General Purpose Gun Thread

rumble phish

BAMF+
Hypothetically, the U.S.
In California an M1 Carbine is not classified as an "assault weapon". Neither is a Mini-14, Mini-30, M14, Garand or any other semi-auto rifle without one or more "Evil" features, in combination with a detachable magazine unless it is specifically named by make and model number. Below is the California "Assault Weapon Flow Chart" that was created to help CA gun owners understand what makes a firearm an "Assault Weapon" in the eyes of California law. Some of you might laugh at this, but now that the Kamala/Biden administration is in power this very well may become the law(s) nationwide.

NOTE - Pay special attention to the categories and definitions on page 2.

^^^ THIS

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Yeah .. That's a C-Products ... They are hard to get right now .. well the 30 rd ones anyway. Pretty much the only mag you want to use in a 7.62 AR according to the interwebs ... and WP!
Get some 20 and 28 rounders
They are shorter and more manuverable than the 30 round banana mags.

The 20s are my fave...

• WTF
Reactions: Red

WarpSpeed

BAMF+

Customer bought it 3 weeks ago, shot 11 rounds through it, and realized it's too big for his child-sized hands (S&W Shield EZ 9mm is what fit him the best).
That was an expensive mistake for him and an inexpensive new purchase for me.

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Warp, nice score. I wouldn't mind one of those in the future.

Just back from the range, testing the rounds. Working just fine. 147 Gr Berry's bullets with 3.5 Gr of Clean Shot powder. I ran a bunch through four different 9mm pistols. This is from my little Springfield XD with the 3" barrel at 30 feet.

S.C.

Fever500

BAMF
Took my P80's to the range Saturday.
Fucking 940CL still having light primer strikes ... I think my recoil spring is too soft. Have a 19 and 20 on the way to test. Already replaced all slide components without any success.

My P80 G19 ran great as always.

First time for the 940SC and it ran perfectly!

10 and 7 yards.

Light strikes in a glock are caused by a striker spring that’s too light, or a striker that’s too heavy. Typically it’s installing a light striker spring (to create a lighter trigger) but leaving the stock striker installed. The light spring / heavy striker doesn’t have the juice to reliably set off primers.

If it’s stock springs and striker, check the little cups that hold the striker/spring together. If these are chewed up they can cause issues, although not common.

Recoil springs only really affect cycling and feeding.

FWIW :biggar:

Reactions: WP

Fever500

BAMF
Light strikes in a glock are caused by a striker spring that’s too light, or a striker that’s too heavy. Typically it’s installing a light striker spring (to create a lighter trigger) but leaving the stock striker installed. The light spring / heavy striker doesn’t have the juice to reliably set off primers.

If it’s stock springs and striker, check the little cups that hold the striker/spring together. If these are chewed up they can cause issues, although not common.

Recoil springs only really affect cycling and feeding.

FWIW :biggar:
Already been through 3 sets of strikers and springs .. cups and channel liners. I don't think it is going fully into battery. I can reliably rack it and it fires .. then the next round fails to fire.

I've tried the stock poly guide rod and flat spring as well as a stainless rod and spring ... both are 17#. I've read that some of the 17's came with 19# springs.

I noticed that I can shake the gun back and forth and the slide moves ... not sure if this is normal but my other 2 do not do that. At least not as much as this one. All this leads me to think the recoil spring is too weak.

The kit I bought has 2 other striker spring weights so I will be able to try that as well.

LuxPride

BAMF
I'm trying to find a couple of thousand small rifle primers for some .223 reloading. I'd have an easier time finding the lost city of Atlantis.

Anyone have a lead on them? I've read about users using Discord to get notifications on reloading supplies and using Distill.io in the same manner as the sneaker heads do to locate and buy instock items. These fucks are neckbearding primers and supplies using these technologies.

Have you ventured into Discord or Distill for help locating supplies? How are you finding this shit? I should have loaded up on more small rifle primers, I know I fucked up.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I'm trying to find a couple of thousand small rifle primers for some .223 reloading. I'd have an easier time finding the lost city of Atlantis.

Anyone have a lead on them? I've read about users using Discord to get notifications on reloading supplies and using Distill.io in the same manner as the sneaker heads do to locate and buy instock items. These fucks are neckbearding primers and supplies using these technologies.

Have you ventured into Discord or Distill for help locating supplies? How are you finding this shit? I should have loaded up on more small rifle primers, I know I fucked up.
I'll swing by Bruno's tomorrow and see if they have any. It's a good excuse for a bicycle ride. If they have some, how much are you willing to pay per 1,000?

S.C.

• Red
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Working up some 9mm loads this weekend. 125 Gr. Sierra JHP. I'm starting with 3.4 Gr. of Clean Shot powder. I'll have to hit up the range with YSR later this week to chrono them.

ETA 3.4 is a starting point. I'll do a few up and down a tenth or two from there.

S.C.

• Red

LuxPride

BAMF
I'll swing by Bruno's tomorrow and see if they have any. It's a good excuse for a bicycle ride. If they have some, how much are you willing to pay per 1,000?

S.C.
Thanks, brother! Ideally, I'd like to pay retail. I'm no YSR here! Haha. Seriously though, I'm not sure what a reasonable ask is? I haven't had to buy primers for years until now.

$110 a box? (that's about 2x retail on CCI #41's) I'm not trying to get overly rolled over, but I'm fucked as it stands currently and not trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth.
I'll PM you my number, I won't walk if it's a few bucks difference. I'm easy. Thanks again Scott, I really appreciate it. If it pans out great if not, no worries. Your effort is much obliged.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Thanks, brother! Ideally, I'd like to pay retail. I'm no YSR here! Haha. Seriously though, I'm not sure what a reasonable ask is? I haven't had to buy primers for years until now.

