GDP

luckystrike

non binary Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
So it's down .9%

That's the 2nd consecutive quarter of decline = recession

Yet the WH is playing games all of a sudden with the official definition of recession (discussed in other threads)

And their media lackeys are falling in line

CNBC headline this mornings: "GDP fell 0.9% in the second quarter, the second straight decline and a strong recession signal"

No, it's not a 'strong signal' you assholes. It is a recession

Just call it what it is :fu:

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
Headlines running the gamut. Newsweek calls it a recession. Fox news calls it a "technical recession". CNN article saying that people already think and act like it's a recession.

Stites

BAMF+
I saw several headlines early this morning indicating it wasn't a recession yet. The sad part is they all thing we are stupid and do not see through the bullshit.

Guarantee if this was happening a year from now or this time last year they would call it a recession. However, we are few months from elections and you can't go into an election cycle with bad news. So just make shit up and redefine what a recession is so it doesn't look as bad. Now you can do well in polls, which are also bullshit.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
We need to end our economic dependence on China.
So, tell all these people who love their big screens, video games and smart phones, that we need to go back to a simpler time? Fat chance of that ever happening.

What would be the repurcussions of telling China to fuck off? First, I assume, would be massive shortages of shitloads of things. As time passed, and we ramped up production in the US again, prices for the same goods would now be a shit ton more.

Amiright?

S.C.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Yes but the real addiction is to the fed (ie ourselves)

If it wasn’t so easy to write blank checks drawing from the future, China wouldn’t factor

And…wait for it…

Bitcoin fixes this :D

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
We need to end the dominance that China has by cheating on every trade deal ever written. It's the only reason they are where they are. Cheating the US GOVERNEMNT allows because some politician (or their family) is getting greased....Politicians financial gain as servants of the people must be criminalized, and enforced as such.

You know what the penalty for not reporting a (allowable) insider trading deal is for a Congressman? ....$200 was the last I heard. Paul Pelosi buys a couple million in a stock his wife is controlling the vote on, $200 is not even on his radar. He'd probably laugh and not even pay it. What are they going to do, charge him interest?

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
SC, I didn't mean by an immediate embargo/trade war, type action. We have everything China has, except disipline.
discipline is an interesting one

Can it exist in the absence of an authoritarian government? Has it ever?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
So, tell all these people who love their big screens, video games and smart phones, that we need to go back to a simpler time? Fat chance of that ever happening.

What would be the repurcussions of telling China to fuck off? First, I assume, would be massive shortages of shitloads of things. As time passed, and we ramped up production in the US again, prices for the same goods would now be a shit ton more.

Amiright?

S.C.
I just want my quality parts and tools back!

I do not mind paying an extra $100.00 per part tool, as long as the quality is there.

The sad part is that the craftsmen and skill sets have been left idle for too long...

...maybe.

I want American steel, aluminum, other alloys, bearings, castings and rubber!

SC, I didn't mean by an immediate embargo/trade war, type action. We have everything China has, except total control over the workforce.

Adjusted for accuracy.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org

Amiright?

S.C.
China is experiencing drastic population collapse

That and labor automation could bring shit back

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
Discipline through competition.
I mean, disciplined to do what exactly?

Provide a superior product and service at a price point that meets the markets needs?

Because absent government intervention, maximizing profit at the expense of anything and everything else becomes the norm to stay competitive.

I can think of a few industries that took that to an extreme....

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
I think the discipline here is competition not so much in the absence of regulation but without the presence of fiscal policy in the form of stimulus and wealth redistribution

Last edited:

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I just want my quality parts and tools back!

I do not mind paying an extra $100.00 per part tool, as long as the quality is there.
My 40+ year old Craftsman pneumatic ratchet finally gave up the ghost when I was doing my fork seals last month. The seal which moves open or closed based on squeezing the activation lever finally rotted away. They don't make a replacement, so according to the internet, I can replace the lost seal with an 11/32 ball bearing. I'm going to give it a try sooner or later.

My $139 Harbor Fright compressor I bought, just to get me through until I can come up with a good garage solution is sounding like it's on its way out. I won't be surprised when it dies, and I don't regret passing on the extended warranty. My intention was not to keep it around any longer than needed.

S.C.

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
My 40+ year old Craftsman pneumatic ratchet finally gave up the ghost when I was doing my fork seals last month. The seal which moves open or closed based on squeezing the activation lever finally rotted away. They don't make a replacement, so according to the internet, I can replace the lost seal with an 11/32 ball bearing. I'm going to give it a try sooner or later.

My $139 Harbor Fright compressor I bought, just to get me through until I can come up with a good garage solution is sounding like it's on its way out. I won't be surprised when it dies, and I don't regret passing on the extended warranty. My intention was not to keep it around any longer than needed.

S.C.
Guessing it was oil less at that price point.

How long did it last you roughly?

I bought one of the roll around ones to run some nailers, same deal, just need it for renovations. If it goes kaput after a couple years of light use, I'll have gotten my money's worth.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

S.C.
I have a couple of these now. by far the quietest air compressor I've ever had. If you're going to run air tools you can piggy back it to a secondary tank for more volume. It's not going to keep up with a 1/2" impact gun for more then a couple bolts at a time, you could probably get all the lugs on a wheel though.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Ummmm it was when Trump started telling China to fuck off on all the shitty trade deals they made with America in the last 40 years and wanted to cut them off that they released a virus.

China isn't gonna let go of any trade deal they got into our junkie arms.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Ummmm it was when Trump started telling China to fuck off on all the shitty trade deals they made with America in the last 40 years and wanted to cut them off that they released a virus.

Don't forget about drowning us in fentanyl

It's all part of the 1000 year plan

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

You know the CHIPS Act was passed today, right? We were talking about it last year in the thread you started (which I'll update)- it took all this time to negotiate it, and all House Dems and 24 Reps signed it, as well as passing 64-33 in the Senate (which is about as bipartisan as it gets these days).

Still doesn't explain why AMERICA can't build the needed chips. Fuck relying on the rest of the world
Well, now the US is going to be much more competitive.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
From the twitter thread...

40% reduction in carbon emissions in a mere 8 years...uh, really?

Just like that, with the snap of his fingers...

And here's what's going to sell this...

"Make biggest corporations and ultra-wealthy pay their fair share"

Because when it doesn't pass, they'll point to that line during the mid-terms

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Ok haven't verified this but...

Wikipedia’s definition for “recession” has changed and the page is now locked from being edited

There have been over 30 edits to the definition of a Recession in Wikipedia over the past 48 hours

If true, we are officially living in a simulation

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
Ok haven't verified this but...

Wikipedia’s definition for “recession” has changed and the page is now locked from being edited

There have been over 30 edits to the definition of a Recession in Wikipedia over the past 48 hours

If true, we are officially living in a simulation
Wouldn't surprise me at all. People trolling it hard.

Top Bottom