General Purpose Gun Thread

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I thought there was a general chat thread for guns. Couldn't find it. So, here we go.

My latest purchase.

Total impulse buy. KelTecPLR-22. I was in WalMart for some other things yesterday, and wandered over to the gun counter to see if they had any 3" shells for my Mossberg. Nada, but I saw a few bricks of 22LR, so I grabbed them, even though I don't own anything that shoots 22LR. Then I came home and searched for my first 22LR gun to buy for the ammo I already had. Sportsmans is out of most everything but this KelTec. So, there it is. I really would have liked to try the H&K 416 in 22LR, but it's out of stock. I'm still going to get the H&K when I can find one.

I also want a basic bolt action, single shot, peep sight rifle like I grew up with. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

S.C.

jhinderliter

BAMF+
Dig it 👍🏿

bought a PMR 30 for the wife a few years ago , it’s a hoot ..

As for as bolt .22s go I’m pretty happy with those ruger American target rim fires I picked up in June.. prolly go well with that scout rifle you got too 👍🏼👍🏼

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I have some old .22 Scorpion or something, uses RamLine 50 round magazines. I bought it back in 1994.
I've heard they can be converted to full auto easily and illegally. Mind is bone stock, I don't need that kind of trouble, especially when I have a legal full auto.

if yours gives you problems.

First thing I do is Google. Xxxxxxx problems.

Have a Taurus model 94, the reviews were not good, I wouldn't have bought it had i read them first. It's a cheap 22 revolver i wanted for while on horse back, in case it dropped off on to the ground, which happened when the holster failed..

It's actually a great 22 revolver, just can't use cheap dirty ammo because it has a real tight gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

Some people that complain are just people that expect it to operate like an appliance.

Looks like a fun new toy you have, post a review.

Use quality ammo.

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
Looks like a fun new toy you have, post a review.

Use quality ammo.
^^^ this.

You'll probably going to find that dirty, cheap, standard velocity ammo won't cycle the bolt well and you'll have a look of extraction issues.

Use good quality, high velocity ammo (1200+ fps) and you'll have fun.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
id way rather have a ruger charger....

basically a cut down 10/22...and it doesnt get any more reliable (or fun) than that in 22lr...and you can modify it to your hearts content! (even comes with a threaded barrell if im not mistaken)

no reason for a bolt action 22 IMO...especally with how good the semis are in that category of plinker anyway! and ive never known any 10/22 to care what sort of ammo you put in it.

^^^ this.

You'll probably going to find that dirty, cheap, standard velocity ammo won't cycle the bolt well and you'll have a look of extraction issues.

Use good quality, high velocity ammo (1200+ fps) and you'll have fun.
His is a revolver...

But no doubt, standard load .22lr sucks in most semi-auto pistols.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I have a 30 year old Marlin 60 that's my favorite .22lr. Probably put over 50000 rounds through it. Rebuilt the action, barrel is about shot out, but still accurate as fuck (Marlin's microgroove rifling was great!). Also have two Ruger 10/22's, one's a take down model. They're the Ford F150 of rifles. Durable, reliable, if not a little boring. But everyone should have one. Especially the take down.
Also had a Norinco knock off of a Browning take down. Wasn't bad and I should've kept it, but I sold it like an idiot.

Handgun-wise I have a Ruger Mark II. Love it, but it is finiky about the ammo it'll eat. Had a Browning Buckmark Camper. Another one I should've kept, but since I'm a "Ruger" guy I sold it and got the Mark II. I also had a cheap .22 single action revolver that was surprisingly good, and not just for the money. It was a Heritage Rough Rider. "Rough" is an accurate description, but it worked flawlessly and was accurate and fun as hell to shoot. My next purchase will be the new Ruger "Wrangler" single action revolver.

And probably another take down 10/22.

Last edited:

kawachan

BAMF
Mini Mags are about the best all around 22 shells you can get. I really like the Federal 550 but the Federal Auto Match (325 bulk) also shoot pretty good. I'm pretty much done with Remington Golden Bullet bulk, but for some reason the 50 rd boxes and bricks shoot good. I also use Remington Subsonic for my suppressors. Won't even try to shoot the Win 333 or 555's, but the 100 rd like Mini Mags are great. BPR shoot great, but really no need for a 1400 fps 22.

