For the Motorhome crowd...

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
guess Im not comfortable with 3000lbs of vehicle plus whatever the lift weighs...

Use that tiny little thing hanging off the trailer hitch for beer runs, :up: and sooner or later it will get you squished :thumbdown::eek:
I think I'd rather have a dual sport or two, back there.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
guess Im not comfortable with 3000lbs of vehicle plus whatever the lift weighs...
The little smart car is 1500 lbs, those diesel pusher rigs handle that no problem. Especially a tandem rear axel rig.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
The little smart car is 1500 lbs, those diesel pusher rigs handle that no problem. Especially a tandem rear axel rig.
Im pretty sure the additional axle does not increase the load rating. Besides the lift has to be mounted to the frame in a secure manner. Im gona guess its at least 700lbs of additional weight with the hydraulics. Didnt think those cars were that light... thats golf cart weight. :D

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Seen a nice set up where the mini was inside on a lift. That was awsome

Last edited:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I would think that set up with a couple of 2 or 3 sport bikes would be pretty cool too....

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Where do the dirt bikes go?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I like Wormser's setup.
But swap the Ram for a CYBERTRUCK. :D

BigBusa

BAMF+
Our most recent RV. Vintage Honda hanging from the front. :)
00c0c_d6FXILU8MAk_600x450.jpg

085_zps1c0bb575.jpg

Fever500

BAMF
Honda Express ... that takes me back! You can hotwire them super easy .... They sound bitchen with a Kerker on them. LOL.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Several RVers are using Class 7/8 rigs for Smart car and fifth wheel hauling.

Here's one of them...

I looked into this briefly, but the extra expense just wasn't justifiable to me.
man that torques the hell out of those axels, they did it on grass for a reason.

BigBusa

BAMF+
Several RVers are using Class 7/8 rigs for Smart car and fifth wheel hauling.

Here's one of them...

I looked into this briefly, but the extra expense just wasn't justifiable to me.
how do u get the smart car down?

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
seriously though, there's a number of different ways this can be done. I've seen elaborate set ups that are hydraulic loaders which closely resemble how a flat bed tow truck works to just using plain old ramps. Remember, these cars are really light. It's not like you're loading a crown vic on the beck.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
That platform is impressive. What stories do you have so far about changes in slope and rear ground clearance?

busa10

BAMF
No stories yet but like any RV you gotta pay attention. Here's the rack I made where the ramps slide in...

Ramps.JPG

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I put a healthy bend in a 6" drop ball adapter in Austin this year. I was quite immobilized, thread end of the ball stuck into the asphalt, drive wheels off the pavement. The twelve foot enclosed trailer was across a travel lane. Some helpful locals had boards in their pickup beds, enough to use as shims under the leveling jacks and slide the ball hitch out of the receiver.
A local used his pickup to place my trailer where we could re hitch.
Intersection of Fagerquist and Linden, start of a great time in Lot N.

edit: result of a failed yoouie, a sign was hidden in a tree, visible only in one direction of travel.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

busa10

BAMF
I put a healthy bend in a 6" drop ball adapter in Austin this year. I was quite immobilized, thread end of the ball stuck into the asphalt, drive wheels off the pavement. The twelve foot enclosed trailer was across a travel lane. Some helpful locals had boards in their pickup beds, enough to use as shims under the leveling jacks and slide the ball hitch out of the receiver.
A local used his pickup to place my trailer where we could re hitch.
Intersection of Fagerquist and Linden, start of a great time in Lot N.

edit: result of a failed yoouie, a sign was hidden in a tree, visible only in one direction of travel.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Easy to do. We live and learn.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The possibility of imminent disaster is what separates camping from just sitting around the house.

Top Bottom