General Purpose Gun Thread

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
The worst thing about the trigger pull on that thing, was how shitty and scratchy it was, getting to where it breaks. I assume some of your suggested mods would clear that up.

S.C.
I would be willing to bet a good amount of that scratchiness was probably the gun being dry where the trigger bar and connector interface. Even new out of the box they're dry and need lubrication, it says so right in the manual. The polishing helps refine the feel and the spring change lightens it up overall. One drop of oil makes a lot of difference.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I would be willing to bet a good amount of that scratchiness was probably the gun being dry where the trigger bar and connector interface. Even new out of the box they're dry and need lubrication, it says so right in the manual. The polishing helps refine the feel and the spring change lightens it up overall. One drop of oil makes a lot of difference.
I'd consider one, but my next 10mm is the Springfield Ronin....if I can ever find one. I promised myself that no matter what, if I walk into a gun store and see one, I'm taking it home.

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I'd consider one, but my next 10mm is the Springfield Ronin....if I can ever find one. I promised myself that no matter what, if I walk into a gun store and see one, I'm taking it home.

S.C.
Nicely built 1911's are a whole different world, Hell yes get the Ronin! We have a pre-owned 9mm Ronin at the shop and it's really nice.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Nicely built 1911's are a whole different world, Hell yes get the Ronin! We have a pre-owned 9mm Ronin at the shop and it's really nice.
I know there is no comparison between a plastic gun and a 1911. I was just talking caliber. I already have a Delta Elite, which is real nice. I just want another 1911 to hang in the safe, hence the Ronin.

BTW, how much for that 9mm?

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I know there is no comparison between a plastic gun and a 1911. I was just talking caliber. I already have a Delta Elite, which is real nice. I just want another 1911 to hang in the safe, hence the Ronin.

BTW, how much for that 9mm?

S.C.
Let me find out this coming week. I'll get pics and details.

kawachan

BAMF
I noticed a local Walmart I visited had reloading accessories. Also the rifle ammo is steadily rising in price. That 308 Federal that was 19.97 a couple of months ago is now 24.97. Local dealer told me most of the rifle stuff he has looked up on the distributor's page has gone up an average of $10 a box.
20211227_135150.jpg

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
No, I put in a "notify me" when Clays was back in stock at Brownell's. They did a few days ago.

$30 a pound, plus $19 hazmat plus $11 shipping. Limit 2

So $50 a pound.
I found a place online that will cost me $131 for four pounds, shipped. I think I may go with that. It's way more than I need right now, but it will surely get used.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I'm loading 3 grains of Clays behind a 160gr bullet. I think there's 6 or 7 thousand grains in a pound.

I get like a million rounds out of one pound.
I'm actually a little stumped here, because I should have got over 1,000 rounds out of the Bullseye, yet I'm coming up short. I've checked the powder charge weight several times while knocking out the .45 rounds, and it's always spot on at 5.5 grains. That should yield about 1,200 rounds. Maybe I've been counting wrong, and I made more ammo than I thought.

S.C.

Stetson

BAMF+
Has Cisco posted any Youtube videos of how to make your own gunpowder yet? I don't watch them all...

I have a half full, 8 pound container of Hercules Unique smokeless powder sitting under my work bench in the garage, got to be at least 20 years old. An old woman gave me after her husband passed. I'd never use it for reloading, but I'm going to make a giant firecracker one of these days. :up:

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Use WW231
Can't find it right now, and this is a matter of keeping the assembly line moving. New powder means new test loads, another trip to the outdoor range with the chrono, etc. I'm not against that, but it's a last resort.

BTW, just two weeks ago, I finished up some 20+ year old loads I made using 231. Was a good powder back then. I'm sure it still is.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I picked up 1,000 large pistol primers, and 1,000 small pistol primers at Cabela's today. They had lots. They were also $80 for 1,000. Twice what I paid for primers a little over a year ago. Doing the math, still, I'm way ahead. I'm knocking out a 50 round box of 9mm for about $10.50, and not a lot more for .45 ACP.

S.C.

gsteve

BAMF+
I picked up 1,000 large pistol primers, and 1,000 small pistol primers at Cabela's today. They had lots. They were also $80 for 1,000. Twice what I paid for primers a little over a year ago. Doing the math, still, I'm way ahead. I'm knocking out a 50 round box of 9mm for about $10.50, and not a lot more for .45 ACP.

S.C.
Geezez. In the 90s I was paying $10/1000 🤯

Drakhen

BAMF
Do we really want to think about the 90's prices? I think I was paying about $15/1000 for small rifle primers, $16/500 for cast 40 cal bullets and about $18/lb for powder.

As bad as reloading supply prices are now, it's almost not worth the trouble to reload handgun ammo or. 223. For me at least.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Do we really want to think about the 90's prices? I think I was paying about $15/1000 for small rifle primers, $16/500 for cast 40 cal bullets and about $18/lb for powder.

As bad as reloading supply prices are now, it's almost not worth the trouble to reload handgun ammo or. 223. For me at least.
As I stated, it's costing me about $10.50 a box for 9mm. You go ahead and find 9mm for that price now.

Don't even get me started on.44 Magnum prices. I'm saving a shitload.

S.C.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Pawn shop find. Ruger P-97 .45, never used. Got it for $315.00. cleaned it up, lubed, took apart mags to look for rust and we're good to go. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

View attachment 87587
Fuck yeah! That thing is a fucking tank, not to mention an accurate and smooth shooter :up:

Should never had sold mine. I sold it and picked up my second Ruger P345, which I like even better. It's a little more refined and comfortable but I loved my P-97 ❤

You'll love it :up:

Top Bottom