General Purpose Gun Thread

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
cold barrel vs warm? I don't know if that's a thing with such short barrels in general. Maybe you got your grip right after the first couple mags? 2 grains seems like a tiny amount to change your groupings that much, but maybe it is, I dunno.
YSR said he's seen guys he shoots with experience similar things. This is new to me.

S.C.

• Red
Reactions: Red

WarpSpeed

BAMF+

Just popped this Holosun HS510C on the Saint after a friend shared his feedback running one for a little over a year on 2 different AR's - a 9mm CMMG he competes with in PCC matches, and a 5.56 POF for regular 3 gun matches. It's held up to the abuse and hasn't lost it's zero. A nice bargain purchase.

Speed, twist, length, weight, it all makes a difference.

The most powerful short barrel hand guns I've had, are tits on a ritz. Surprisingly, more bang is more accurate.

Speed and weight seem to be the most important factors. Twist....

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
For those of you with AR's that don't have a vice mounted magwell block or would just like something you can use in the house on a table or desk for the sake of convenience, here's a product I've checked out in person. hey each take 22 hours on the 3D printer with the internal latticework and resolution quality used. It's nice enough that I've purchased one and should have it within a week or so. Here's a link to purchase one if anyone else is interested:

So check out this oddity....These are my first test rounds with .45 ACP.

On the left, 5.0 grains of Clean Shot pistol/shotgun powder. On the right, 4.8 grains of the same powder. Shot at the same distance, with same Colt 1911. All shot within the same ten minutes. I shot the right target first, with the 4.8 grains, then moved to the left target and the 5.0 grains. I always shoot low, and more often than not, low and left (as seen on the right). Makes me wonder what the heck went on.

Anyway, I'm going to run up a bunch of 5 grain rounds and visit the range again next week.

S.C.
You say you always shoot low, and more often than not low left. This is typical for a right handed shooter. My thoughts would be that it's you more than it is the ammo. Realize I'm reading your targets, and not having watched you shoot, but trigger control would be my guess. I'm going to assume these weren't bagged/benched. I wouldn't do that either, I want to see what happens how I actually shoot it.

Semi wadcutters ? Lead, plated, coated, jacketed ? What kinda distance ?

Cold bore, twist, etc... isn't really an issue or concern with pistols as much as it is with rifles. In all the ammo I've shot and loaded, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't group at all, no consistency. Low, high, right, left, off target depending on distance. I've had ammo I needed to adjust sights for, but it was only elevation, and never windage, not for pistols. I've had groups open up or tighten depending on the load data, but never consistently to one direction or another, just no groups. (1911s, CZs, Glocks, HKs, XDs, M&Ps, all the same).

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
You say you always shoot low, and more often than not low left. This is typical for a right handed shooter. My thoughts would be that it's you more than it is the ammo. Realize I'm reading your targets, and not having watched you shoot, but trigger control would be my guess. I'm going to assume these weren't bagged/benched. I wouldn't do that either, I want to see what happens how I actually shoot it.

Cold bore, twist, etc... isn't really an issue or concern with pistols as much as it is with rifles. In all the ammo I've shot and loaded, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't group at all, no consistency. Low, high, right, left, off target depending on distance. I've had ammo I needed to adjust sights for, but it was only elevation, and never windage, not for pistols. I've had groups open up or tighten depending on the load data, but never consistently to one direction or another, just no groups. (1911s, CZs, Glocks, HKs, XDs, M&Ps, all the same).
I'm on my phone so I won't get too detailed now. But I was pointing out the size of the groups and not my poor shooting skills.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+

OK, so yes. I shoot low, and/or low and left. It's totally me jerking the trigger. I really need to work on it. I'm a Weaver stance guy. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Nothing wrong with the ammo. 200 Gr. lead SWC, 30 Ft. My concern about that right target was the spread. It was just stupid compared to the left target with the 5.0 grains of powder.

Anyway, I'm likely going back to the range this weekend with a bunch of the 5.0 grain stuff. I'll also bring two other 1911s and see what happens.

S.C.

• Red
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Oh, and I tossed out about 100 rounds of .40 S&W today that was mixed in with my brass. Any of you want it? I'll fish it out of the trash.

S.C.

• Red

TR3B

Old but forgotten

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Speaking of Czech guns - have you guys been following this Laugo Alien lunacy going on? 5K for a pistol is crazy money but it's neat and I kinda get it. Looking for one on GB and they're 10K+ aftermarket. One just went for 12K. That's insane.
David1Busa has 3
His were sent to his personal Alien gunsmiths on the Moon and getting one off Moon wood grips, moonrock front beads and Alien foreskin rubs.

His company also has a contract with the moon aliens in case you didn t know.

jhinderliter

BAMF+
Slick rig man 👍

I still can’t find an etched nickel aero bcg 😒 but I have a bolt I can run til they catch up

im pretty happy with the AR stand , he will answer any questions if you message him on eBay , I think he is a friend of WarpSpeed WarpSpeed

NORTY

BAMF
Since this is a "general purpose" gun thread, I have a question for y'all.
I have a RDP reloader "The Tool." (Friend's widow wants it gone.)
Got a crap ton of dies with it, too.
Any idea what it's worth?
I gotta shit ton of bullets too. (Mostly 22 JET, 38, 44, 25.06 and maybe some .30 cal. )

NORTY

BAMF
So check out this oddity....These are my first test rounds with .45 ACP.

On the left, 5.0 grains of Clean Shot pistol/shotgun powder. On the right, 4.8 grains of the same powder. Shot at the same distance, with same Colt 1911. All shot within the same ten minutes. I shot the right target first, with the 4.8 grains, then moved to the left target and the 5.0 grains. I always shoot low, and more often than not, low and left (as seen on the right). Makes me wonder what the heck went on.

Anyway, I'm going to run up a bunch of 5 grain rounds and visit the range again next week.

S.C.
You relaxed on the left target...

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Not sure how much you ve shot that magazine, but I assure you, it is junk.
7.62 mags for ARs are the main malfunction reason in any AR39

The ONLY reliable mag for 7.62x39 AR s is made by:
C-Products Duramag

Fever500

BAMF
Not sure how much you ve shot that magazine, but I assure you, it is junk.
7.62 mags for ARs are the main malfunction reason in any AR39

The ONLY reliable mag for 7.62x39 AR s is made by:
C-Products Duramag

Yeah .. That's a C-Products ... They are hard to get right now .. well the 30 rd ones anyway. Pretty much the only mag you want to use in a 7.62 AR according to the interwebs ... and WP!

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Since this is a "general purpose" gun thread, I have a question for y'all.
I have a RDP reloader "The Tool." (Friend's widow wants it gone.)
Got a crap ton of dies with it, too.
Any idea what it's worth?
I gotta shit ton of bullets too. (Mostly 22 JET, 38, 44, 25.06 and maybe some .30 cal. )
I'd possibly be interested in some of the dies and bullets. Let me know if you want to unload some of the things.

S.C.

• Red

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
So, hypothetically... What if your parents died and while you were clearing out their stuff you find a rifle. An M1 Carbine, unregistered. What would you do?

Top Bottom