General Purpose Gun Thread

rumble phish

BAMF+
Lots of differences though. Here are a few that stood out to me.

Someone with a carry license has laws behind them when they have to use deadly force.
You're getting some legal protections that someone without the license does not get.

Also, the license allows you to carry in many places that you cannot carry without a license.
Like, if you're dropping your kids off at school... without the license you cannot have the gun in the car with you.
You cannot drive onto a school parking lot with a gun. You need to drop the kid off from outside of school property.
But with a carry license, you can actually walk all the way up to the school door as long as your gun is properly secured on your person.

Without a carry license, you cannot carry in a bar (you shouldn't anyways).
With a carry license, you can still carry in a bar (unless they have the 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 legal signs on every entranceway).

And you cannot be intoxicated and hold a gun without the carry license.
So, if you have one beer and are carrying without a license, you're breaking the law.

You can use your Texas LTC to carry in 30 other states.

Present your LTC to a cop and they instantly know you have no felonies and may be less interested in you.

Other reasons:

Four hours in person, including the two hours on the range.
Interesting. The things that really stood out to me were the "you cannot be intoxicated and hold a gun without the carry license". WTF? And "Without a carry license, you cannot carry in a bar (you shouldn't anyways). With a carry license, you can still carry in a bar". WTF? I agree with you, there should be NO carry in a bar, but it's incredible that Texas allows it, even allowing one to drink while carrying. WTF?!

And lastly, apparently, I was being generous about Texas' training requirements. 4 hours TOTAL? Wow!

rumble phish

BAMF+
Did the two-hours in-person training.
Plus the additional two-hours of range training & testing.
And just finished the four-hour online training.
Okay, went back to your first post about it. 4 hours in person, with 2 at the range, and then 4 hours online. Got it :up:

But still, having very little firearm experience yourself, do you feel you're sufficiently trained to carry a gun in public after that training? Do you feel someone who had zero firearms experience going into the training you described would be sufficiently trained to carry a firearm safely in public?

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
3. If so, it is disheartening that they require such little training for a license/permit. 2 hours in person/4 hours online? That's just ridiculous. Hell, I thought California's carry requirement was lacking at 8 hours in person classroom/8 hours in person on range! I'm a FIRM believer that one should be held to a higher standard if they want to carry a firearm in public. Understand that I think ANYONE WHO IS LEGALY ELIGIBLE to own a firearm should be able to carry it if they want to, but only with proper training/certification. My suggestion would be a minimum of 16 hours classroom/20 hours on range.
20 years ago, I took the Gunsite two day pistol class. It automatically qualified you for an Az. CCW back then. Four hours in the classroom, then a test. That was it for non-range time. We spent the rest of the first day, plus a couple hours that first night (for flashlight work), on the range, and then the entire next day on the range. I dumped more than 500 rounds down range that weekend. My knees were killing me from the drills. Was a great course.

S.C.

LE05BUSA

GFY
20 years ago, I took the Gunsite two day pistol class. It automatically qualified you for an Az. CCW back then. Four hours in the classroom, then a test. That was it for non-range time. We spent the rest of the first day, plus a couple hours that first night (for flashlight work), on the range, and then the entire next day on the range. I dumped more than 500 rounds down range that weekend. My knees were killing me from the drills. Was a great course.

S.C.
When I got my AZ (and UT) permit, it was much the same.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
But still, having very little firearm experience yourself, do you feel you're sufficiently trained to carry a gun in public after that training? Do you feel someone who had zero firearms experience going into the training you described would be sufficiently trained to carry a firearm safely in public?
Me? Yes and no. I feel like I did when Dad pushed me into the deep end of the pool.
I knew how to swim but....

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Me? Yes and no. I feel like I did when Dad pushed me into the deep end of the pool.
You'll get used to it. I open carry almost every day, and carry concealed quite often. In the beginning, it felt a little odd, but not any more.

S.C.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Same with me. I've been around firearms since I was 7 years old. My Dad took me to the range quite often, and he was a LEO. I'm a certified NRA Range Master (for whatever that's worth) and taught many Cub and Boy scouts how to shoot, both rifle and archery. But I honestly did not feel I was trained enough to responsibly carry in public. It is a HUGE responsibility, no matter who will cry about it being a fundamental right (to which I agree), but like Uncle ben told Peter Parker "With great power comes great responsibility". I took it upon myself to take a defensive pistol class, as well as an "Urban Carbine" class and to dedicate 3-4 hours per week to draw drills and range time.

You'll get used to it. I open carry almost every day, and carry concealed quite often. In the beginning, it felt a little odd, but not any more.

S.C.
Absolutely. Soon enough, it'll feel weird NOT to carry when in public. I never leave home without it, and it's on my person 99% of the time I'm at home.

