Food and Booze

Wretch

amazingly graceful
A couple from Cambodian have a doughnut shop here and I managed to talk the wife into making some home spiced fish sauce for me.
The husband kind of freaked out when she gave me the list of ingredients used and said something in Cambodian to her.
So, the info got limited to ingredients only and not the amounts of each, stating it's up to personal taste on how much of each.
I can figure it out, I'm certain.
It might have been me mentioning I was looking to open up a restaurant right across from them, as a joke.
They are very nice people for human beings.

The sauce she gave me is fucking awesome on the breakfast tilapia.
Seasoned in the pan it's hot but very pleasant.
However, spooned directly on the fillets after cooking brings the heat and still quite bearable.

I'm about to make some now, fuckers. :fu:

LE05BUSA

GFY
Cheddar/blue mix?

Also, Friday, June 14th is National Bourbon Day. I'll be picking up two bottles of Clyde May's.

S.C.
They call it a Huntsman...double Gloucester and a Stilton. You can get a reasonably priced version at Trader Joe's.

Try that Remus Repeal. It's exceptional.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
They call it a Huntsman...double Gloucester and a Stilton. You can get a reasonably priced version at Trader Joe's.

Try that Remus Repeal. It's exceptional.
I'll look for the Reums tomorrow. Tomorrow is pay day, so, it's haircut and bottle of booze day. But I am all out of my #1 bourbon, Clyde May's. So, I'm getting one of those no matter what. Actually, I'm getting two. One for a friend who is moving to Canada, and one for me.

BTW, who here is a fan of Blanton's? I've encountered a contingent who would kill for bottles of that stuff. It's good, but it's not any better than many other bourbons I've tried.

S.C.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Feta on everything...burgers, chicken, pizza, etc. Bulgarian Feta if I can get it.
Do not eat bulgarian feta!
Its made with GLUE and other harmful ingredients.
You can do an easy test with your feta to determine if it's made with milk or other products... One way is to cut a piece of feta the size of a small box of matches and bring it to a boil in a little bit of water. If it dissolves, it's fake and stay the fuck away from it.
Another way is to cut a similar piece and freeze it overnight.
If the next day the feta crumbles, it's fake. It should keep its consistency.

Feta should be uneven and with air holes throughout. If u see smooth textured feta, it's fake.
The cheaper feta is ALWAYS made with non dairy products. It takes a lot of milk to make a little feta so the most expensive stuff is usually the good shit.

Find a restaurant depo or specialty foreign food stores for the good greek feta

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
And how u guys drink scotch and wiskey is beyond me.
I can t even taste it without dry heaving, the smell alone is enough to make me barf.
Wiskey is probably the unhealthiest booze there is.
If I were to be a boozer like u lushes, i'd probably make my own shine

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Do not eat bulgarian feta!
Its made with GLUE and other harmful ingredients.
You can do an easy test with your feta to determine if it's made with milk or other products... One way is to cut a piece of feta the size of a small box of matches and bring it to a boil in a little bit of water. If it dissolves, it's fake and stay the fuck away from it.
Another way is to cut a similar piece and freeze it overnight.
If the next day the feta crumbles, it's fake. It should keep its consistency.

Feta should be uneven and with air holes throughout. If u see smooth textured feta, it's fake.
The cheaper feta is ALWAYS made with non dairy products. It takes a lot of milk to make a little feta so the most expensive stuff is usually the good shit.

Find a restaurant depo or specialty foreign food stores for the good greek feta
I used to live by an Eastern European Deli/Dry Goods Store....they had 4 or 5 different type of Feta, big huge blocks in their own dedicated cooler....Greek, Bulgarian, French and the others I forget. Even had a lot of the good hard Greek cheese. Haven't been there in close to 12 years, I need to drive over sometime soon and see if it's the same owners, same nice cheeses, etc.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
And how u guys drink scotch and wiskey is beyond me.
I can t even taste it without dry heaving, the smell alone is enough to make me barf.
Wiskey is probably the unhealthiest booze there is.
If I were to be a boozer like u lushes, i'd probably make my own shine
To each his/her own. I've had plenty of shitty bourbons/whiskies/scotches. But I've also had some real nice ones. I love my Clyde May's and I enjoy a snort of that on occasion. And just last night, I had a taste of this for the first time, and it's fucking excellent. I'll be grabbing a bottle soon.

