Gaming laptop recommendations?

Stetson

BAMF
My old laptop at work is dying. I'm thinking I'd like a gaming-capable laptop to replace it. I don't really know a lot about computers. I haven't been playing any computer games since the mid-nineties, when I went down the Playstation/Xbox roads. Haven't really had a PC at home since. Through the wonders of Youtube videos, I've seen both games that aren't available on console that I'd like to try, and games I have on console that might better on PC. And Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is coming out anytime now! In addition to occasionally fucking off at work playing games, I'd like to be able to "hook it up" to my TV screen at home.

"best gaming laptop 2020" search results come up with :

• Asus Zephyrus G14.
  • Alienware Area-51m.
  • Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701.
  • MSI GS65 Stealth.
  • Razer Blade.
  • Lenovo Legion Y740.
  • Gigabyte Aorus 17G.
  • Alienware m17 (2019)
I understand Alienware is owned by Dell, and my Chromebox is made by Asus, but I've never even heard of the others. I just mention this to show my level of computer knowledge. I was hoping to be around $1500 or less. It will be used 98% of the time while right next to an outlet, so battery life doesn't really concern me much.

One buddy I asked about the Alienware M17 said he "wouldn't buy a gaming laptop from anywhere except Dell" and he had a Dell G3. He said I should buy one of those, and spend the other $5-600 on "a sweet keyboard, mouse and monitor" but like I said, I'm going to use my TV.

Anyone have any recommendations?

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
I dont know if'n it's still true but lotsa high end games wouldn't run on fancy laptops because the video cards weren't supported.

Get a desktop rig for gaming.

OP

Stetson

BAMF
That budget would net you a decent gaming rig and a decent laptop for work.

Is that an option, or are you pretty set on a gaming laptop?
I'm looking for as much "gaming" capability in the laptop that the business is buying to replace mine. The business won't pay for a separate home system. I'm not set on spending that whole $1500, just want the most bang for the buck, and it's unlikely whatever I get will be replaced within 5-6 years (current one is 9 or 10 years old), so I'm hoping not to be instantly outdated. I know (think?) laptops aren't as upgrade-able as desktops.

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
For flight sims VR is the place to be. Unfortunately $1500 is not even close.
I would recommend to look into a gaming desktop with NVIDIA 2080 TI video card, the rest of specs should follow naturally. My guess it would be in a $3k range. Another $1k for quality VR setup and monitor. Flight controls will range from $200 - $1k.

Did some googling as the two names that came up were the Lenovo Legion and the Alienware M series, so I'd narrow the search down to those two models. Alienware has been a trusted brand for a couple decades. Higher end Lenovos are pretty good too. Reviews noted that the Legion had poor battery life (4.5 hours), but that doesn't apply in your situation and it was rated well performance wise. If you have a big box computer store nearby, I'd go try to find either model and play with them in person - that might be the deciding factor.

Two suggestions - Spring for at least 16 gigs of RAM, (if not 32 gigs) but you can always upgrade this down the line.

Get a laptop with a large SSD drive. A lot of the games nowadays are tens of gigabytes a piece. Last one I downloaded was almost 70 gigs. That'll take up space quick. Again, you can upgrade this later down the line, but save yourself the hassle of transferring files later and try to get as much storage as you can now.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Okay, as expected, laptops are not gaming rigs. It's really hard to replicate the performance of a proper desktop in a laptop. Not an option, so I'll move on...

Skimp on the CPU, not a huge factor in gaming, but I would consider a newer AMD/ATI combo (as opposed to Intel/nVidia). 1TB SSD and plan to replace your DVD with a second SSD. 16GB with the ability to upgrade without removing old memory (i.e. 16GB soldered and one slot that can hold a 16GB or two slots with one 16GB installed, etc.). The single most important factor is video. Splurge on the highest end video card you can. Tom's Hardware always has the most "subjective" performance tests.

You'll probably end up at a Dell/Alienware. If I ever had to go mobile for gaming, that'd be my direction.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Go cloud and make luckystrike jiz.
Pick the Google photos cloud and make him eat it.
...I need a computer for photos...this one would work if it wasn't not working....

...it won't let me load any photos...the card reader keeps crashing...

Vegas12

BAMF+
My wife ended up with a gaming laptop for work.

She did whatever due diligence she needed. No gaming but she liked the features to run her court reporting software. She ended up with an MSI.

It was flawless the last couple years she was working.

...I need a computer for photos...this one would work if it wasn't not working....

...it won't let me load any photos...the card reader keeps crashing...
I can send you a spare card reader I'm not going to use, but I suspect your problem is the computer, not the card reader.

Alienware.....or an HP Omen......then throw the rest of the budget at 2080 vid card
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omeomen-laptop-15t-7lg50av-1

Will run anything out there right now.

Out of the box it will run modern games......higher end card is just for extra nerd pointsšŸ¤£
HP Omen wicked machines. Looked at all of them bought it and I am not a gamer just for the performance and screen size. Weight is of no concern or size for that matter.