I'm not actually planning to carry.
I just wanted the benefits and training that go with it.
You should absolutely carry, especially now that you will be licensed. Remember, it's better to have it with you and not need it, than to need it and not have it with you. Of course, you should do what you're comfortable with.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
You should absolutely carry, especially now that you will be licensed. Remember, it's better to have it with you and not need it, than to need it and not have it with you. Of course, you should do what you're comfortable with.
I have the luxury of living in a safe area.
Anything can and does still happen.

I may change my mind in the future, who knows.
I've had to think about situations lately that I've never had to think about before.
Like, how should I react in certain situations.
When is it okay to use deadly force vs just punching someone in the nose?

What are some situations I've experienced in my life when I've gotten mad and wanted to fight someone.
Would I have done things differently if I had a gun with me?
Because you can't go around getting into hand fights if you're carrying.
That's about as dumb as getting drunk and going into a bar while carrying.

Lots of lines in the sand need to be drawn up in my head about various things.
Things I've had the luxury of not having to think through before.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I have the luxury of living in a safe area.
Anything can and does still happen.

I may change my mind in the future, who knows.
I've had to think about situations lately that I've never had to think about before.
Like, how should I react in certain situations.
When is it okay to use deadly force vs just punching someone in the nose?

What are some situations I've experienced in my life when I've gotten mad and wanted to fight someone.
Would I have done things differently if I had a gun with me?
Because you can't go around getting into hand fights if you're carrying.
That's about as dumb as getting drunk and going into a bar while carrying.

Lots of lines in the sand need to be drawn up in my head about various things.
Things I've had the luxury of not having to think through before.
I know exactly how you feel. If you carry, it's a damn good idea to have carry insurance. I used to be much more of a hothead. Nothing cools your jets like carrying a gun, or at least it should. Unfortunately, for some, it merely emboldens them. Usually, it's those that don't bother getting the permit, or taking adequate training. You really have to take a deep look into yourself before you decide to carry on a daily basis. Many questions should be addressed, not the least of which is "Will I be able to pull the trigger when I have to?". You learn to keep your head on a swivel, always looking for an "out" or a "plan B". You learn to walk away from, or to not even address, a slight or some perceived disrespect.

As for your statement "When is it okay to use deadly force vs just punching someone in the nose?" well, it's NEVER okay to punch someone in the nose unless they swing first. Words are not worth engaging in a physical confrontation over, and if one feels they are that is a strong indication of an immature attitude. And immaturity can land you in jail, or the morgue, quicker than one realizes.

And as for another comment you made "Because you can't go around getting into hand fights if you're carrying." you're absolutely right. Hell, you can't even get into a verbal altercation, lest it devolve into a physical confrontation where you felt you needed to pull your gun. That situation would be turned around and used against you in a court faster than you could blink.

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
Was that standing, one-hand? If so, strong or weak hand? I'll be at the range this Friday. I'll post up pics of my target with my Ruger Mark II @ 25 yards. Just let me know the details.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Was that standing, one-hand? If so, strong or weak hand? I'll be at the range this Friday. I'll post up pics of my target with my Ruger Mark II @ 25 yards. Just let me know the details.
Ok, here's today's 25 yard target. High Standard Supermatic Trophy, iron sights, standing, strong hand, outdoor range.

I added the red dots over the bullet holes to make them easier to see.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Just picked up three more mags for my Mark III 22/45 (10 rounders) and two more for my LC9s (extended 9 rounders). I usually buy my magazines from GunMagWarehouse, but initially purchased these from Grab-A-Gun. Big mistake, and as usual, I should've checked with GMW first. They had'em for almost $5 less per mag, and then shipping was $15 less. Cancelled my order with Grab-A-Gun and placed a new order with GMW. Saved over $40 :up;

Where do you guys buy your magazines from?

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Just picked up three more mags for my Mark III 22/45 (10 rounders) and two more for my LC9s (extended 9 rounders). I usually buy my magazines from GunMagWarehouse, but initially purchased these from Grab-A-Gun. Big mistake, and as usual, I should've checked with GMW first. They had'em for almost $5 less per mag, and then shipping was $15 less. Cancelled my order with Grab-A-Gun and placed a new order with GMW. Saved over $40 :up;

Where do you guys buy your magazines from?
Gun mag warehouse

rumble phish

BAMF+
That's damn good shooting.
Thanks. I know we give you a lot of shit, but I don't think I'd do as well as you in competition. This was one shot, gun down, relax, shake it off, raise the gun, aim, take the shot, repeat. Probably one shot every 10-15 seconds. The second shot was the flier in the upper left.

Top Bottom