For accuracy, some of the Federal Premium or Wolf Match Extra are pretty amazing.

I love rimfires. I have @35 of them, @25 are 22's. Pretty hard to beat a Browning Buckmark or a S&W Model 41 for a semi auto pistol. S&W 6 or 10 shot revolvers are really nice.

Everyone loves Ruger 10-22's, but they are pretty bland to me. I do like the Magnum Research 10-22 copy, and my first rifle was a Remington 552 so I like the Nylon 66's and all the variants of those. Buckmark Rifle uses same mags as the pistol so that is nice.

I LOVE bolt action 22's. Pretty hard to beat an Anschutz 22 and I love my CZ's and Remington 541-T HB. Browning A Bolt and the T bolts are pretty nice as well. Some of the older and even newer Remington / Winchester / Savage / Ruger 77 or American are some fine rifles to train your kids to shoot with.

f2benny

BAMF
Mini Mags are about the best all around 22 shells you can get. I really like the Federal 550 but the Federal Auto Match (325 bulk) also shoot pretty good. I'm pretty much done with Remington Golden Bullet bulk, but for some reason the 50 rd boxes and bricks shoot good. I also use Remington Subsonic for my suppressors. Won't even try to shoot the Win 333 or 555's, but the 100 rd like Mini Mags are great. BPR shoot great, but really no need for a 1400 fps 22.

For accuracy, some of the Federal Premium or Wolf Match Extra are pretty amazing.

I love rimfires. I have @35 of them, @25 are 22's. Pretty hard to beat a Browning Buckmark or a S&W Model 41 for a semi auto pistol. S&W 6 or 10 shot revolvers are really nice.

Everyone loves Ruger 10-22's, but they are pretty bland to me. I do like the Magnum Research 10-22 copy, and my first rifle was a Remington 552 so I like the Nylon 66's and all the variants of those. Buckmark Rifle uses same mags as the pistol so that is nice.

I LOVE bolt action 22's. Pretty hard to beat an Anschutz 22 and I love my CZ's and Remington 541-T HB. Browning A Bolt and the T bolts are pretty nice as well. Some of the older and even newer Remington / Winchester / Savage / Ruger 77 or American are some fine rifles to train your kids to shoot with.
This is my cz 455 varmint w cheap ammo at 50 yds20200818_183526.png

rumble phish

BAMF+

There are very few "opinion" post here on LAB's that I can I agree with 100%. This is one of them.

Mini Mags are THE gold standard of .22LR ammo for me. Remington "Golden Bullet" used to be a close second, but has waned in quality over the last 10 years. Winchester .22 ammo just sucks. The Remington Nylon 66's ARE fantastic rifles, top 5 for me for sure, even if they feel cheaper than a Daisy BB gun. Everyone should have a 10/22, as boring as they are. And the Browning Buckmark cannot be beat.

kawachan

BAMF
I have four of the 452's. Sold on CZ because of them. Bought a 550 in 22 Hornet. It has the set trigger like the 455's. Really nice!! All of mine are the walnut American. Nice clean rifles.

CZ 9mm semi-autos are pretty sweet too. Nice triggers right out of the box day one.

Not enough to replace my HK VP9, though.

kawachan

BAMF
I've had a couple of the Rami and they were awesome. Had an H&K 40 that was nice. I sold them because I tend to be a "Family Guy" and once I buy and like a certain gun, I want the WHOLE line... I'm @there with S&W revolvers, Kimber 1911's, Rem 700's, and a couple more.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I've had a couple of the Rami and they were awesome. Had an H&K 40 that was nice. I sold them because I tend to be a "Family Guy" and once I buy and like a certain gun, I want the WHOLE line... I'm @there with S&W revolvers, Kimber 1911's, Rem 700's, and a couple more.
That's why I'ma Ruger fan. I fell in love with my GP100 (4" brushed stainless with a Hogue Cocobolo finger groove grip). I've had dozens of Ruger handguns over the years and I've never been disappointed. The GP100 is still my fav though. I'm a Stag fanboi too.