S.C.

BigGar

high on placebo
Scott,

That's one scotch that I can't handle at all. Laphroaig is similar.

Too smoky. Too peaty. Too bookoo.

Like licking a piece of charcoal.

But to each his own :)

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Pulled butter/garlic/ lime chicken yesterday over rice went well.
Bert'ed pictures as it was eaten, taken with the Billetcam by Jedi.

I did get my new LED lights working in the cave yesterday so I can avoid picking up a copperhead in the dark though.

Anyway today, for Father's Day, it's inch and a half thick rib eye steaks, mini portabello mushrooms sautéed in butter/roasted garlic for garnish, savory herb little potatoes on the side.
Steaks seasoned with a little Old Bay, salt & pepper Friday evening, left in refrigerator to do what ever curing they can.
I promise to have some pictures later this evening if I don't make another Boomer move and forget to have my camera pointed at what I'm doing instead of doing what I'm doing.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Scott,

That's one scotch that I can't handle at all. Laphroaig is similar.

Too smoky. Too peaty. Too bookoo.

Like licking a piece of charcoal.

But to each his own :)
I love that peat, and yes, it's super fucking peaty. I'm down for a snifter on occasion, but it could not be a daily drinker.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Dear God, if I live to see morning, I'll download the pictures to my PC and post them here then.

Fuck, I ate too much...

...maybe a few too many beers too.

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...not us...just two beers and sent an inflammatory mess back to the kitchen...

…"prime" rib should not be hard to cut, never mine chew...

...we did has some asparagus...now we glad are spared our gut the ordeal...

...you should have seen the ridiculous toxic "desserts"...:greedy::screama::luckystrike:

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Hey, I like it mellowed down a bit!

If you want it neat, you're welcome to it.

Too bookoo for me.

Might be sacrilege, but I know what I like.
I proofed down a neat glass of Old Bones bourbon the other day at Magnum's, the local higher end booze/cigar store/bar I visit on occasion. One small ice cube, and it was way better. But in almost every other situation, I'm a neat drinker.

I started off drinking all my bourbons on the rocks, but I started noticing that they were better neat, and sipped a bit slower, to really take in the aroma and flavors.

S.C.

BigGar

high on placebo
Just ran out of Woodford's. It's a lovely bourbon for sure.

L/S, I do have a couple of those ice ball makers and use them often. Freezers all packed with fish right now so no room for the ice balls. I did look for them when pouring the scotch.

BigGar

high on placebo
I proofed down a neat glass of Old Bones bourbon the other day at Magnum's, the local higher end booze/cigar store/bar I visit on occasion. One small ice cube, and it was way better. But in almost every other situation, I'm a neat drinker.

I started off drinking all my bourbons on the rocks, but I started noticing that they were better neat, and sipped a bit slower, to really take in the aroma and flavors.

S.C.
I've got some Bookers, which is a favorite, but at 127 proof, it really needs some ice.

Curious, I have all of the deionized water I can use. I wonder if that would make good booze ice? It's pretty much 0-4 PPM of dissolved solids, as opposed to my tap water which is closer to 400. Tap water has always tasted just fine though.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I've got some Bookers, which is a favorite, but at 127 proof, it really needs some ice.

Curious, I have all of the deionized water I can use. I wonder if that would make good booze ice? It's pretty much 0-4 PPM of dissolved solids, as opposed to my tap water which is closer to 400. Tap water has always tasted just fine though.
Distilled vs. deionized. Fuck tap water completely. Not sure what difference it would make between distilled or deionized. One or the other is probably not going to cause any problems with your glass of booze. Just toss out the tap water as an option. Also don't EVER consider using refrigerator ice in a drink. That shit is junk.

S.C.

BigGar

high on placebo
BigGar

Jebus you were off to a good start

Next thing you'll be telling us is that you take your steaks well done
That magic spot between medium rare and medium is where I want to be. I've been playing around with a Joule sous vide lately with mixed results. Also picked up a sweet meat thermometer. Not the poke to check style, but the one you can put in and leave in with a wire running out of the oven or grill. I think I need to up my searing game next. I've got a torch, but there's a special end to put on the torch for even better searing.

Top Bottom