Fossil Point: Everything's bigger in Texas, except...

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
...MY SCORE :)

I was in Texas for the weekend, and was originally going to shoot The Dallas Gun Club's "Big D Open". But there were thunder storms on Saturday, and a guy as sweet as me might have melted in all that rain. Instead I opted for Fossil Point's "Wildflower Blast" on Sunday.

Fossil Point is located an easy hour's drive northwest of Dallas, just past Denton.

They had three course of fire, Green, White, and Master. Green and White were 100 bird events, Master was 50. Since I was pressed for time, I chose Master. I showed up early and met the "head honcho" (cowboy talk for the big boss) David Niederer, and his lovely wife "Mrs. Honcho" :)

David was kind enough to find me somebody to shoot with, Clayton Nance and August Crocker. We geared up and headed out. David had told me that today's Master course was stiffer than usual, and he wasn't kidding.

Station 1 had a MONSTER chandelle, followed by ROCKET SHIP right to left crosser. I watched the two other guys shoot it, and I was scared. I stepped in and CRUSHED the first pair, and I should have walked off the course right there :)

Station 2 had a true pair of MONSTER teals, that I managed to somehow break a few. Station 3 had another MONSTER chandelle, and an incomer that stopped coming in at about 75 yards Guess who got to lead off here?

Not only did I forget to bring my binoculars, I forgot my "Texas skeet chokes" aka EXTRA TURKEY. This one killed me and I walked away with a "1".

What Station 4 lacked in distance, it made up for in SPEED. A right to left crosser down in the valley, followed by a left to right ROCKET SHIP crosser, also down in the valley. Station 5 was somewhat sane, but by then I was dreaming about lunch.

As we finished, David showed up, and one of my squad mates remarked, "I should have brought my rifle". To say today's targets had "distance" is like saying Texas has a "few" BBQ joints.

Was it tough, yeah. In fact I saw a couple of Northbrook guys crying in the parking lot :) But they were great targets, and everything was fair. David even took me on a tour of the rest of the courses, and they seemed "soft" compared to what we had just been thru.

I ended up with a 17 (out of 50) and was happy to be above 10, Clayton came in with 29, and August was one bird back with 28. But were these guys any good? How did they finish in the other two courses.

Well, let me tell you. Clayton took M1 (runner up) on the Green course with a 97, and August, well August took HOA on the white course with a 92. Those boys can shoot.

David said they're holding the Texas Sate Championship there next year, and once they post the dates, it'll be on my schedule. If you're in the Big D (Dallas) for any reason, drive up to Fossil Point, you'll be glad you did (pilgrim).

Fossil Point
7282 FM 51, Decatur, TX 76234
9H49+H3 Slidell, Texas
fossilpointe.net
(940) 393-6402
Google Maps

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
I'm going to have to take a free post, we've seen those pictures before.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Is that Brad sitting with all his friends?

MadRussian

HOLYBAMF
You couldn't take time out of your busy schedule to come out to Austin for 20th reunion, yet you think somehow we give a shit about anything you do?

Stetson

BAMF
I like the shooting station with the giant pile of mangled culvert off to the right. Do they have a demolitions range?

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
18/50? When you swing for a deflection shot does your belly keep up with your shoulders?

Snail

I gave you a one bird tip!

Snail

Did the score keeper get hoarse from calling "LOSS" 32 times?

Snail

Are the birds random or does everybody in the squad get the same birds?

OP
OP
ysr_racer

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
You think what you are posting here is interesting?

I ride my bike almost every day, but since most here don't even own a bike, they would not find it interesting...
It's not really the sport or activity that makes it interesting, it's the man telling the story :)

Austin_F

BAMF+
It's not really the sport or activity that makes it interesting, it's the man telling the story :)
I dont think it matters who tells the story if it's a story of mediocre buffets and outhouses lol

Top Bottom