...the cloud is full and I am not paying for crap I don't use...

...I just want to sort out the card reader drivers...

...this con puter can't see my phone...

...the X-T30 down loads into the phone on it's own...
Do what I did. For the backup here at home run a RAID WD solution that updates daily. Also shoot it to the Cloud once a week using Acronis(handles all backups actually). Backs up my phone as well.

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...that is pretty much over my head these days, Dave...I've gooten a bit simple...

...there would be issues to sort out before any of that could happen...

...I am just looking to refresh and update the basic drivers in this heap...

...I finally get a decent camera and now I can't even upload any photos from it...fuk...

...the first time I uploaded files from this camera I was able to but then the next time program crashed and keeps crashing every time I run it...

...it's the same with another SD card...both the SD cards upload just fine into another computer...

...I can view the files but it freezes up when you try to move any...

...it's a Dell, maaan....I am hoping CZ will just PM his phone number...LoL...

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
I can send you a spare card reader I'm not going to use, but I suspect your problem is the computer, not the card reader.
...giggity...!!!...software issues...

...it does not see the camera if I plug into it...it does not find it to link up with via wireless...

...I used to be better at sorting this sort of thing out...brain damage can be discouraging....

...my primary tiny trusted Jewish computer repair shop seems to have disappeared... :frown:

If you're not a gamer, then how can you know it's good for gaming?
I do a little but Not hardcore. These machines have very robust cooling, processer, have not used the overclocking capability, graphics has 8 gig dedicated mem for a GeForce forgot the number and a 4k display, only 34 gig of memory but it works, SSD hd's and robust network capability. It is 2 years old now I keep them 5-6 years or so.

I need to process over a TB of data I back up (I do not do incremental takes more time but it runs in the background at night and verifies). Upload speed is what I am about not just download. My upload speeds are between 75 to over 1000 Mbps to my RAID set up and to the cloud (once a week) 50 to 75 mbps.

Zippy

pinhead
....AD should check out the commercial video cards...puts gaming card specs to shame....cost like a car....

...I might buy this refurbished computer just for photo files and software...no games...I will LAN files to my current (4K) machine too, fer the interweb n' shit...

...that could cut into my drug money...maybe that would be excessive...

...they were pretty straight forward aboot it...

The best laptop for photo editors is the HP Spectre x360 15. One of the most striking features of this laptop is that it reproduces a whopping 256% of the sRGB color gamut, which means which means you'll get rich, luxurious colors with sharp details and contrast.

...this should make it easier to evaluate my lenses and my images...

...my machine would work well if it worked and di na keep getting full of shit...I lost photo files in this computer during the last purge...

...the Specter would never be cruising the web...I would keep it off line unless it needed to download something...

...I will definitely pull the trigger on this if there are any left when I get my stimulus payment...it's not like more guns will do me any good... :razz:

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
...I like this one better than the best one...it's better than the best one...

...it would make a good cheap gaming system imho...

...it would make a much better video editor that the 1st system...another 8gb of memory for it is $43, which would bring it up to spec memory wise with the 1st Spectre that has the lesser CPU and GPU...

...the GPU (graphics card) is much stronger on this one...(GeForce is strong in this one :razz:)...

Jarred doesn't play games, he runs benchmarks. If you want to know about the inner workings of CPUs, GPUs, or SSDs, he's your man. He subsists off a steady diet of crunchy silicon chips and may actually be a robot.

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Hey Zippo, I have a Chromebook that has a built in card reader. The whole Chromebook was aboot $200.00.
I only use the thing when I have to travel somewhere. It will run 10~12 hours on its battery.

Zippy

pinhead
...all I really need to do is sort out the driver issues on my Dell machine...it can be the net whore...

...the only issue with the system I am looking at is a smallish SSD which is in conflict with handling large amounts of photo/video files...

...this one would be better in that regard @ 1 Terabyte SSD vs 512 Gigabytes SSD but it lacks this new fangled 32gb Optane memory boost...

...I don't know how important that is for running a game but it helps load files faster...

...I'd still want a dedicated photo/video work station like thing...I don't want it all corrupted with stupid shit...driver conflicts can ruin everything...

...a gaming computer and video editor are essentially the same thing...

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
...now I am not understanding why they would put Optane memory with SSD...

...none of these systems in question feature HDD , which, unlike SSD, would benefit form "boost" in loading files...

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
Can I use an Optane storage module with a SSD?
Performance improvements when pairing an Optane storage module with an SSD will be present, but much less dramatic. Based on these findings (and on the limitations in the next section), Optane is ideal for someone who wants to use a single, large HDD with their system instead of a smaller but faster SSD.

Zippy

pinhead
:confused2:...well, this one sold...was it one of you...???...I should just fix my old computer and buy a good wide lens...:biggrin1a:

Top Bottom