Fuji X-T30

OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...maybe not...!!!...at least not until I buy the X-T4...

...or I could use a tripod...LoL...

Denmark. We really have had the shittiest, most grey and flat winter in recent memory. It’s goddamn depressing! So most of the time I had to crank the ISO to get a well lit image. This is in part due to the fact that I don’t have any fancy-schuancy macro lights, but also due to the fact that at 2x macro the f/2.8 aperture is about as useless as it gets. The DOF is so thin that you will see front AND background blur within the width of a human hair. It’s so silly! So when you go into macro-mode. Plan on using AT LEAST f/5.6.
I shot most of it on my X-Pro3, but I also shot some of the images on my X-H1. The IBIS inside the X-H1 makes it possible to lower the ISO quite a bit when using this lens. So I definitely advice an IBIS capable camera for optimum output from the Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...some times it is the first thing you think and then you fuk it up from there...LoL...

...on another forum I was originally trying to compare the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 to the Fuji 16mm f/1.4, and leaning heavily in favor of the 14mm lens...

...some one mentioned the 10-24 and we went Full Hapo for a while...

Last edited:
I heard once that women photographers increase their skill level far quicker than men photographers because they're out busy shooting pics and not endlessly obsessing over their equipment and pixel peeping as men like to do with their equipment (double entendre fully intended).

Edit: my point being, go out there and shoot the fucking thing. When you start to get to the limitations of your gear, sell and upgrade. It's like analyzing the tread compound of tires for spirited riding - just get out there and flog the frickin thing.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...you are right on the money buko...

...this is exactly what I am dong now...outings are limited however...

...it has been a while since I had any decent equipment...15 years or so...I have had this camera for two weeks or so...

...I have run into a signifigent limitation in my gear already, and a surprising one, to me at least...

...I find I need a wider lens for what I am trying to shoot...I always though of my self as more of a telephoto guy...it's not like I want to return my (used $500) XF 55-200...

...the logical choice would be the 10-24 but it is big and heavy...this is what it has against it more so than any inferiority in IQ...

...it is like twice as big and heavy as the 14mm f/2.8...it is very conspicuous on the street...

...it is also slow @ f/4 max abature but it has OIS so that mitigates that issue...but it also would make a great video lens, unlike the 14mm prime...

...it gives up sharpness in the corners compared to the excellent 14mm f/2.8 but it seems like that lens gives up a lot in its own right in terms of versatility and a little in ability to isolate a close up subject...

...in some ways the choice is a no brainer if you had to pick one of these two lenses to cover a variety of situations...10mm is much wider than 14mm...

...still don't know if I need that...I know I need wider than 18mm...

...I have already stated that any difference in IQ would not really matter much at this level...

...all that said methinks we are all closeted pixel peepers...

...so which lens do you think we scored... ???... .!.:oldman1:.!.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...stark reality and the decision making process...

Klaus Wrote: Honestly - it just comes down to preference. All these lenses are very good.
...did you hold on to your XF10-24 f/4...???...asking for a friend... :razz:

...I decided to just go ahead and buy the used XF14mm f/2.8 before it sold too, although there does not appear to be quite the demand for it as for the XF10-24 f/4...

...I had actually ordered a used XF10-24 f/4 but was able to cancel it...after that it was snapped up in an hour...I do not think it had more than two hours of exposer...LoL...

...I had considered reordering it after reading the last review I posted here...I was still having the hesitation blues due to the mass of the thing...now it's gone...LoLoL...

...I don't know that I need a 10mm lens per se...I do know that I like the fact that the XF14 f/2.8 is as compact as the kit lens and can use the same filters...

...that might not make a big difference in the ability take better pictures but it might make a big difference in being taken along...

...thanks to all who responded to me n00b concerns…methinks it is time to start just shooting with what I have...

...that was some good advise some fag bitch gave me at another website... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...if I go to BV's (Brother Vinnie)'s place I will just rent a Fukin Fuji XF10-24 f/4 lens for the occasion...he is always working on something...fukin fuji fuk...

...I will need to rent a mic too...

...I have a small smart light in the mail...it's in quarantine...LoL...

...it would be nice, seeing ass ysr is too fukin stingy and cheep, if BilletMan would just buy this gear for us...it could be like a donation to the website...!!!...

...I could document his operation...!!!... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead

