Fucking KTM... Maybe Lucky is right.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
500 EXC Six Day jobby, can't put the wrist pin clip in without a special $100.00 KTM tool that I didn't have at 10:00PM nor time to order and wait for one. So I had to make one, I've never made a wrist pin clip tool before or ever needed one!:fu: I made the hardened pin adjustable because I didn't know how much protrusion it needed. Lost my ass on this deal.

IMG_3788.JPG

And then, look at the fucking ring end gap they specified! Fucking idiots. I even looked on the net for the corrected spec, found nada!

IMG_3791.JPG

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Those are a fucking bitch without the proper tool.
Sort of easy with the piston sitting on your lap. Sort of.... But when you have the piston stuffed in the cylinder, and try to put it in on the engine without the tool, no way! Lost one old clip just practicing on it. It is somewhere in the garage I heard it hit off in the distance. At least they give you a cutaway in the cylinder sleeve to get to the pin and clip.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Sort of easy with the piston sitting on your lap. Sort of.... But when you have the piston stuffed in the cylinder, and try to put it in on the engine without the tool, no way! Lost one old clip just practicing on it. It is somewhere in the garage I heard it hit off in the distance. At least they give you a cutaway in the cylinder sleeve to get to the pin and clip.
Ah yes.

The infamous geezuz clip.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Well yeah, if you already have the thing out and in your lap because you had to tear it all the way down it is easy.
Trying to make some time and installing it with the rod already in place is the rub.

They will fly away and into another dimension, either installation situation, when they get loose from your grip.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

On the positive side, it is super easy to adjust the valves on it, provided something isn't messed up. Just pull out the rocker arm shafts and arms, shims are right there.

Oh, and this all started because the guy who owns it was checking his valve clearance and thought he dropped a nut or bolt down the plug hole. So he stuck a magnet down the plug hole and fished around a bit... until he broke the magnet off in the cylinder. So it had to come apart, the magnet was stuck tight to the steel head gasket. I also found a washer laying in the intake tract. He decided sine we had it apart to have a new piston and rings stuck in it.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

So with your new tool, you just start the clip in the hole, and then rotate the tool and it rolls the clip into the groove? That's pretty slick!
You still have to damage the tip of your thump holding it down so it doesn't launch. But it works. I don't know why they don't just use Teflon buttons or something of that sort.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

So with your new tool, you just start the clip in the hole, and then rotate the tool and it rolls the clip into the groove? That's pretty slick!
KTM's idea, I just saw the picture of it and made one that would work. The factory tool looks nicer.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Note to self-
When replacing the piston of a KTM, forget OEM. Use a Wiseco, JE, Wossner, Mahle, anything that doesn't use the fukked up wristpin clips.

Different isn't always better.

hedgehog

BAMF
Well yeah, if you already have the thing out and in your lap because you had to tear it all the way down it is easy.
Trying to make some time and installing it with the rod already in place is the rub.

They will fly away and into another dimension, either installation situation, when they get loose from your grip.
in english mechanics parlance, that is what is known as a `pingfuckitĀ“.

most bikes have at least one.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm still scratching my head trying to recall what mill I was working on, that I saw that type of wrist pin keeper.

Not sure the ones I installed were that large so, I'm thinking it was an outboard engine or maybe even a Rotax? in a Sea Doo Speedster.
I do recall drawing blood from the end of a thumb in the process just the same.
There has been many a time where I wished and plotted to seek out the engineers, who designed shit that was more suited to causing injury than anything else...
...and kill them slowing with the offending parts in question.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Add to it the piston is in the cylinder and it's flopping around really makes it a joy. Ain't no way in hell you're going to slide the cylinder down onto the piston if it is on the rod, you'd ruin that dainty little oil ring, its expander and the wire inside of the expander.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Add to it the piston is in the cylinder and it's flopping around really makes it a joy. Ain't no way in hell you're going to slide the cylinder down onto the piston if it is on the rod, you'd ruin that dainty little oil ring, its expander and the wire inside of the expander.
There's a been a four wheeler or two that I did have enough room to get the piston on the rod since there was enough room but that was a while back on a Suzuki 230?
But yeah, juggling a cylinder with the piston in just enough to hold the rings and get it mounted to the connecting rod, is a trick.
I'm glad that part of life is in the past now.
Crawling around on the floor chasing spring clips is a young man's game.

BTW, what the hell are you still doing this shit for?
You some kind a masochist or sumpthin?

Can't you get the little woman to take on some overtime or a second job to feed you?

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Most recent challenge was doing the top end(s) on a 1942 Harley XA.

Opposed twin flat head, cast iron cylinders that weigh a metric ton.

No long studs to guide the cylinder.

Used a home made ring compressor and a mini bike lift jack to elevate the cylinder
to position. Piston already on the rod , with pin and clips.

Base of piston supported with a couple of pieces of square stock.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Most recent challenge was doing the top end(s) on a 1942 Harley XA.

Opposed twin flat head, cast iron cylinders that weigh a metric ton.

No long studs to guide the cylinder.

Used a home made ring compressor and a mini bike lift jack to elevate the cylinder
to position. Piston already on the rod , with pin and clips.

Base of piston supported with a couple of pieces of square stock.
It's like dropping a KZ1100 cylinder onto four pistons. But the absolute worst is the fucking Goldwing 1800 engine, the morons that "ride" them destroy the reverse gears in them, so you have to split the cases to fix it. To put it together, you have to lower one complete side of the engine down on the pistons using ring compressors with strings tied to them so you can pull them out. And then, with the inch or so gap you're left with, you have to apply sealer to the crankcase halves.
I never use the reverse on a fucking Garbage Barge Goldwing because I don't want to be the one it breaks on.

Top Bottom