General Purpose Gun Thread

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter

kawachan

BAMF
Just sold my two Brigade Firearms BF-9 AR 9mm "pistols" to buy a CZ Scorpion. I don't think they were going to pass the new ATF 's final draft on what is a pistol and what is an SBR. I had a short one and a 7" barrel I think.

The threads on the short one didn't get all the way to the base of the barrel. Also, the mini can was under the hand guard and cut in such a way where I couldn't reliably attach my old LaFrance suppressor reliably without having a mangled handguard. After 3-4 tries using their online customer service tool, I just gave up. They both used Glock mags which was cool, but I sold all my extras to the new owner.

I also ordered a new YHM 7.62 can and a 9mm / 300 BO / multi use can using 1/2 X 28 threads instead of the 36 thread of the old LaFrance can. Brace is out of stock, but I'm going to SBR the CZ as well. I've got somebody who wants that old 9mm Pringles can. I'll have to pay a $200 fee to transfer it to my dealer, but I'll come out alright.

admin fixed picture rotation

Last edited by a moderator:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Also 18+1 capacity is nice.
For next year, I was thinking of upgrading my 92's 15 round mags for Mec-Gar 20 round.
Just because more is better, right?

I also want to upgrade the trigger pull next year.
Both the dual-single and single action are pretty heavy right now.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
For next year, I was thinking of upgrading my 92's 15 round mags for Mec-Gar 20 round.

View attachment 105929

View attachment 105932
I'm just not a fan of extended magazines.

Consider a gunsmith who specializes in or is extremely familiar with that model. Or better yet, consult WarpSpeed. I trust him totally with anything firearm related.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I picked up four factory 17 round mags for my Ruger SR9C, and I picked up four 15 rounds mags for my double stack 1911 (.45acp). I also picked up two 30 round mags for my Ruger PCC.

I always prefer factory mags if I can get them. If not factory, I like MecGar and Wilson Combat. I generally don't care for ProMag, but the 30 rounders for the PCC are ProMags and they actually work great.

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I went out looking for a Colt 1911 in 9mm today. I failed, but came home with a Holosun for the Walther.

Quoting myself here. Took the gun out to the range and sighted in the Holo. I'm not a fan. I prefer open sights. I may just park this fucking thing and go back to open sights. We'll see. Maybe I'll try it one more time, but I put 100 rounds through the gun today, and I find the Holo to be too foreign to me.

S.C.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Quoting myself here. Took the gun out to the range and sighted in the Holo. I'm not a fan. I prefer open sights. I may just park this fucking thing and go back to open sights. We'll see. Maybe I'll try it one more time, but I put 100 rounds through the gun today, and I find the Holo to be too foreign to me.

S.C.
Curious about the things you didn't like. Target acquisition time?

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Natchez Shooters has Federal Small Pistol Primers. You can order 10,000.

98 bucks per 1,000, 20 shipping, 20 hazmat, 75 sales tax.

Hey at least they got them.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Curious about the things you didn't like. Target acquisition time?
Much longer, but I'm sure that gets better with time/practice/lots of rounds. So while it's an issue, it should not be one if I work at it.

Slow firing with the holo made me a better shooter, but that's to be expected. But this isn't on my gun for slow shooting scenarios. Follow-up shots in two shot bursts were not easy, as it took time to reacquire the target. Again, it would probably improve with time.

The bottom line is I just am so used to open sights, having used nothing but that on pistols for my entire life, that making this switch is not easy, and not something I'm sure I want to invest in. When bringing up the gun for the first shot, there were times I had to wag the gun up and down, left and right, to find the fucking red circle/dot.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Natchez Shooters has Federal Small Pistol Primers. You can order 10,000.

98 bucks per 1,000, 20 shipping, 20 hazmat, 75 sales tax.

Hey at least they got them.
Fuck that.......for now. Hopefully prices come down by the time I need more.

S.C.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Much longer, but I'm sure that gets better with time/practice/lots of rounds. So while it's an issue, it should not be one if I work at it.

Slow firing with the holo made me a better shooter, but that's to be expected. But this isn't on my gun for slow shooting scenarios. Follow-up shots in two shot bursts were not easy, as it took time to reacquire the target. Again, it would probably improve with time.