I have four of the 452's. Sold on CZ because of them. Bought a 550 in 22 Hornet. It has the set trigger like the 455's. Really nice!! All of mine are the walnut American. Nice clean rifles.
I've never had a CZ, but I've fondled and fired a few. Always a nice experience. Your comment about the walnut stock brings a question to mind... do you prefer a wood stock or a composite? Both have their place, but I love me a nice clean wood stock with some tastefully done scroll work and checkering. OTOH, I like the durability of a composite/plastic stock. My Ruger PC Carbine's stock is durable as fuck. Probably gonna get a 10/22 take down with the black stock too.

kawachan

BAMF
I like walnut and wood. Just nice and clean. Composite for my varmint guns as they take a beating in and out of the truck all day. Mostly the H-S Precision like on the VSSF and LTR's

Stetson

BAMF+
That's why I'ma Ruger fan. I fell in love with my GP100 (4" brushed stainless with a Hogue Cocobolo finger groove grip). I've had dozens of Ruger handguns over the years and I've never been disappointed. The GP100 is still my fav though. I'm a Stag fanboi too.
I'm a Ruger fan.

I have a Ruger 10/22T like this one:

Ruger 10/22 Target .22 LR SN: 244-96286

This Charger's mine:

One of these:

Ruger® Mark IV™ Target Rimfire Pistol Model 40103

And this has been my go-to CCW for 30+ years:

Last edited:

kawachan

BAMF
My first center fire revolver was a SS Security Six 6". When I moved out my Dad wanted to keep it so I bought a SS S&W 686 PP. It is now scoped and the first revolver I killed a deer with.

My first revolver was an H&R single action 676 22/22M. I used to read westerns so I tied my holster down and tried to quick draw it all the time.....

rumble phish

BAMF+
My first revolver was a Ruger Single-Six single action with both 22lr and 22Mag cylinders. it was actually listed as a "Blackhawk" on the box and paperwork. Think it was circa 1962'ish. Fucking hoot to shoot the 22 mags! Accurate little fucker, too. We'd do the "quick draw" action with an old leg strapped holster and practice "fanning" the hammer. It wasn't as easy as it looked on TV!

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
id way rather have a ruger charger....

basically a cut down 10/22...and it doesnt get any more reliable (or fun) than that in 22lr...and you can modify it to your hearts content! (even comes with a threaded barrell if im not mistaken)

View attachment 41472

no reason for a bolt action 22 IMO...especally with how good the semis are in that category of plinker anyway! and ive never known any 10/22 to care what sort of ammo you put in it.
If I could find that Ruger, I'd have one. And I want a bolt action 22 because it was my first gun. Memories.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
On your rifle what is the budget? You may need to look in gunbroker for one of the old Winchester bolt .22's. Peep sights are not popular these days so unless you are looking at the upper end of Anschutz etc, your choices are limited unless you want to have a Smith install them front and rear.

My PaPaw was a Scoutmaster and had one of the bolt action Winchesters with peep sights I learned to shoot with at 8 years old with. Good Times!
If you're talking to me, it doesn't matter too much. I'm sure I can get something cool for not a lot of money. Doesn't have to be a tack driver, just reasonably accurate and fun to shoot.

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
This was a fun build. Clark custom stock, adjustable LOP end plate, Volquartzen everything aside from the receiver shell. Nikon or Burris 4-14x scope. We would set up 22 short casings along logs and snipe at them from a bench at 50 yards. It was too easy. 75 yards is where it got interesting as the Stingers or MiniMag were starting to run out of steam.

I bought the CZ455 22lr, then later got the .17 barrel, then still later the 22mag barrel. squirrels say aim stays right on after barrel switch. That 3 in 1 combo is a keeper, small, light, attractive, and accurate.
One of my 10/22 breakdowns has a threaded suppressor which is nice. My 10/22 target is a great shooter too. Every one who shoots it wants to buy it. Friend says it's too heavy for hunting, but wants to borrow the CZ. Hah

kawachan

BAMF
I bought a Remington 41 TargetMaster single shot bolt action and my buddy bought a 514? I think it was from a local gun show about 15 or 20 years or so ago. I think we paid $100 or so for the pair since we bought them at the same time. Old long barrels with tiny bead sights and you have a lil knurled hammer you cock for each round. After a brick of 22 shells thumbs are about wore out but they sure are fun to shoot!!