Verdict
FUJIFILM XF 14mm f/2.8 R Lens

Price ..
0.00US$

Please support our work in order to keep this site alive and kicking.
The Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 R is a highly attractive ultra-wide lens with few shortcomings. The most important factor for an ultra-wide lens is certainly image sharpness and the Fujinon delivers here. It is bitingly sharp in the image center and good to very good in the outer image region. The very low CAs contribute to the high quality perception. Distortions are basically absent - even in RAW data - which is surprising for such a wide lens and even more so for a mirrorless one. The primary weakness of the Fujinon is the very high amount of vignetting. Most RAW converters as well as the camera (JPEGs) can (mostly) compensate this automatically though. Looking at the close focus results, the bokeh is rather typical for an ultra-wide lens - it's rather nervous - which probably originates in the aspherical design.
The build quality of the Fujinon is very high and as such in line with the other Fujifilm offerings. It's mostly made of metal but since Fuji tried to minimize the weight it doesn't feel as rock solid as a Leica lens for instance. However, this is mostly a subjective impression. Objectively there's little to complain about except for the lack of weather sealing. Some users may not like the fact that it is comparatively large which is certainly true compared to a pancake lens such as the XF 18mm f/2 R. However, it is no brick either and the bigger the better in terms of potential image quality. The AF isn't really a decisive factor for such a lens but Fuji did a good job here actually - it is both quite fast and near silent. The pricing feels a little steep but it is fair enough in relation to the high performance. Therefore also highly recommended.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...can't post pix...site and Hapo be too stupid to figger out how to resize the jpeg file...

...have (wild) duck pix...did not shoot nor otherwise kill/harrass ducks...well, they did fly away...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...I did note that all the shutter bugs here seem to have us on ignore or some shit...LoL...I can take better pictures that every one (except stuman :eek: ) on a cell phone .!.:D.!.

...50 years ago my favorite lens was a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 on a Minolta SRT 101 SLR camera body....

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
...can't post pix...site and Hapo be too stupid to figger out how to resize the jpeg file...

...have (wild) duck pix...did not shoot nor otherwise kill/harrass ducks...
Some tymes this site will take a full 24 mp picture, some tymes not. Some, I just crop to drop the size of the phile.

Master-Cylinder

Some Ducks have a 360 deg field of vision.
I should have backed off on the Black Bellied Whistlers so I would have gotten their reflections. Next tyme, next tyme.

Master-Cylinder

Some of the best looking pictures I've taken were with a Kodak 5MP digital in Cripple Creek Colorado around 2003.

Austin_F

BAMF+

$500 off.

OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...that brings up a good point that there is very limited third party support for Fuji...it is a good thing they have a decent range of lenses of their own...

...if Snail goes Fuji I would recommend the new X-T4 as it represents the upper end of the line and has features that will be of value to him, namely weather sealing and in body image stabilization, not to mention greatly improved battery capacity...they fixed most of the X-T3's issues...

...perhaps he would rather go full frame and/or DSLR...that is where the the Canons really stand out...a lot more options there...

...one quickly reaches the point of diminishing returns in regards to cost and bulk, and both of those factors will reduce the number of pictures that actually get taken, imho...

...I got tired of just carrying the stuff I have now after an hour...

...in adding a really wide lens to my bag, I want to add as little mass as possible, as I still want to bring both zooms along as well... (18-55 & 55-200)

...I cannot realistically add more to the telephoto end...

...I am still second guessing my choice here as I really like the range offered by the 10-24 zoom and it is very sharp at the wide end where I was interested...

...it basically equaled the prime lens @ 14mm and could still open up to 10mm...that is huge...it only smeared the corners noticeably as it got out to 23mm...

...it has image stabilization built in too...that is no small thing... (...see what I did there...???...no small thing...???...)

...I can see where I might end up buying one if I start shooting a lot of video or decide I need a super wide perspective...

...I can also see it not coming along all the time...I noted this trend in a couple of reviews...

...I just missed a good deal that I had in the fuking bag...my inner Jew is still screaming but fuk that fuking fuk fuking Jew bastard fuking fuk...really...fuk him...:fuckyou:

...we made the mature decision here, rather than succumbing to naked geed... .!.:oldman1:.!.

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...the next burning issue is the macro thing...
Competition
There are a couple of macro lens options for Fujifilm X mount - both conventional and non-conventional ones. At the top of the food chain is the Fujinon XF 80mm f/2.8 LM R OIS macro - shown to the right above. It also by far the most expensive of them all at 1200USD or about 3x the price of the Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO (to the left). Obviously, it's fully coupled and features an image stabilizer. We only tested this one at 16-megapixels but in terms of sharpness, it should be in the same realm as the Laowa. Then there's the ol' but still very good Fujinon XF 60mm f/2.4 R macro. This lens is still more expensive but it's slightly faster at least and obviously shorter. On the downside, it can only focus down to 1:2 though. Then there's the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 macro (not shown). While the brand name may suggest otherwise, it isn't quite as good as the other options mentioned so far. On the other side of the price spectrum is the new 7Artisans 60mm f/2.8 macro. It costs HALF the price of the Laowa lens so if you are on a tight budget, it may be interesting. However, none of the mentioned competitors is an APO lens with axial CA correction - not even the XF 80mm f/2.8.

...it turned out the Laowa was actually sharper @26 MP than the Fuji XF 80f/2.8...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead

...you should really start with your lenses...

Verdict

FUJIFILM XF 50-140mm f/2.8 ...

