Fucking Dealer thief....

Stetson

BAMF
First thing I do, when I get a rental car, is cut the two keys apart. The last three rentals I've got, the two keys were held together with metal cable, that couldn't be undone. Fuck that, I'm not losing two keys at once, and paying whatever Enterprise thinks they are worth.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
i lost a key for my streetbike many moons ago. Forever changed my habits... I leave the key in my bikes when parked. Same with rental cars...lol

Stetson

BAMF
I never had a key for my shovelhead, all the years I owned it. If I left it someplace sketchy, I had a hardened padlock for the fork lock.

i lost a key for my streetbike many moons ago. Forever changed my habits... I leave the key in my bikes when parked. Same with rental cars...lol
I never had a key for my shovelhead, all the years I owned it. If I left it someplace sketchy, I had a hardened padlock for the fork lock.
I lost the key to my Shovelhead Tour Glide back in the day. Fortunately, the ignition was not locked, so I could still drive it. I found a local locksmith that had the blank in stock. I rode the bike to his shop and he said to give him an hour, so I walked across the street to a bar and had a beer. Came back, bike was ready. The locksmith handed me the key... there were no fucking notches in it... just a standard blank. Worked fine. He shrugged. I shrugged. Paid him and left.

chuck356

BAMF
I've been selling service for over 40 years on cars and bikes. I come in under quote 97% of the time, and I also go by the 10% rule: If I quote $150 on a repair, I won't listen to any sniffling if the bill turns out to be $165. If it goes over that, the owner gets a phone call and we discuss the details. I have many customers that just say: "if it needs it, just do it." They almost get pissed if I call them if the job goes over quote. Then there are the ones that whine no matter what the price. They get scheduled "later".

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I've been selling service for over 40 years on cars and bikes. I come in under quote 97% of the time, and I also go by the 10% rule: If I quote $150 on a repair, I won't listen to any sniffling if the bill turns out to be $165. If it goes over that, the owner gets a phone call and we discuss the details. I have many customers that just say: "if it needs it, just do it." They almost get pissed if I call them if the job goes over quote. Then there are the ones that whine no matter what the price. They get scheduled "later".

What do you charge to revive an ancient British motorcycle that was built like an ancient British motorcycle? Do you charge them for research for WTF were they thinking when they built this?!

OP
OP

Vegas12

BAMF+

Which begs the question:

Would you call a customer and tell him that the bill went 10% over because the tech needed rags to program his key/FOB??

Asking for a friend.

What do you charge to revive an ancient British motorcycle that was built like an ancient British motorcycle? Do you charge them for research for WTF were they thinking when they built this?!
I'd tell them they are looking at at least 5k and I need 2500 down to get started. Because "revive" means they expect to ride the damn thing. If it comes in less everyone is happy, because cheaper means YOU didn't have to fuck with it as much too. If it takes more $ than it's another phone call, sorry.

Stetson

BAMF
Dad had a International Scout that could also be started with anything that fit in the keyhole.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Back in the olden days, you could either lock your cars ignition switch, or not. You could just leave it unlocked, drive it all day with out the key. You could lock the ignition if you felt like it, and had the key on you.

chuck356

BAMF
I straight up tell the customer that a job like this is impossible to estimate (and we don't want the job anyway), it's $70 per hour plus parts, I need $1000 down to start. That usually sends them scurrying.

Top Bottom