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I have a rusty ass .22 lever action in the garage loaded with CCI CB's in it. They used to be called CB Caps, but they quit making the "cap" a long tyme ago. But we still called the CB Caps because they are a littler louder than a cap gun.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
There are very few "opinion" post here on LAB's that I can I agree with 100%. This is one of them.

Mini Mags are THE gold standard of .22LR ammo for me. Remington "Golden Bullet" used to be a close second, but has waned in quality over the last 10 years. Winchester .22 ammo just sucks. The Remington Nylon 66's ARE fantastic rifles, top 5 for me for sure, even if they feel cheaper than a Daisy BB gun. Everyone should have a 10/22, as boring as they are. And the Browning Buckmark cannot be beat.
Mini Mags are all I will run through my .22LR pistols. My rifles get a mixed bag of whatever, usually golden bullets, yellow jackets, or federal bulk. My marlin 60s will run anything, as will my 10/22s.

Stetson

BAMF+
I forgot about this one. About 10 years after I'd been living in an old house we'd bought, I was up in the attic, installing a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms. Way over by the eaves, where there's no room to stand, I found this old Marlin Model 89C wrapped up in a blanket. It's from somewhere between 1954 and 1961 I think. Didn't have a magazine, and I need to find one.

I got a kick out of it, many people would freak out knowing they bought a house with hidden guns, I was psyched. There was a single shot .410 wrapped up in the blanket with it. :up:

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I forgot about this one. About 10 years after I'd been living in an old house we'd bought, I was up in the attic, installing a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms. Way over by the eaves, where there's no room to stand, I found this old Marlin Model 89C wrapped up in a blanket. It's from somewhere between 1954 and 1961 I think. Didn't have a magazine, and I need to find one.

I got a kick out of it, many people would freak out knowing they bought a house with hidden guns, I was psyched. There was a single shot .410 wrapped up in the blanket with it. :up:

Nice find!

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Oh shit. I got to C2 Tactical to shoot with some friends today. They were all late, so I was wandering around, and ended up with this. 10mm. I figure I'll add a Glock in 10mm and be done with adding guns to that caliber. Being a member of C2 means I get free gun rentals, so I used one of their Glock 20s to compare to the new Springfield. The Glock is a fine gun, but the Springfield talks to me, unlike the Glock.

It's a great shooter. Fits my hand well. I'll play around with the different backstraps to see if one feels better than the others.

BTW, it's real fucking nice to just toss down my CCW and walk away with a new gun. No 4473 forms to fill out.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Oh, and one of my friends, a Canadian who has been in the country for many years, was one of the folks. He has shot in the past, but not at a controlled environment like an indoor range. I warned the guys at the counter that three guys were coming in to shoot with me, none of which had been there before. I asked what they needed to do. All they had to do was sign a waiver. No more watching a safety video. So when they got in the lanes with me, I made them all read the rules clearly displayed on the wall in many places.

I'll be damned if Canadian guy didn't waive the fucking Walther 22 around and almost get tackled by the range master. And once the chaos stopped a few seconds later, he did the exact same thing again. It was both hilarious and insane. This is a brilliant guy who can read and comprehend. How the fuck he managed to do this is beyond me. But the gun wasn't loaded, and in the end, nobody was shot.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I do not understand the statement about no 4473 forms to fill out. That is a POS requirement. The only thing you do not have to do is Wait for the background check possibly. The 4473 is a Federal Requirement plain and simple and is absolutely disassociated with anything your State may require.
Correction. I don't have to be submitted for a background check. I filled out a basic form with name, address and such, and I walk.

S.C.

S.C.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
That form would be the 4473.
Apparently, and I guess you can forget everything I said about the CCW making it easier. I guess they just don't have to run the check and wait for a response. But today I had to do it again when I picked up my KelTec, but the form at Sportsman's seemed longer (probably just me being in a hurry), and then the fuckers still took forever to get me done and out of the building. Probably 30 minutes total. I was done yesterday at C2 with that Springfield in five minutes.

S.C.

Top Bottom