Food and Booze

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Throwing the smack down to Paula Dean as I get better and better at Southern cooking .

20211128_092131.jpg

The Grits are on par with the best I've tasted. Using some NY sausage I had shipped sets me apart from the standard sasuge here. 20211128_092450.jpg

If I had big money I would just travel from region to region and try to master all America has to offer.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
OK, let's hear your methods for making the perfect bone-in prime rib roast.

I'm picking up a five rib roast for Christmas dinner next week. I've been watching too many videos and seen too many websites that all claim their way is the best. I've digested all of it down to something along these lines:

1) Roast will sit wrapped in cheese cloth in the fridge for no less than 24 hours before being removed from said fridge on the day of cooking.
2) Roast will be removed from fridge four hours before it goes in the oven. At this time, it will rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, and a couple other things, all made into a paste.
3) Roast after sitting for four hours in a rub, will be put into a 225 degree oven for 30-35 minutes per pound. I'm estimating it to be a ten pound roast, so in theory, that's a minimum of 300 minutes (sounds insane). I will have a thermometer probe in the roast, with an alarm set to go off at 120 degrees. So regardless of time, it's coming out at 120 degrees. We'll see how well time estimates line up with cooking time. Cary-over heat should take the internal temp up to close to 135 degrees.
4) Roast will sit on the counter for no less than 45 minutes to rest, and let the carry-over heat do its thing.
5) Oven will be turned up to 500 degrees and roast will go back in for no more than 15 minutes to put a nice sear on the outside.
6) Roast will be removed and sit for another 15 minutes before carving.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
No salt before putting it in the fridge?

I mean I usually season mine and then let it sit overnight or longer in the fridge and come out with great results.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
500 degree.. then off in sealed oven.. it's my perfect go to method
500 for how long? Some stuff I saw today suggested tossing it in a 500 degree oven for X minutes, depending on size, then shutting off the oven and letting it sit there for a couple hours.

S.C.

Vegas12

BAMF+

I'm picking up a five rib roast for Christmas dinner next week. I've been watching too many videos and seen too many websites that all claim their way is the best. I've digested all of it down to something along these lines:

1) Roast will sit wrapped in cheese cloth in the fridge for no less than 24 hours before being removed from said fridge on the day of cooking.
2) Roast will be removed from fridge four hours before it goes in the oven. At this time, it will rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, and a couple other things, all made into a paste.
3) Roast after sitting for four hours in a rub, will be put into a 225 degree oven for 30-35 minutes per pound. I'm estimating it to be a ten pound roast, so in theory, that's a minimum of 300 minutes (sounds insane). I will have a thermometer probe in the roast, with an alarm set to go off at 120 degrees. So regardless of time, it's coming out at 120 degrees. We'll see how well time estimates line up with cooking time. Cary-over heat should take the internal temp up to close to 135 degrees.
4) Roast will sit on the counter for no less than 45 minutes to rest, and let the carry-over heat do its thing.
5) Oven will be turned up to 500 degrees and roast will go back in for no more than 15 minutes to put a nice sear on the outside.

S.C.

I'll take a free one....j/k.

Dragon 350

BAMF

S.C.

What do you like your prime rib at? Temp?

You like you're prime rib medium?

Dragon 350

BAMF
My go to.

Let it sit on the counter for 8 hours to defrost, season it and let it sit another 4 hours. Depending on how its warming up, it all about getting it up to room temp before cooking, same with a rib eye or any steak.

123 deg. Pull it, wrap it, slice it in 20-30 minutes.

Enjoy.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Tonight I'm making my "Drunken Butternut Squash Soup". Here is the recipe:

1: Make a strong White Russian in a 16 Oz glass or larger.
2: Chop up a shitload of squash, onions, garlic, onions, and carrots.
3: Toss the veg in olive oil and spread on cookie sheets. Season with a light dose of salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
4: (20 minutes pass) Make a big Jack and Coke in your LABusas glass.
5: (20 minutes pass) Make another big Jack and Coke in your LABusas glass.
6: Do you see where the recipe name came from?
7: Dump roasted veg in portions, into a blender and blend until smooth. Empty into large soup pot. Do this with all the roasted veg.
8: Simmer while adding veg stock and heavy cream until consistency is creamy.
9: Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper until fucking delicious.
10: Make another big Jack and Coke.
11: Wake up tomorrow, regretting the fact that I have a personal trainer appointment at 11:30.

Follow me on www.fuckyoualltohell.com for more recipes.

S.C.

r1racer

All Q All the Time
You're talking stew in a prime rib conversation? Asshole!

Kill him now!
chill dragon.... try sum broccoli and b....

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

BigGar

high on placebo
burly made my Gramma's endive mashed potatoes. Crunchy bacon chunks, endive, and vinegar all whipped up into the taters. Just incredible with a pat of Kerrygold. I talked her into attempting ham gravy but we all agreed that it was just too damn salty to bother with and dumped it. The potatoes, nor the ham, needed any gravy anyway. Proper good stuff, as per usual when she's cooking.

LE05BUSA

GFY
I had a nice whole USDA Prime New York roast that I cut into steaks. Cheesy hash brown potatoes, leftover fresh pork/apple sausage cornbread dressing from Christmas Eve's turkey dinner, a nice green salad, and I made a pineapple upside down cake for dessert. It snowed a bit, then dropped another 4" today.

20211225_185341.jpg20211225_194206.jpg20211225_194227.jpg20211225_165520.jpg20211225_185040.jpg20211226_134839.jpg

Top Bottom