For the Toyota fans out there....

r1racer

All Q All the Time
Looks like it's soon gonna be nearly impossible to get your hands on a new one....

Toyota has so far avoided any significant production pauses due to the chip shortage, though that streak of good fortune is coming to an end. A problem that has plagued nearly every other automaker has finally found Toyota, and it’s looking to steal nearly 40 percent of the company’s global production next month as the company idles factories in the US, Canada, Mexico, and other parts of the world....

It’s unclear when the shortage will resolve itself, though it doesn’t appear that it will be anytime soon....

BarryW

BAM
Market response to their decision to drop the V-8 option on the 2022 Tundras should be interesting. The twin turbo V-6s (a la Ecoboost) have balls, but are fraught with the pitfalls of all high tech wizardry when it comes to reliability and durability. IMO every full size pickup in the North American market needs a naturally aspirated V8 option to maintain the attention of the purists

Vegas12

BAMF+
Saw a documentary where they kept a 6-month supply/cushion of semiconductor chips, unlike all the other automakers who did not and ran short. Thought Toyota would be okay.

Interesting in that Toyota was instrumental in teaching the domestics "supply on demand" manufacturing.....it kept costs down as well as provided for quicker redesigns.

Though the 1st motor I ever rebuilt was a '71 toy 1600 pushrod lump......took a '69 oil pump after 3 tries.

Last edited:

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
I’m set. 2019 and 2000 4Runners in the driveway. I have been stockpiling a few items for each that will get us another 60k miles down the road if needed.

Just finishing all new suspension under the 2000. Needs tires next

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Fuck Toyota load them all on the Golden Ray then take a cruise. Maybe save the old Prius battery packs for off grid power projects. Seems to me an "old only charges to 80 percent" Prius pack might be a decent substitute for the trolling motor lead acid things in an RV.

Top Bottom