The bottom line is I just am so used to open sights, having used nothing but that on pistols for my entire life, that making this switch is not easy, and not something I'm sure I want to invest in. When bringing up the gun for the first shot, there were times I had to wag the gun up and down, left and right, to find the fucking red circle/dot.

S.C.
I am NOWHERE as experienced as you, but had the exact same issues. A second quick shot was all but impossible.

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated!

CZLoco

I read that the holo sights are the best type of sight for someone with Astigmatism (like me).
I doubt I'll be looking for a sight for my pistol but next year I'll probably research them for the rifle.

Wretch

amazingly graceful

S.C.

Took me 50 rounds just to get used to it, then another 60 rounds to get it sighted in.

To be fair, the pistol itself is is still new to me as well and I really need to put a few hundred mire rounds through it.

The Sig is in even greater need of many rounds run through it.

Soon! Hopefully.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Took me 50 rounds just to get used to it, then another 60 rounds to get it sighted in.

To be fair, the pistol itself is is still new to me as well and I really need to put a few hundred mire rounds through it.

The Sig is in even greater need of many rounds run through it.

Soon! Hopefully.
I had this sighted in within ten shots. That was the easy thing.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I had this sighted in within ten shots. That was the easy thing.
What is it about the sights that bugs you?
I'm at the no other options point here, if I want to hit the target anymore.
Iron sights, I can either see the front and rear sight and not the target
or I can see only the front sight, kind of, and the target.

Consistency is what I'm looking for with mine, I mean I can hit the paper every time.
It's just the groupings have been moving around but, that can be sorted, with more time.
Mostly my changing how I grip it to see if something works better.
I do think I have the best one worked out now.

I've just had wheel guns for pistols for the past 23 years or so.
They just plain work.
The last semi-auto was a Kimber Compact Commander II .45 and I sold it in 97' or 98'.
An HK USP .45 before that, which was literally a brick.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
What is it about the sights that bugs you?
I'm at the no other options point here, if I want to hit the target anymore.
Iron sights, I can either see the front and rear sight and not the target
or I can see only the front sight, kind of, and the target.

Consistency is what I'm looking for with mine, I mean I can hit the paper every time.
It's just the groupings have been moving around but, that can be sorted, with more time.
Mostly my changing how I grip it to see if something works better.
I do think I have the best one worked out now.

I've just had wheel guns for pistols for the past 23 years or so.
They just plain work.
The last semi-auto was a Kimber Compact Commander II .45 and I sold it in 97' or 98'.
An HK USP .45 before that, which was literally a brick.
Of course, being a human and not liking change is part of it. But even trying to accept change, I still didn't like the use of the optic. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

If it works for you, then by all means, use one. For me, I'm not yet a fan.

S.C.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...this could be because you are still trying to use it as a "scope"...

...try to look at the target and just put the "sights" on it like you usually do...

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
...this could be because you are still trying to use it as a "scope"...

...try to look at the target and just put the "sights" on it like you usually do...
Not doing that. It's clearly just trying to overcome a lifetime habit of open sights on pistols.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Still have to aquire a sight picture. That red dot isn't always readily apparent. I guess the answer here is practice, practice, practice. Repeat.
I did pick up some taller front and rear sights just for the 507c Holosun so I can co-witness and more easily find the dot...

...I still haven't installed them yet as I plan to use them on the 4" PDP instead of the 4.5".

Too much going on just now to fuck with the guns very much.
I'll have some time to play soon though.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Someone recently told me "the need for a second shot outweighs ensuring accuracy"
I understood that, but was difficult to implement in practice. Good conversation, I'm listening

Dragon 350

BAMF

View attachment 105929

View attachment 105932

The best way to upgrade the trigger is to buy a 1911 or other pistol that has a good trigger, glock isn't known for a good trigger, most of the striker fired are not that great.

CZLoco

Did the two-hours in-person training.
Plus the additional two-hours of range training & testing.
Got fingerprinted. They do all ten fingers and even the left & right sides of your fingers.
And just finished the four-hour online training.
And got a 100% on the 25 question exam which was very easy.
Now to submit the paperwork online and then wait 2-4 weeks for my carry license to show up in the mail!

Hapo

Dog Boy
Based on that, I'll be buying the next lunch.

