General Purpose Gun Thread

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Apparently jury selection has changed. I got my paperwork and did a preliminary questionnaire a few weeks ago. Today, I got another letter, directing me to another questionnaire. This one actually provided details on the case. It's a case involving straw purchases. They asked me how I felt about the ATF (not favorably), how I felt about guns, etc. I answered honestly, and it would not surprise me if I get kicked out before I'm even in.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I hope there is a range report coming

-
I can tell you I fucking love mine. As with every gun I own, it shoots better than I ever could. 100% reliable so far, with several hundred rounds through it.

S.C.

The gun is indeed righteous and needs a little adjusting to get the rear sights where I like them.

All the shooting was done yesterday at a friend's place, out in the middle of nowhere and I have to say, the 10mm has a nice bark and a not unreasonable bite when you squeeze the trigger, from the safe end.
The shot groups were very nice out of the box...
...on the shots I didn't pull and once I figured how I was going to grip it.
I did put the number II back strap on it this morning and it really tightened up the loose spots on my palm when aiming, dry.

I'm not so sure about it being my primary carry though as it is a little bulkier than some other compacts I've been fingering.
Not settled on the Walther compact version now but, I am being drawn to the Sig 9mm, without the optics just based on convenience of size. ease of draw.

Decisions, decisions! :smile2:

I got few shots of the setup, where we were shooting but, no target shots as we were too busy bullshitting and catching up as it's been a few years since we've been out shooting together.
I planned on getting some shots today but, we got rained/stormed out of shooting.

Good food was enjoyed and a few beers put away last night.

I had to head back home through the storm today but, made it safely.

It may be tomorrow before I get the pictures up.

My body is screaming "Fuck You!" at me right now so, I'm going to eat a bite and have a nice rest, hopefully.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Some shots from Friday.

Started 30 miles into my 90 mile one way journey with a stop by the 96 year old's place in the big city.
As I got out I saw the sky blooming into this, the shots leading up to it were drab until this moment:

With my appointments and most of the day behind me, I settled into the fun stuff at my friend's fairly isolated place where he has a decent shooting lane set up.
It was cold as fuck still but, that had little effect on the activities and new toy:

The white target to the left, 10 yards away, that we used the pistols on.

Further down the road, just beyond the pistol target, we had some steel setup to plink with the AR556, about 75 yards but,
it didn't plink or ring, it just went right through the 1/4 mild steel.

This is looking to the right of the shooting bench, toward the lake and his home below the hilltop.
It was a beautiful day, in spite on the cold as much fun and bullshit was shared.

Maybe next time I'll get some more shots of the place.
There is a much longer range too, reaching out to just beyond 500 yards but, we didn't get a chance because of the weather change, as mentioned previously.

Rocco

BAMF
I have to say, the 10mm has a nice bark and a not unreasonable bite when you squeeze the trigger

Good write. You match what I was told about that gun, being that the recoil is not all that bad considering it's weight range and power. A 10mm is about the only common pistol caliber that I haven't owned. I was curious about kick on that gun

-

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Heading out to test some new .45 ACP loads. Got a new tripod for the chrono. Originally, I picked up a cheap tripod, because I was literally on my way to the range with the chrono for the first time. Fucking POS. Then a coworker texted me that she had a tripod she grabbed off Nextdoor for free. It's a sturdy beast.

Bringing out the Savage .22 for some shooting with various brands of ammo, to see if the extractor problem (FTE) is ammo related.

I'm also going to lob a few rounds at a target at 25 yards, so YSR has to buy me lunch.

S.C.

I've got one. Russian made. I rarely use it. Also, picking the 9x18 brass out of the 9x19 is a pain in the ass.

S.C.
Seemed like most of the Makarov cases were steel, so a good magnet through the range pick-up bag would get a decent bit of it. Still gotta lookout for .380 and 9x21 stuff though.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Seemed like most of the Makarov cases were steel, so a good magnet through the range pick-up bag would get a decent bit of it. Still gotta lookout for .380 and 9x21 stuff though.
I've got a bunch of brass 9X18, but yes, the steel stuff is more prevalent. It's also easy to spot when sorting brass. .380 jumps out at me too. No problem finding that shit. I can't stand the .380 round. Last ditch round, more or less, but one of my favorite guns is a .380.

S.C.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter

kawachan

BAMF
Here's an interesting article.

Discuss (after you've actually read the thing. It's not a long read...)

New study on firearm caliber questions the notion that ‘guns don’t kill people’ - News @ Northeastern - News @ Northeastern
I like how he split it up into 3 caliber ranges. But a 22 inside (probably close 5-15 feet) with a well placed shot will definitely kill a fella just as quick or quicker than a large caliber errant shot from a 9mm.

Wasn't surprised by male Hispanic and black gang members being @90% of the ones being perforated.

Drakhen

BAMF
Most important thing I took from the numbers in that article is that you should shoot someone several times and try to put at least one or two in the brain.

Not exactly news to any of us who've done any serious reading on the subject.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I thought there was a general chat thread for guns. Couldn't find it. So, here we go.

My latest purchase.

Total impulse buy. KelTecPLR-22. I was in WalMart for some other things yesterday, and wandered over to the gun counter to see if they had any 3" shells for my Mossberg. Nada, but I saw a few bricks of 22LR, so I grabbed them, even though I don't own anything that shoots 22LR. Then I came home and searched for my first 22LR gun to buy for the ammo I already had. Sportsmans is out of most everything but this KelTec. So, there it is. I really would have liked to try the H&K 416 in 22LR, but it's out of stock. I'm still going to get the H&K when I can find one.

I also want a basic bolt action, single shot, peep sight rifle like I grew up with. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

S.C.
So the gun that started this thread is now gone, and I don't miss it. I traded it, plus a couple hundred, for this puppy.

Love the grip. The trigger is a tiny bit scratchy, but has a real nice reset. I'll look into improving the scratchy trigger.

Came with three 17 round mags. I think I'll put a light on it and make it my new nightstand gun.

S.C.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
So the gun that started this thread is now gone, and I don't miss it. I traded it, plus a couple hundred, for this puppy.

Love the grip. The trigger is a tiny bit scratchy, but has a real nice reset. I'll look into improving the scratchy trigger.

Came with three 17 round mags. I think I'll put a light on it and make it my new nightstand gun.

S.C.
I'm more of a revo fan

Top Bottom