$110 a box? (that's about 2x retail on CCI #41's) I'm not trying to get overly rolled over, but I'm fucked as it stands currently and not trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth.
I'll PM you my number, I won't walk if it's a few bucks difference. I'm easy. Thanks again Scott, I really appreciate it. If it pans out great if not, no worries. Your effort is much obliged.
Last time I picked up SRP about a month ago, I paid $85 for the box of 1000.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Today’s buy. I sold my sako 995 that was a 338/378. That cartridge was a bit more than I enjoyed and the 995 has an inherit safety issue that alway bugged me. Sooooo.... tahhdah. 340 wby weathermark and a Leupold vx6

View attachment 57149
Nice!

My dad's favorite rifle was his W. German built Weatherby Mark V in 340 Weatherby. Expensive to feed these days!

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
So we know that different parts of the country vary greatly as far as ammo and gun availability.

If anyone shoots 7.62x39 and can't find any bulk ammo, I can get you 1,000 round cases of steel cased Wolf shown below for $500 plus shipping through UPS. If that price point makes sense, great, send me a private message. If you find better deals locally and they have it in stock, grab it as prices are going up.

I would like to see other gun enthusiasts on this thread share deals they find on bulk ammo and primers....or if it's out of your personal stash and you want to sell some off..., post it up for others to consider. Same as if anyone is looking for some ammo and would like to grab a few hundred rounds, post up what you're looking for and maybe we can help each other out.

kawachan

BAMF
I've been doing my best for hunting ammo hitting up the local Walmart. Picked up four boxes of 30-30 this morning for <$20 a box. They only allow 2 boxes per customer so my wife and I bought 2 each. Got my buddy to go buy 2 boxes of Core Lokt 270 and another one to buy 2 15 rd boxes of 12ga buckshot.

I went back in after lunch so I picked up some 20 gauge since another worker was behind the counter. Only rifle ammo left was one box of 222 and one box of 350 Legend.

My local Atwoods farm and ranch has been pretty good to me as well. They do at least get some in every week. They had cases of 6.8 SPC a few weeks ago so I pick up 2 boxes every time I go in unless they have something better. 6MM Creedmoor is the only other ammo they have in stock now.

gsteve

BAMF+
Nice!

My dad's favorite rifle was his W. German built Weatherby Mark V in 340 Weatherby. Expensive to feed these days!
338/378 is about 200/box. At best. 340 is about 80. Still ridiculous but better than what I had. I won’t be shooting tons , I have 80 rounds of once fired coming so I’ll reload that for practice. I’ll try to get 40-60 of fresh for the trip

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
So we know that different parts of the country vary greatly as far as ammo and gun availability.

If anyone shoots 7.62x39 and can't find any bulk ammo, I can get you 1,000 round cases of steel cased Wolf shown below for $500 plus shipping through UPS. If that price point makes sense, great, send me a private message. If you find better deals locally and they have it in stock, grab it as prices are going up.

I would like to see other gun enthusiasts on this thread share deals they find on bulk ammo and primers....or if it's out of your personal stash and you want to sell some off..., post it up for others to consider. Same as if anyone is looking for some ammo and would like to grab a few hundred rounds, post up what you're looking for and maybe we can help each other out.

View attachment 57159
What u getting 12 ga 00 buck for?
Also birdshot... 4-7

RobBase

BAMF
Bought 1000 rounds of 12ga. 7 1/2 shot, Aguilar, Rio and Winchester for $9 / box of 25 about a month ago. Now they're sold out of everything.
Went there 2 weeks ago to buy a bunch of 33 Rd Glock mags and they had 10 round boxes of 00 buck for $10/box......Canadian made.
This was at Sportsmans Warehouse in PA.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
What u getting 12 ga 00 buck for?
Also birdshot... 4-7
Haven't bought any new stock, still thinning out some older bulk inventory. Federal #7.5 in a 25 shell box is going for about $15.00 and the buckshot changes damned near daily....few boxes of Hornady, some Federal, all over the place. It's like the gas station with price fluctuations.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Few things I've been messing with at the shop..

My P320 and a friend's X-Five. He has a Gray Guns trigger kit and with some other tweaks he's performed. That trigger has zero creep and a gentle wall before it breaks at 2.4 lbs. No overtravel and the reset is incredible. One of the best triggers I've squeezed outside of a well tuned single action 1911.

Customer wanted a convertible inside and outside the waistband (IWB/OWB) holster for his Judge and he wanted it relief cut in a certain way. 90 minutes later, let's see how this works..

57694 57695

What else..

New Walther PDP full size landed. 3.4 pound (as measured by our scales) trigger and a nicely textured and shaped grip (looks weird, feels good in hand) . It sold in under an hour after being put on display.

20210303_134754.jpg

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
Has YSR hit you up yet, to become a member at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club? It's actually not far from you, the way the crow flies.

S.C.
He sure has, but the timing was off. I have weird set up of move in things to do still. I cant really play for a few more weeks with any one and some of my los angeles friends come in to town next weekend and different the weekend after that. and i still gotta get all these dressers out that wayfair delivered that were sub par :/

1615078484832.png

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I took the 686 out to the range today for its first time out since coming back from the gunsmith. 30 feet, double action. Seeing how I always shoot low, and left, I'd say the sights need a litle adjustment. But the second pic is from my gunsmith's test firing.

So......What the fuck am I doing wrong?

S.C.

Top Bottom