S.C.
Just sold my two Brigade Firearms BF-9 AR 9mm "pistols" to buy a CZ Scorpion. I don't think they were going to pass the new ATF 's final draft on what is a pistol and what is an SBR. I had a short one and a 7" barrel I think.

The threads on the short one didn't get all the way to the base of the barrel. Also, the mini can was under the hand guard and cut in such a way where I couldn't reliably attach my old LaFrance suppressor reliably without having a mangled handguard. After 3-4 tries using their online customer service tool, I just gave up. They both used Glock mags which was cool, but I sold all my extras to the new owner.

View attachment 105934

I also ordered a new YHM 7.62 can and a 9mm / 300 BO / multi use can using 1/2 X 28 threads instead of the 36 thread of the old LaFrance can. Brace is out of stock, but I'm going to SBR the CZ as well. I've got somebody who wants that old 9mm Pringles can. I'll have to pay a $200 fee to transfer it to my dealer, but I'll come out alright.

admin fixed picture rotation

• Red
Reactions: Red

rumble phish

BAMF+
Did the two-hours in-person training.
Plus the additional two-hours of range training & testing.
Got fingerprinted. They do all ten fingers and even the left & right sides of your fingers.
And just finished the four-hour online training.
And got a 100% on the 25 question exam which was very easy.
Now to submit the paperwork online and then wait 2-4 weeks for my carry license to show up in the mail!
View attachment 106080

View attachment 106081
A couple of thoughts here...

1. I thought Texas was always an "open" carry state and/or just recently became a "Constitutional" carry state.
2. Was what you completed for a "concealed" carry permit?
3. If so, it is disheartening that they require such little training for a license/permit. 2 hours in person/4 hours online? That's just ridiculous. Hell, I thought California's carry requirement was lacking at 8 hours in person classroom/8 hours in person on range! I'm a FIRM believer that one should be held to a higher standard if they want to carry a firearm in public. Understand that I think ANYONE WHO IS LEGALY ELIGIBLE to own a firearm should be able to carry it if they want to, but only with proper training/certification. My suggestion would be a minimum of 16 hours classroom/20 hours on range.

Kirk

BAMF
A couple of thoughts here...

1. I thought Texas was always an "open" carry state and/or just recently became a "Constitutional" carry state.
2. Was what you completed for a "concealed" carry permit?
3. If so, it is disheartening that they require such little training for a license/permit. 2 hours in person/4 hours online? That's just ridiculous. Hell, I thought California's carry requirement was lacking at 8 hours in person classroom/8 hours in person on range! I'm a FIRM believer that one should be held to a higher standard if they want to carry a firearm in public. Understand that I think ANYONE WHO IS LEGALY ELIGIBLE to own a firearm should be able to carry it if they want to, but only with proper training/certification. My suggestion would be a minimum of 16 hours classroom/20 hours on range.
How much "training" do you think people should be subjected to before being legally allowed to exercise their First Amendment right to freedom of speech?

rumble phish

BAMF+
Who died and made you king?
Nobody. It's my SUGGESTION, you fucking half-dick Heeb :fu: :lol:

How much "training" do you think people should be subjected to before being legally allowed to exercise their First Amendment right to freedom of speech?
At least enough to earn them a high school diploma or GED (or enough to pass the US Citizenship test).

CZLoco

Lots of differences though. Here are a few that stood out to me.

Someone with a carry license has laws behind them when they have to use deadly force.
You're getting some legal protections that someone without the license does not get.

Also, the license allows you to carry in many places that you cannot carry without a license.
Like, if you're dropping your kids off at school... without the license you cannot have the gun in the car with you.
You cannot drive onto a school parking lot with a gun. You need to drop the kid off from outside of school property.
But with a carry license, you can actually walk all the way up to the school door as long as your gun is properly secured on your person.

Without a carry license, you cannot carry in a bar (you shouldn't anyways).
With a carry license, you can still carry in a bar (unless they have the 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 legal signs on every entranceway).

And you cannot be intoxicated and hold a gun without the carry license.
So, if you have one beer and are carrying without a license, you're breaking the law.

You can use your Texas LTC to carry in 30 other states.

Present your LTC to a cop and they instantly know you have no felonies and may be less interested in you.

Other reasons:

2 hours in person/4 hours online?
Four hours in person, including the two hours on the range.

Top Bottom