Price ..
1299.95US$

The Fujinon XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR is a great addition to Fujifilm's lens lineup. It is ultra-sharp in the image center. The borders are outstanding at 50mm and still more than just decent at longer focal lengths. Lateral CAs are irrelevant which also helps to boost the high image quality perception. Most users will keep image auto-correction activated thus neither distortions nor vignetting are issue in this case. The native characteristic is worse here though. The quality of the bokeh is high for a zoom lens although prime lenses can be better still. Bokeh fringing isn't really an issue at f/2.8.
Fujifilm is targeting the professional market with this lens so the build quality is on an accordingly excellent level. Most body parts are made of metal and the broad, rubberized control rings are a joy to use. Everything is tightly assembled and the constant physical length as well as the weather sealing complete the positive impression. The AF is both fast and silent (for a mirrorless camera setup). Needless to say but the image stabilizer is highly useful in many situations. While we wouldn't really sign Fujifilm's efficiency claims but 3-4 f-stops are easily possible here.

All this comes at a price though. At around 1600US$/1500EUR it isn't exactly a budget offering but Fujifilm never played that game really. It is still worth to mention though that the Fujinon is more expensive than comparable full format DSLR lenses from Canon or Nikon. However, to be fair - the pricing is not outlandish given the high quality of the lens. Thus ... highly recommended!

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...this is the lens I thought I would be obsessing over...maybe Snail's huckleberry...

Verdict
FUJIFILM XF 100-400mm f/4.5...

Price ..
1399.95US$

The Fujinon XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR impressed me quite a bit - not only in the lab but also in the real life. Honestly I was almost about to purchase the lens from the rental company (but I kept my sanity). The center sharpness is very high throughout the zoom range. The borders/corners are also very sharp between 100 and 300mm. Expect slightly softer corners at 400mm though (but then who cares here). Lateral CAs are not a real issue. Most users will keep image auto-correction activated thus neither distortions nor vignetting are issue in this case. The native characteristic isn't quite as good here though. The quality of the bokeh is very decent for such a lens - at least technically - but don't expect wonders regarding the depth-of-field at conventional focus distances.
Fujifilm is targeting the semi-pro and professional market with this lens so the build quality is on very high level (although it doesn't touch the Canon EF 100-400mm USM L IS II or Sigma 150-600mm Sports here). Most body parts are made of metal and the broad, rubberized control rings are fun to use. The AF is both fast and silent (for a mirrorless camera setup). Needless to say but the image stabilizer is an essential ingredient on such a lens and Fujifilm's version offers an effective gain around the 3-4 f-stop mark ... depending on your coffee level.

Fujinon lenses don't tend to be budget items and I'm afraid that your bank account manager will cry a little if you decide to go for this one ... 1800EUR/1900US$. However, it is worth it and there are no other options for Fujifilm cameras in this class anyway. Highly recommended!

...this lens is getting dated so the prices are down...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...there was a used 55-200 in excellent condition but it is gone...they show up from time to time and last a day or so...

...if I were like Snail and getting to do it over I might do this to start :

...this outfit would be aboot $5896 new...(you could save $400 on a used 50-140 lens in G condition right now)...the 100-400 lens is backordered...

...eliminating the 100-400 lens @ $1399 would make the "deluxe package" more comparable to "my package" in focal range and number of lenses @ $4497...(or $4097)...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...I did this :

...the 18-55 lens is $300 less if you get it bundled with a camera...like the 55-200, used 18-55's in good condition sell quickly...they still retail @ $699...

...none of these lenses are weather sealed but neither is the X-T30...note that the 14mm f/2.8 prime lens does not feature OIS...

...that means in low light it will not really be much faster than the "slower" 10-24mm f/4 lens in regards to shutter speeds you can use...

(used @ $509)
(used @ $599)

...I spent aboot $2407 here...($2897 all new)...sometymes ($3489-$2090) less is more...!!!...

...my inner Jew stopped screaming aboot the lost $709 used10-24 lens (that Snail should buy new @ $999) when the inner Scotsman kicked him smartly in the balls....

...shame aboot that last used 55-200 f/3.5-4.8...it was in E+ condition @ $556...lasted two days...it is made in Japan so Snail could have bought it...

...methinks Snail is a good bit Scottish...maybe he should split the difference but methinks he should get the 10-24 whatever he does because I want it...

...and it sounds like a gun...a Fuji 10-24...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...both...???...

...it would be Ideal for land scape and architecture photography where you would want broad vistas but the with ability to zoom in closer on some detail...

...you would generally be in good light and not be worried aboot having the back ground out of focus to isolate the subject...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...with this flash unit my total is aboot $2536...I got it used too...there was tax and some shipping added...

...the photos are enlarged to show detail...it is quite compact...not much wider than the AA's that power it...

...one reason I like it is the old school dials vs screen displays...

...the new to me 14mm lens should be here soon and I will rush out to see if it is wide enough or if I should have gone with the 10-24 even though that thing is too big...

...all the buds are gone but the trees are still there...

Last edited:
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
...Abe's has the 100-400 in stock...the are backordered everywhere...I will have one of these but not today...

...I will probably blow off another computer and use my stimulus $$$ for one if that ever happens...hard to take good photos with a computer…

...it will need it's own case...then we'll shoot some ducks...!!!...one day I shall buy the X-T4 too...probably after the X-T5 comes out...I want the WR and IBIS...!!!... :hissyfit:

Last edited:
Top Bottom