Fuck.. I wish I never saw this >:(

When I worked at the race car shop we chassis dyno'd a bunch of Procharger Mustangs. The torks "curve" looked like a table top. Smooth and flat all the way to 6000.

Do it!

OP
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
8-9 lbs of boost isn't 60-65% real world power increase, they're assuming 100% efficiency. What's the charge temp at boost?
You're probably correct. Not sure about the charge temp at boost.

On of the 4WD rags did a project build of a 2010 F150 with the Procharger "Street" kit (9 psi). It produced 418 hp and 399 ft lb at the wheels. Still very impressive for a bolt-on kit and 5 hours of work.

1570646126067.png

OP
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Not that I'm seriously considering this, but what are the dangers (besides the obvious) of adding 9 lbs of boost to a new motor that has just been barely broken in? 9 lbs doesn't seem like a lot. The increased power output would be well within the capabilities of the motor and transmission. Would the PCM need to be reflashed with a new tune, or would the computer adjust automatically?

Vegas12

BAMF+
Not that I'm seriously considering this, but what are the dangers (besides the obvious) of adding 9 lbs of boost to a new motor that has just been barely broken in? 9 lbs doesn't seem like a lot. The increased power output would be well within the capabilities of the motor and transmission. Would the PCM need to be reflashed with a new tune, or would the computer adjust automatically?

It comes with a tuner that has a canned, but very safe, tune.

You can dyno it or data link with a reputable tuner to optimize the tune....

The Kenne Bell blower/tune my son installed on his Mustang was garbage .....customer service was garbage.

$800 custom tune later it was hummin'!!!

OP
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well, I would assume the $5999 :eyepopping1a: suggested retail for the Procharger kit includes the install and tune. There's a shop about 15 miles from me that is a Procharger dealer/installer/tuner. Just for shits and giggles I might give them a call.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Well, I would assume the $5999 :eyepopping1a: suggested retail for the Procharger kit includes the install and tune. There's a shop about 15 miles from me that is a Procharger dealer/installer/tuner. Just for shits and giggles I might give them a call.
I just wrote it includes a tune....you're high if you think it includes installation.

My guess is $1000-$1500 for install.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
if it was me,i would go turbocharger over parasitic centrifugal setups.
Supposedly, the old PowerDyne type supercharger (I forget the type) are best for trucks because they put the powerband where a truck will use it most.
I suppose a turbo could also, with lots of tuning.

CZLoco

5.4 Triton PowerDyne install sound.
Sounds blehh.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
By the time you re done throwing money at this turd you could ve bought a Raptor

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
Supposedly, the old PowerDyne type supercharger (I forget the type) are best for trucks because they put the powerband where a truck will use it most.
I suppose a turbo could also, with lots of tuning.
someone gave me a complete Powerdyne... holy trash box. The plenum was the best part...lol

CZLoco

Not saying Powerdyne blowers are the best in the world.
Not for track cars anyhow.
But rebuild kits are out there and they're a good, fairly cheap way to add a little power to a truck.

Terry_Schiavo

Not saying Powerdyne blowers are the best in the world.
Not for track cars anyhow.
But rebuild kits are out there and they're a good, fairly cheap way to add a little power to a truck.
cheap is the key word. Turbos are inexpensive and so are shorty headers... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9047/overview/make/ford/model/f-150
The components to turbo it... lets call it $1500 all in. That just leaves the tuning on the table...
You can run 2-4lbs of boost with no issues.

CZLoco

Depending on install location, a turbo-rebuild can be more difficult than the typical supercharger rebuild.
Long-term wise, I'd probably go Supercharger.
Short-term, track-wise I'd go Turbo.
Big fat turbo sticking out of the hood. :D

CZLoco

I've never had a supercharger rebuilt but it looks inexpensive.
My old turbo had to be rebuilt a couple times in less than 25k miles.
Along with two blown head gaskets.
That sucked.
$$$

Vegas12

BAMF+
Rule of thumb(s):

Roots type blowers (positive displacement) are more better for instant torque but lose efficiency if spun too fast.

Turbos can make more peak power at the expense of lag.

Centrifugal blowers (the procharger in the OP and the POS powerdyne) are basically belt driven turbochargers....they can have lag since they need to spin to build boost.

Now throw that all out the window:

Ford's tiny V6 twin turbo out torques motors almost double its size and at a LOW RPM.

All the domestic (if you call FIAT domestic) high horsepower hot rods use a supercharger and make insane horsepower.

IMHO, a stout factory normally aspirated motor can be easily maxed out with a good, AND EASY, roots supercharger install.

So even if you THINK you can make more power with a twin turbo setup, a stock internal mill won't handle it and it's a more complicated install.

At the risk of YSRing myself, kid's Coyote with the middle 2.9L blower made over 1000HP (860 RWHP) on a custom tune.

There was still a 4.0L blower (or TT) if he wanted more, but knew he'd have to replace some internals for the next level.

Terry_Schiavo

Rule of thumb(s):
Turbos can make more peak power at the expense of lag.

Ford's tiny V6 twin turbo out torques motors almost double its size and at a LOW RPM.

So even if you THINK you can make more power with a twin turbo setup, a stock internal mill won't handle it and it's a more complicated install.
it aint the 70s anymore... turbo lag is non existant. Matter of fact (and BilletMan BilletMan will love this)... with cnc'd billet impeller wheels... T3s & T4s of old can deliver upwards of 20-40% increase in airflow by changing to a different profile wheel.

Vegas12

BAMF+
it aint the 70s anymore... turbo lag is non existant. Matter of fact (and BilletMan BilletMan will love this)... with cnc'd billet impeller wheels... T3s & T4s of old can deliver upwards of 20-40% increase in airflow by changing to a different profile wheel.

That's why I brought up the EcoBoost motors..... and to throw out old thinking with the bath water.

But it's still always a compromise on where you want the power vs the size of the hair dryers.

A PERFECT example is the ratings of the EcoBoosts in the 150's and Grumpaw's favorite sports car.

Terry_Schiavo

yah and whats hilarious was how well under the kurve the EB stuff does without a tune. Same mpg as a 5.4

Vegas12

BAMF+
yah and whats hilarious was how well under the kurve the EB stuff does without a tune. Same mpg as a 5.4
It's hilarious how brilliant Ford is..... or how ignorant the EPA is.

The EB's do get that precious 2-3 MPG extra when empty but, like you wrote, get the same economy (or less) when loaded/pulling as the bigger V8's.

Of course the MPG drive cycle is while empty.

Top Bottom