able to reach my finger that far.
Does that mean the gun is too large for me? It's already got slim grips installed.

WarpSpeed WarpSpeed here's my grip picture (video) that you asked for.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Green circle is the final 9mm shooting at 7 or 10 yards, I don't remember which.
Red is the final AR shooting at 15 or 25 yards.

Rifle shooting

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Grip doesn't look bad. Arms are next.

Are your elbows locked and arms straight out in front of you or arms more relaxed and a slight bend at the elbows?

If you're using a more relaxed arm position, where is your left elbow compared to the right? Is it lower? Raise it up a bit by rotating at the shoulder. You'll end up applying a bit of that rotational force to the gun at the wrist and your shots should move towards the center.

Shooting low, I'm guessing you're anticipating recoil and dipping, or it could be sight picture or a combo.

What you really need is someone on-site to watch you shoot and offer up corrections based on observation. We all can say do this or that, but to what degree? How much is too much or too little? It's the nuances that are going to make the difference.

CZLoco

Thanks!
My elbows have a very slight bend to them.
I'll monitor left vs right height next time I go.

I've always had very, very, very tight upper back issues that probably aren't helping.
Super tight shoulders and super tight neck and super tight upper back.
Maybe I should get an oriental massage & release before going next time. :lol:

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Thanks!
My elbows have a very slight bend to them.
I'll monitor left vs right height next time I go.

I've always had very, very, very tight upper back issues that probably aren't helping.
Super tight shoulders and super tight neck and super tight upper back.
Maybe I should get an oriental massage & release before going next time. :lol:
I can relate. Letting all my breath out before squeezing the trigger seems to help. Initially lowering the gun after each shot also seems to help.

Grip overall looks pretty good. Keep consciously working on it and it will start to feel more natural. Grip is one of those things that only *you* can really tell what's going on with your hands wrapped around the gun. It's primarily for recoil management and getting the gun back on target, and secondly, stabilizing the gun for sighting purposes.

Grip tips: Squeeze the gun firmly with both hands, but not so much that you can't isolate the trigger finger from the rest of your shooting hand (more later). Wrists should be set solidly in place, elbows relaxed (not an easy concept at first), shoulders down and relaxed.

Watching your video, the shot at 2:57 shows a very pronounced flinch/anticipation. Then at the 3:05 mark, the gun shudders, rather you shudder in anticipation, but you recognize it, pause and take another second to fire the shot. Rhetorical question, but what is happening with your hands at that precise moment? That recognition is what you should focus on as far as anticipation/flinch is concerned. What is happening, is that while your trigger finger is the one operating the trigger, the whole hand is squeezing down on the grip sympathetically. The other three fingers are flinching as well. The trick is to isolate the trigger finger from the rest of your hand. The harder you grip, the harder that becomes. The only movement from your hands should be the action of pressing/pulling/pushing the trigger. Anything other movement in the hands will affect your accuracy.

At the 0:49 mark you start to pull that double action shot, but it doesn't go off until 0:52. You start the pull, get the hammer going then all of a sudden slam it through. That should be one fluid motion, no stopping.

In your video, you had a full grip on the gun from :44 until about 1:49. That's a long time for a full shooting grip. If you're shooting slow like that, max time for a full grip is two or three shots then relax the hands. Your hands will tire out really fast in slow fire. Once they get fatigued, articulating the trigger finger and isolating it from the rest of your hand becomes much more difficult, and adds to the "flinch".

A couple things to try. The DA gun helps big time. Dry fire the shit out of it, DA only. Stay conscious of what your hands feel like. Concentrate on only moving the trigger finger. Isolate that finger from the rest of your hand. Even talk to yourself a bit. Think "trigger finger only". If you recognize the rest of your hand starting to tense, relax and start over. This can obviously be done at home in a safe manner. At the range, alternate the dry fire and live fire. Try the same thing one handed. You can be every bit as accurate, as long as the trigger finger does what it's supposed to do. The only difference is less recoil management. Lots of drills can be done with a timer or timer app on your smart phone. The key is concentrating on isolating that trigger finger.

On that trigger finger placement diagram. It helps sure, but it doesn't matter what part of the finger you use if your whole hand is flinching with your trigger finger. A better diagram would mention which knuckles to loosen, and which to keep tight. Although I know of national and world champions that use all three positions.

It's as useless as this one

wheel.gif

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
On that trigger finger placement diagram. It helps sure, but it doesn't matter what part of the finger you use if your whole hand is flinching with your trigger finger. A better diagram would mention which knuckles to loosen, and which to keep tight. Although I know of national and world champions that use all three positions.

It's as useless as this one

View attachment 106554
I find this to be a much better training target.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Not a bad collection. I have the Taurus version the that little Beretta
This guy has a shitload of very nice stuff. I was wearing my Delta Elite in the Miami Classic holster. He lusted after the whole thing and offered to trade me his Sig 1911 for the Delta Elite. I kindly told him to fuck off. :biggrin:

S.C.

• Funny
Reactions: HG

rumble phish

BAMF+
So what was I doing this morning at 10:00? Drinking and playing with guns at a friend's house.

I'm not a big fan of mixing alcohol and guns, but I'm sure you're more even keeled than the average Joe :up:

Not a bad collection. I have the Taurus version the that little Beretta
I believe Taurus actually purchased a lot of Beretta's old tooling, so the Taurus versions of the 92 are practically real Berettas.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I'm not a big fan of mixing alcohol and guns, but I'm sure you're more even keeled than the average Joe :up:

I believe Taurus actually purchased a lot of Beretta's old tooling, so the Taurus versions of the 92 are practically real Berettas.
He opened that bottle and we each had the smallest taste. I proclaimed my love for it (it really is very nice), and he handed me an unopened bottle to take home.

S.C.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...did the rifle jam like that again...???...was the magazine in all the way...???...

...what ammo did the primer fall out of...???...did you ever find the case with the missing primer...???...

gsteve

BAMF+
Much longer, but I'm sure that gets better with time/practice/lots of rounds. So while it's an issue, it should not be one if I work at it.

Slow firing with the holo made me a better shooter, but that's to be expected. But this isn't on my gun for slow shooting scenarios. Follow-up shots in two shot bursts were not easy, as it took time to reacquire the target. Again, it would probably improve with time.

The bottom line is I just am so used to open sights, having used nothing but that on pistols for my entire life, that making this switch is not easy, and not something I'm sure I want to invest in. When bringing up the gun for the first shot, there were times I had to wag the gun up and down, left and right, to find the fucking red circle/dot.

S.C.
Red dots take a lot.....A LOT, of practice. For most shooting , as long as your eyes are capable of focus on the iron sights id say stick with them. Dots are much easier to shoot with once you have found it , but finding it every time is a ton of work.

kawachan

BAMF
Just a heads up on a scammer website www.ammoshopusa.com I ordered a few M1 Garands and I wanted to add to my ammo stash. I had 2 cases of ammo from the CMP, but I'm in the middle of a trade on one of them with my FFL. I found 500 rds of PRVI new ammo for $240.

I was checking out and there was no place to enter a CC. The website showed Venmo, CashApp, Paypal and something else. I clicked on the PayPal link to send me the address on "chat" They sent me something like vianaeglesias@gmail.com but wanted me to send it friends and family. Heck to the naw!!

I took a screenshot and then looked up the address on Google Street view. Address shows a noodle shop I think.
image000000(47).jpg
image000000(48).jpg.
Screenshot_20220804-152847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom