General Purpose Gun Thread

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
So I whipped up those .357 loads last night, and today, brought the chrono to the indoor shooting range, and.......

Or I got things like this.....

Turns out, the lights in the range fuck with the sensors on the chrono (Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX).

The very first shot I fired with 11.9 Gr. of powder registered 2,495 FPS. I was thrilled, and feeling I didn't have to bother even trying the other charges I had loaded.

Then the second and third shot gave real low numbers, and so on and so on, including the crazy high readings. I tried running my 9mm rounds through it and got same odd results. So, looks like I'll be going outside to Phoenix Rod and Gun Club soon for another test.

That being said, anything from 11.9 to 12.7 Gr. felt fine, and was surely good for punching holes in paper. But I need to assure the velocity stays below Berry's bullets limit on plated bullets, which I believe is 2,500 FPS.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
What weight of bullet are you shooting where you're not shocked at 2500fps out of a .357 magnum? Is this a rifle?
125 Gr. Berry's, and you're not wrong about the velocity. I was more concerned about the Berry's bullet max velocity than I was about what a regular .357 velocity range would be. And yeah, it's up there. That reading surely falls in line with the other fucked up readings, I guess. As far as how it felt, I would guess these rounds weren't traveling up past 1,000 FPS, but I won't know until I get back out in real light for another test.

S.C.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Your chrono needs incandescent light or sunlight to read properly.
I use a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb set up above my chrono facing downwards to use mine indoors.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Your chrono needs incandescent light or sunlight to read properly.
I use a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb set up above my chrono facing downwards to use mine indoors.
Yeah, we figured that out, and I will just go to my outdoor range. I'm a member, and it's closed to the public during the week, so I can have the entire place to myself most times.

S.C.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Yeah, we figured that out, and I will just go to my outdoor range. I'm a member, and it's closed to the public during the week, so I can have the entire place to myself most times.

S.C.
Sounds like a cool place where only cool guys hang out?

Hey, I just bought this High Standard Supermatic Trophy .22 pistol.

I've wanted one since I was in high school in the 70s.

rumble phish

BAMF+
My carry piece the cops had for 4 plus years. BTW since they've had it I have other guns but I moved and not much reason to carry concealed anymore.
View attachment 83204
Is that a Bersa Thunder, or a Firestorm? I have a Bersa Firestorm that looks just like it. Great little .380 knock off of a Walther PPK. Love it, bit I'm giving it to my sister's "manfriend" (they're too old to refer to as boyfriend/girlfriend). Anyway, fucking love that little gun :up: Cost me $179+tax and DROS, so it's easy to give away.

Tim .. I carry one of those as a back-up, check out Remora for a real thin holster for IWB, actually not a holster per say, more like a pouch.
I also have a Remora holster for my LC9s. Great option, and even works when wearing sweats.

This is a neat little conversation piece. My compact tz75, one year only model.View attachment 83219.... 12+1 .. its a brick though. Love those double action pistols.
My current carry of choice is my Ruger P345 in a custom IWB holster. It's a Commander size, single stack .45. Being a single stack it's thin enough to be comfortable in an IWB.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
It's a Bersa thunder. Standard not the CC model. Better for bigger hands, better sights, but doesn't hold very many rounds.

What I've found though, it's extremely reliable, accurate for what it is, and safe. The way the hammer drops when you chamber a round scared the hell outta me the first time.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
I tried my hand at 25 yard bullseye shooting.

One handed, 25 yards, High Standard Supermatic Citation, 6 o'clock hold

Five shots

Second five, four on the paper

• Red
Reactions: Red

Ed

Agreed, and be willing to try several different types of ammo- my HS Victor was fussy about it liked; I never tried fancy stuff like Eley Tenex, but it was clearly happier with standard-velocity.

With ammo it liked, it was terrific.

Top Bottom