Food and Booze

BigGar

high on placebo
So did you sous vide those or just put them in a warm oven for awhile, then pull them out and put the sear to them?

Drakhen

BAMF
So did you sous vide those or just put them in a warm oven for awhile, then pull them out and put the sear to them?
In the oven at 225 till they reach an internal temperature of 125, then I let them rest about 20 minutes wrapped in foil, then back into the oven at 525 for about 5 to 7 minutes per side (this can be more or less depending on where the rack is in relation to the heat). I'm not sure the resting stage makes any difference, but I needed the oven for something else anyway, so it works out.

A sous vide setup has been on the "things to get" list for a while, but I just never seem to get around to it.

BigGar

high on placebo
In the oven at 225 till they reach an internal temperature of 125, then I let them rest about 20 minutes wrapped in foil, then back into the oven at 525 for about 5 to 7 minutes per side (this can be more or less depending on where the rack is in relation to the heat). I'm not sure the resting stage makes any difference, but I needed the oven for something else anyway, so it works out.

A sous vide setup has been on the "things to get" list for a while, but I just never seem to get around to it.
Then sear and torch after that?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Okay, a full 30 hours in and I get to sit down to a scratch made bowl of split pea soup...

...with nice sized cubes of ham added.

It needs to sit overnight to soften up some more, a tiny bit gritty just yet and let the flavors mingle a bit but,
It's fucking righteous, right now as it sits.

I'll take it up to share with my dad and sister tomorrow for lunch, it should be perfect by then.

Maybe I'll take some pictures of it then.
Right now, I'm gonna eat it the bowl full in front of me!

Fuck all you haters! :fu:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The ham cube dimensions are critical to success

Too big, and it feels like a sandwich

Too small, if feels like cereal

Did you get it right?
Yes, I did, IMHO.

1/2" x 1/4" cubes, most of them.
Some a little bigger, a few a little smaller.
Two cubes fit on a teaspoon average and still enough room for the soup.

Hickory Smoked Ham.

I may add more tomorrow.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Age thing sucks. The more complicated food is the worst I react. These days I like simple meat, salad combos.
Oh, I could eat it but, I'd be fucked for the rest of the week.
I can cheat a little from time to time but, I still have to do it sensibly.

Salads, I'm stuck with oil/vinegar as or a mustard/citrus type dressing...
...which sucks because I dearly love a homemade blue cheese dressing.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Did some Butter rolls and a butter bread Loaf20210302_132600.jpg

Some Batch of Beef and a Batch of chicken Empanadas 20210302_180426.jpg

Some of my Meat balls with one of my Italian Breads 20210220_170334.jpg

20210220_161540.jpg

One of my Pizzas on a Charcoal webber in the Snow 20210216_124508.jpg

Some Perogie I did

20210210_152628.jpg

Sunday Rolls 20210201_175008.jpg

Making the Pasta
20210129_161651.jpg

Rib Roast

20210127_162714.jpg

I didn't make it but I sure did eat it..While in Texas IN N OUT .

20210222_155434.jpg

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
Stites Stites turned me on to an egg cooker... Ive been using the hell out of it.
Only problem is it can only do 1 egg at a time poached style. It can soft/med/hard boil 7 xl eggs.
Ive got it down to about 4 mins to poach an egg and make the perfect english muffin for breakfast.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
WarpSpeed...

The bulgarian feta from restaurant depot IS THE SHIT.
Most places who sell bulgarian feta doesn t compare. Its completely different.

But the one they sell at restaurant depot is the BOMB. You can spread it on bread it s so creamy.
I actually like both, the Bulgy and the Greek as the Bulgy is great to put on a burger or spread on a piece of toast...

The greek feta is a tad drier and crumbles on salads or with watermelon, grapes or other fruit.
It s great to have both.

The nearest restaurant depot from me is 3 hrs away so I stocked up on a few 5 lb buckets of each.

Risked the gout and had some deer burgers today, couldn t resist the smell and flavor. I didn t take pics but next time I will.
I got a stocked icebox with deer, red stag, elk, buffalo and moose... Some straight up burger meat and others labeled "sweet italian sausage"

Hope i don t gimp around from eating it

BigGar

high on placebo
Stites Stites turned me on to an egg cooker... Ive been using the hell out of it.
Only problem is it can only do 1 egg at a time poached style. It can soft/med/hard boil 7 xl eggs.
Ive got it down to about 4 mins to poach an egg and make the perfect english muffin for breakfast.
Who the fuck eats one egg? 🍽

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I'm one of those guys who is learning to cook later in life.
Like, within the last year.

One of my favorite things so far, is Stroganoff.
Hamburger-helper style of course, because I'm very entry-level when it comes to the stove thing in my kitchen.
I didn't used to care much Stroganoff about until after I realized I really like green peppers and onions.
And started sauteiing (sp?) them and adding it to the Stoganoff. Yum!

This time I had some "use it or lose it" fresh mushrooms that I added, and it turned out well.

So now I need to whick up my cooking game and make some REAL stroganoff some day.

Also, I need recommendations on a pan for doing what I'm doing on the left of this pic.
Because I have no lids that fit that pan and I want a pan+lid combo. It's a deep pan.

rumble phish

BAMF+
CZLoco CZLoco go to your local Costco and pick up the Kirkland Hard Anodized cookware set. Pretty much everything you'll need. Get a set of good, sturdy stainless steel or glass mixing bowls as well. Oh, and a couple of casserole dishes. And if you don't have a good rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker... get one.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
10 or 12" frying pan with lid works well.
Just like your veggie pan w/ lid.
I tried the pan on the right but it's too shallow for stuff that reuquires a lot of stirring/flipping over.
I'll admit that may also be my inexperience talking.

Hamburger Helper?????

Ummmmmmm.

;)
We all start somewhere :lol:

rumble phish

BAMF+
Cook up some 80/20 ground beef, mix in a packet of your favorite taco seasoning (or your own mix, as I do) and then mix it in with some Mac and Cheese. Damn good stuff.

Also, it's really easy to make your own Alfredo sauce. One cup of heavy cream, 1/2 up of butter (I prefer salted sweet cream butter), 1 clove of garlic (crushed), 3/4 cup of grated parmigiano reggiano, and a 3/4 cup of grated Romano cheese. Heat the cream and butter to just boiling (stirring to keep from burning), remove from the heat and mix in your cheese. Let it melt and serve over your favorite pasta (fettuccine or shells are my favorite) with some chopped fresh parsley. Throw some grilled chicken in or saute some shrimp "scampi" style with it. :up:

Top Bottom