General Purpose Gun Thread

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Ruger American Ranch chambered in 5.56, shooting Aguilar 62 grain. 50 yards. Put two bullets through the same hole. This rifle is more accurate than I will ever be.

MVIMG_20211118_091148.jpg

Out at 100 yards, I suck.

MVIMG_20211118_092249.jpg

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Not yet. The sample sheet has some quality issues that need to be addressed. Let me see what the next one they send looks like.
Don't sweat it. I just showed her the pics, and while she hates Biden just as much as the rest of us, she politely declined the option.

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
A customer brought in a CZ P10F for a holster build..and this one's chambered in 45ACP. Nice gun in hand, much better than the Glock 21's very large grip. Trigger isn't bad either out of the box but it certainly could be smoothed out and lightened a bit. Not that it's very practical or would serve a specific need, but I do miss having a high capacity 45.

84165 84166

rumble phish

BAMF+
And this old tank came in, too. S&W 669. If you run out of ammo, the gun is probably more deadly when used as a bludgeoning tool.

View attachment 84175 View attachment 84176
Had one of those, but with the longer slide. Should've never sold it. Great shooter. So heavy that the perceived recoil felt like a .380. Super easy to keep your sights on target and make quick follow up shots.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Worked up some .45 ACP loads this morning and then hit the range with the chronograph.

MVIMG_20211126_101710.jpg

200 Gr. RNFP coated bullets from Gallant. 5.5 Gr. of Bullseye. The below data is through my Taurus with e 5" barrel.

Screenshot_20211126-150527.png

This combination really also works very well in my finicky Colt Lightweight Officer's model.

Screenshot_20211126-151148.png

I'll be getting down and loading 1,000 of this combination this week.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
A little more data on those loads through the 5" Taurus.

So, according to the Lyman reloading data on a 200 Gr. HP, which is the closest thing I could find to a 200 Gr. RNFP, which I used, I am right on the edge as far as FPS, but I also loaded my rounds two tenths of a grain less than max load. I know that jacketed bullets need a little more push compared to lead bullets, meaning given everything being the same, except for the bullet being jacketed or lead, the lead bullet is easier to push down the barrel, creating higher velocities with the same amount of powder. So, I'll have to assume here, that since my bullets are a polymer coated lead bullet, they will fall into the same scenario as a plain lead bullet, or at least, close. That seems to prove itself with the above data.

I really like this load and bullet so far. The fact that it ran perfectly through my little Colt is an excellent sign. That fucking thing chokes on SWC bullets, and unfortunately, I had a bunch of those for a while. But I think I used up the last of them today......Unless I find a surprise box or two sitting in the back of the safe. That gun also does not like light loads. These are not light loads. I think I found the sweet spot.

S.C.

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red
I've reloaded many 45s. I have no desire to do it anymore. It's fun though.

If it likes a hotter load, recoil spring.

It seems a lot of people like to go as far as they can with powder/power, I think the move is to get more rounds down range.

I used to use a non jacketed semi wad cutter, 185, 200. Jacketed as well.

Make practice cheap!

I fired over 1100 rounds in one day out of that 45.

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I've reloaded many 45s. I have no desire to do it anymore. It's fun though.

If it likes a hotter load, recoil spring.
Yeah, it may need one. Not sure yet. We'll see how it behaves after a few hundred rounds.

It seems a lot of people like to go as far as they can with powder/power, I think the move is to get more rounds down range.
Whatchoo talkin' about Willis?

My preference is to load my target rounds to what a defensive round would be flying at. I think I'm in that ballpark.

I used to use a non jacketed semi wad cutter, 185, 200. Jacketed as well.
As well? I'm saying nothing I use at this point is jacketed.

Make practice cheap!
Impossible in 2021. :biggrin:

I fired over 1100 rounds in one day out of that 45.
That's a shitload of rounds. My biggest day was probably 300, when I took the Gunsite two day pistol course. I was happy to end the day.

S.C.

You got it.

My favorite 45 had too soft recoil spring, that's why the previous owner sold it. 245$ Dummy. Total custom combat commander. Dummy.

No reason to go over recommended breach pressures.

Unless you want to blow it up in your hands.
Too much will break the barrel link. A buffer will help.
I've seen too many that blew up, ie, crashed something. Put a rubber/ polymer buffer in it with hot loads.

I always loaded for low recoil, better training imo.

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
You got it.

My favorite 45 had too soft recoil spring, that's why the previous owner sold it. 245$ Dummy. Total custom combat commander. Dummy.

No reason to go over recommended breach pressures.

Unless you want to blow it up in your hands.
Too much will break the barrel link. A buffer will help.
I've seen too many that blew up, ie, crashed something. Put a rubber/ polymer buffer in it with hot loads.

I always loaded for low recoil, better training imo.
Why not load target rounds that will be similar to defense rounds? Makes more sense to me.

S.C.

Yeah, it may need one. Not sure yet. We'll see how it behaves after a few hundred rounds.

Whatchoo talkin' about Willis?

My preference is to load my target rounds to what a defensive round would be flying at. I think I'm in that ballpark.

As well? I'm saying nothing I use at this point is jacketed.

Impossible in 2021. :biggrin:

That's a shitload of rounds. My biggest day was probably 300, when I took the Gunsite two day pistol course. I was happy to end the day.

S.C.

You remind me. My mentor carried and trained with 44 mag. His wrists were shot. His ears didn't work.

He told me not to do that. I did anyways.

If one were to get hit with 230 grain at 750 per second vs 900 fps, is it really that much difference?

850 being the norm.

No, fuck no! Count me out.

Top Bottom