Garage find

rumble phish

BAMF+
Of the twin sport bikes, the TL-R was one of my favorites, and possibly one of the sexiest bikes ever made (IMHO). I also had a huge (well, for me anyway) hard-on for the RC-51, the Honda Super Hawk, and the Aprilla RSV Mille. Unfortunately, I looked like a very large and uncomfortable gorilla trying to fuck a football on all four of'em.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I’m no where near your size but at 5’11” and 250lbs I’m not small. Mine was very comfortable for me.
Yeah, it was really my height that screwed me on the TL-R. That fucker sat low and the pegs were high. It was probably the widest of the v-twins though. I really, really wanted one, even more than my Busa, 'till I sat on one. I was truly disappointed (in myself for being such a fucking gorilla).

Same happened to me on a ZX-7R I bought for track days.

The Honda's were too narrow for me, with the Super Hawk being slightly more comfortable than the RC.

The Aprilla actually felt good, but I looked absolutely ridiculous on it.

But the ZX-12R, the Blackhawk, and the Busa fit me. Well, fit me better than any other sports bike.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Of the twin sport bikes, the TL-R was one of my favorites, and possibly one of the sexiest bikes ever made (IMHO). I also had a huge (well, for me anyway) hard-on for the RC-51, the Honda Super Hawk, and the Aprilla RSV Mille. Unfortunately, I looked like a very large and uncomfortable gorilla trying to fuck a football on all four of'em.

View attachment 84092

View attachment 84091

View attachment 84090

View attachment 84093
Junk when compared to any liquid cooled Ducati sporty bike.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
The RC51 was a WSBK and Suzuka 8 hr championship platform

Suck it monkey boy :fu:
Right and just to run it at an AMA national cost $50k to build including the bike... if done by Velasco. Nobody ran them at the club level...
Meanwhile Zx12s & Busas were breaching 150mph in the 1/4 on stock engines!!
And FYI... one guy had a Velasco built 51... He said his stock motor'd 12 in the same level of track prep sucked the paint off.
Cams $1000 ECU $1200 Radiators $2000 yadda yadda...

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
True dat...Honda made them heavy enough to not be a warranty problem, but they would be prohibitively expensive for a privateer to lighten up and race.
Did any ever show up at the WERA Nationals?.
not that I was aware of. Basically the guys that lightened them were already well versed in Ducatis so... it was just the cost of business. And they didnt ride them on a track.

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
Right and just to run it at an AMA national cost $50k to build including the bike... if done by Velasco. Nobody ran them at the club level...
Meanwhile Zx12s & Busas were breaching 150mph in the 1/4 on stock engines!!
And FYI... one guy had a Velasco built 51... He said his stock motor'd 12 in the same level of track prep sucked the paint off.
Cams $1000 ECU $1200 Radiators $2000 yadda yadda...
International road race trophies in the display case trump some shit tickets at a clapped together dragstrip :fu:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Crazy to think that todays motorcycles have almost 50% more HP and are much lighter than these dream machines of less than 20 years ago.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I'll always have a soft spot for the TLR. I raced one and won my first class championship on it. When I raced it with WSMC there was a twins class and I was racing against a few RC51s, Duc 916-996-998, a BMW Boxer and a Harley 883. The Duc was far and away the best bike for the class. The RC51 probably better than my TL but they were pretty close.

My TL was pretty dialed, it had attack tripple clamps, a penske shock to replace the crappy rotary damper and the M4 exhaust sounded awesome. My bike made a little over 120hp I think, which is less than my current R6.
One of the guys had an ex-WSBK 998 that made like 180hp at the time, that thing was blazing fast and sounded insane.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
One of my all time favorite racing photos. I'm on pole on my TLR, My buddy Rick is next to me on his RC51 and Jody next to him on his Bartels Harley. The three of us had some great races this season and I ended up winning the championship in one class and Rick won the championship in another class.

Jody used to get the holeshot like every race and then would ride the wheels off his Harley to keep Rick and I behind him for as log as he could. He would slide that bike everywhere. Rick and I would always get around him at some point, but it was never easy, he really was a very talented rider. Unfortunatly he passed away from cancer a few years after this photo.

There was also another rider on a 916 that was in the mix. Claudio's bike was crazy fast and he could blow by us all on the straight. Claudio had some issues with his riding though and tended to over cook the corners going in and Rick and I could usually get away from him after a couple laps.

Fun times for sure.

whipit1K

BAMF
I would like to have a nice mint TLR or RC51. Bikes I admired but would not buy because of the R1/GSXR1000 factor back in the day. Now that they are "classic" sportbikes, I really want them even more.

Problem is I am so used to the ADV bike ergo's, every time I get a sportbike or even a traditional sport tourer, I ride it a few hundred miles and say FUCK no. They are made for short people . short flexible people.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
I would like to have a nice mint TLR or RC51. Bikes I admired but would not buy because of the R1/GSXR1000 factor back in the day. Now that they are "classic" sportbikes, I really want them even more.

Problem is I am so used to the ADV bike ergo's, every time I get a sportbike or even a traditional sport tourer, I ride it a few hundred miles and say FUCK no. They are made for short people . short flexible people.
I’m 5’11” and it wasn’t bad for me.

rumble phish

BAMF+

whipit1K

BAMF
There is a very active Facebook group dedicated to 1990's sportbikes...people are starting to hoard the nice ones....so if you want any 1990's sportbike, be it 900RR, 98 R1, TLS/TLR, GSXR750, etc....better get out there and beat the bushes now, you may still shake out a decent one...it is getting harder

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com

View attachment 84092

View attachment 84091

View attachment 84090

View attachment 84093
I've owned a TLS. A VTR Super Hawk and an RC51 I like your list

Top Bottom